Agilent Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Englewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Agilent Technologies in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received two phone interviews and an onsite interview. First interview was a resume walkthrough and the second was a technical interview. Both went well, and I thought I established a good rapport with both interviewers. The onsite consisted of three panel interviews, one of them technical, and a one-on-one. I felt that I did well in all, and particularly nailed the first two. The only portion I was worried about was the technical, which didn't go as well I though. I sent my thank you's as soon as I got home.

The next day I received a call turning me down. The lead interviewer said that although I was the best candidate they had interviewed so far technically, the most prepared, and the only candidate to follow up, I lacked a certain "sparkle", which he went on to say was unquantifiable, and they were unsure of my CS skills, which they tried to relate a pizza delivery job from high school in my interview. He went on to say that I seemed nervous, despite already having said I was the most prepared, and gave better answers than the others.

This isn't the first bad interview experience I had, and honestly I didn't think my previous worst could be beat, but I found the whole reasoning they tried to give incredibly insulting. I've never been told every reason I should have been hired, then told that although they can't come up with a quantifiable reason to not hire me, they aren't going to anyway. After they played up their company culture, this seemed extremely hypocritical and contrary to it.

Interview Question – You have an angry customer on the line. They are being unreasonable. How do you proceed?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Englewood, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Agilent Technologies in August 2010.

Interview Details – Met with one recruiter on campus. short interview (about 35 mins). some behavioral questions such as teamwork skills, management skills. He asked basic questions as well such as, if I'm willing to move, if I can work overtime, etc. Some technical questions, about four. The interview was a bit more difficult than others due to the fact that there were some technical questions.

Interview Questions

Data Analyst Interview

Denver, CO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Agilent Technologies in May 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the hiring manager and a potential peer analyst. It was informal, very conversational and with a few specific behavioral questions. I felt I had good responses based on their reactions and thought it was a pretty good fit. It was a challenging interview but not difficult because I was prepared.

It seemed to me that I may have had too much energy for the people I interviewed with... maybe they were looking for someone quieter and meeker that wouldn't mind being in a cubicle all day without interacting with other people. Perhaps an outgoing personality is not helpful in this position. I asked the recruiter for some feedback but never heard anything one way or the other.

Interview Question – describe how to do various functions in Excel.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Agilent Technologies interview questions and advice in Denver, CO. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Agilent Technologies employees and interview candidates.