Airbnb

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Airbnb.

Starts off with a phone interview for screening and explanation of what to expect. Next and final step is onsite with 4 or 5 face to face meetings. Each interview was one on one. Met with RC, 2 Sourcers, Recruiter and Manager. No one smiles much. Not sure if they're not happy or just wanted to get through the interview and back to recruiting. I was rejected. They were nice enough to call me instead of email form letter.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions for a recruiter. Not focused on metrics/past performance,achievements, more on how you solve problems. Totally fine to interview this way but doesn't give any credit for prior experiences.   Answer Question

Airbnb Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb.

Was contacted by the hiring manager to schedule a phone call on that day. I let the manager know I was free at the specified time yet the person didn't call. Later, I get an email from the manager apologizing that their meeting had run over and asking if I could talk later in the day. I let the manager know I was free all day and yet the person never called me nor replied to my email. I gave it one more try by sending a follow-up email with my availability on various days yet never got a response. Really disappointed about the lack of respect and professionalism. Airbnb should be aware that their employees are a reflection of who they are and this is a bad reflection.

Data Scientist Interview

Was sent a data set to analyze. Sent the results back to be crunched by them.
    Then had an on-site interview and had to interact with the team there as well.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

After talking to HR for a cultural fit, a later week I have been assigned a 3-hour at-home data challenge. The data challenge consisted in analyzing CVS files and check the significance of a test already performed in that data. The challenge itself was not super difficult, but I thought it was impossible to be completed in 3 hours.
    Needless to say, I didn't make it to the second part of the interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Airbnb in August 2014.

I applied through a recruiter, who promptly scheduled a phone screening - the general talk about personal things.

They then quickly scheduled another phone screening, this time with an engineer to test my coding ability (it took about a week between the initial screening and the technical interview). They asked me to code a csv parser in the 45 minutes of allotted time and get it to compile and run correctly. For this reason I chose python (java takes too long to get the peripheral framework ready to run). I would practice getting code to compile and run in about 35 minutes because it takes about 10 minutes to understand their question in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Parse an escaped string into csv format.   View Answer

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb.

Big group interview, where there are about 15 interviewees and 4 or so interviewers. They ask you to introduce yourself, tell a memorable experience with the company and a fun fact about yourself. Then you are broken into groups where you pretend to answer phones with "real" customer problems, and you have to provide the solution. Then your group is given a "survival" scenario, and you have to present that to the other group. Which is funny because both of our groups had the same solution to the same scenario.... Anyway then you're supposed to be taken for an individual interview and sat down to chat with someone, but the guy I talked to didn't take notes, he didn't ask me any questions that were on his clipboard, and we just walked around and seemed to chit chat. I didn't have a chance to tell them WHY I would be a good fit for the company- he never asked me specifically my background, or what I wanted from the position, or what I could offer the company. Just whether I could use a Mac. Come on. He seemed like he was in a huge rush to get our "talk" over so he could "talk" with the next interviewee, and in doing so was just more concerned with getting done than with actually recruiting talent. I feel like this process did not capture my individual talent and I wasn't able to communicate what I'd bring to the team by being evaluated as part of a big herd and not also as an individual. Flawed process.

Trust and Safety Interview

Completed the online application. About a month later was contacted for a phone interview. This led to several in person interviews and a skype interview. All were very short, between 15 and 30 minutes, I didn't feel like it was enough time to talk about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario - what do you do if guest is kicked out by a host and need to retrieve her belongings.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb in July 2014.

Initial ad, followed by HireArt videos. If they like your videos enough, they will schedule a phone interview, then an in-person. The recruiter is very hands-off, and doesn't touch your application until after the HireArt team reviews your video answers. The phone interview didn't really seem to get a grasp of what I could bring to the organization, and the questions were somewhat all over the place.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing for me was that they kept talking about how important culture was, but didn't even ask any questions about me, personally.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in July 2014.

I applied online and was quickly sent a link to complete a video interview. A few days later I was emailed that the position had been filled. Two months later I was contacted, via email, with a request for a phone interview that was scheduled for the following week. The phone interview was fairly thorough in asking a lot of experience questions, as well as letting me know about the company. Honestly, one of the better phone interviews I have experienced, based on the interviewer's intelligent questions and mix of professionalism and candor. The call ended with me feeling like I might really fit the position and company culture. I was contacted the next day to come in later that week for an in-person interview with 5 interviewers: two would-be peers, two would-be seniors, and HR. This is when things became obvious that none of them were actually interested in me. They seemed to be going through the motions because they had to, not because they cared which kind of threw me off, coming from my previous impressions of the company; they were stoic and clearly coming up with questions at random. Out of the five people who interviewed me, only one had actually seen my resume and none of them had any knowledge of my video or phone interviews. Two of them were somewhat friendly, two of them made it clear that I was wasting their time (one of whom was clearly shocked and possibly appalled that I didn't get there through a current employee referral), and one of them seemed incredibly nervous, somewhat negative about the job, and acted like she had never done an interview in her life. I knew after my first interview that there was no way I was getting the job. I was told when I arrived for the interview that the recruiter (Airbnb employee) would check in on me throughout the process and would meet with me at the end to go over more details of the job. However, I never saw here again and I was escorted out of the building by the last interviewer who just said the other person must be busy. I was there for about three hours. Three days later I received my "the hiring team doesn’t feel that you are a fit for this role" email.
    Other things to note - In between interviews I left the room to use the restroom. There were two co-ed restrooms and a long line. Everyone in line was super friendly and starting talking with me. They were open about the company and seemed genuinely interested in me. It was a nice change from the odd un-comfortableness of the interview process. When I went back to the interview room, two random people had taken seats that the table and were working. Eventually one of them started talking to me and was super nice and tried to give me some tips about the people interviewing me. Then my next interviewer came in and they left. It was somewhat comical.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time in the last 30 or 60 days that you helped someone you didn't know and that wasn't part of your job?   View Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in June 2014.

Inquired with a friend who currently works for Airbnb. She passed my resume along and several days later I received an email from recruiting. It had a link to an outside screening agency called HireArt. Mix of video and written questions. Takes longer than advertised. Overall I thought I did quite well given that I have previous customer support/service experience.

I then waited to hear back on what the next step would be. In the meantime I emailed the recruiter to keep them apprised of my continued interest and if I could provide any additional information. Really just a, "keep in contact," quick note. I waited another couple of weeks with no word, but had been told, and read other reviews, that it could take awhile. Sent another quick note reiterating my interest. Finally received a, "After carefully reviewing your application, we find you profile isn't a match..." So, not even past the screening and invited to a meetup. Kind of disappointing to not even get that far. Received a $75 coupon as a parting gift.

Interview Questions
    • Name something you did for someone that you didn't have to do.   Answer Question