Airbnb

Updated Jan 17, 2015
Updated Jan 17, 2015

2.9

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

The hiring process has 4 steps. First is submit a cover letter and resume, second is a video interview and series of questions related to Airbnb policy, the third is a group interview, and the fourth is a Skype interview.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

I applied online by employee referral. The process took 2+ months.
    I was really excited, even if the feedback received from current employees and previous unsuccessful candidates made me a little bit doubtful about the unconventional Company Culture.

The first step was an online test called “Hireart” which consisted of four written questions and three videos, that I had to record. This took a few hours, though it says it should only take 40 min.
    After 2 months I received the invitation for the next step, this was an informal meeting, they called it " Hiring meetup" in which you meet other applicants. Location: Shelbourne Park,it is a greyhound racing stadium (they pretend to be cool). Even if the hiring meeting was indoor, we were literally freezing. It's was uncomfortable.
    There were about 25 or so other candidates and about 8 current Airbnb employees.
    After a short introduction of ourselves and our travelling experience (some of them swam with the sharks, climbed the Everest, explored the Amazonia.... seriously?) , then we were divided in four groups and had to start the role play process.
    Next step: language test: written test in your mother tongue, three questions, very easy.
    The last step was a 121 interview with team leaders and members of the team . In my case the interviewer was a CS Agent ( 8 months in the company... like a New starter) .15 minutes in which we had to talk again about ourselves, travelling experience, my biggest failure, so nothing at all about customer service or other professional skills. It was really funny…or ridiculous.
    The day after I received the standard feedback “Unfortunately, after carefully considering your background, qualifications, and our conversations, the hiring team doesn’t feel that you are a fit for this role. They all had great things to say about you, but feel there are other candidates who had more of the experience necessary for this particular position."

They don't call the work environment with usual words: they said " we are a Community" instead team or company (maybe they forget that Airbnb is a Miltinational Company, they make every day a lot of money and actually they don't work for a charity Company) , they talk about free snack and food instead "Benefits" , they were excited about their Happy-Hour after work.... Seriously, it was worrying. It's like a cult not a job.

Average age of candidates: 27y , most of them without work experience, but full of energy and zest. Perfect to work on.

Personally: In more than 5+ years experience in Customer Service industry, this is definitely the worse experience ever had, a disgraceful waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something extraordinary you did in the past month?
      What don't you like about airbnb?
      When was the last time you helped someone?

View Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb in December 2014.

I filled out an online application then was immediately sent a link to the HireArt portion. The written and video questions were quite easy, but it also took me much longer than the time suggested. I was invited to the hiring meet up which was actually a lot of fun. Everyone mingled, then we introduced ourselves to the group with a fun fact and our favorite Airbnb experience. We then split up into groups of six and role played. The Airbnb employee would "call" you with a hand phone and you had to pretend to be a Customer Experience Specialist dealing with real problems from previous guests. We also did a survival game in our groups...our group was on a ship that sank and we had to pick five items from a list of 10-15 things that we could take with us. After that, we filled out availability forms (make sure you know your Skype username) and had short individual interviews. The hiring meet up lasted 3 hours and was very casual.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to give a TED Talk, what would you give it on?   Answer Question

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb.

You apply online and wait........

Then you get an email to create some videos answering some questions.

You then get another email letting you know you got two to three Skype interviews.

After you get an invite to a group interview.

Then you get a job offer

Fly to San Francisco to learn how the business works and how the corporate office runs.

Interview Questions
    • None, I was just my self and answered the questions as honestly as possible.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

Applied online via the Airbnb website after which I was asked to complete a web interview on HireArt. A month later I was asked to attend a Hiring Meetup which is a group meeting of about 20 or more applicants. After introducing ourselves we were split into groups where we were given different scenarios and had to say what we would do in that situation and a survival exercise where, as a group, we had to pick the top and bottom 5 items off a list and come up with a way to survive in a certain disaster situation which we then had to present to the other groups. Finally, there was a 5 minute 121 interview with one of the several staff that were there. Apart from the call scenarios I wasn't really asked any questions relating to customer service which I found a bit odd. Received an email a few days later telling me that I didn't "have the necessary experience for the role" despite having 5+ years in the customer service call centre industry including as a Team Leader at one company and the fact that I was probably the oldest of all the candidates. Mainly found it a bit strange that they bothered to invite me to the second stage at all when my experience can clearly be seen on my CV.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your greatest adventure   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you received bad customer service   Answer Question
    • How would you cut a cake into 8 slices using just 3 cuts of a knife   View Answer

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb.

The interview process is one phone screen , followed by a day of onsite.
    The phone screen question was difficult, however I could solve it systematically, it was a DP problem with a use case for airbnb. I found their onsite to be increasing difficult as the day progressed . They make you write real code in a pc, which in my opinion is too less of a time, given the complexity of the problems they ask. It usually advanced DP and graph problems.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

The first step was an online test called “Hireart” which consisted of four written questions and three videos, that I had to record. This took quite a while, nearly four hours to answer all and practice the videos (definetly too much).

