Aflac

Updated Sep 12, 2014

1.7

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Aflac in February 2012.

Went in last Monday for the initial interview. Didn't get a whole lot of information on what would be expected of me as an associate. Basically just inquired about my history, a 45 minute 'meet and greet'.

This morning I had my second interview.
There was no hiding the fact or being shady that this can be a difficult job. Producing leads, cold calling and getting past secretaries is not easy. I've read here that during interviews numbers are typically inflated and, according to the numbers posted here by first year associates, the interviewer drastically inflated them.

Overall it doesn't seem to be a bad opportunity to me. I understand it will be tough to bring in new business.
The chance for me to build my own future, work my own hours, and be compensated for the effort I put forth is promising. Hoping for an offer...

Other Interview Reviews for Aflac

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Aflac in August 2013.

You go through three interviews. Each one gets progressively more serious and works your way up to the boss of the office. Mine was all very friendly and professional. They are good people who have been in the game and know what its like.

Interview Questions
    • Are you who you say you are on the resume?   View Answer
    It's commission only so you had better have some money saved or a second source of income to cover when you don't make sales.

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Aflac in October 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume posted online. I then had an interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What type of business would be best for your niche market?   View Answer

I went to work for one day and I was depressed by the financial problems of the people in my sales group.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Aflac in November 2010.

Meet 1 on 1 with a DSC (District Sales Coordinator), then meet the RSC (Regional)

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aflac in February 2013.

If you can put on a suit and don't have any missing teeth you passed for the first two qualifications for working at Aflac.

Interview Questions
    • They aren't asking any questions they're just trying to talk you into coming on board   Answer Question

100% comission . 5% of all agents make it after 1 year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aflac.

I went to a job fair, when I First saw the aflac table I did not know what they did other than some kind of insurance. The lady was nice and there was a big white duck on the table, she didn't go into detail or give me any information on what i was signing up for so i gave her my resume and politely moved on and forgot about her and her big white duck. roughly a week later I get a call about for an interview, but realized shortly it was not the only applicant attending. Bobby spoke on the accident insurance and asked what we thought, and if it could be helpful or needed by people. I agreed wholeheartedly that it could indeed help a lot of people. He told us to think about it and pray to god if this is the route to go. I prayed and gave it to god. Roughly a week or so later i got another call for a second interview, this one on one interview went quickly asked a few questions then offered the position. I accepted

Interview Questions
    Ask about hours pay rate and benefits I forgot to ask and found out the hard way.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Aflac in November 2009.

Sites like CareerBuilder are used a lot in the interview process. They pretty much find people on there and call them up to see if they would be interested in coming in to see a presentation by the RSC (Regional Sales Coordinator). It's not an interview at first, it's a group setting where you learn about the position. If you are pleased by what you hear then you can sign up for a 1 on 1 interview with the RSC.

100% commission

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aflac in March 2010.

I received an unsolicited call from the local AFLAC office since they saw my resume on CareerBuilder.com. After a brief conversation, I arranged to visit the office for an in-person interview. The interview itself was primarily the District and Regional Sales Coordinators explaining the advantages of AFLAC and very little questioning regarding my background. Since all AFLAC agents are independent contractors on 100% commission, the company tries to recruit as many new agents as possible, since the drop-out rate is very high. Since I have multiple sources of income, I was interested in AFLAC as a potential add-on to my current line-up of activities. After two or three more meetings, I sat for the insurance licensing exam and signed a contract. I am currently an AFLAC Associate, although I do not devote much time to it. If a good opportunity to sell their products comes up, I will pursue it, but I don't do the exhaustive prospecting and cold-calling practiced by other agents.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected.

What is your sales experience?
        View Answer
    There is nothing really to negotiate other than the type of contract you want (there are several ways to go). The people I met with were accommodating to my needs. AFLAC is a legitimate company with many excellent insurance products. Working for AFLAC is not for everyone, however. If you need cash right now, it is not the job for you. Being a successful agent takes lots of time and hard work. It is true that some agents earn $250K+, but these people are VERY rare. Most new agents (Associates) drop out in six months or less. Those who persevere can expect to make about $20 to $25K the first full year on average, working long hours with lots of local travel. If you are not hard-working, persistent and self-disciplined, forget it. You don't have what it takes. For the truly committed who will do whatever it takes, AFLAC is an excellent opportunity to make some serious money without having an advanced educational background or very special skills. The job is professional sales - pure and simple.

BEWARE: All AFLAC offices are not alike. Each office is run by an independent contractor representing AFLAC. Some of the managers (Coordinators) are decent people. Others are opportunistic sleazeballs. The Regional Office I visited was run by a stand-up guy, a veteran AFLAC Associate who had worked his way up. All of my questions were answered completely and honestly. No scams (such as requiring the Associate to rent office space) were in evidence. Other people in other regions have had a negative experience, being exploited by the management (who earns overrides on all Associate commissions as well as bonuses for recruiting new Associates), and generally treated badly. To my knowledge, AFLAC HQ is strictly "hands-off" their independent salespeople, other than making sure that they are properly licensed and obey the state insurance laws.

AFLAC is a good company, but if you have any special education or skill, you will earn money sooner by putting it to work. If you are a born salesperson, AFLAC may be for you.

Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Aflac in October 2011.

I responded to a Careerbuilder ad and was called the next day by a manager. I agreed to come in for an interview 2 days later, told to dress professionally. Interviewer was 24 years old and said he had been a with Aflac for 4 years, starting at age 19. He was a good interviewer and did a good thorough job. I realized that this was a sales interview when he attempted to "close" me on the $285 initial investment, saying it could be paid in 2 installments. I indicated that I was willing to try it (at least I could get a license), and he took me out to the receptionist, telling her that I would be calling her as soon as "he gets his money together".
    I was pumped initially, but have second thoughts now that I've read some posts on this site.

Interview Questions
    • How important is it for a brand new agent to know how to close a sale?   View Answer
    • What does Aflac offer to it's customers?   View Answer