Airbnb

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.9

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Airbnb.

The usual: friendly people, good tour, beautiful office, good food. The loop varied: one of the people doing a culture check seemed somewhere from wary to hostile; for another, the scheduled interviewer had a production outage, and the guy they dragged in as a replacement was extremely hostile and didn't want to be there. Everyone else was nice.

And the questions! My heavens, the questions. They're not screening for software or operations engineers, they're screening for people who can write code to solve solipsistically complex math problems under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • Pairing with someone to write a function to calculate the area covered by a Hilbert curve of degree n. I had to stop myself from walking out.   View Answer

Organizer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb.

Two people went over my resume and asked poorly thought out questions. Before the interview one of the interviewers asked me how long my commute would be and he indicated that my long commute would be a problem for going through their usual 5 rounds of interviews. I only had one 15 minute interview so I am unaware of how the other 4 interviews would have gone.

Interview Questions
    • Do you view this position as a step down from your previous positions   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb.

The experience I had was exactly like everyone else described. Received the Hire Art application right after submitting my cover letter and resume. Got invited to the hiring meet up about a week after they said they would review my application (they were on a holiday break when I applied). The meet up was fun and relaxed. It was apparent that they are looking mostly to see if you are upbeat, friendly, and albe to stay calm and positive in difficult situations. A ton of customer service experience is less important than having the kind of demeanor they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Pretending to be the Airbnb rep calling a customer who is violating a policy.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

I applied online by employee referral. The process took 2+ months.
    I was really excited, even if the feedback received from current employees and previous unsuccessful candidates made me a little bit doubtful about the unconventional Company Culture.

The first step was an online test called “Hireart” which consisted of four written questions and three videos, that I had to record. This took a few hours, though it says it should only take 40 min.
    After 2 months I received the invitation for the next step, this was an informal meeting, they called it " Hiring meetup" in which you meet other applicants. Location: Shelbourne Park,it is a greyhound racing stadium (they pretend to be cool). Even if the hiring meeting was indoor, we were literally freezing. It's was uncomfortable.
    There were about 25 or so other candidates and about 8 current Airbnb employees.
    After a short introduction of ourselves and our travelling experience (some of them swam with the sharks, climbed the Everest, explored the Amazonia.... seriously?) , then we were divided in four groups and had to start the role play process.
    Next step: language test: written test in your mother tongue, three questions, very easy.
    The last step was a 121 interview with team leaders and members of the team . In my case the interviewer was a CS Agent ( 8 months in the company... like a New starter) .15 minutes in which we had to talk again about ourselves, travelling experience, my biggest failure, so nothing at all about customer service or other professional skills. It was really funny…or ridiculous.
    The day after I received the standard feedback “Unfortunately, after carefully considering your background, qualifications, and our conversations, the hiring team doesn’t feel that you are a fit for this role. They all had great things to say about you, but feel there are other candidates who had more of the experience necessary for this particular position."

They don't call the work environment with usual words: they said " we are a Community" instead team or company (maybe they forget that Airbnb is a Miltinational Company, they make every day a lot of money and actually they don't work for a charity Company) , they talk about free snack and food instead "Benefits" , they were excited about their Happy-Hour after work.... Seriously, it was worrying. It's like a cult not a job.

Average age of candidates: 27y , most of them without work experience, but full of energy and zest. Perfect to work on.

Personally: In more than 5+ years experience in Customer Service industry, this is definitely the worse experience ever had, a disgraceful waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something extraordinary you did in the past month?
      What don't you like about airbnb?
      When was the last time you helped someone?

View Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Here is an overview of how the hiring process works – There are five steps:
    1) Submit a resume through the Airbnb job site
    2) Complete the next level of questions through their interviewing partner, HireArt - It requires a webcam and microphone, and takes about 45 minutes. The sooner you do your HireArt interview the better, as they will be reviewing these on a rolling basis.