Few days later I was invited to the “Hire meetup” which was very inorganised. As “Airbnb friendly”, traveller and customer service experienced, I was pretty confident but the first feeling I had once arrived, was to that I was back in college considering the average age of the other candidates. There were almost 25 people squashed in a room with some still joining the meeting 40 minutes after the starting time and nobody of the recruiting team said a word.

After a short introduction of ourselves and our travelling experience, we were divided in four groups and had to start the role play process in an extremely cold room.

The last step was a 1to1 interview with team leaders and members of the team (some of them in the company only a few months) in which we had to talk again and again about ourselves, travelling experience, what Airbnb means for us and hobbies, so nothing at all about customer service or other professional skills. At some stage I didn't know what we were talking about and why I was there because there was nothing related to the job in the conversations.

In the last part of the meeting (after more than three hours) some candidates were hanging around and weren't that sure if they were free to go or not.

The complete joke has been the feedback that I received four days later in which they said that “after considering my background, qualifications and the conversations, they felt that I didn’t fit for the role because I haven’t got the necessary experience for that position” .

I mean, not to argue about the fact that other candidates had more experience but why did they invite me to the second step after reviewing my CV and the Hireart which was more technical if I had not the relevant experience? They pretend to be “cool and different” but the recruiting process is absolute disgraceful and unprofessional.

In almost ten years this is definitely the worse experience ever had.

Seriously, if you're experienced and you're looking to move up in your career, don't waste your energy and days off, they are not looking for you.

Interview Questions
    • - Last time you did something for someone and you didn't have to do.
      - A guest is out of the place booked and he cannot contact the host. What do you do?
      - What was your most difficult decision in your life

Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb.

My first interviewer was late, bored, and told me that he was looking for people with a lot of experience to join the team. I have 3 years of experience and the hiring manager is looking for people with "9-11, ideally." There was a huge gap between what I have and what they are looking for and at that point, I had no idea why I was invited on site. At the end of the first interview (which was with the hiring manager), he told me I would be cut off if the first few interviewers decided it isn't going well. From that point, it was clear to me I would be cut off. Two interviews later, I was cut off because they are "looking for someone with more experience" and "the team doesn't have enough time to train someone right now."

I'm insulted that I was invited on site and then rejected for a lack of experience which my resume clearly reflects. It was a waste of my time and disrespectful on Airbnb's part to treat a candidate this way. I also felt I was boring the hiring manager before I even opened my mouth, as he was about ten minutes late and spoke about his passion for Airbnb with such apathy that I almost wanted to laugh. I left Airbnb with an awful impression of the company and the recruiting team.

One last note: one of the interviews spoke about how difficult the interviews can be for engineers, specifically the "values" part where they are basically testing your passion for Airbnb. He talked about how many engineers fail that question, especially foreign candidates, who don't show passion in the "right" way even when they succeed technically in the interviews and are otherwise nice and pleasant people. Company culture is important, but Airbnb's culture does not seem to be one that cares about hiring the best, but rather those who look and sound like themselves.

Overall, I came away with an awful impression of Airbnb and its company culture.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Airbnb.

Starts off with a phone interview for screening and explanation of what to expect. Next and final step is onsite with 4 or 5 face to face meetings. Each interview was one on one. Met with RC, 2 Sourcers, Recruiter and Manager. Half of the people don't have more than a year or two experience. It was a bit insulting since I have over 10 and couldn't really talk to a true peer. No one smiles much. Not sure if they're not happy or just wanted to get through the interview and back to recruiting. I was rejected. They were nice enough to call me instead of email form letter.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions for a recruiter. Not focused on metrics/past performance,achievements, more on how you solve problems. Totally fine to interview this way but doesn't give any credit for prior experiences.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb.

I was invited to send a video interview via Hireart.
    I then was called to a 3 hours group interview.
    It was the second time I was invited to this group interview, last time being for a trust and safety investigator position.
    The interview process was all the same as the previous one. Group introduction, role plays and written tests with questions about the company.
    I must say I am truly disappointed about Airbnb. They almost shout to the world that they are looking for motivated people, passionate about the company. I personally must have sent more than 20 cvs, even though I was rejected the first time almost at the end of the hiring process with a lame excuse "your background is not a fit for the position" (then why picking me for the interview in the first place?). But I did not lose heart, I tried and tried, I was called once again for the customer experience specialist position and I started the hiring process again. If this is not proving myself to be passionate about the company I wonder what is. I had to watch people being picked over me just because they have an internal referral, or because the interviewer found them nicer.
    Truly truly disappointing. I am not sure this is the kind of company I want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • None, they didn't even give me a chance. Great reward after 8 months I have been waiting to be called for the interview.   Answer Question