Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

Customer Support Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied for this job sometime in Winter 2011. First, I received an email apology on February 2 for not replying to everyone's applications for this position and that we'd receive responses soon. Then I received a later email on February 16 saying Airbnb was not hiring for this position because the new focus was on finding customer support agents and if the Content Manager position opened up, we would be the first applicants to hear back. Now, over a month later (March 23), I receive an email that this position was filled.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online Nov 2013. 1. Few days later spoke with very knowledgeable recruiter. 2. In 2 days scheduled the tech phone screen using coderpad - didn't have enough time to finish the problem. Overall the questions are on the difficult side for phone screening. I wonder how many people can produce working code in 40min. I would recommend people try the two questions, and give yourself 40min for each. The code need to be complied and working. Please comment on this post and tell how long it too you.

Interview Questions

• 1. find all the combinations of a string in lowercase and uppercase. For example, string "ab" -> "ab", "Ab", "aB", "AB". So, you will have 2^n (n = number of chars in the string) output strings. The goal is for you to test each of these string and see if it match a hidden string. 2. Implement a simple regex parser which, given a string and a pattern, returns a boolean indicating whether the input matches the pattern. By simple, we mean that the regex can only contain special character: * (star), . (dot), + (plus). The star means what you'd expect, that there will be zero or more of previous character in that place in the pattern. The dot means any character for that position. The plus means one or more of previous character in that place in the pattern.   3 Answers

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview and hiring process are great. Well designed for the experience. Their Talent team is respectful of your time and is flexible with scheduling. The interviews are thorough and suited for the skill set they are looking for. I have to say, I had FUN at this interview day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed for this role.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

- Phone screening with recruiter (1): pretty straight forward but asked for salary requirements... was surprising upfront - Skype interview with head of team (1): waiting 45 minutes and he didn't show up, they rescheduled me late that night for early next morning (no time to notify work) - Five 30 minute interviews with manager, team and other teams: straightforward, asked some challenging questions but it was pleasant and fun, just exhausting - Emailed me with a project I spent 20+ hours on, said I would be presenting to team but then ultimately got scheduled for 4 more 30 minute interviews (2 were for culture fits) and one 30 minute presentation to one person (seemed like different than what they originally wanted me to do) Overall I had 12 interviews but the recruiters were great in getting back to me quickly. There was some miscommunication and cancellations, which I found frustrating. I had to miss a lot of work and would have been really upset if they put me through all this and they didn't offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that I can't find on your resume, LinkedIn, online, etc.; What's been your biggest risk, asked a lot of weird questions, but just do your research and be prepared for non-traditional questions for cultural value interviews   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate anything but they offered me a small sign-on bonus

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

The interview process is one phone screen , followed by a day of onsite. The phone screen question was difficult, however I could solve it systematically, it was a DP problem with a use case for airbnb. I found their onsite to be increasing difficult as the day progressed . They make you write real code in a pc, which in my opinion is too less of a time, given the complexity of the problems they ask. It usually advanced DP and graph problems.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was drawn out and it took very long to hear back, but I was updated regularly. The interviewers were all very friendly and professional. All calls were made through Skype so they were all face to face, sort of.

Interview Questions

• What would you answer, when a customer asks: I should have received a payout! Why have I not received the payout yet!?   Answer Question

CX Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

As described before me, It starts with a resume, cover letter, and hireart video intvw. If you're lucky enough to be contacted after this, group interview. 3 hours, but employees are the coolest people. Be yourself above all. This company is all about culture fit, and if you don't fit, you'll both clearly know. Role playing is tough, not going to lie. If you're one of the few to make it throught the group intvw, you have a final skype with cross functional member to see if you're a culture fit. Mine was more formal than expected but be prepared for anything. Then, offer or not.

