Airbnb Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Airbnb in January 2014.

After the initial housekeeping with recruiters you do 2 phone screens that last ~45 minutes. Coding questions are the average DS and algo, but wrapped in some use scenario context, which is helpful.
    Mine included: lower/uppercase permutations, simple json parsing, implementing a simple socket based client (could lookup docs online).
    You need to produce *running code (this is true for both phone and onsite), but that shouldn't make you nervous.

Arch/Design questions is what got me. You're expected to know database/relation design, indexing, different layers of caching and lookup optimization as if you do this all day every day.
    You can answer these Q's in either Sql or NoSql context.

Then there are 2 quirky culture/fit interviews. Know why you want to work there, be ready to share some experiences from traveling (and hopefully using AirBnB), and have something new to teach your interviewer in a few minutes. That part is actually fun.

All in all a nice experience and anyone you interact with are pleasant and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • What SQL columns you should index and how would you change the indexing in different lookup scenarios?   Answer Question
    • What can you teach me in a few minutes?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Airbnb in July 2014.

Initial ad, followed by HireArt videos. If they like your videos enough, they will schedule a phone interview, then an in-person. The recruiter is very hands-off, and doesn't touch your application until after the HireArt team reviews your video answers. The phone interview didn't really seem to get a grasp of what I could bring to the organization, and the questions were somewhat all over the place.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing for me was that they kept talking about how important culture was, but didn't even ask any questions about me, personally.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Airbnb in March 2014.

HR Screening followed by a take home test, Neither too hard nor easy. Take home test consists of analyzing a A/B test results.

Questions are a little weird, would be good to know how the questions would relate to the job responsibilities.

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Airbnb.

Big group interview, where there are about 15 interviewees and 4 or so interviewers. They ask you to introduce yourself, tell a memorable experience with the company and a fun fact about yourself. Then you are broken into groups where you pretend to answer phones with "real" customer problems, and you have to provide the solution. Then your group is given a "survival" scenario, and you have to present that to the other group. Which is funny because both of our groups had the same solution to the same scenario.... Anyway then you're supposed to be taken for an individual interview and sat down to chat with someone, but the guy I talked to didn't take notes, he didn't ask me any questions that were on his clipboard, and we just walked around and seemed to chit chat. I didn't have a chance to tell them WHY I would be a good fit for the company- he never asked me specifically my background, or what I wanted from the position, or what I could offer the company. Just whether I could use a Mac. Come on. He seemed like he was in a huge rush to get our "talk" over so he could "talk" with the next interviewee, and in doing so was just more concerned with getting done than with actually recruiting talent. I feel like this process did not capture my individual talent and I wasn't able to communicate what I'd bring to the team by being evaluated as part of a big herd and not also as an individual. Flawed process.

Trust and Safety Interview

Completed the online application. About a month later was contacted for a phone interview. This led to several in person interviews and a skype interview. All were very short, between 15 and 30 minutes, I didn't feel like it was enough time to talk about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario - what do you do if guest is kicked out by a host and need to retrieve her belongings.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Airbnb in June 2014.

Inquired with a friend who currently works for Airbnb. She passed my resume along and several days later I received an email from recruiting. It had a link to an outside screening agency called HireArt. Mix of video and written questions. Takes longer than advertised. Overall I thought I did quite well given that I have previous customer support/service experience.

I then waited to hear back on what the next step would be. In the meantime I emailed the recruiter to keep them apprised of my continued interest and if I could provide any additional information. Really just a, "keep in contact," quick note. I waited another couple of weeks with no word, but had been told, and read other reviews, that it could take awhile. Sent another quick note reiterating my interest. Finally received a, "After carefully reviewing your application, we find you profile isn't a match..." So, not even past the screening and invited to a meetup. Kind of disappointing to not even get that far. Received a $75 coupon as a parting gift.

Interview Questions
    • Name something you did for someone that you didn't have to do.   Answer Question

CX Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Airbnb in May 2014.

I first applied to Airbnb at the end of March 2014. The recruitment/interview process was very long but for a good reason. They really want to get to know you and make sure that you'll be a great fit for the company.

First there was a generic application submission where you upload your resume and cover letter. Within a few days, I was contacted to take part in the Hireart video interview where you record responses to customer service-related questions and about the website. Really dig in and make sure you know the website before you start this! After I submitted my hire art video, I waited over a month to hear back. I definitely thought that ship had sailed after it being a few weeks but I was invited to the group interview in mid-May. This was a group of about 20 candidates with about 10 current Airbnb employees present. It was very casual and included typical "tell me about yourself"/fun fact group sharing activities. Ultimately, they want to find someone who can get along with just about anyone and is a great people person. Smile and try to introduce yourself to as many people as possible (not just the airbnb recruiting staff!). I met some amazing candidates at the hiring meet up. Most importantly, I recommend listening and remembering the names of some key recruiters or current employees you connected with during the meet-up. When I was waiting to hear back for the Skype interviews and it had been awhile, it was nice to be able to reach out to someone to inquire what the timeline was for the rest of the hiring process.

Insider Tip: Dress casual and remember during the group/team exercises that being a leader doesn't mean that you need to be talking the most. Often times the most important leadership quality is the ability to listen to your teammates. Good luck!

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

First step was to submit a resume and cover letter. Took about a month to hear back. Next step was an online interview process through Hireart which included making a few videos and writing a few responses to questions. This took a few hours, though it says it should only take 40 min. You can re-record videos if you'd like. The next step was a group meet up where we introduced ourselves, role-played, and did team building exercises and there was a 1 on 1 interview. By the end of the week we were told whether we made it to the final step, a Skype interview, or not.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplaying: 1. A group of guests are locked out of a place they have booked and cannot contact the host. What do you say to them? 2. A person is staying in a place where a dog has defecated on their dress, what do you do? The host denies any wrong doing, what do you say? 3. A host has 4 people staying at their place but believes their guests may have more people than that and is worried their neighbors will know and isn't happy. What do you do?   View Answer

Culinary Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Airbnb in June 2014.

Initial contact was within 2 weeks of submitting resume. Phone interview followed by face to face interviews 1 week later. Met with various people who asked typical interview questions. Young interviewers dropped the F bomb during interviews and were very casual. Cool atmosphere. Met with each interviewer for approx 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions. What's the biggest risk you ever took? Tell me something about yourself I wouldn't know.   Answer Question
    • Typical questions. What's the biggest mistake you've ever made. When was the last time you made someone happy?   Answer Question

Food and Beverage Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Airbnb in June 2014.

First phone screen - good, easy
    Second phone appt - Recruiter was late to meeting, had to reschedule last minute
    Third step: Invited for on-site interview. Nice tour of space, kitchen, met some of the team members
    Fourth Step: Recruiter calls me at 9:30pm panicked that he dropped the ball and forgot to send me a writing exercise that is required ... with less than 48 hours to complete it. He was very apologetic and I rose to the occasion submitting it on time.

Interview Questions
    • Please address entire company in an email and let them know why we are discontinuing ordering Unicorn on the menu (most interesting question I've ever been asked in an interview - a fun challenge!   Answer Question

Worked for Airbnb? Contribute to the Community!