Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014
Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.8

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Airbnb in March 2014.

HR Screening followed by a take home test, Neither too hard nor easy. Take home test consists of analyzing a A/B test results.

Questions are a little weird, would be good to know how the questions would relate to the job responsibilities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in January 2014.

After the initial housekeeping with recruiters you do 2 phone screens that last ~45 minutes. Coding questions are the average DS and algo, but wrapped in some use scenario context, which is helpful.
    Mine included: lower/uppercase permutations, simple json parsing, implementing a simple socket based client (could lookup docs online).
    You need to produce *running code (this is true for both phone and onsite), but that shouldn't make you nervous.

Arch/Design questions is what got me. You're expected to know database/relation design, indexing, different layers of caching and lookup optimization as if you do this all day every day.
    You can answer these Q's in either Sql or NoSql context.

Then there are 2 quirky culture/fit interviews. Know why you want to work there, be ready to share some experiences from traveling (and hopefully using AirBnB), and have something new to teach your interviewer in a few minutes. That part is actually fun.

All in all a nice experience and anyone you interact with are pleasant and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • What SQL columns you should index and how would you change the indexing in different lookup scenarios?   Answer Question
    • What can you teach me in a few minutes?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2013.

Applied online Nov 2013.

1. Few days later spoke with very knowledgeable recruiter.
    2. In 2 days scheduled the tech phone screen using coderpad - didn't have enough time to finish the problem.

Overall the questions are on the difficult side for phone screening. I wonder how many people can produce working code in 40min. I would recommend people try the two questions, and give yourself 40min for each. The code need to be complied and working. Please comment on this post and tell how long it too you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. find all the combinations of a string in lowercase and uppercase. For example, string "ab" -> "ab", "Ab", "aB", "AB". So, you will have 2^n (n = number of chars in the string) output strings. The goal is for you to test each of these string and see if it match a hidden string.

2. Implement a simple regex parser which, given a string and a pattern, returns a boolean indicating whether the input matches the pattern. By simple, we mean that the regex can only contain special character: * (star), . (dot), + (plus). The star means what you'd expect, that there will be zero or more of previous character in that place in the pattern. The dot means any character for that position. The plus means one or more of previous character in that place in the pattern.
        View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in December 2013.

They were slow with the follow up with my initial application, but once they emailed me in regards to my first interview (and final) things moved quickly. They contacted me by the next day or two letting me know I got the job. Very relaxed interview, fun atmosphere, open layout of the workspaces, lots of sunlight. Seems like a great place to work, but the job wasn't really what I was looking for. *Please note, I interviewed with multiple people, but they were all 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions-I definitely over prepared for this interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb.

Very similar to below. Recruiter reached out through email, call with recruiter, and then a few technical phone screens, to an onsite.

The onsite was most of a day, and very tiring. There was 3 behavioral interviews along with 3 technical interviews.

Questions ranged from basic data structures/algo to scaling systems

Interview Questions
    • Find all words from a dictionary that are x edit distance away.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb.

Recruiter outreach (email), led to a call with the recruiter, and then a technical screen (Skype, coding in an online editor) with an engineer, which in turn lead to an onsite.

The onsite was very long, and had me talking to about 7 different team members (mostly engineers, and one interview with a designer for cultural fit); it lasted the entire day.

Lots of tree questions (implement a BST, score sudden-death tournament results with a minimal binary tree data structure, encode an alien dictionary using a tree and then produce a dictionary using topological traversal), and a "rebuild Twitter from the ground up" scaling/architecture question.

Interview Questions
    • Store a set of sudden-death tournament results in a compact format (eg. a bit array) and a set of predicted match results (also in a bit array). Score the predictions, giving one point per correctly guessed match, without unpacking the bit array into a more convenient format (ie. you have to traverse the tree in-place).   Answer Question

Photography Art Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb in November 2013.

I knew an employee who worked at the corporate HQ in San Francisco. They recommended that I apply to this opening due to my experience and they knew my personality would be a good match. I first applied on the Airbnb website under listed job openings and included my contact's name as a reference. I then contacted my reference, who then went straight to the hiring manager and told them about me. I ended up interviewing with the hiring manager over Skype, who was very sweet but thought that I may be over qualified for the job. Her questions were not too difficult and I felt quite positive about how it went. I remained in contact with the hiring manager via a few back and forth emails.

I was then asked to get on a 2nd Skype interview, where I spoke with 2 people in the department where I would be potentially working. The interview was about my experience and again not overly difficult. I contacted my friend who heard that my 2nd interview went really well. I followed up a few days afterwards, and didn't hear from Airbnb for another week. I was finally contacted via email with an assignment to answer about 4-5 questions about Airbnb's current photography message. I worked a few days on it and sent in my assignment as a killer presentation with 3 responses to their main question (instead of one).

After a week of no feedback or correspondence from Airbnb, I finally had a 3rd Skype call. The hiring manager wanted to tell me that I was one of the finalist but that I didn't get the job. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to present my assignment in person and I also felt that the role had not yet been defined, which made it quite difficult for me to prepare for. Plus how would you know if you were doing your job correctly when they didn't really know what they wanted out of this position.

I really enjoyed meeting the people who interviewed me and felt that working at Airbnb is very informal and not your typical corporate job. That being said, I feel that they need to hire more qualified people (the current employees seem over worked) and their brand going through Growing Pains because they have gotten way too Big too Fast.

My advice for Airbnb would be: Communicate a little quicker throughout the interviewing process. Don't wait a whole week to say that things are going well and to schedule a second/third interview. Even if you send a quick little email - that is better than waiting a whole week to get back in touch with people who are waiting. Also, Please Define what you want in a role BEFORE you ask people to apply for it.

For people applying to jobs at Airbnb : They love the adventurous, entrepreneur type and people who embrace the Sharing Economy.

Interview Questions
    • what is the message of airbnb's current photography brand?   Answer Question
    • How would you push the photography brand forward?   Answer Question
    • How would you tie the photography brand back to Airbnb's core values and philosophies?   Answer Question
    • How would you insure that this is the right direction for Airbnb? (Will this be the right direction in 10 years? Think about implications for our product and our community)   Answer Question

Lead Culinary Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Airbnb.

Interview process was a long half day process - group interview - social settings, ice breaker questions, things like what food that you recently had made you emotional, what spice would you be and why? then after group interview sessions, were one on one sessions with up to 2 team members - interviewers are cross section of teams - not just from the direct hiring supervisor but from other departments like Finance, Customer Service and HR

Interview Questions
    • very general and generic questions, asked questions to see if there was any research done on airbnb   Answer Question

Aircorps Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Airbnb.

The initial interview process was done online, involving recorded video responses and timed written answers. Most questions were situational, such as: "If someone asked you this, how would you respond?" or "Recount the last time you went the above and beyond. How did you feel?" With the timed Q&A, you are given only a few minutes to respond. So speed read, and type fast! Overall, the process was quite interesting. However, I wouldn't do it again.

Interview Questions
    • How do you cut a round cake into 8 equal pieces using just 3 strokes of a knife?   View Answer

Market Expert In SG Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview process was terrible, not streamline at all, no-one kept in touch with each other to be on the same recruiting page internally.

Got a first round with the head of sales in the local office, interview consisted of basic experience/background to what audience would I target, and what my approach would be. I thought went great as they talked about next steps in the interviewing process. However, no one was every reachable by email. Followed up 3 to 4 times during the next 3 to 4 weeks, no emails was every replied. Lacks professionalism and courtesy.

Interview Questions
    • nothing too hard. basic background and understanding of airbnb   Answer Question