Akamai

Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.7

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai.

Was contacted by a recruiter. First phone interview where they asked Java core questions. Then phone interview with the hiring manager, he was pleasant and seemed to like my experience. In person interview was with 4 people. They asked technical and brain teasers. One guy put me on the spot several times. he didn't seem to like my answers even though they were reasonable.
Asked about stack implementation
Asked the light bulb question on 100 floors.

Then the response was they were looking for a principal engineer, Guys don't you read the resume???

Other Interview Reviews for Akamai

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Akamai in January 2014.

Hiring manager phone interview first. 4 hr technical interview. Two interviewers each round. Some through video conference. No lunch. Making offer decision quickly. Problem solving questions. Algorithm. Coding. Solution don't have to be perfect. But thorough analysis and design.

Interview Questions
    • Read printout code with bugs or inefficient code. Find them and fix them   Answer Question
    Yes, depending on how much they want you.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Akamai.

Horrible and frustrating experience. Boasted hiring innovative personnel but really wanted to hire those they can control and who will follow the company's rules. Met with MIT alumni and other similarly "educated" personnel who touted their academics. Not a company and environment I felt that I can work happily and be creative.

Interview Questions
    • No behavioral or best fit questioning. Requirements of detailed explanations of algorithms that are taught and used only in graduate schools and not in the field. Having frequently been on the hiring side and having multiple academic degrees as well, I understand they are trying to weed out posers, but unfortunately, they weed out common sense, practicality and experienced professionals with familiarity in qualifying business products. Their methods only exposed that they were really looking for drones to fill their lines.   Answer Question

Not conducive to a happily balanced work environment

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Akamai in August 2013.

Contacted by recruiter. Phone interview was technical on C basics like pointer manipulations and a design question on string manipulation.
    Onsite was very technical interview on multi-threaded web-server design, coding, string manipulations. Explain the challenging projects...etc.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

first phone interview. Onsite interview with 5 different team of portal. Manly basic question like singleton pattern, HashTable, etc..

no negotiation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Akamai in March 2013.

One telephonic interview and 4 during onsite interview...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in September 2011.

Recruiter called me up in 24 hours. He again interviewed technically for about 45 minutes, on core java. I was asked to come on site and had 4 rounds of interviews. I was again asked to come onsite at a different date and that was just 2 rounds.

Questions weren't that difficult. Major portion were on java/j2ee and design concepts.

Interview Questions
    Recruiter was tough to negotiate. Accepted what I was offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in October 2010.

I was contacted by an Akamai recruiter who found my resume on one of the popular sites. After some chatting with the recruiter I was scheduled for and passed the phone screen. A four hour in-person was scheduled for the following week (4 engineers X ~1 hour each) which went well and consisted of the common questions about data structures, algorithms, design, white board, and personal questions. Four days later I had my second on-site in the same 4 hour format, except this time it was the senior dogs. Here's where things went wrong, while I had great experience with engineers and the recruiter, the top people did not know the answers to their own questions!
    One guy asked me to implement a factorial function and once I first talked through my algorithm he told me it was wrong. After a short discussion it turned he actually had Fibonacci numbers in mind. So you don't know the difference between the two? It happens I guess. Then he took my solution looked at it and apparently it differed from what he memorized online, so he said he will verify it later and walked out without even going it over with me.
    Here where it gets really good. The DIRECTOR of engineering asked me a Perl question where the use of "split" was required. As I started writing my solution he rejected it on the basis that the outcome of one function call was wrong. I began to argue with him (respectfully) that I was right, to no avail. After 5 minutes he actually had me convinced that I indeed did not do it right which completely threw me off. Today I decided to double check using Perl reference guide and what do you know, I was right about it all along!

While I think I would have enjoyed working with the bright engineers at Akamai I am sure glad that I will not work under superiors that lack basic CS knowledge and cannot solve their own questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Akamai in October 2010.

1. half hour phone interview for experience and some c++ questions.
    2. In person interview - 5 people ask questions - c++, algorithms

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Akamai in July 2014.

5-6 rounds which includes a managerial round as well. 4 min technical rounds. They test your basic on java . They focus on core java skill like collection, object overriding, hashing , problem solving.They mostly ask question on core java .My third round of interview was a FTF . A lean and tall guy has come and met me . Took me to a conference room and starting going through my profile . I strongly believe he has prepared few question on string and started asking them . First one reverse of a string and i told him a algorithm, he was asking for code . i said i will convert them to a array and do the logic . He said i want the logic how to convert to array . he was actually looking for me to use charat function.Intelligent guy but with lot of arrogance , i felt . I was one question on core java than

Interview Questions
    • reverse of a string. || method overriding.|| Given a string s1="ABCDEF"; S2 ="123456"; S3="12ABCD34E5F6" is valid string that is S3 should have all the all characters from both S1 and S2 . The order in which they appear in S3 should be the same order in the respectively string S1 and S2 ||.
      Rules to override a method in java sub-class.
      Java collection like hashmap,hashtree, linkedlist ..etc .
        Answer Question