Airbnb Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.1

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a link to fill submit some video interviews and short answers a little over 2 weeks later. I was given a week to complete it, so I spent a lot of time writing, prepping, and recording the answers. Questions were standard behavioral interview questions with a few that required some thinking outside the box. After submitting the videos and short answers at the end of the week, I received a canned email the beginning of the following week stating that they decided not to move forward with the application. At no point did I have the opportunity to interact with or get in contact with an actual person, and I do feel that a phone interview along with written exercises would be much more helpful in getting a feel for an applicant instead of recorded video responses. I would love to work at Airbnb but definitely did not feel valued as an applicant.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself. What should we know that isn't on your resume?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a specific time at work where you had multiple, competing priorities and you had to figure out what to do. How did you proceed?   Answer Question
    • Imagining that you had unlimited resources, what would you do at a new university in order to 1. connect with the best CS students and 2. build brand awareness on behalf of Airbnb?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me through Linkedin. This one was particularly disappointing because the recruiter painted a picture of an engineering culture that was so opposite what turned out to be. I had the impression that they cared more about having 100 of the exact same top 20 CS program grad, in favor of some actual culture with engineers that had passion and personality. Instead, they turned out to be worse school snobs even than Google.

Interview Questions

• I had a phone screen question involving examination of subsets.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Really slow and unprofessional . Recruiters don't value candidates time. It will hurt hiring in long term. They are bad in following up. They are slow to respond and provide feedback.

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of coming in for several rounds with cross-functional colleagues that the position would support. The team I met with and the recruiters were are very professional and considerate. It is abundantly clear to me that Airbnb is a great place to work. I would recommend them as an employer to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were designed to gauge my skill level and personal style.   Answer Question

Head of Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online, and received an email from the recruiter within a couple of days. We set up an initial phone interview, and it lasted about 30 minutes. The recruiter was going to discuss my background with the hiring manager and following up with next steps. The recruiter did follow up within a week to say they decided to go with another candidate, but we agreed to stay in touch Overall it was a good, professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in Airbnb? Give an example of a project related to the role that I'm proud of. Pretty normal stuff.   Answer Question

Head of Global Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter. I was invited in for in-person interviews and then asked to complete two writing assignments to demonstrate my communications skills -- given two scenarios, provide an overview of your approach and communications plan. Was invited in for another round of interviews with more members of the team. Invited for a third round, which included "core values interviews" with people outside the team to determine culture fit. Overall a positive experience, though almost too positive -- I received such good feedback all along that I was surprised when an offer wasn't extended.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style? Have you tried Airbnb? Tell me about the experience. Would you be an Airbnb host? What’s something you’re proud of? What does it mean to be a host? As a leader, how would you be a host to your team? If you could have an hour on stage in front of the company to teach everyone something, what would you teach them? Why are you interested in Airbnb?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A few days later after submitting my resume and cv, I was invited for the phone interview with the recruiter. The interview was nice and friendly. I wasn't offered the job though.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: self-introduction, previous experience, why customer experience specialist at airbnb   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was great! From the second I wanted into the door everyone made me feel welcome, which then got me even more excited to be here. I was giving a tour of the building and was able to learn about the office and what kind of environment it is to work here.

Interview Questions

• I forgot the questions but they made me think out of the box...not your typical tell me about your last job sort of questions.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Everyone was extremely welcoming. The process was far less formal than other places I had been interviewing which allowed me to really be myself. I found myself actually enjoying being interviewed. I had 2 rounds of interviews. Each lasted about 3 hours, but the time flew by. It took a couple of months to finally get an offer, but I was beyond excited when I did.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a lot of hypothetical situations that could happen while scheduling and hosting candidates.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

This was one bad experience. I have interviewed at many places- big and small companies and experience at AirBnb is easily the worst. I applied online and HR called to schedule a phone interview. We went back and forth and they could not interview on the dates I had provided. I was going to be in SF for something else the next week and they suggested that I come onsite directly for onsite interviews as the phone interview dates were not working out. So I extended my stay (my own expenses as I am not a local candidate) and got ready for onsite interviews. When I went there, and asked for the agenda - the HR tells me - that its going to be just 1 interview - similar to a phone interview except that its going to be in person. I was shocked. I showed them the email where they confirmed me for onsite and they simply stated it was a communication mishap. This costed me heavily in terms of time and money. The HR seemed very careless and inefficient. As for the interview, the interviewer asked me a Dynamic Programming question (hard one) and said - he didn't care how I implemented it but just wanted a working code in 30 mins. I tried and was very close to the solution. I had a minor bug in the base case of my recursion. The interviewer just stood up at the 30 min mark and left abruptly. I came out and quickly tried the solution in my laptop. I was able to complete it and get it working in another 5 mins. But from the looks of it, there is no credit for implementation idea, thought process or any such thing. Overall, very negative experience.