Aker Solutions

Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.1

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Aker Solutions.

The interview process went smoothly. I was contacted by HR to schedule an interview with the Manager onsite. He had a scripted interview question packet. It was very formal. He asked about past work experience and I had to give some examples to show how those experiences related to quality.

Interview Questions
    They did not negotiate on anything. The only thing I did not like about the process.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aker Solutions.

The interview process was fairly straightforward. This occurred several years ago and the process has changed. Back then, it was a matter of asking about your previous work experiences. Now, the questions are more behavioral based. The questions are a bit more though-provoking if you are interviewing for a managerial position.

Interview Questions
    • You will most likely be asked about any difficult work situation that you've encountered and how you handled it. The answer you provide is really to see how you handle less than ideal situations, since you will probably encounter a few challenges along the way. The answer will be tough if you've never really had any challenges or difficult situations at your previous job, or any others in the past. Some managers (like me) will ask questions that try to delve into the interviewee's personality. Experience can come along with the role, but sometimes I really want a true team player who can learn and grow.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Aker Solutions in June 2010.

The company has a very robust system for hiring know as RMS and helps all the hiring Managers define the requirments for the new positions, keep track of interviews, organize the resumes of the candidates, make recommendations to hire or not. The interview is planned with 2 different managers and they explore the technical and soft skills during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding why left the previous company is always difficult and requires measure carefully what we are saying.   View Answer
    Very simple and fast.

Senior Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Aker Solutions.

2 interviews - 1st Technical , 2nd HR. Technical round would be limited to your experience and its relevance to the applied position. HR would focus on gauging your beavioural assets to Aker's values with special focus on hands-on management, multi-cultural sensitivity and transparency.

Placement Student Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Aker Solutions.

For an Engineering position

First interview involved a 5 minute presentation about myself. Timing is strict so make sure you don't go over the 5 minute mark. From previous interview experience I structured it like this:
    Brief introduction of myself and current academic position, my passion/interests that fueled the pursuit of my course choice and the job discipline.
    -Brief outline of achievements and competency skills gained from employment.
    -1 group and 1 individual project example using STAR approach, and a sentence at the end on what I could have done better if I had repeated these projects.
    -Extra-curricular experience and activities/hobbies, what you do in your spare time, during summer, do you read any newsletters, unrelated interests such as music, languages etc.
    Continuously relate each point to how it can benefit you in the job either competently or technically. (read what they would require you to do in the job description and relate it)

Second interview was informal, about an hour, competency based, which involved a more in-depth talk about some group projects at University. Provide some handouts if you can of a project that you did and harp on about what you enjoyed most and least, and what you could have done to improve. Time management is good to mention.

Research into the company, what things are going on project wise, organisation wise, industry prospects. Learn a bit about the system architecture.

Interview Questions
    • If there are technical questions it can sometimes be pressure-related physics questions. Know your units and basic formulas.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Was interviewed as a trainee. They made me felt comfortable even when I answered wrongly.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aker Solutions.

Basic questions about personal experience in the past.
    Specific questions about sofewares known to use.
    Some tech problem questions ask how to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Some tech problem questions ask how to solve.
      What happen if a wrong version of spec being worked on?

Answer Question

Pipe Stress Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Aker Solutions in October 2013.

Telephonic/Skype interview , mainly on technical points related to pipe stress, FPSO , fixed Platform , Pipe Design Philosphy , Good knowledge of Caesar II Process Piping Code B31.3 Latest version and similar codes and standards need to have

Interview Questions
    • Good Idea of Previous project , specially of offshre Pipeing   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Klang (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Klang (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Aker Solutions.

total of 2 interviews with the Lead and Manager. CV will be screen through by HR before submitting this to the department head for interview arrangement. Min requirement is Degree.

Electrical Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Aker Solutions in August 2013.

Two hour job interview on site with a technical manager, and an HR assistant then a walk around of the workshop.

First of all, the interview started 20 minutes late due to Aker.

For the first hour and a half the manager went over the role and asked limited complexity technical questions about my background, then the HR guy - who looked uninterested throughout - asked some behavioural questions.

On completion of interview there was no "next step" or timeline on the decision. Instead the HR guy just slipped off without a word leaving me with the manager to show me around. That was the last time I heard from Aker - they didn't even have the courtesy or the integrity to notify me as to their decision - despite having my email address - which is rather dispiriting since I drove 8 hours that day to attend the interview ( I have since heard from others, Aker ONLY respond if the job is offered). It should also be pointed out that the actual job function was misrepresented and didn't bear much relation to job specification sent out - it was a much lower level position than what I was led to believe .

Overall, I found the process disappointing and dispiriting and do not recommend this company to others thinking of applying. Neither interviewers displayed professional outlook - the HR guy obviously bored and the manager didn't give the impression he knew his remit or organised enough to take the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you had to solve a difficult problem ?   View Answer