Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Alabama State UniversityMore
- Accepted OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alabama State University (El Dorado, KS) in July 2014.
I applied via the electronic job board HR application. I 4-6 week later I was called to see if I was still interested and available. A conference call was scheduled for two days later. The telephone interview lasted about 45 minutes. It concluded by stating there would be a follow-up from the Chair or Dean in a day or two. That call never came, so I called back, had a 'follow-up' interview that ended with the Chair stating they were "very interested" in me and she or the Dean would call me after consulting with one another. That call never came, so about two weeks later I followed up again and was offered the job. I was told there'd be a contract emailed that week. It never arrived. I called and inquired and was told things were hung up in the salary revision and to be please patient. Two weeks later, still no update, so I called again to verify that this was a legit and serious offer. I was told "absolutely" and was asked what date I could be there to start. We set a schedule and I waited for the contract. No contract by travel date so I asked again (shouldn't I have known better by now???) and was told to "come on" and we'd finish up details upon arrival. So I relocate, arrive for work on the appointed morning and no one is there. I finally find a secretary in an adjacent department who kindly calls the Chair on my behalf. I speak to the Chair who expresses her surprise that I've made the journey without a contract. I explained that she and I had agreed to a start date and I remind her that she said we'd finish up details upon my arrival to which she responds "yes, but things haven't been approved yet..." She says she'll get right on it since I'm here and I'm to wait for her call by end of day. That call doesn't come. I call her at lunch the next day and it's still a "I'm working on it, please be patient." This goes on for a week. At the end of the week I explain that I'm about to return home and move forward with my employment search. She apologises and makes excuses and asks me to remain open to their offer which WILL get approved. I return home, apply elsewhere and wait. One month later the Dean calls and asks if I'm willing to make the move (again) and accept their offer. I procrastinate but not having another tangible offer I accept (again) and add certain reimbursement caveats and the 'warning' that if another offer comes along I may take it instead. She agrees and assures me she will get the contract processed promptly. At least two weeks pass before I hear from them again with excuses for the delay. Two more weeks pass when they are finally ready to send a contract. It arrives with the wrong salary, so we then discuss that...and back it goes. Two weeks later the corrected salary/contract is ready. I sign and return it, and wait two more weeks for the travel allowance and reimbursement that had been "overlooked". Finally, about three months after the initial 45-minute telephone interview things are in place and I make the journey a second time - this time with more success. Why did I allow myself to go through all of this and still accept employment from this company? Simply because I needed a job and nothing else was panning out.
- How do I deal with the stress of students not completing their costume build projects in time for dress rehearsal? 1 Answer
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Alabama State University.
There was an initial interview done by skype. It lasted about 2 hours. There were four people as a part of the official search committee not including the Dean of the Library. Then there was another small one by telephone. Everyone was very helpful.
- The questions were fair and specific to the position. Answer Question
I had just received a raise at my current job, so I shared that information with them to allow them to make a fair offer. I was also moving to another state to work for them so we also looked at the cost of living.