Airbnb Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 14, 2015

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Recruiters at Airbnb are the most unprofessional bunch of people. They don't reply to emails for weeks and don't attend you during onsite. In my onsite, one interviewer didn't come to interview room on time, the other was busy doing her work after giving me a question. I have interviewed at big/small all kind of companies, have offers from them but this was the worst experience so far. All my respect for the company gone down in drain.
    They publicize their "core values" so much, one of which is "Be a host." They were the worst host an interview candidate can get.

Interview Questions

• One thing I would like to remove from the Airbnb experience.   Answer Question

Design Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process is fast and the sourcer was very friendly. When brought onsite for my interview, the experience vastly changed. The first recruiter showed little no emotion or interest in speaking with me and spoke in a tone so quiet I could barely hear him. It felt like he was purposefully acting a certain way to test my personality which felt like a dishonest tactic. The second recruiter focused on my culture fit and asked meaningful questions - it was a positive experience. The third interview was very strange. They asked me to show them how I work on a day to day basis. The recruiter passed her computer to me and told me to show her. It didn't make any sense for the role I was applying for. Had I been a Designer, Engineer, or Writer, I would understand the need to conduct a skills test. Recruiting requires excellent communication and relationship building skills and a variety of soft skills that simply cant be tested this way. That round felt like a waste of time. For my final round, the last recruiter again seemed very unenthusiastic and unfriendly. By this time, I felt like the team had already made their decision has it showed on the last interviewers face.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke to a Recruiter and a phone screen was scheduled. The recruiter provided a link to sample phone screen questions. Questions there were good practice for the type of questions to expect (except 1). The phone screen was with an international person. After some chit chat, we got to Coderpad to do the problem. I was unable to fully code the solution in time, although I was almost there. Using Java is not a good language for timed solutions, because it's so verbose. Afterwards, I quickly got a rejection email from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Implement a circular buffer using an array.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screens with two recruiters, two engineers and a manager. Then onsite was three technical interviews, two cultural fit interviews and a manager. Everyone was nice and it seemed like a good environment.

Interview Questions

• phone1: Java and hive.
      phone2: Sql questions, joins, aggregates, sub queries, windowing.
      onsite1: sql and map reduce
      onsite2: datawarehouse modeling
      onsite3: string handling, complex fizz buzz kind of thing.

Answer Question

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewer called for phone interview on time and provided 35 minutes to complete coding task on coderpad. It wasn't enough time for me to complete code ,compile and run test cases but i explained what i would do .i did not get the on site interview Looks like there are people who can complete code ,compile and run test cases in 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• /*
      Given an array of arrays, implement an iterator class to allow the client to traverse and remove elements in the array list. This iterator should provide three public class member functions:

boolean has_next()
      return true or false if there is another element in the set
      int next()
      return the value of the next element in the set
      void remove()
      remove the last element returned by the iterator. That is, remove the element that the previous next() returned
      This method can be called only once per call to next(), otherwise, an exception will be thrown. See http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/Iterator.html#remove() for details.

The code should be well structured, and robust enough to handle any access pattern. Additionally, write code to demonstrate that the class can be used for the following basic scenarios:

Print elements

import java.io.*;
      import java.util.*;

* To execute Java, please define "static void main" on a class
       * named Solution.
       * If you need more classes, simply define them inline.

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 phone screens and an on site. Overall, it was a very fair process. The interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical. Prepare by studying data structures and algos.

Talent Scout Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I first recorded video answers on HireArt, then was called in to interview with three people from my team. Next, I visited again to interview with another person from my team and someone from another team. Overall, I enjoyed the interviews very much.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would remove from the Airbnb experience?   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I did not apply but was contacted by their recruiter to see if I was interested in the role. I decided to take the phone screen to learn more about the opportunity. The recruiter called 10 minutes late and immediately declared he had a hard stop in 20 minutes. There was a ton of background noise and I couldn't hear him too well. He then stated that he didn't have time to tell me about the role or the company. He had three questions for me all regarding my management and leadership experience (clearly outlined on the resume). End of call. No time for my questions. I received a call four days later informing me that due to the "overwhelming number of applicants they received" I didn't make the cut. They reached out to me - remember.

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Had 2 phone calls with a Recruiter who was great - asked relevant questions pertaining to my background and sold me on the opportunity. They quickly scheduled an onsite, and sent me tons of information to help me prepare for meeting more of the team. The process was efficient and they seem to want to set candidates up for success. Unfortunately, I dropped out due to another offer, but I was impressed with what I did experience.

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

My first interviewer was late, bored, and told me that he was looking for people with a lot of experience to join the team. I have 3 years of experience and the hiring manager is looking for people with "9-11, ideally." There was a huge gap between what I have and what they are looking for and at that point, I had no idea why I was invited on site. At the end of the first interview (which was with the hiring manager), he told me I would be cut off if the first few interviewers decided it isn't going well. From that point, it was clear to me I would be cut off. Two interviews later, I was cut off because they are "looking for someone with more experience" and "the team doesn't have enough time to train someone right now."

I'm insulted that I was invited on site and then rejected for a lack of experience which my resume clearly reflects. It was a waste of my time and disrespectful on Airbnb's part to treat a candidate this way. I also felt I was boring the hiring manager before I even opened my mouth, as he was about ten minutes late and spoke about his passion for Airbnb with such apathy that I almost wanted to laugh. I left Airbnb with an awful impression of the company and the recruiting team.

One last note: one of the interviews spoke about how difficult the interviews can be for engineers, specifically the "values" part where they are basically testing your passion for Airbnb. He talked about how many engineers fail that question, especially foreign candidates, who don't show passion in the "right" way even when they succeed technically in the interviews and are otherwise nice and pleasant people. Company culture is important, but Airbnb's culture does not seem to be one that cares about hiring the best, but rather those who look and sound like themselves.

Overall, I came away with an awful impression of Airbnb and its company culture.