Akamai Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted first, then phone interview with hiring manager (team leader). Got in-person interview and met 4 persons in 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Asked about HTTP, DNS, HTML, caching. Project management experience, size, scope, difficulties.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The process was OK. The recruiter approached me because of my past CDN experience and expertise. The phone interview with the recruiter went well; The interview with the hiring manager was very weird. Basically he didn't leave me to talk, mentioning that I was too qualified / senior for that role... It was one of the weirdest interview of my life. Also, after that experience I realised that some companies might talk to each other about candidates, eg., via LinkedIn. When Akamai decided to don't follow up with me, also Ooyala stopped to interview me with a silly excuse - even tho that position is still open. It happened other two times to me and a couple of friend of mine have the same feeling.

Interview Questions

• None. It a bit difficult to deal with a silly hiring manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

This is the second time that I have gone through the interview process with Akamai. They are known for the process being long. The first time I was offered a position at another company before I finished the interview process. This time they asked more technical questions and the details on the actual job seems like it is more of a Technical Production Manager role than Project Manager. By the information provided beyond the job description Akamai's version of a project management role focuses more on interfacing with the technology and leading repetitive short projects rather than focusing on people, schedule, and process in development.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer questions on TCI/IP, HTTP protocols, ports, and server responses in the first round.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I had one phone screen followed by onsite interviews. The phone screen lasted only 20 minutes and the questions were relatively easy. I had the impression that the interviewer was not really paying attention. I was surprised when they called me for the onsite interview in San Mateo, CA. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and two other program managers based in Cambridge MA via video conference. The question were all situational related to program and project management. The second half was with a development manager and the configuration manager based in San Mateo. The development manager was interested mostly in how I would implement Agile within the development teams that are attached to waterfall. The interview with the Configuration Manager was terrible. He was not the right person to interview a Program Manager. He made inappropriate comments like 'why do you program manager get paid so much?' He had little idea what the position was about. It seemed like the team in Cambridge was keen to hire a Program Manager in San Mateo. However the team in San Mateo was reluctant to have someone forced on them. And I felt like I wasted my time with them.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflicting priorities?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

3 interviews - phone screen with HR, In person meeting with manager, peers and technical interviews (lasted several hours), follow up phone interview with manager. straight forward interview process. most of the interview they are looking for role experience, technical competency and related culture fit.

Interview Questions

• How does the internet work?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews with recruiters. One phone interview with an (arrogant) hiring manager. No courtesy or notification of acceptance or rejection after the interview, very rude. After no news for 2 weeks, these jokers sent me an email to complete an EEO application! Akamai sucks!

Interview Questions

• What is your management style? How do you work with difficult people?   1 Answer

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

1. the recruiter reached out to me after applying on Akamai's website and had a brief chat regarding salary requirements, position details..etc. then he mentioned that he would set up two phone calls - one with the hiring manager and another technical interview with another senior solutions architect. 2. the two calls with the hiring manager and senior architect went pretty well. hiring manager was interested more in my attitude and was focussing on the basics (some of which were rusty) - HTTP caching headers, HTTP responses..etc, what is the difference between a codec and container. and some questions outside of work - what 2 numbers add upto 10? Very casual and it went well. Second call with the sr architect went well too - Can you please describe the TCP session setup? and TCP congestion avoidance algorithms. After this i was invited onsite at San Mateo for more interviews 3. Onsite @ San Mateo - had 6 45 min interviews including one more with the hiring manager, an account manager for which you might be potentially working with, 2 senior architects and another practice manager. over all went very well, interviews were focussing more on the attitude. the senior architects were more interested on the technical side - DNS flows, does the DNS need to be an authoritative if you are using a CDN..etc, what are some of Akamai's offerings in the DNS space and some fundamentals of how they work 4. After the onsite interview, i had one more phone interview with the director of the services organization - he wanted to find out more about the different trends in video streaming - hwat problems is MPEG DASH trying to solve ? What is HTML 5? and also outside or work - what are your hobbies? IMO all interviews went pretty well and it was a good experience All the people i talked to were pretty great and knowledgeable in their respective fields. I feel 45 min per interview is not much time to show case all your skills and what you can bring to the table. I did not notice the time running out on almost all interview slots. But a great place to work for.

Interview Questions

• Some q's on fundamentals since it was a long time since i touched them - SSL/Certificate authentication call flow   Answer Question

Unfortunately i had to decline since i was offered another position within my organization which better aligned with my long term goals

Evangelist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Hiring Process was three rounds. First round : Tech Grilling round to asseses competency Second Round: Tech To assess fit and capability Final Round: HR Salary Negotiation and Basic round

Interview Questions

Salary not in line with expeactations

Senior Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

1. First Phone Screen by the Hiring Manager 2. Second Phone Screen by his Peer 3. On site Interview with 6 people over 5 hours

Interview Questions

• Explain the entire TCP handshake Most of the questions have to do with the basic working of the internet and browsers..   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty Quick and comfortable - they matched what I asked for. Also, the bonus figures that they gave also panned out.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend at the company. I went through an initial phone screen with a recruiter, then I did a technical phone screen with the hiring manager, then I did an in-person with the hiring manager and finally I did a series of 5 interviews that ranged from technical to soft skills with a variety of employees at the company.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any particularly difficult questions, though a strong background in TCP, DNS and HTTP are extremely helpful. I was applying for a job that requires both a good technical foundation but, also, requires good soft skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate very much, I typically don't. I take the approach of laying out my expectations at the beginning of the interview process of what I'm looking for in terms of compensation, benefits, time-off and then only negotiate if the offer doesn't match what I laid out in the beginning.