Affymax Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Affymax

Director, IT Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Affymax in November 2012.

Initially the process was well organized with a structured schedule for the interview and the folks I spoke on the phone were articulate, interesting and reasonable.

On the interview day, met the Exec Director, followed by the Finance directors, Project Management and the current Manager of IT. Here's the deal - the place is in a need for a major overhaul. They've recently implemented a software package that has more issues than you can count on all your fingers and toes, many times over. The job wasn't' looking too appetizing at that point, but I kept my interest alive through the process.

What I found most unprofessional was that I never heard from the company after the interview. No calls, no emails indicating what they had decided etc.. So watch out for this.

Interview Questions
    • The IT manager I interviewed me, asked why I wanted this job and that perhaps I should look for a VP job at another company..huh !   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Affymax.

All day interview with 8 scientists and 4 technicians. Thorough assessment of all technical skills and academic experience. Very attentive audience at presentation with insightful questions. Beautiful facilities and support services. Supervisor stressed intellectual-minded faculty and opportunity to conduct self-directed research.

Interview Questions
    • How have you demonstrated ability to solve difficult problems in the lab and with other scientists?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Affymax in December 2008.

Interviews consisted of a half day of meetings with selected functional representatives. The interviews were back to back from 8 am through 1 pm, with lunch provided during the 2nd to last interview.

Very friendly, warm first impression - the team was courteous and respectful. Most folks I met had an easy going, laid back manner. I spent quite a bit of prep time before the interviews, and I felt that I was well prepared to discuss the opportunity. However, they had only allotted approx. 20 minutes per interview, so I never felt like I had a chance to fully answer questions.

Overall, I came away with the impression that the interviews went well, the HR representative even at one point jokingly asking me if I could start that day! However, unfortunately that day of interviews was the last contact I ever had with them. I received no further responses from the company whatsoever. No emails, no phone calls, no explanation of where they were in the process. I tried to contact them a few times over the following weeks for an update on where things stood and received no response whatsoever. Eventually I had to assume I did not get the position but I thought it was rude to not respond. If you are interviewing at this company, I would strongly recommend clarifying what the exact next steps are and the timeframe they have in mind before you leave the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to supervise an employee, would you want to sit close to them in order to more easily see what they were doing, or would prefer to have them sit far from you so that they have more autonomy?   View Answer