Airbnb Interview Questions

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Airbnb.

Starts off with a phone interview for screening and explanation of what to expect. Next and final step is onsite with 4 or 5 face to face meetings. Each interview was one on one. Met with RC, 2 Sourcers, Recruiter and Manager. Half of the people don't have more than a year or two experience. It was a bit insulting since I have over 10 and couldn't really talk to a true peer. No one smiles much. Not sure if they're not happy or just wanted to get through the interview and back to recruiting. I was rejected. They were nice enough to call me instead of email form letter.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions for a recruiter. Not focused on metrics/past performance,achievements, more on how you solve problems. Totally fine to interview this way but doesn't give any credit for prior experiences.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Was sent a data set to analyze. Sent the results back to be crunched by them.
    Then had an on-site interview and had to interact with the team there as well.

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

I had two initial phone calls and two onsite interviews. They went smoothly and I had a pleasant experience with all the recruiters, managers and other colleagues from the company. When I came back for my second round of onsites, I was welcomed back warmly and they paid attention to detail in personally welcoming me back. I felt at home and I felt like I "belonged". I had two interviewers in particular who grilled me on my techniques, but they were really awesome about it and we ended up having some pretty amazing conversations about techniques in the industry and different approaches to accomplishing goals.

Interview Questions
    • A huge part of the interview process is what they call "Core Values" interviews. These are a very important piece of the process, as the company is adamant about maintaining their culture and determining if candidates will be a good fit for the culture. I was also asked questions pertaining to my sourcing skills, what my relationships were like with managers/coworkers and how I build relationships with people.   Answer Question

IT Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

Applied online and a recruiter got in touch with me. She later scheduled a phone interview to go over job roles and responsibilities. After couple of days she said hiring manager wanted to schedule a technical round with me. When hiring manager called he was rude and did not care about my work experience as I did not have any certifications. If the hiring manager knew he wanted someone with certifications then he shouldn't have shortlisted my resume for a technical round.

Interview Questions
    • why did you not write any certifications? Rate yourself on scripting languages you know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

Initial talk with recruiter to discuss me, the role I was applying for, and the company. Talked about what I was looking for, how I wanted to grow, and my experiences with Airbnb as a product. Recruiter was very kind and clear, and told me exactly what I was to expect in each phase of the process.

Next phase was a take-home data challenge- pretty straightforward: you're given a dataset and in 3 hours, you answer some questions about it, present results graphically, etc and email it back. This was returned to the team I was applying for, and I heard in less than a week that I was invited to onsite. Another phone call with the recruiter followed, who gave me details about onsite.

Onsite interview has been described extensively on Quora- arrive at 930/10, meet with a team member to go over assignment, start working. Lunch around 1230, followed by presentation at 430. It's an open-ended and therefore tough assignment, but super fun. You just have to get to work. You work alongside the rest of Airbnb- if you think it's too loud/ annoying/ etc, it's probably not a good fit for you. At presentation, people were interested in what I had done and asked some challenging questions. But they seemed driven by curiosity than anything else.

After this, was invited for a final set of onsite interviews. Recruiter followed up with some things to read, videos about company and their values. Met with recruiter morning of interview and she again walked me through the whole process, detailing what I could expect and who I would be meeting with. 2 interviews were cultural/ core values interviews and I am sure they have been documented elsewhere. In short, will you be a good fit here? How do you approach challenges? What moves you? Interviews with a software engineer, head of product, and team manager followed. All were hands-on, and entailed demonstrating product knowledge and business.

Offer followed onsite, recruiters were very hands-on and helpful through offer and negotiation. Various members of team I was to join emailed and offered to answer questions, including managers.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2014.

After talking to HR for a cultural fit, a later week I have been assigned a 3-hour at-home data challenge. The data challenge consisted in analyzing CVS files and check the significance of a test already performed in that data. The challenge itself was not super difficult, but I thought it was impossible to be completed in 3 hours.
    Needless to say, I didn't make it to the second part of the interview process.

Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in September 2014.

Maybe 2.5 weeks after I applied I had a phone interview with two people from the design department. They were awesome to talk to, really laid-back and we didn't even start the interview until 10 minutes into the conversation. Probably talked for 45 minutes, each guy asking me questions. Pretty straight forward stuff. I happened to be in SF so I went out and had a face to face interview with some folks from the team. Again, all super friendly. Showed me around the office afterwards. The experience could not have been better. I felt like I was talking with friends.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Airbnb in August 2014.

I applied through a recruiter, who promptly scheduled a phone screening - the general talk about personal things.

They then quickly scheduled another phone screening, this time with an engineer to test my coding ability (it took about a week between the initial screening and the technical interview). They asked me to code a csv parser in the 45 minutes of allotted time and get it to compile and run correctly. For this reason I chose python (java takes too long to get the peripheral framework ready to run). I would practice getting code to compile and run in about 35 minutes because it takes about 10 minutes to understand their question in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Parse an escaped string into csv format.   View Answer

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Airbnb.

Big group interview, where there are about 15 interviewees and 4 or so interviewers. They ask you to introduce yourself, tell a memorable experience with the company and a fun fact about yourself. Then you are broken into groups where you pretend to answer phones with "real" customer problems, and you have to provide the solution. Then your group is given a "survival" scenario, and you have to present that to the other group. Which is funny because both of our groups had the same solution to the same scenario.... Anyway then you're supposed to be taken for an individual interview and sat down to chat with someone, but the guy I talked to didn't take notes, he didn't ask me any questions that were on his clipboard, and we just walked around and seemed to chit chat. I didn't have a chance to tell them WHY I would be a good fit for the company- he never asked me specifically my background, or what I wanted from the position, or what I could offer the company. Just whether I could use a Mac. Come on. He seemed like he was in a huge rush to get our "talk" over so he could "talk" with the next interviewee, and in doing so was just more concerned with getting done than with actually recruiting talent. I feel like this process did not capture my individual talent and I wasn't able to communicate what I'd bring to the team by being evaluated as part of a big herd and not also as an individual. Flawed process.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb in July 2014.

Initial ad, followed by HireArt videos. If they like your videos enough, they will schedule a phone interview, then an in-person. The recruiter is very hands-off, and doesn't touch your application until after the HireArt team reviews your video answers. The phone interview didn't really seem to get a grasp of what I could bring to the organization, and the questions were somewhat all over the place.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing for me was that they kept talking about how important culture was, but didn't even ask any questions about me, personally.   Answer Question