Akamai

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Akamai in October 2012.

1. the recruiter reached out to me after applying on Akamai's website and had a brief chat regarding salary requirements, position details..etc. then he mentioned that he would set up two phone calls - one with the hiring manager and another technical interview with another senior solutions architect.
2. the two calls with the hiring manager and senior architect went pretty well. hiring manager was interested more in my attitude and was focussing on the basics (some of which were rusty) - HTTP caching headers, HTTP responses..etc, what is the difference between a codec and container. and some questions outside of work - what 2 numbers add upto 10? Very casual and it went well. Second call with the sr architect went well too - Can you please describe the TCP session setup? and TCP congestion avoidance algorithms. After this i was invited onsite at San Mateo for more interviews
3. Onsite @ San Mateo - had 6 45 min interviews including one more with the hiring manager, an account manager for which you might be potentially working with, 2 senior architects and another practice manager. over all went very well, interviews were focussing more on the attitude. the senior architects were more interested on the technical side - DNS flows, does the DNS need to be an authoritative if you are using a CDN..etc, what are some of Akamai's offerings in the DNS space and some fundamentals of how they work
4. After the onsite interview, i had one more phone interview with the director of the services organization - he wanted to find out more about the different trends in video streaming - hwat problems is MPEG DASH trying to solve ? What is HTML 5? and also outside or work - what are your hobbies?

IMO all interviews went pretty well and it was a good experience All the people i talked to were pretty great and knowledgeable in their respective fields. I feel 45 min per interview is not much time to show case all your skills and what you can bring to the table. I did not notice the time running out on almost all interview slots. But a great place to work for.

Interview Questions
  • Some q's on fundamentals since it was a long time since i touched them - SSL/Certificate authentication call flow   Answer Question

Unfortunately i had to decline since i was offered another position within my organization which better aligned with my long term goals

Other Interview Reviews for Akamai

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Akamai in April 2012.

After applying online, I was contacted by Akamai's internal recruiter who did a basic check of my background to see if it fit the job description. I was contacted then a week later for an additional phone interview by a Service Line Manager, and again the following week by another Service Line Manager from the west coast.

At that point, I was asked to come on site for an in-person interview. This interview was about 5 hours, and was with about 6 different people. This ranged from meeting with who would later become my direct report supervisor, a Senior Sales Manager, a Practice Manger, two other senior solutions engineers, and an account executive that would be paired with whomever was selected for the role.

This interview helped give me a great insight into the culture of the company and helped me realize how many smart people there actually were at all levels of the organization. The number of people who had been there for 7+ years was a great indication that people were happy with the company and not just there for a few years before moving onto the next "big thing".

At the end of the week, I was contacted again by my future supervisor who had a few additional questions for me. At the end of the conversation, the supervisor indicated he was interested in moving forward with me and began salary discussions. After asking my requirements, he said they would make an offer that he did not want to go through multiple rounds of negotiation and that he felt I would be happy with.

Later that day, I was contacted by HR who gave me verbal details of the offer and indicated he would overnight the official offer letter the next business day. The offer exceeded my original requirements and then some.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how DNS works. What would the flow look like from a user's request to final destination.   Answer Question
    There was not any real negotiation. After asking my requirements, they actually exceeded the requirement. The company indicated they wanted to move quickly and made an offer to end discussions I was having with other companies at the same time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Akamai in June 2010.

I had a first interview with HR which was pretty straightforward followed by another interview with a Sr Solutions Architect. I may have been somewhat rusty from not having interviewed anywhere in a while but I found him difficult to read. He will ask a question and then allow me to finish speaking and then say "okay" and move on to the next question. There was no follow-up. Maybe being a phone interview its a bit difficult to get a conversation going but it just didn't seem to go well. Also, I was quite thrown for a loop by questions like "What is the internet". In the end it turned out not to be a good fit for me or for the company so if you're going to interview for this position, know that you need to have a sales-person type of personality because that is what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • How will you explain to someone who is not tech savvy, what Akamai does?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Akamai.

Interviews were done in an organized manner but the offer rollout took 2 months to be completed. There was no communication from the HR and you had to follow up to see what the status is.
    There were too many rounds which looked inconsequential as well like a english verbal and written test and a logical round. The main round is the whiteboard round where a presentation needs to be done on a topic. That's the deal maker or the breaker.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed about HTTP protocol, TCP, OSI model, how typical websites work, how cookies work, what are the headers that are used, etc.   Answer Question
    I didnt, not sure if there is any scope or not - may depend on the team's scenario and the urgency of filling the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Akamai in June 2014.

Interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews and even third interviews with manager and called for the presentation round on HTTP and HTTPs where you will experience the technical challenges.