Akira Chicago Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
11 interviews

2.7

IT Support Tech Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Akira Chicago in April 2014.

HR called 3 weeks after applying - to schedule an interview at HQ. It was a warehouse environment. Warehouse staff was friendly and helpful. However, the IT hiring manager was rude, indecisive, unorganized, and unprofessional. He asked inappropriate questions that had nothing to do with the job. Other questions were straightforward. He said he will email back in a week but never did.

Four months later, for whatever reason (his first choice quit or they decided not to fill the position) he emailed me to see if I was still interested and to come in to discuss it. I still thought it would be cool to work for Akira so I accepted but it turned out to be the same scenario. Told me he will email me back I in a week to schedule a meeting with his “manager” but never did. I followed-up through email and he ignored it completely.

When I interviewed both times, the job was for a full-time position; now they are advertising for a part-time position. Akira seems to be very indecisive company and the IT hiring manager seems to get off on wasting people’s time.

Interview Questions
    • How old are you?
      Are you interviewing with other companies? Where?
        Answer Question

Stylist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Akira Chicago.

Nothing too difficult, they had a need and wanted to see if I could fill it. It wasn't a particularly strict interview process and it ended up being a great job.

Interview Questions
    Position had non-negotiable benefits as it was a minimum wage job.

Cashier/Tasker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Akira Chicago.

Basic questions, hired soon after

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Akira Chicago in February 2014.

This was one of the best/most engaging interviews I've ever had. Management was very welcoming and remembered little tid bits about me that I had mentioned on the phone with the manager when she had asked me to come in. ( I applied online via craigslist) My interviewer was very pleasant and the tone felt very friendly and conversational as opposed to overbearing and awkward. After getting to know one another came the fun part! He had given me three different types of people and events they would be attending and I was to choose an outfit for each. I had 20 minutes with the store to myself to pick and choose. When I was done I talked up and explained the reasoning behind the outfit. They asked me to come back in for a trial shift, so if all goes accordingly, I'm on my way to begin my fashion career at Akira! YAY

Interview Questions
    • None really, I had done plenty of research about the company and for questions I presumed would be asked. Make sure to know about fashion trends, be confident with who you are and know some details about what separates Akira from other retail fashion stores. They put you on the spot to pick out outfits, so again, confidence and product knowledge is key.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Akira Chicago in April 2013.

I was approached by a member of the staff and asked to interview at an open call. I went in and it was a group interview conducted by seemingly the only Hiring Rep the company has instead of by the general manager of the store. The interview was pretty standard.

A week later they had me come in for a second interview. This time it was with an assistant manager, who turned out to be the employee who asked me to interview in the first place, as well as a manager visiting from another store. This was a 1 on 1 interview with pretty standard "getting to know you" questions. I felt it strange that at this point I still hadn't had an interview with the general manager.

Another week passed and I got a call from the GM telling me I got the job but they were going to have me come in for a "trial shift". I asked what that entailed and she told me that I "basically have the job but its just to make sure we like you and you like us and there isn't any unforeseen problems." I felt that this was strange and I asked if she was going to train me and she said "we will train you a bit and then see how you do." Okay.

So I come in for my trial shift and the GM wasn't there yet so one of the cashiers who has worked there for over a year taught me how to cashier on their register. He seemed to be very lax about teaching me.
    He told me the GM would be in and if he had given me the right time, she was 20 minutes late. She didn't acknowledge me at all. The assistant manager did however say Hi to me but that was all she said my whole shift.

So I rang through all the transactions. We were slow so I tried to talk to the other staff and the managers but they ignored me pretty much my whole shift. The GM didn't say one word to me for about half my shift. When it was time for me to go, I said Bye and she said Bye but didn't ask me how the shift went or if I liked it or had any questions. I left and they never called me to set up anything after and at that point I didn't even bother calling them instead and they just mailed me my check in the mail.

Overall this was a pretty bad experience. Everyone seemed friendly but once I got to work, they all ignored my existance. I think if maybe they were more welcoming to new employees and had more organized training it would've been way better.

Interview Questions
    • They had me choose an item I liked and an item I didn't like and roleplay a scenario where I had to sell both.   Answer Question
    Nothing, they told me what position I got and what id be paid - which was minimum waste.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Akira Chicago in February 2013.

Got a call for an interview after sending in my resume to a craigslist ad. The manager that was scheduled to interview me was late(which seems to happen quite often with Akira.) I was asked a couple of questions about my previous experience and why I wanted to work there. It was all pretty straight forward but I knew I would not get the position because I am not a huge shoe lover.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pick out a pair of shoes that I loved and a pair of shoes that I hated. I was told to sell the shoes that I hated to my interviewer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Akira Chicago in August 2012.

It was a walk in interview they said to show your style. I walked in the interview prepared with a cover letter and resume and they were running around with there heads cut off. No one was prepared for the interview, and they were highly unorganized as if it was a last min idea. It wasn't they planned the open house for at least 3 weeks.

