Airbnb Interview Questions & Reviews

96 interviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Airbnb in November 2013.

Applied online Nov 2013.

1. Few days later spoke with very knowledgeable recruiter.
    2. In 2 days scheduled the tech phone screen using coderpad - didn't have enough time to finish the problem.

Overall the questions are on the difficult side for phone screening. I wonder how many people can produce working code in 40min. I would recommend people try the two questions, and give yourself 40min for each. The code need to be complied and working. Please comment on this post and tell how long it too you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. find all the combinations of a string in lowercase and uppercase. For example, string "ab" -> "ab", "Ab", "aB", "AB". So, you will have 2^n (n = number of chars in the string) output strings. The goal is for you to test each of these string and see if it match a hidden string.

2. Implement a simple regex parser which, given a string and a pattern, returns a boolean indicating whether the input matches the pattern. By simple, we mean that the regex can only contain special character: * (star), . (dot), + (plus). The star means what you'd expect, that there will be zero or more of previous character in that place in the pattern. The dot means any character for that position. The plus means one or more of previous character in that place in the pattern.
        Answer Question

Customer Support Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Airbnb in February 2012.

I applied for this job sometime in Winter 2011. First, I received an email apology on February 2 for not replying to everyone's applications for this position and that we'd receive responses soon. Then I received a later email on February 16 saying Airbnb was not hiring for this position because the new focus was on finding customer support agents and if the Content Manager position opened up, we would be the first applicants to hear back. Now, over a month later (March 23), I receive an email that this position was filled.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Airbnb in February 2013.

The interview and hiring process are great. Well designed for the experience. Their Talent team is respectful of your time and is flexible with scheduling. The interviews are thorough and suited for the skill set they are looking for. I have to say, I had FUN at this interview day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation allowed for this role.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Airbnb in May 2014.

I applied online by first sending in my resume. A few days later was sent a link to HireArt to complete a 7 question interview that had video portions. It was easy enough but took me forever because I kept re-recording. Waited over a month and finally got an invite to the group interview aka hire meetup. There were about 25 or so other candidates and about 8-10 current Airbnb employees. The process took a few hours, was less scary than I'd worked myself for, and involved some role-playing, survival team-building scenarios, and short one-on-one interviews. The next day I was asked to do a Skype interview with someone in Dublin. Still waiting to hear back but I think it went very well and felt natural. Basically, Airbnb staff members are really chill, respectful, and easy to talk to. Research company culture and policies. A billion bonus points if you've used the site as a guest or host and like to travel.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't "difficult" per se, but they asked me if I could have any job in the world tomorrow what it would be. Unexpected and potentially tricky!   View Answers (2)
    **still waiting to hear back, but I know salary is set in stone and is competitive!**

Talent Acquisition Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Airbnb in September 2012.

The Airbnb interviews process was lengthy, repetitive and a number of the interviewers struggled to turn up on time.
    I had 9 interviews in total spread out over 3 days. The interview process ended with me meeting two of the founders. Both came across well but one turned up over an hour late. Of course they are busy but this was both disappointing and off putting. The final founder who I was due to meet was unable to meet with me so I was told I'd have to come back.
    After chasing up numerous times I was told after waiting over a week that one of the founders thought I wouldn't fit in culturally (this is even after I went out for beers with some of the engineers).
    Ultimately I was very keen to work for Airbnb but the process left me feeling I'd been messed about and treated poorly.
    Sadly from reading other reviews this seems to be a theme throughout. I suggest that the founders move on from interviewing the employees as it surely cannot be sustainable. Particularly when people are coming away with similarly disappointing candidate experiences.

Junior Account Executive Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Airbnb.

The interview process began with a video interview. There were about 5 questions that you record your response to, and you have the option to re-record your response one time if you don't like your first response. After this, there will be a phone interview with one of the Junior Account Executives that consists of a role play. In the role play, you either 1) speak with someone who has never heard of Airbnb to try and get them to become a host (cold call) or 2) speak with someone who is a host but is not active.