3) If they like what they see from your full application, they will invite you to one of their group Hiring Meetups in San Francisco
    4) If you inspire them at the Meetup, they will schedule you for a follow up interview either over Skype or in person.
    5) If you impress them through Step 4 then they will want to extend an offer to have you join the Airbnb.
    The Meetup involved five parts:
    1) First there were welcome and introductions. Each person said their name and talked a couple minutes about their most memorial Airbnb experience. People who had never used Airbnb spoke about other people they knew who had used the service. There were about 28 people at the Meet-up, including about 8 Airbnb employees. The Meet-up was held at the Ian Ross Gallery in SOMA district.
    2) We then split up into three groups of about 6-8 people and did role-playing exercises. The employees gave you scenarios of real customer service phone calls. For example, someone calls Airbnb complaining that their Airbnb rental is infested with cockroaches and you’re supposed to respond to the caller. There is no right answer to the role-playing. You don’t have to quote Airbnb policy. They just want you to act the way a customer service representative should act: be confident, polite and understanding.
    3) We then did a problem solving exercise. Each group was given a box of plastic toy parts for building models, sort of like Legos. Then, one-by-one, each member of your group had to walk into a backroom and memorize an abstract model made out of these toy parts. You have 30 seconds to memorize what the model looks like, and then you have about one minute to communicate what the model looks like to your group so that you’re group can try to replicate the model. You are not allowed to touch the model when you are describing it to your group. This exercise is used to see how you interact with your team and how well you communicate information. All the groups did pretty well in this exercise.
    4) Employees talked more about the job and we had some Q&A time.
    5) Then we had one-one interviews with employees. We were supposed to have two one-on-one interviews, but we only had time to do one one-on-one interview.
    Everyone filled out an availability form for a Skype interview, which would be held the following week. However, only people who did well in the Meet-up were going to be contacted for Skype interviews.

Interview Questions
    • *Have you ever developed a meaningful or lasting friendship with someone who you meant briefly in an informal setting, like riding on the bus etc.
      *What has been your best and worst customer service experience?
      *If you could teach or give a TED talk, what subject would you talk about?
      *What was the biggest risk you’re ever taken?
      *What was the favorite place you’re ever traveled to?
      *What feature would you improve on the Airbnb website?

Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

I did not apply but was contacted by their recruiter to see if I was interested in the role. I decided to take the phone screen to learn more about the opportunity. The recruiter called 10 minutes late and immediately declared he had a hard stop in 20 minutes. There was a ton of background noise and I couldn't hear him too well. He then stated that he didn't have time to tell me about the role or the company. He had three questions for me all regarding my management and leadership experience (clearly outlined on the resume). End of call. No time for my questions. I received a call four days later informing me that due to the "overwhelming number of applicants they received" I didn't make the cut. They reached out to me - remember.

CX Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

As described before me, It starts with a resume, cover letter, and hireart video intvw. If you're lucky enough to be contacted after this, group interview. 3 hours, but employees are the coolest people. Be yourself above all. This company is all about culture fit, and if you don't fit, you'll both clearly know. Role playing is tough, not going to lie. If you're one of the few to make it throught the group intvw, you have a final skype with cross functional member to see if you're a culture fit. Mine was more formal than expected but be prepared for anything. Then, offer or not.

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Had 2 phone calls with a Recruiter who was great - asked relevant questions pertaining to my background and sold me on the opportunity. They quickly scheduled an onsite, and sent me tons of information to help me prepare for meeting more of the team. The process was efficient and they seem to want to set candidates up for success. Unfortunately, I dropped out due to another offer, but I was impressed with what I did experience.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

The hiring process has 4 steps. First is submit a cover letter and resume, second is a video interview and series of questions related to Airbnb policy, the third is a group interview, and the fourth is a Skype interview.

CX "Specialist" Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Pretty much the same as other posts. The HireArt portion took a little longer than 40 minutes to complete and if you make it through this part, there's a group interview. The most important part of the interview is the scenario section. The interviewers role play, switching from host to guest. You have to answer their call and use your knowledge of company policy to solve the issue. It's tough but stick with it! Overall, the interview was fun and mostly designed to see how you interact within a large group.

Interview Questions
    • The host's dog defecates in the guest's suitcase on a dress/suit. What do you say?   Answer Question