They didn't have a proper waiting area so they told me and the other candidate to look at the clothes. We waited for 35 mins. After that they took me and the other candidate in for the interview and the music was loud and customers were all around us. It was very uncomfortable. The interviewer inappropriately talked about how she was worried about her dog and how she brought him to work.

The young man that I was being interviewed with was trying to be a manager while I was trying to be a cashier. I feel that it was unjust to interview us at the same time because they probably needed managers more than cashiers. During the interview the woman only asked me 3 questions while most of her focus was on the young man. For me it was very rude and disrespectful. She then told me that she wanted to do a second interview with me made sure my contact information was correct then gave me a discount card.

She took the young man out to pick some clothes with her, I felt so blown off. 3 days later I was sent a email telling me that I wasn't right for the company even thought the women told me that I would have a second interview...

Webstore Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Akira Chicago in August 2011.

The interviewer was very disrespectful. I was interviewed for a position that I should not have been interviewed for, and some of the questions were over my head. I did write a one page essay upon returning home answering one of the questions, and received a harsh response back.

Anonymous Employee  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Akira Chicago in April 2011.

This is the worst company I have ever interviewed for. The first interview I had went good, the manager seemed interested, and told me she would call me. A few days later, I saw another post for the same job, but this time asking to apply with a cover letter and photo. I re sent everything to the HR person who emailed me back asking why I was a no show for my interview. I told her I showed up, she checked for me and said the manager who interviewed me was no longer there and was given another interview. The second interview went well, the manager said she liked me, and asked if I could come in for a test run for a few hours. I agreed, and when I walked in the first manger that interviewed me was there. I was confused, and she mentioned that she interviewed me before and I told her I was told the manager who originally interviewed me was gone. I was given basically no help before I was thrown on the sales floor and told to sell as much as possible. Every time I had a question everyone seemed annoyed. It was very frustrating and I felt very taken advantage of. 7 PM rolled around and I had already been there 7 hours working my ass off and basically stalking customers. Nobody wanted to buy anything. I was told by one manager I could take a break soon ( a break? im not even hired here!) and that I would be staying until close. What a joke. So she left, and a different manager told me I could go home and that they had a few more people to test out and they would call me. I haven't heard anything, and I realized the store doesn't even have my contact information. Even if I was offered a job, I would say no. This was not a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work at Akira?
      Are you competitive?
        Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Akira Chicago in March 2011.

I found the position for management at Akira on craigslist. I responded and it put me in contact with a recruiter. I was then in contact with the recruiter the day after I responded (Feb). The next week I had an interview (which was very last minute). When I arrived at the store the recruiter told me to go to, I was informed I was at the wrong location.

I was nowhere near where I was supposed to be. I then drove to a different location in which the manager briefly greeted me and I wandered around the store. My first interview took WAY too long (3 hours) in which I was sitting around in the store waiting to be interviewed by the manager and assistant who took turns because they seemed way too preoccupied to be dealing with me. Their questions were awkward and too personal for my liking. (i.e. what is one thing you regret? what is one secret you haven't told anyone?)

They then sent me to a different location (after 3 hours) to meet with one of the owners. I sat in a warehouse waiting to speak with him and after 30 minutes he brought me into his office where four other people were working. Asked me the same questions as the prior two interviewers and gave me an address and a phone number on a post-it, saying he wanted me to meet ANOTHER manager.

I drove to yet ANOTHER location, where the manager was not there so I called the number on the post-it. The manager had to head in from home, I stood around waiting longer. I then sat down with this manager and she asked me a bunch of the same questions. I went home feeling frustrated and confused.

I followed up with the recruiter the next day. She said everyone was interested in me. We communicated for the next couple of weeks via email and phone. She set up another interview for me with yet another manager. I went to that interview and it went smoother than the prior, what was it four at this point. I left feeling more confident than ever.

Again I followed up with the recruiter and heard nothing back for about a week. She then called me and told me I was on the cusp of being ready/not being ready to be an assistant manager. They could offer me a lead stylist position on the fast track into management. I told her I was interested (since I was still looking to work for the company at this point). I didn't hear back for another week from anyone.

I received a call from the original manager I interviewed with telling me to come in the next day to fill out the paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • How will you succeed in a commissioned environment?   Answer Question
    • How long of a time frame do you think is appropriate for a stylist to improve their sales or be fired?   Answer Question

I went in to fill out the paperwork and no one in the store seemed happy to have me there. The manager told me to come back the next day for brand training. Upon coming back, no one knew who I was, asked where I worked. When I told them I was to be working there, I got a "Oh really?" Not a welcoming feeling, or more-so feeling like a no one. The training was awful, the atmosphere was nothing like I wanted to be apart of, and made me itching to get out of there. I called the manager the next day and told her I could not work there. She said it was too bad because she was hoping to have me help her manage (yeah right, she had an assistant AND manager-in-training...). I was not respected as a candidate for the ability I had (and at a rate of $4/hr + 4% commission). I was also told I would only succeed by bringing in my own clients, I did not know anyone in the area, making that impossible.

Worked for Akira Chicago? Contribute to the Community!