Aetna

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Underwriting Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Aetna.

Interview Details – Process began with a short phone interview involving basic questions about my background, education, and work experience. Second interview was in person. They ask what you know about the industry overall and healthcare reform. They ask why you are interested in the position and what you know about the company as a whole. They are looking for you to be analytically-minded and know about Aetna's culture and values as a healthcare company not just an "insurance" company. If you have experience and knowledge in math/finance this is likely an advantage for this particular position.

Interview Question – A few basic math questions on the spot in the interview. Not difficult but was unexpected for me   Answer Question

Interviewed at Aetna

Interview Details – Interview with two different groups of management.

Interview Question – None; straightforward.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Aetna

Interview Details – Aetna Interview Review
Was contacted by a non HR rep to schedule an interview. Met with her, 2 hiring managers as they were hiring for two positions. Standard questions, situational ones as well as a couple math problems. Very simple, but can freeze someone if nervous. They were very nice and informative. After the interview the host walked me out and that's when I found out there would be a second round.

The host contacted me a couple days afterward to schedule a second interview the following week.

Just went in and met with higher ups that posed similar questions that focused on achievements, goals, detail oriented, team vs independent thinker, etc. Overall a "good" second round. Personalities of the second round panels were a bit more conservative but not particularly strict.

Interview Question – What did you like least about your last position?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middletown, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Aetna in June 2007.

Interview Details – Had a group interview with 3 managers. Also had a basic math "test". After the interview was required to take a drug test.

Interview Question – What do you know about Medicare?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary a little bit. Definitely push back when contacted by a hiring consultant, I was able to squeeze a few thousand more than they had originally offered.

Middletown, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Aetna in February 2008.

Interview Details – I was referred to Aetna by a friend. I was initially contacted by one of the executive assistants and scheduled the interview with her. On the first day of interviews I had 2 panel interviews, each one with 2 Underwriting Managers/Unit Leads. They asked a lot of situational questions like "Tell us about a time you made a mistake. What did you do and how did you handle it". They also asked a few math questions consisting of percentage calculations. These shouldn't be very hard if you have an acumen for math. Some of the managers were very easy to converse with while others held their statuesque poker faces but don't let those guys psych you out. About a month or so later I got a call from the same executive assistant to schedule another interview date. It was all the same process but just with different managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate

Interviews for Top Jobs at Aetna

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aetna Underwriting Analyst interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Aetna employees and interview candidates.