Air New Zealand Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.2

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview was with a recruiter for Air New Zealand from the hub in Auckland, a little tricky to catch with time zones. After that there was an interview in Los Angeles with the Air New Zealand team. It was great to see other people so passionate about a brand that is dear to me. Very knowledgeable and passionate about their product. Very nice and very talented individuals.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland (New Zealand)).

Interview

Very dragged out with bad communication towards the end. Simple interview invite after applying online - group activities, small one/one interview. Not long after was invited to an assessment day which was introduction in a board room of the cabin crew managers recruiters then filling out tons of forms - background check, AVSEC forms etc. Then 10-15 one on one interview full of questions about work experience, behavioural questions, the usual THEN a little role play with two recruiters (mine were really cool, made me feel super comfortable). I had to react to a drunk pax who wouldn't sit down (before take-off) and then I had to make up a PA about how the plane was delayed due to technical difficulties, it's intimidating if you don't know the role or have had no experience but it's all good. After that they said to all of us we will hear back within a few weeks etc. After this they do reference checks and then they get you to do a simple swimming assessment and first-aid, and a drug test. So I did that after 2 weeks from the AD and was told to wait for the outcome within 4 weeks. FIVE weeks later I got a call from the recruiter asking why I hadn't done the reach, lift test + eye and hearing examination which on their end was a miscommunication, so I did it the same day. another 4 weeks and I got the call! Just thought I'd add that everything bar the first aid course is paid for so thumbs up for that.

Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

Interview

I applied for the flight attendant position. Several weeks later (3?) i got a call requesting my attendance at a AirNZ Recruitment Event for Cabin Crew. They gave me (and most of the other applicants in attendance) two days notice!! I guess they wanted dedication and a "drop everything" attitude. Recruiting event: Almost everyone there wore pencil skirts, panty hose and 2.5" black pumps, a white blouse, black blazer, red lipstick and their hair in a bun. I wore business casual, probably with more emphasis on casual, and stood out. We are first ushered into a casual presentation about the company and role. They ask the usual, "what do you know about AirNZ" and, "Does anyone have any questions?" Suggestions: remember the information volunteered by applicants during this, some people had done enormous amounts of research and I used quite a bit of it in my short one-on-one interview. Next, we all head to a holding room to wait. Interview #1: length 5 min; atmosphere- formal. Questions like "what do you know about AirNZ," and "what qualities will you bring to this company?" They just want to get a feel for you and know you are well spoken, intelligent, and interested. They also asked one behavioural/situation question about a conflict with a co-worker and how you handled it (can't remember exactly). Finally they asked "What makes a good team player?" My answer was "communication and respect." If you pass this pre-interview, they ask you to head to the lobby and wait for a group interview. If you don't, they say thanks and send you home. NOTE: 2/3 or more of the people there were experienced flight attendants or earning a degree in Aviation hospitality. More than 1/2 of the applicants were cut after the first interview, and several of the people in my group interview had no travel or aviation experience. Group Interview: In groups of six, we hang out for over an hour waiting for our interview. The interview is a situational assessment of how well you work in a team. I am pretty sure they are monitoring us during the wait time to see how we get along (which we do famously). Our situation: 3 hour flight, two seats vacant with 4 uncomfortable passengers. Passenger 1: gold class businessman whose unhappy, Passenger 2: old lady with hip injury who needs to walk the isle, Passenger 3: mom and daughter next to rowdy and rude sports team, and passenger 4: a big guy who doesn't fit in the middle seat and is making his two neighbours hot and uncomfortable. Who do you move to the empty seat and the front of the cabin and who do you move to the empty isle seats. THERE ARE NO RIGHT ANSWERS. Don't be pushy and overwhelming, don't get pushed into the background of the conversation. The group has 5 minutes. I listened until everyone had a say, then I asked if we restricted by regulations to put an injured lady or a baby in an isle seat (willing and able to assist in the case of an emergency). Then when we were down to a minute left, I took control based on what everyone had said and started eliminating people we weren't moving. I let someone else finish the last decision or two. The recruiters asked a few questions at the end of the exercise to those who didn't say much. They told us they would contact us within 1-2 weeks. Following up on the interview, I sent a email to HR commenting on several AirNZ staff who were particularly helpful, pleasant, reassuring, or memorable. I said thank you for considering me and I am still very interested. 10 Days later: they told me I had made it through to a second round interview 2 Weeks later: a one hour long, individual behavioural interview. This was all about "tell us about a time when.... and how did you react... what was the outcome?" questions. Be prepared for q's about conflict, teamwork, going above and beyond, and challenges in your workplace. Can't really think of any questions in particular, but overall the vibe was friendly (I laughed A LOT!) and casual. They didn't ask why you were leaving your current position or where you wanted to be in five years. Nor did they ask things like "if you were a piece of office equipment, what would you be." They just wanted to know how you would work with others. There were questions I got stuck on and needed some time to ponder and there was one or two where I needed to adjust the question so I could come up with a relevant situation. Remember when answering to say Situation, Action, and Results. At the end or the interview they asked if I had a preference on domestic, short haul, or mid-haul flights (wasn't offered at all interviews), if I had any vacations planned and what my period of notice was. I told them about an upcoming holiday, but stressed the job was more important than the trip. Tell them about your trips! 5-7 Days later. I received a phone call from HR telling me they would like to consider me for mid-haul (Fiji, Aussie, Japan, Hawaii) and to start the vetting process!

Interview Questions

• All were basic interview questions (behavioural/situation) it was having enough variety, a way to make it turn out positive and make you look good in every case that's difficult.   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Interview

Quite easy, make you work 30 days without pay.

Customer Service Agent/Business Support Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (London, England (UK)).

Interview

phone interview, interview with teamleader +1, 2nd interview with manager + HR

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand in September 2010.

Interview

interview process consisted of an initial phone contact and then a 2 person inteview panel with a presentation from me on new sales ideas. Interviewers were the Marketing manager and Sales Director. The presentation was not required, however found that they were very receptive and interested in new ideas and open to applicants from other industries. Interviewers were friendly as well as professional . Then environment was quite unstructured.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years with the company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

negotiate for your highest possible salary, salary increases are low once within the company unless you are advancing to a higher position.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Air New Zealand in August 2010.

Interview

Firstly you had to apply online send in your CV and cover letter. If successfully you got a 5 min interview to anwser 5 standard questions. Last round was 4 hr process with a paired then group activity followed by one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have had to deal with conflict at work, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    • His there every been a time when you feel that your hard work has been unrecognized by your boss, how did that make you feel.   Answer Question