Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview. First ask me to introduce my working and project experience. I talked about my university majors, the projects that I worked with, the achievements during the work days.Then I have about 40 minutes to write code, to solve a problem. The question is as follow. Return the coins combination with the minimum number of coins.Time complexity O(MN), where M is the target value and N is the number of distinct coins. Space complexity O(M).

Interview Questions

• Return the coins combination with the minimum number of coins.Time complexity O(MN), where M is the target value and N is the number of distinct coins. Space complexity O(M).   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a link to fill submit some video interviews and short answers a little over 2 weeks later. I was given a week to complete it, so I spent a lot of time writing, prepping, and recording the answers. Questions were standard behavioral interview questions with a few that required some thinking outside the box. After submitting the videos and short answers at the end of the week, I received a canned email the beginning of the following week stating that they decided not to move forward with the application. At no point did I have the opportunity to interact with or get in contact with an actual person, and I do feel that a phone interview along with written exercises would be much more helpful in getting a feel for an applicant instead of recorded video responses. I would love to work at Airbnb but definitely did not feel valued as an applicant.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself. What should we know that isn't on your resume?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a specific time at work where you had multiple, competing priorities and you had to figure out what to do. How did you proceed?   Answer Question
    • Imagining that you had unlimited resources, what would you do at a new university in order to 1. connect with the best CS students and 2. build brand awareness on behalf of Airbnb?   Answer Question

Interviewee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

2 phone calls and one onsite for 1/2 day. don't bother applying if you don't have a degree from an ivy league. although i didn't have one and made it to the onsite, i got bumped by others who have ivy league degrees. airbnb likes to keep it within the ivy league family. welcome the new "boys club" of the 21st century. no joke.

Content Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Short phone interview with recruiter, then another with hiring manager, then invited in for a four-hour interview with 7 people (all male) including two in totally different departments, and the hiring manager. Each meeting was 30 mins, until the last, which was one hour.

Everyone was very nice but it was odd to be interviewed by people I wouldn't work with; one even said, "I don't know what position you are interviewing for, and it doesn't matter." These were "cultural fit" interviews and the questions were a bit strange, such as "tell me about a time you bought someone a gift for no reason."

At the end I was told that there were many more people coming in for interviews. I would think that only top candidates would be asked to make time for a four-hour interview so as not to waste anyone's (candidates or employees) time.

Interview Questions

• What simple tool or product has made a huge difference in your life?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Self introduction shortly.
    Why are you applied in this position?
    What is your strength for this position?
    Airbnb people are crazy, what are you crazy in?
    What is the impressive tour for your life?

Interview Questions

• Role Playing
      She booked Airbnb house to stay with her family but miscommunicated with a host only one bed host can offer and any space room does not offer. She wanted to cancel but she do not want to move any place cuz of massive, a lot of luggage. How will you satisfy the customer?

Answer Question
    • Self introduction shortly.
      Why are you applied in this position?
      What is your strength for this position?
      Airbnb people are crazy, what are you crazy in?
      What is the impressive tour for your life?

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me through Linkedin. This one was particularly disappointing because the recruiter painted a picture of an engineering culture that was so opposite what turned out to be. I had the impression that they cared more about having 100 of the exact same top 20 CS program grad, in favor of some actual culture with engineers that had passion and personality. Instead, they turned out to be worse school snobs even than Google.

Interview Questions

• I had a phone screen question involving examination of subsets.   1 Answer

Head of Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online, and received an email from the recruiter within a couple of days. We set up an initial phone interview, and it lasted about 30 minutes. The recruiter was going to discuss my background with the hiring manager and following up with next steps. The recruiter did follow up within a week to say they decided to go with another candidate, but we agreed to stay in touch Overall it was a good, professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in Airbnb? Give an example of a project related to the role that I'm proud of. Pretty normal stuff.   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of coming in for several rounds with cross-functional colleagues that the position would support.

The team I met with and the recruiters were are very professional and considerate. It is abundantly clear to me that Airbnb is a great place to work. I would recommend them as an employer to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were designed to gauge my skill level and personal style.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Their whole process is really big on live speed coding, it doesn't matter how strong your experience is don't bother unless you've spent time practicing on topcoder.

I skipped the online speed coding portion and moved straight to interviews. Because they had to break my interviews up over several days, I got actual feedback part way through. Killed all my past experience interviews (half a million lines of code to choose from), but they weren't happy with the speed of the speed coding, apparently.

There's also an clear age bias, the projects (and their whole "youthful enthusiasm" culture stuff), and a head count around the office makes that pretty clear. Lots of Koolaid.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you've been a good host.   1 Answer

Head of Global Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter. I was invited in for in-person interviews and then asked to complete two writing assignments to demonstrate my communications skills -- given two scenarios, provide an overview of your approach and communications plan. Was invited in for another round of interviews with more members of the team. Invited for a third round, which included "core values interviews" with people outside the team to determine culture fit. Overall a positive experience, though almost too positive -- I received such good feedback all along that I was surprised when an offer wasn't extended.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?

Have you tried Airbnb? Tell me about the experience.

Would you be an Airbnb host?

What’s something you’re proud of?

What does it mean to be a host?

As a leader, how would you be a host to your team?

If you could have an hour on stage in front of the company to teach everyone something, what would you teach them?

Why are you interested in Airbnb?