Anonymous Engineer Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I can only describe my interview process with Airbnb's recruiter as a constant struggle. My HR Rep initially reached out to me to ask for an brief phone screen. She failed to call me. I emailed her about 30 minutes after her slip-up. She gives me the cold shoulder. She emailed me two weeks later with this statement: "Apologies - an unexpected, yet essential, meeting popped up". The sad thing is, if you read a few other interview reviews here on Glassdoor, this seems to be (almost word-for-word) a pathetic excuse for Airbnb to basically say to their prospective candidates, "YEAH, we didn't care to do our jobs or to be hospitable for two weeks, but it's all cool". Anyway.... So she asks me for another chance to speak on the phone. Another week goes by and I speak with her on the phone. She says the next step would be for me to speak over the phone with the director of the department. Another week goes by and the director failed to call me. I immediately emailed my recruiter. She tells me that the director has called my phone and has left a voice message. Of course that wasn't true - I never had a phone call and never had any message. He likely misdialed. I insist I have not received any phone calls and that I need to speak to him about the position immediately. My recruiter yet again gives me the cold shoulder. At this point, I am so annoyed with my recruiter's apathetic attitude and her lack of communication that I go out of my way to actually GUESS (correctly) the department director's Airbnb email address. I write the director that my recruiter basically is useless and that he can call me anytime at his convenience. Not more than 5 hours later the director calls me. He is thrilled to speak to me and is excited to meet me in person. The next step was to meet in person, but unfortunately, I had to go through my lame recruiter. So naturally, this process was drawn out for a week and a half before hearing from her. Another week goes by and I meet the director at Airbnb's HQ. The interview itself was actually very relaxed. It felt like we were chatting more than we were interviewing. So in that sense, Airbnb's interview (not the interviewing process, but specifically the interview) was quite enjoyable. The director is elated at my experience and at my personality and wants to push me through to the next step, which is to speak with six staff members to see if I fit into Airbnb's culture. Another week goes by. I reenter Airbnb's HQ and speak with six different staff members. They were all friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me. The interviews were relaxed. I was asked questions relating to my personality: What's your favorite movie? What super hero would you be if you could be one? What fundraiser would you love to start? If you could give a TED Talk, what subject would you preach? Why do you want to work for Airbnb? Given the nature of my title, no one person on staff seemed to know anything technical regarding the position. In that sense, I was only asked very vague questions related to the position: "Uh, what kind of experience do you have working with Mac platforms?" After 3 hours and six interviews, I unexpectedly find myself meeting with my doorknob of a recruiter. I had to swallow my pride and not confront her about how disrespectful she has been and how impossible it has been to work with her. She tells me the salary for the position and tells me she will call me the next day to tell me if I were going to be hired, or not. She promised me she would call - in either case, definitively the next day - with a final answer. Again, and for the third time, she failed to call me. A few days go by and I email her asking to speak with her. She emails me a week later. "Apologies! We are meeting with staff midweek to determine if you are a good fit." She somehow manages to drag out our lackluster communication another week before sending me a pathetic, "Thanks for your interest in the position, but unfortunately, you had slightly less experience that other candidates." What experience was I lacking? She couldn't tell me. Naturally. TL;DR Sorry for the rant, but ultimately, the interviews themselves were easy and relaxed, but due to unprofessional staff, my interview process was a constant, miserable battle for communication which remarkably enough was somehow dragged out for over 60 days.

Interview Questions

• If you could give a TED Talk, on any topic, what subject would you preach to Airbnb employees?   Answer Question

Head of Global Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter. I was invited in for in-person interviews and then asked to complete two writing assignments to demonstrate my communications skills -- given two scenarios, provide an overview of your approach and communications plan. Was invited in for another round of interviews with more members of the team. Invited for a third round, which included "core values interviews" with people outside the team to determine culture fit. Overall a positive experience, though almost too positive -- I received such good feedback all along that I was surprised when an offer wasn't extended.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style? Have you tried Airbnb? Tell me about the experience. Would you be an Airbnb host? What’s something you’re proud of? What does it mean to be a host? As a leader, how would you be a host to your team? If you could have an hour on stage in front of the company to teach everyone something, what would you teach them? Why are you interested in Airbnb?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in March 2015.

Interview

Interview lasted around 3 - 4 weeks. It started with a phone interview, next was a hiring meet-up with other candidates who applied for the same role. Hiring meet-up consisted of a writing test, group activities, case scenarios and 1:1 interviews. Last round was Core Values interview that was done on Skype.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you went out of your way to help someone?   Answer Question