Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was recruited to apply for a frontend software engineering position at Airbnb, and invited in to the office to have lunch and chat with a recruiter. I was warned that the interview process was incredibly selective, and that it would best to over prepare. Luckily, I wasn't in a rush to leave my current job, so I scheduled my phone screen for 2 weeks out, and spent the time brushing up on data structures and algorithms. The phone screen was a live coding exercise, which lasted about 45 minutes. They called me up the next day to schedule an onsite for the following week. The onsite was a bit of a marathon, 1 general coding interview, 2 frontend focused interviews, a break for lunch, then 1 architecture interview, and 2 culture fit interviews. Each segment lasted about an hour. Honestly, it was challenging, but not unfairly so. All the questions seemed focused on my ability to do the job, rather than simply brain teasers or hypotheticals. I ended up smiling my way through most of the sessions. They followed up really quickly (I had a verbal yes the next day and an offer within a couple of days).

Interview Questions

• Can't give out specific questions, but I feel like the interview is mostly: 1) Can you do the job? 2) Can we work with you? Be good at what you do, but don't be afraid to treat the interviewer as a collaborator.   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in June 2015.

Interview

The process was a bit confusing. Apparently there were on-contract positions and temp. positions. I sent my resume and interest blurb to a classified on Jobsthatareleft heard back from one employee that scheduled a phone interview. And I also applied online through Airbnb, and was scheduled to do a skype call. Unbeknownst to me, they were for different community organizer positions. I got neither of them.

Interview Questions

• If you were assigned a region of the city that was not engaged in the politics or debate, how would you activate them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Their whole process is really big on live speed coding, it doesn't matter how strong your experience is don't bother unless you've spent time practicing on topcoder. I skipped the online speed coding portion and moved straight to interviews. Because they had to break my interviews up over several days, I got actual feedback part way through. Killed all my past experience interviews (half a million lines of code to choose from), but they weren't happy with the speed of the speed coding, apparently. There's also an clear age bias, the projects (and their whole "youthful enthusiasm" culture stuff), and a head count around the office makes that pretty clear. Lots of Koolaid.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you've been a good host.   1 Answer

Head of Global Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter. I was invited in for in-person interviews and then asked to complete two writing assignments to demonstrate my communications skills -- given two scenarios, provide an overview of your approach and communications plan. Was invited in for another round of interviews with more members of the team. Invited for a third round, which included "core values interviews" with people outside the team to determine culture fit. Overall a positive experience, though almost too positive -- I received such good feedback all along that I was surprised when an offer wasn't extended.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style? Have you tried Airbnb? Tell me about the experience. Would you be an Airbnb host? What’s something you’re proud of? What does it mean to be a host? As a leader, how would you be a host to your team? If you could have an hour on stage in front of the company to teach everyone something, what would you teach them? Why are you interested in Airbnb?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

This was one bad experience. I have interviewed at many places- big and small companies and experience at AirBnb is easily the worst. I applied online and HR called to schedule a phone interview. We went back and forth and they could not interview on the dates I had provided. I was going to be in SF for something else the next week and they suggested that I come onsite directly for onsite interviews as the phone interview dates were not working out. So I extended my stay (my own expenses as I am not a local candidate) and got ready for onsite interviews. When I went there, and asked for the agenda - the HR tells me - that its going to be just 1 interview - similar to a phone interview except that its going to be in person. I was shocked. I showed them the email where they confirmed me for onsite and they simply stated it was a communication mishap. This costed me heavily in terms of time and money. The HR seemed very careless and inefficient. As for the interview, the interviewer asked me a Dynamic Programming question (hard one) and said - he didn't care how I implemented it but just wanted a working code in 30 mins. I tried and was very close to the solution. I had a minor bug in the base case of my recursion. The interviewer just stood up at the 30 min mark and left abruptly. I came out and quickly tried the solution in my laptop. I was able to complete it and get it working in another 5 mins. But from the looks of it, there is no credit for implementation idea, thought process or any such thing. Overall, very negative experience.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was great! From the second I wanted into the door everyone made me feel welcome, which then got me even more excited to be here. I was giving a tour of the building and was able to learn about the office and what kind of environment it is to work here.

Interview Questions

• I forgot the questions but they made me think out of the box...not your typical tell me about your last job sort of questions.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Everyone was extremely welcoming. The process was far less formal than other places I had been interviewing which allowed me to really be myself. I found myself actually enjoying being interviewed. I had 2 rounds of interviews. Each lasted about 3 hours, but the time flew by. It took a couple of months to finally get an offer, but I was beyond excited when I did.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a lot of hypothetical situations that could happen while scheduling and hosting candidates.   Answer Question

Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2015.

Interview

Was reached out to by email, brought in for coffee, followed up with phone call, scheduled an all-day portfolio review followed by 6 interviews. After being told I'd receive a followup next day, I didn't receive any responses for a week (after multiple email exchanges previously) finally found out there wasn't a fit over phone call. *Tip for Airbnb: You're good at making candidates feel like "they are a part of the family" up to the end of the interviews AKA Being a good "host". You're terrible at anything that happens thereafter (non-communicative) and you leave candidates feeling forgotten about. Work on more transparent communication between candidates and the recruiting team, and you'll increase your acceptance rate.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A few days later after submitting my resume and cv, I was invited for the phone interview with the recruiter. The interview was nice and friendly. I wasn't offered the job though.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: self-introduction, previous experience, why customer experience specialist at airbnb   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter who scheduled an initial interview with me. An hour before she said "an unexpected, yet essential, meeting" popped up on her calendar and she needed to reschedule for 3 hours later. I cordially agreed and waited for 40 minutes and received no call. I would have called directly to leave a message, but she didn't even leave her phone number in her email signature. I sent an email in response but still haven't received anything back. The experience was so unprofessional and rather rude for such a great company. Very unexpected and disappointing.