Akamai

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Administrator Interview

Network Administrator
Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Akamai in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter about an open Network Admin position at the Reston, VA location. I submitted my resume, made it through the phone interview, and was invited in for in-person/video interviews with local VA staff, and Cambridge, MA staff. The interviews seemed to go well; I answered all their questions successfully. The interviews concluded with them saying they'd follow up in a few days. I never heard anything back at all. No "Sorry, we're not interested" or anything. Very unprofessional. I called my recruiter back, but they had no information after the point that they put me in direct contact with Akamai. I didn't have any direct email addresses for the people who interviewed me, but a quick browse of the website showed me the general email address format, so I took a guess and sent "thank you" emails to everyone I interviewed with. None of the emails bounced back to me, so they were delivered somewhere. However, I never heard anything from anyone.

I was very disappointed. In addition to being well qualified for the position, Akamai has a reputation of being a great place to work. Unfortunately, their interviewing/hiring practices leave something to be desired. At least in the VA office.

Interview Question – Nothing really. Just run of the mill IT questions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Senior Solutions Architect
Reston, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Akamai in April 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was contacted by Akamai's internal recruiter who did a basic check of my background to see if it fit the job description. I was contacted then a week later for an additional phone interview by a Service Line Manager, and again the following week by another Service Line Manager from the west coast.

At that point, I was asked to come on site for an in-person interview. This interview was about 5 hours, and was with about 6 different people. This ranged from meeting with who would later become my direct report supervisor, a Senior Sales Manager, a Practice Manger, two other senior solutions engineers, and an account executive that would be paired with whomever was selected for the role.

This interview helped give me a great insight into the culture of the company and helped me realize how many smart people there actually were at all levels of the organization. The number of people who had been there for 7+ years was a great indication that people were happy with the company and not just there for a few years before moving onto the next "big thing".

At the end of the week, I was contacted again by my future supervisor who had a few additional questions for me. At the end of the conversation, the supervisor indicated he was interested in moving forward with me and began salary discussions. After asking my requirements, he said they would make an offer that he did not want to go through multiple rounds of negotiation and that he felt I would be happy with.

Later that day, I was contacted by HR who gave me verbal details of the offer and indicated he would overnight the official offer letter the next business day. The offer exceeded my original requirements and then some.

Interview Question – Describe how DNS works. What would the flow look like from a user's request to final destination.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not any real negotiation. After asking my requirements, they actually exceeded the requirement. The company indicated they wanted to move quickly and made an offer to end discussions I was having with other companies at the same time.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!

Akamai – Why Work for Us?

At Akamai, "Faster Forward" is how we approach everything we do, every challenge we undertake, each problem we tackle. Most of all, it's how we approach our careers, and our culture. Founded in the lecture halls and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Akamai interview questions and advice in Reston, VA. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Akamai employees and interview candidates.