Akamai

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Akamai in March 2013.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews with recruiters. One phone interview with an (arrogant) hiring manager. No courtesy or notification of acceptance or rejection after the interview, very rude.
After no news for 2 weeks, these jokers sent me an email to complete an EEO application!
Akamai sucks!

Interview Question – What is your management style? How do you work with difficult people?   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Akamai in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was smooth. The hiring division people are cheaters.
The HR manager negotiated a salary with me but changed the salary again after 10 days.
On top of that they still dint reimberse the interview expenses.
Trust me, may be the engineering division is pretty decent. But the HR people are very bad
Its waste of time to even apply.

Interview Question – All the questions were staright forward   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better offer and they are not cheaters

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Akamai.

Interview Details – Very smooth interview process. Had multiple phone screens and then one on-site. Mostly core java concepts. They need you to understand java inside out.

Interview Question – Java core concepts, and internal functioning.   Answer Question

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Akamai in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call for phone screen after about a month. Phone screen consisted of questions on multi-threaded systems; deadlocks; live-locks; object-oriented programming (define polymorphism).

Got a call for onsite a week later. Onsite consisted of four rounds each technical ranging from coding in general; C++ programming (implement ++ operator for integer array) and data structures (implement LRU cache) and general design.

Interview Question – data structure for LRU cache   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Akamai in August 2011.

Interview Details – Had one phone interview and then 6-8 1x1 interviews. Technically the questions they asked were mediocre except one interviewer who stood out. Here are some of them I recollect - TCP/IP congestion control and handshake, duplicate a string, how would a c++ compiler behave in a certain scenario, code fibonacci, code if number is prime, how does a shell work.

Besides it was a little difficult communicating with the recruiter who'd go in circles and wouldn't give out a complete picture about the package.

Reason for Declining – Offer was not competitive in terms of compensation.

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Akamai in August 2010.

Interview Details – They are really good with their recruiting process. It involves a phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview with someone on the team you are trying to join. If they like you and think you know what you're talking about, they will then follow up with a long interview process (3-4 hours, involving about an hour with a couple of the other team members)

I felt confident in my knowledge area. I believe this helped me in providing a good interview.

Interview Question – Describe a previous project. Feel free to use the white board to outline your project.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Akamai in August 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screening was quite general, the interviewer asked me about general datastructure related problem solving questions. Those questions are quite easy, at the end of the call the interviewer mentioned that I will get a call for on-site interview. The onsite interview is scheduled on the next week.

one interviewer asked me couple of problem solving questions which are again simple ones to tackle. This interviewer was tapping his iPhone whenever my response to the questions has started/ended. Not sure whether he is checking mails or recording my responses(which made me feel very uncomfortable). Another interviewer mentioned that the position requires strong knowledge in OS internals(kernal threads etc.. the job description says OS fundamentals). Another interviewer came in, and asked me to explain my previous projects. she did not ask me any technical questions at all. During the second interviewer itself I decided that this is not the kind of job I wanted. I was asked to brush very basics of networking concepts during the phone screening and here I am asked OS internals, kernal programming etc.

Overall Akamai's work is good and very impressive. But their interview process is not very professional compared to Microsoft, Google, Yahoo and Amazon interview experience. I felt I wasted a week of my good time in preparing for the on-site interview, whcih I could have used to apply for other better opportunities. If you are not into Netoworking and OS internals (and you must posses through knowledge in those areas during the time of interview) this is not the right company for you.

Interview Questions

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Akamai in July 2014.

Interview Details – First there was an aptitude round which had aptitude as well as technical questions.There were four subjective questions as well.One ques was on displaying a pattern similar to a diamond.Another was on trees,finding if two trees are similar.One question on ER diagram in Database Management Systems.One question on sorting the words of a string.Then there was technical round where they asked questions mainly on Computer Networks mainly OSI model, TCP/IP, different protocols,etc.It was followed by an HR round which was fairly basic.

Interview Question – Technical questions in the 1st round were pretty difficult as it covered a wide range of subjects like microprocessors,ld,dbms,os,ds,ada,java,automata,etc.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Akamai in January 2013.

Interview Details – First round was telephonic technical round , lasted about 45 mins, discussion on basics.
2nd round was technical f2f, it was in more depth obout the topic, followed by magerial round , then by hr round, then again one techno functional round, after wards one more technical round, then finally one puzzle round.
Finally process was over.

Interview Question – some were very common sense type of questions but tricky same time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was very smooth

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Akamai.

Interview Details – Had three rounds of technical interview and one HR round.
Technical rounds covered the basics of OS and networks.They asked my area of interest and then quizzed me on that more in each of the rounds.
HR round was about my projects mostly and few questions on my personal interest etc.

Interview Question – None.All the questions covered only the basic concepts.   Answer Question

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!