Affiliated Computer Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Tempe, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Affiliated Computer Services in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication with HR was non-informative. They did not know details about the position or group I would be interview with. When I arrived to my appointment, the security and receptionist were not helpful in contacting the needed parties once I signed in. I had to use my cell to call the HR rep while I sat in the lobby across from her office. HR proceeded to tell me details about her personal life before turning me over to management. 2 managers interviewed me - one looked rather indifferent, the other looked too intense. The indifferent one did not ask any questions and stared out the window, while the intense one asked questions that were unrelated to the job or my experience, for the most part. It was evident that the interview was the first time either had the bothered to look at my resume in detail. There were some accounting questions; when I asked for clarification because they were worded so oddly, the second interviewing manager agreed that they weren't ure what was being asked. I was called back for a second interview with 2 different managers. Neither of these managers gave the impression of intelligence or accounting knowledge - it seemed like they made friends in the right places to get promotions. They also stressed how miserable my potential co-workers were to interact with, low morale throughout the division and "challenging" the client would be. HR called me back to offer the position within a day and ask when I could start, but had no information on offered salary, department (I had interviewed with 4 managers looking for accountants in 4 areas) or benefits. I refused to commit until HR provided me with the basics. It took HR another 3 days to clarify the basic information one would expect when being offered a job.

Interview Questions

• If you have funds that are no good, what do you do?   View Answer
  • Have you ever worked with people who absolutely hate each other and have been reprimanded repeatedly for having confrontations?   View Answer
  • I didn't realize you had worked in accounting before. Did you know it was hard to tell from your resume? Did you go to school for it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The initial offer was in the 20th percentile for pay in the area per payscale.com and other reputable sources. HR told me what other accountants had been offered and told me the company approval ceiling. I cut the difference as asked to be brought to 50th percentile for the metro region. I knew this would not be a place I would stay for a career, only until the market improved. I had also used glassdoor as a reference to see that salary increases had not been offered in years. Essentially, I ensured that financially I'd be good for 2-3 years without a pay increase before accepting the position.

I would recommend that you do your research on what an appropriate payscale for a position is before interviewing. Gather hard copy of your evidence from reputable sources, and if necessary, provide it HR when making a counteroffer. It doesn't hurt to ask, but when you know they're purposefully and painfully trying to get you on the cheap, they cannot deny good research and are likely to meet your request, if reasonable.

Worked for Affiliated Computer Services? Contribute to the Community!