Aflac

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Average Difficulty
96 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Aflac in June 2013.

Interview Details – First had a open house which was called the "first interview". Was then contacted for a second interview and was asked possibly three questions. It really did not feel like an interview but more so them selling the job to me. I did not feel it was a promising career due to the fact leads were not provided and pay is all based on commission.

Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – 2 face to face interviews

Reason for Declining – No guaranteed salary.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – The first "interview" was just an information session explaining what a sales associate would do and that it is basically starting your own business and selling supplemental insurance policies to inside clients. Then I was asked to come back for a second interview. I called and emailed to ask about scheduling it and never received a response...

Interview Question – Just an information session   Answer Question

Rockville, MD

I applied online and interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – Went in for a a group information session. I didn't even do an interview. It's not worthy unless you have another job that can pay bills. All I did was cold calls, you don't get paid.

Interview Question – There was none.   Answer Question

Fairfield, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted through Dice. Initial screening and one session about the company, then in person interview. I am totally from IT back ground, they don't have any IT jobs in Aflac.
All job requirements are related to sale.

Interview Question – Standard Questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I am totally IT, position they offered is non IT.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Aflac in August 2012.

Interview Details – Very friendly and outgoing. 1st your are in a group interview where the selling of Hope begins. Your next and final is the one on one interview & a guaranteed offer of a sales position(associate). You will be told that you should make 50-75K in your 1st year. This is 100% untrue. Most people in the office scrape by on 20-25K. Anyone who made/makes that amount is the rare exception and not the rule. Also, you are not told that you have to pay monthly for office space. You are not once let in on how you pay to work for them.

Interview Question – Ask how much it will cost YOU right away. They'll tell you that you just pay for licensing etc. Again, you have to pay to work in their office.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiate phase, they hire everyone and flood the market.

Greenbelt, MD

I interviewed at Aflac in February 2013.

Interview Details – I thought it would be a formal interview, but it didn't. When I came to the office, there was just another guy waiting for interview. Then the HR manger took a lecture about Aflac. He believed that U.S will like Japan be a major market for supplementary insurance in the near future. The compensation is totally based on sales result.

Interview Question – Maybe what do you think how much does an accident insurance cost for two weeks?   Answer Question

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a gentleman, that is a regular guest at my current place of employment, about an opportunity that was " so good it brought me out of retirement." I was hesitant at first but decided to set up an interview and find out what exactly they were looking for. The interview consisted of the group manager telling me his story of success with the company and that i could do it too. Upon some asking about leads was able to discover that I had to generate all of my own leads with little training. I was asked to set up a second appointment and never followed up, I decided it wasn't what i was looking for at the time.

Interview Question – Why aflac?   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Aflac.

Interview Details – When they called to set up an interview, I thought it was going to be a typical 1 on 1 interview. However, when I got there, I was in a room of about 25 other potential employees. It wasn't even an interview. Someone just stood up and gave a presentation on why AFLAC is great to work for. They did not ask anyone any questions. However one thing to be aware of so you don't waste your time like I did is, they consider all their Sales Reps to be "Independent Contractors" which means they do not reimburse for mileage, and gas like most companies do. Calling their sales reps "Independent Contractors" is their legal loophole around this. Also because of of this, they only pay straight commission. I don't know too many people can afford to be "road warriors" and not get paid anything until a commission check finally clears. So basically the interview not a real interview. They seem to hire anyone and everyone who can afford to work for for fer (commission only and who can afford to pay $4+ a gallon for gas in just hopes of making a sale to get their commission)

Interview Question – They didn't ask any question at all. Basically, if you could affordto put a ton of miles on your car, pay $4+/gallon for gas out of your own pocket, and are OK with not being reimbursed for mileage then they hired you.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – When I was offered the interview specifically asked if the position was base + commission or straight commission and I was told that it base + commission only to.find out it is straight commission without reimbursement for mileage and gas. I felt with $4+ gas, even of I hit my sales goals, I would have been lucky to brake even. And just like everyone else, I work to make money, I do not work for free

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Aflac in December 2011.

Interview Details – The mass recruitment process through employment sites like careerbuilder feed many into the system but the success rate among the hired is less than 1%. That being said, the interview process was thorough and the contracting process was well organized and efficient. The intent is to allow new associates to exploit existing social contacts to get started then learn good business approach and cold calling practices to maintain a low but steady income. Mass recruitment feeds a percentage of sales to middle management encouraging them to keep the hiring going despite a high failure rate among employees and an investment of time and licensing fees.

Interview Question – Explain how an independent work opportunity lead to a past business success.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard contract with no negotiation available. All commissions are standardized but they do offer an up front commission inducement for new agents just getting started.