Airgas Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.5

Recruiter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airgas.

Profile test sent and then called for phone interview that lasted over an hour long. Soft ball questions that seemed a little odd coming from HR people. I have my reservations about this place.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any commitments outside that would cause you to be late to work?
      Do you have a car or take the bus?

View Answer

Branch Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Airgas.

Applied for and was interviewed twice for branch managers position in a local office. First interview with HR person and local hiring manager. The second interview was with same hiring manager and area VP. Near the end of the second interview I was told the position I had applied for had been filled by a transfer and they were actually trying to fill his position at a location 30 miles away . Turns out they knew this before calling me. To some it may not have mattered, but in my mind It was a very deceptive hiring practice. Made me wonder what they would have done to me if I had taken the job. Trust is important.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle employees that don't do what you want them to do?   Answer Question

Terminal Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Airgas in March 2015.

Applied for the job online, received an invite for a phone interview, conducted the phone interview. I was then invited to a face-to-face interview with a regional manager. Then received a invite to the Corporate Headquarters for a final interview. The final was a Panel interview with five managers and two Human Resources Representative.

Interview Questions
    • It was a round robin, random questions from all seven panel members   View Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Airgas.

After apply I was Contacted via phone two weeks later to setup face-face. I actually met with the branch manager and district manager that day. Interview was very informal and received a tour of the branch after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • First three questions was from the district manager...
      1. How old are you!?!?!?
      2. Are you married!?!?!?
      3. Do you have kids!?!?!

....Unbelievable!!!!

Seeing how I didn't get a call I should be suing for discrimination....

Answer Question

Manager Sales Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Airgas.

Weak interview process - scripted screen questions. Made me take a profile test. Recruiter seemed distracted and not prepared. Couldn't answer questions I had about compensation plan or benefits.
    VP hr met me as talked about himself more than he was interested in my skills and experience and fit. Met with hiring manager at location twice. Low ball initial offer - countered twice.

Interview Questions
    • None really. HR was more interested in talking about himself and his lifestyle.   View Answer
    Two rounds of counter offers

Recruiter Interview

I had an initial phone screen and then I was invited to interview with the HR Director and HR VP. All interviews went very well (and they even told me this). However, they failed at letting me know that I didn't get selected. I think it's very unprofessional to leave candidates hanging. This says a lot about how they must treat their own employees, if they treat candidates like this. I wouldn't want to work for a company like this and I will never interview with Airgas again in the future. Plus, I don't think it's exciting to recruit truck drivers and they seem to have issues with retaining them. Seems like a headache!

Plant Operator Interview

easy initial phone call simple math test and physical test went for interview really relaxed suprised I was dressed up for the interview redneck hicks and that was that and I got hired. Really simple just apply anyone can get a jump working there

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Airgas in January 2015.

I recently applied at two different locations for a delivery driver. They were both hiring for the same position but in different locations. I informed both branches that I had also applied and was contacted to be interviewed by the other branch. In one location, the branch manager had a sales employee contact me and at the other, the district manager contact me. I received an initial interview at both locations with the branch manager. Then a second interview was conducted at both locations.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were generic in one sense with the first branch by the manager. The manager was assisted by the district manager and a previous driver whom has transitioned to another position. This was a new process for me but very rewarding because it was a good experience for me during this process. Basic questions were asked and it appeared that it was a generic set of questions that originated from the internet. I was fairly familiar with them because I managed for 13 years. I was not really impressed with this process because it appeared less genuine. However, one thing that I have learned to appreciate is that we all have our strong points as leaders or managers and this could have simply been a circumstance situation that produced a generic listing of interview questions buy the manager. They district manager really asked a very good question. With your experience and education, where do you see yourself in the next few years? I pondered it for a second or two, with my experience and educational background, I would be interested if the opportunity presented itself to be in your position within that time frame. Everyone smiled and laughed a little then I corrected it slightly not to ruffle the feather of the manager. the district manager said well, that means that I would have moved up also. I stated that anything is possible. I stated that it would only be after the manager would assume that position and I would assume the manager's position. The previous driver was fair because his question was very simple and to the point. How old are you? Are you able to do manual work? Overall, it was a good experience and an opportunity for me to sharpen my personal skills and interview techniques. However, the second interview was quite different in all aspects. This was without any question, the best interview that I have ever been through. The manager was honest, clear, straight to the point of wanting to know about me the person, my goals, skills, and how can I add value to the current company's operations. I was very pleased and shocked at the same time. Because of his next statement after I responded, I can read your resume up and down and back and forth, but I want to have a discussion with the person that I am interviewing. The manager discussed the background of the company, its goals and missions, and how my background and skills could potentially add to what's currently in place. We also discussed the opportunities that will be offered if hired by the company. I felt very fortunate because as the manager stated, a resume can be purchased, copied, and fabricated and not that this was the case. But, the manager wanted to know the person behind the resume. The manager gave me a tour of the shop, allowed me to meet the staff, and introduced me to the other driver whom i would work with if hired. The staff was a reflection of the manager and it was a breath of fresh air. As the manager in my mind was a reflection of the district manager and so forth. I liked this location so much that I came back the following day before I was hired to observe the operations of the driver. I was not allowed to work but only to have a discussion and observe from a distance. I have finally found a home, a place that I plan on building my career onto my retirement. Phew!! LOL.   View Answer
    I did not have to negotiate anything. For potential applicants, it was be advantageous to know the mission of the company and several products that this company produces or provides as a service to its vendors. Have some questions that you would like to ask as well. I was taught to always have questions because it shows that you are also interested in the company but more so you are also interviewing the manager or representative to determine if this is a good fit for your career as well.

Operations Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Airgas.

Phone screen then face to face interview with two people. They seemed to talk about themselves most of the time. Asked about my employment history and skills then basically talked for 30mins about what problems they had in their jobs.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. Only trying to sell myself but felt like i couldn't get a word in because they talked about themselves the whole time.   Answer Question

Plant Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Airgas.

I was recruited by their national program to set up a phone interview. We talked over the job responsibilities, career progression opportunities, and how I would fit into the position. The second interview was with the area VP of operations, President of the region, and program leader. We discussed management style, operational and safety importance.

Interview Questions
    • Many of our employees have been working here for 15+ years, how would you deal with push-back when in a management position?   View Answer
    Quick, usually several geographical options.