Next, there is an on-site interview. This was the hardest portion of the process as you meet with the hiring manager and different members of the team individually. There were no oddball interview questions; they just want to make sure you are interested in essentially cold calling all day and that you love Airbnb and what it embodies. Unfortunately, the position was "put on hold" through the holidays and I did not receive an offer. The whole interview process took a little over a month. I do believe that the next step would have been meeting the founders, so be prepared for that!

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick one public person to embody who you stand for, who would that be? Why are you interested in cold calling?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Airbnb in October 2011.

I had a two-hour interview with the woman who would be my supervisor if I had gotten the job. It was completely informal; a "meet-up" in a coffee shop. The woman spent most of the time talking about herself and how much the CEO likes her. She made it sound as if they were dating, but I don't think she meant to--it was just sloppy communication. I don't know if this is ABB's interview process now. They are a very young company, just trying to find their feet.

Aircorps Customer Experience Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Airbnb.

The initial interview process was done online, involving recorded video responses and timed written answers. Most questions were situational, such as: "If someone asked you this, how would you respond?" or "Recount the last time you went the above and beyond. How did you feel?" With the timed Q&A, you are given only a few minutes to respond. So speed read, and type fast! Overall, the process was quite interesting. However, I wouldn't do it again.

Interview Questions
    • How do you cut a round cake into 8 equal pieces using just 3 strokes of a knife?   View Answer

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Airbnb.

I applied via Airbnb website and I was emailed right away from the recruiter advising me that the position was closed at the moment but that they were planning to reopen it soon. She then invited me to follow the second stage of application which consists in answering a few questions about yourself and the company policies (nothing difficult, just how to become a host or what is the meaning of host and what does it involve) through an application called hireart which uses your webcam to register your answers and submit them to the company you are applying for.
    After submitting the hireart application I waited for at least 1 month, then I finally received an email where I was invited in taking part to the meet up with the airbnb hiring members. This was a group interview divided in phases and it lasted 3 hours.
    They called all the potential candidates together and they had them introuduce themselves to the group, typically adding a weird detail about themselves (e.g. which subject would you teach were you a teacher). Then they divided candidates in groups and they put them in separate rooms where they started some role plays. No worries, if you are really prepared about the company policies this part is pretty simple and fun. They presented different scenarios where either hosts or guests ask for information or refunds or simply help on difficult situations upon their arrival in the booked place.
    After this part (which lasted around 30 minutes) you and your group are presented with an imaginary situation where you need to pretend you survived a plane crash and you need to come up with a plan on what to do and expose it in front of the other groups.
    Finally, after answering a few questions about the position, they made us fill a form with some personal information where we had to select our preferred training date and then they put us in front of a pc where we had to answer a fake email from a customer asking random information about airbnb policies (again, nothing too difficult). It followed a 1 to 1 interview which lasted 5 minutes where I was asked why I wanted to work as a trust and safety investigator and what would I implement in airbnb.
    They gave me the feedback on the meetup right away, a few hours later, through email.
    they told me a couple of skype interviews would follow and that a recruitment member will have sent me the name of my interviewer who were supposed to ask me about my background and why I wanted to work for airbnb (again).
    This is when the process began to slow down. The first interview was set up 2 days after and it lasted 20 minutes. Let along I was advised of the time of the interview at 12:30 am (dublin time), regardless of the time difference. Anyway, the interviewer asked me questions like "what would you want to do if you were a child" or "what would you do if you had all the time and the money in the world" and he was clearly reading them from a pc. After this interview I haven't heard anything apart from a weird question about which potential training start date I preferred. I would have expected a feedback but apparently I didn't deserve one.
    Anyway after a couple of emails in which I asked if they could give me a straight answer about my candidacy process I received a refusal email stating that my background and experiences were not strong enough for the position. Now I wonder how is possible I was allowed to get so far up in the recruitment process given that they had my curriculum since the very beginning, they could have noticed earlier that I didn't have the proper background for the position.
    All in all that was a huge waste of my time and I feel airbnb recruitment process should be more thorough.

Interview Questions
    • What don't you like about airbnb?
      Explain me what is airbnb in 30 seconds
        Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Airbnb in April 2013.

