Aetna

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Aetna in November 2011.

Interview Details – Found the position thru, Dice.com
1) HR contacted me and arranged Technical interview.
2) Manager interviewed
3) two senior engineer Interviewed

Health Care Manager Interview

Health Care Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Aetna in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very thorough in 2009. Extensive discussion with Aetna recruiter, and two step process for application. Following screening had second tier of paper work. Met with four separate leaders face to face for interview at site of position (Phoenix). Also had telephonic interview with remote leaders. Start to finish took 8 weeks to get offer. Once got offer, took another month before start date confirmed. Drug testing and background check.

Interview Question – questions were very situational. One question asking me describe a project where I had struggled and how I what I would do differently today if I had a similar project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They met what I had told the recruiter I was seeking in the first phone screening, and added 1% more than I had asked for.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Aetna in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired through an agency. The recruiter set the time for my interview with the hiring manager. Following my interview, the agency contacted me with a job offer.

Interview Question – What have you heard about working at Aetna that would give you concern about accepting a job if offered to you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since I was hired my a recruiter, they offered me a wage and it was within the industry standard range so I accepted it without any further negotiation.

Claim Processor/Phoenix AZ Interview

Claim Processor/Phoenix AZ
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Aetna in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for this position originally in June 2012; phone interview; scheduled for in-person interview; interview cancelled without explanation day before I was supposed to have in-person interview; 3 months later I got another call inviting me to another interview for the same position; this time I actually got through the interview. Only to wait over 6 weeks to get a "the training class for this position has either been cancelled or filled" e-mail. Real class. I was a strong candidate for this position, having done claims processing with another health insurance company for 3 years, and having gotten consistently "above average" reviews (with bonuses and payraises to match). I would recommend Aetna learn to show its interviewees a LOT more respect.

Interview Question – nothing really came out of left field; their questions could easily be anticipated by any interviewee.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Aetna in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick interview with the staffing contact, and scheduled for face-to-face 1:1 with the hiriing manager.

Interview Question – Behavioral style interview - asked standard question on dealing with "difficult people"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Original offer was about 10K less than expected. They did negotiate to a 5K difference. The health benefits seemed less than other companies I had interviewed with, which was a surprise. I would have expected a health company to have better benefits at a more competitve cost. I have better benefits through private insurance, and cost is only $50 more/month. The other item was that I had several friends that are former employees of Aetna in Phoenix. They all talked about a harsh combative culture, where your teammates do not help or share information that is necessary for you to perform your job functions...best dexcribed to me as information hoarding.

RFP Analyst Interview

RFP Analyst
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Aetna in July 2011.

Interview Details – Aetna/Schaller Anderson. Describe the interview process? In one word, LENGTHY. The process included a screening phone interveiw with HR asking personallity and skills based questions, then a writing skills assessment where I was asked to complete an RFP in 3 days. I was on vacation at the time, but did it anyway because I wanted the job and that is the type of personallity I have to get the job done no matter what. Then a 1:1 onsite interview with the department head who was very personable & likable (both important to me), then a phone interview with a potential peer who was very friendly and enthusiastic about the her job which was encouraging. They both made me comfortable and excited about the job and working with them.

Interview Questions

• The questions were the standard personallity profile type questions for the screening interview and basic health insurance/project management questions. You'd better know your stuff or it will show during the interview. If you are good at what you do and have experience, then there is no reason to sweat.   View Answer
  • Completing an RFP with no specific direction on what type of RFP they wanted. I just made an educated guess at what they'd need as a business unit which was new business RFP and just went for it. The department head told me that everyone else did a purchasing RFP and mine was the only one related to their specific department (plan implementation).   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Despite the fact that the job is perfect for my skill set and career goals, the pay and benefits were not attractive enough to lure me into a 40 mile drive one way to work. During the interview I was told that during open enrollment twice a year and whenever they have a "big product role out" (which they had 5 aldready and it was July) I would be required to work 12 hour work days and some Saturdays with this exempt position (no overtime pay). The pay was average and health insurance premiums were down right scary. I've been in health insurance for over 20 years and insurance employers generally have good health insurance for their employees, but Aetna is the exception in my opinion. Their deductible is $1800 for PPO option/$1600 HMO option per family member BEFORE they start allowing coverage afterwards PPO 80/20 HMO 90/10. I've never reached that much in healthcare costs so the benefits are of no use to me unless I have a catistrophic illness. Hello Major Medical which pretty much went off the market 20 years ago! Premiums were excessive with $185 per pay period for family ( $4,800 per year for 26 pay periods). Since the purpose of my job was to get good health care coverage...my husband is the real bread winner, I declined the offer and took a job 15 min away from home for $20K less per year. I now work 9-5 M-F have great benefits with a $15 office visit copay/$500 cyd for major illnesses and $130 premium per pay period. By my calculations, I've already made that $20K back in overtime I'd have worked and out of pocket costs for travel and healthcare premiums/cost shares! If my husband had good insurance might have taken a harder look at working for Aetna/Schaller Anderson, who knows.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!