Akamai

2.9

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Akamai.

Recruiter contacted first, then phone interview with hiring manager (team leader). Got in-person interview and met 4 persons in 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about HTTP, DNS, HTML, caching. Project management experience, size, scope, difficulties.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in July 2013.

I had one phone screen followed by onsite interviews. The phone screen lasted only 20 minutes and the questions were relatively easy. I had the impression that the interviewer was not really paying attention. I was surprised when they called me for the onsite interview in San Mateo, CA. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and two other program managers based in Cambridge MA via video conference. The question were all situational related to program and project management. The second half was with a development manager and the configuration manager based in San Mateo. The development manager was interested mostly in how I would implement Agile within the development teams that are attached to waterfall. The interview with the Configuration Manager was terrible. He was not the right person to interview a Program Manager. He made inappropriate comments like 'why do you program manager get paid so much?' He had little idea what the position was about. It seemed like the team in Cambridge was keen to hire a Program Manager in San Mateo. However the team in San Mateo was reluctant to have someone forced on them. And I felt like I wasted my time with them.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with conflicting priorities?   View Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Akamai in April 2013.

3 interviews - phone screen with HR, In person meeting with manager, peers and technical interviews (lasted several hours), follow up phone interview with manager. straight forward interview process. most of the interview they are looking for role experience, technical competency and related culture fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in March 2013.

Two phone interviews with recruiters. One phone interview with an (arrogant) hiring manager. No courtesy or notification of acceptance or rejection after the interview, very rude.
    After no news for 2 weeks, these jokers sent me an email to complete an EEO application!
    Akamai sucks!

Interview Questions
    • What is your management style? How do you work with difficult people?   View Answer

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in October 2012.

1. the recruiter reached out to me after applying on Akamai's website and had a brief chat regarding salary requirements, position details..etc. then he mentioned that he would set up two phone calls - one with the hiring manager and another technical interview with another senior solutions architect.
    2. the two calls with the hiring manager and senior architect went pretty well. hiring manager was interested more in my attitude and was focussing on the basics (some of which were rusty) - HTTP caching headers, HTTP responses..etc, what is the difference between a codec and container. and some questions outside of work - what 2 numbers add upto 10? Very casual and it went well. Second call with the sr architect went well too - Can you please describe the TCP session setup? and TCP congestion avoidance algorithms. After this i was invited onsite at San Mateo for more interviews
    3. Onsite @ San Mateo - had 6 45 min interviews including one more with the hiring manager, an account manager for which you might be potentially working with, 2 senior architects and another practice manager. over all went very well, interviews were focussing more on the attitude. the senior architects were more interested on the technical side - DNS flows, does the DNS need to be an authoritative if you are using a CDN..etc, what are some of Akamai's offerings in the DNS space and some fundamentals of how they work
    4. After the onsite interview, i had one more phone interview with the director of the services organization - he wanted to find out more about the different trends in video streaming - hwat problems is MPEG DASH trying to solve ? What is HTML 5? and also outside or work - what are your hobbies?

IMO all interviews went pretty well and it was a good experience All the people i talked to were pretty great and knowledgeable in their respective fields. I feel 45 min per interview is not much time to show case all your skills and what you can bring to the table. I did not notice the time running out on almost all interview slots. But a great place to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Some q's on fundamentals since it was a long time since i touched them - SSL/Certificate authentication call flow   Answer Question

Unfortunately i had to decline since i was offered another position within my organization which better aligned with my long term goals

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Akamai.

I was referred by a friend at the company. I went through an initial phone screen with a recruiter, then I did a technical phone screen with the hiring manager, then I did an in-person with the hiring manager and finally I did a series of 5 interviews that ranged from technical to soft skills with a variety of employees at the company.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult questions, though a strong background in TCP, DNS and HTTP are extremely helpful. I was applying for a job that requires both a good technical foundation but, also, requires good soft skills.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate very much, I typically don't. I take the approach of laying out my expectations at the beginning of the interview process of what I'm looking for in terms of compensation, benefits, time-off and then only negotiate if the offer doesn't match what I laid out in the beginning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Akamai in January 2012.

Applied online. Got a call for phone screen after about a month. Phone screen consisted of questions on multi-threaded systems; deadlocks; live-locks; object-oriented programming (define polymorphism).

Got a call for onsite a week later. Onsite consisted of four rounds each technical ranging from coding in general; C++ programming (implement ++ operator for integer array) and data structures (implement LRU cache) and general design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Akamai in August 2011.

Had one phone interview and then 6-8 1x1 interviews. Technically the questions they asked were mediocre except one interviewer who stood out. Here are some of them I recollect - TCP/IP congestion control and handshake, duplicate a string, how would a c++ compiler behave in a certain scenario, code fibonacci, code if number is prime, how does a shell work.

Besides it was a little difficult communicating with the recruiter who'd go in circles and wouldn't give out a complete picture about the package.

Offer was not competitive in terms of compensation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in October 2010.

I was contacted by an Akamai recruiter who found my resume on one of the popular sites. After some chatting with the recruiter I was scheduled for and passed the phone screen. A four hour in-person was scheduled for the following week (4 engineers X ~1 hour each) which went well and consisted of the common questions about data structures, algorithms, design, white board, and personal questions. Four days later I had my second on-site in the same 4 hour format, except this time it was the senior dogs. Here's where things went wrong, while I had great experience with engineers and the recruiter, the top people did not know the answers to their own questions!
    One guy asked me to implement a factorial function and once I first talked through my algorithm he told me it was wrong. After a short discussion it turned he actually had Fibonacci numbers in mind. So you don't know the difference between the two? It happens I guess. Then he took my solution looked at it and apparently it differed from what he memorized online, so he said he will verify it later and walked out without even going it over with me.
    Here where it gets really good. The DIRECTOR of engineering asked me a Perl question where the use of "split" was required. As I started writing my solution he rejected it on the basis that the outcome of one function call was wrong. I began to argue with him (respectfully) that I was right, to no avail. After 5 minutes he actually had me convinced that I indeed did not do it right which completely threw me off. Today I decided to double check using Perl reference guide and what do you know, I was right about it all along!

While I think I would have enjoyed working with the bright engineers at Akamai I am sure glad that I will not work under superiors that lack basic CS knowledge and cannot solve their own questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Akamai in October 2010.

1. half hour phone interview for experience and some c++ questions.
    2. In person interview - 5 people ask questions - c++, algorithms