A friend of mine had recently started working at Airbnb and they put me in touch directly with the hiring manager of the data science team. A referral is the quickest way to get an interview; I had applied to Airbnb weeks earlier and still hadn’t heard a peep.

I had a pleasant half hour chat onsite with the hiring manager, who offered the option of coming for an onsite tour or a phone interview. It went well enough, and by the time I’d left the office, we’d tentatively planned a full onsite interview for the following week.

The on-site interview was to be structured as follows: in the morning, I’d work on some basic data manipulation tasks under the guidance of the 2nd-in-command of the data science team. Following that, there’d be a half hour chat with him and another senior member of the team. Then, lunch with the whole team. In the afternoon, I’d have 3 hours to work on the “challenge problem”, an open-ended question in which I’d go through their past data to try and answer a question related to running their business more smoothly. At the end of the day, I would present my findings to the whole data science team.

When I showed up that morning, Mr. 2nd-in-Command wasn’t available. The hiring manager himself, who seemed annoyed at having to intervene, got me set up at a standing workstation just a few feet away from where the data science team sat. You have the choice of using STATA, R or MySQL. After an hour or so, I’d finished the initial problems, and it was time for the chat with Mr. Second-in-Command and the other senior team member. Both were busy with meetings, so the hiring manager suggested I get an early start on the “challenge problem” before lunch.

Working at a standing workstation got exhausting after a while. I asked the hiring manager for a chair so I could rest, but he never mentioned that by pulling a lever, the standing workstation could transform into a desk I could sit at. I didn’t figure that part out till mid-afternoon, when I saw someone nearby did the same.

Airbnb’s data science team consisted of about 10 people. I found them to be extremely bright and a bit introverted. On a couple occasions during the afternoon, I walked over to the data science desks to chat and see what they were working on, but no one seemed to take the slightest notice that I was there. I asked Mr. Second-in-Command about the “chat” we were supposed to have earlier in the day. Looking as if I had blindsided him, he checked his calendar, then walked over to my standing workstation, asked me a couple questions about my background and whether I had any issues with the data challenge, then proceeded back to his desk.

The “challenge problem” was simple in principle yet challenging, since there were so many ways to approach it. You only have 3 hours to do it, and it can take a good chunk of that to read in and understand the data. I wasn’t happy with the approach I took, but as the clock ticked I felt too committed to change anything. In hindsight, it would have been better to take a step back and think more creatively before diving in and trying the first thing that came to mind.

At 4:30pm, Mr. 2nd-in-Command rounded up the data science team for my presentation. 8 people attended, not including the hiring manager, who was busy in meetings. 4 people brought their laptops and buried their noses in them and I had to fight for their attention. The team didn’t seem very impressed by my presentation, and by the time I was done it was clear I wasn’t getting any further in the interview process.

I was disappointed in the day. Part of that was feeling like I could have done better on the data challenge, but I also felt let down by the process. It was less of an interview, and more of a skills test under pressure. In a way, that’s a good thing because they can see what you’re capable of. But it also feels like they’re giving you the cold shoulder as a candidate, as you’re spending all day on the skills test, and don’t get much of a chance to talk to anyone on the team. Lunch is only 30 minutes, and your mind is busy trying to think of solutions to the challenge problem. It also doesn’t help when neither of the 2 people who are supposed to interview you bother to do so. Given how little time I spent talking to people, I wonder why they don’t just give the skills test remotely, so you don’t have to take a day off work to do it.

I know it’s a data scientist job and it’s mostly technically focused, but I was hoping that Airbnb would have been more fun to interview at. When I asked the team what they did as a team for fun, their reply was that generally, every other team besides data science was more fun to hang out with, and they hadn’t done anything as a team in a long time.

It took 2 weeks for a recruiter to get back to me. Although an offer from Airbnb would have been hard to turn down because of their success and reputation, part of me wonders if I would have enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • I won't reveal the challenge question, but when you get it, take a step back and don't rush yourself. It's more important to have a good idea and know how to execute it, rather than trying to execute everything and realizing you took the wrong approach.   Answer Question

Worked for Airbnb? Contribute to the Community!