Alamo Drafthouse Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

1.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Alamo Drafthouse

Runner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse.

Interview

The interview consisted of one question about myself then the rest of the interview was about my availability. She offered me a job on the spot. She said she'd email me an orientation packet, but two weeks later and I still haven't received an email. Another location for Alamo Drafthouse I interviewed for the same day, and it was once again, one question about my self proceeded by my hours of availability. Another job was offered to me on the spot. It seems as though they would hire anybody.

Kitchen Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Richardson, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I ended up applying for most of all the positions around the last week of March. About a week later, I got an email from the general manager about an interview with the hiring manager and I gladly accepted. The interview lasted about 20-25 minutes and the woman was incredibly nice and informative about the server position. The first question She asked me was to basically tell her about myself. So you'll have to sell yourself pretty good when that question is asked. I was a bit worried about getting the position as a server because of the tipping system and after the interview, she asked if I was I interested. I told her that I was and she told me that the general manager would get in touch with me whether he wanted to go further in my application. About two days later, the general manager emailed me and wanted to set up a meeting to meet me personally. I met with him the next week and within the first five minutes, he had taken me to the kitchen to show me around. Then told me he wanted to hire me. Participated in orientation and got a job within three weeks. I later found out that they hire people mainly based on their personality and how they present themselves. Everyone is so great and the environment is fast paced but worth every second and penny.

Any Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse.

Interview

It was pretty short, I think I could have gotten in and out of there in 5 minutes unless I had questions. When I left I wasn't really sure if i had the job or not. It was honestly the weirdest job interview I have ever had, it was not very thorough. It seems like they would hire just about anyone with a pulse

Interview Questions

• What position are you applying for? What is your Schedule?   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse.

Interview

I was called and asked to come to an interview the following day. I had the one-on-one interview the next day just in the front lobby area on a couch. He spent like 10-15 minutes talking about what the job was like, the benefits, how shifts work, etc. and then just said "so tell me about yourself now" or "tell me why we should hire you" or something like that and that was the only actual question. He left it really open ended so you have to sell yourself which made me a little nervous. So I said why I wanted to work there and talked about my work experience and how it would prepare me for this job and what kind of person I am, etc. He said he had a lot of other interviews to do still and they would email me if they wanted to hire me (which they didn't).

Interview Questions

• The only question was asking you to sell yourself and make the interviewer want to hire you.   Answer Question

Chef Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse.

Interview

talked to a manager for 5 min and got the job. i knew some people that already worked there so that helped. people there were very helpful if i had any questions.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Austin, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Typical service industry interview. Talked about past jobs, and responsibilities. Discussed a typical day in the bartender position, discussed compensation, and benefits. Tips would be to be yourself, talk about teamwork, and be open to working any shift to get thru training. Once training is complete it is easy to get a schedule for some work/life balance. Oh and thee weirder the better, they love people with personality.

Interview Questions

• Where have you worked before, what was your role? Are you available to work nights/weekends/holidays?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

everyone is very casual and upbeat. be honest and be yourself, the interviewers are looking for great personalities

Interview Questions

• what can you do to help improve the company   1 Answer

Negotiation

it is really an entry/new job for young people. take what is offered and improve thru your new developing work ethics

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Kansas City, MO) in December 2012.

Interview

I submitted an application online and received a phone call the very next day for an interview. The interview was held next to the arcade, where someone was playing pinball the entire time, which was very irritating and loud. It was a group interview. We were asked a question and then went around the circle and answered, it was very easy. Most of the questions were not very experience related, stuff like "What is your favorite movie" and "What do you do?" We were told we would get a call back within a week. Once a week passed and I had not received a call, I called them and was told that they had been so busy that they hadn't had time to call anyone, and that I was hired. Training was the next day, which was very short notice. Overall, it seemed very disorganized.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were hard at all, it was very casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. You get minimum wage plus tip share, which usually brings you up to $9 or $10 an hour.

Projectionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Katy, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

I emailed in my resume with a short message about what employment I was seeking. I got a call about 3 days later from the head there asking if I'd be willing to come in for an interview. I was still at college at the time and so had to wait until I got into town. Once back I went in and was given a tour of the location and was asked "so do you think you want to do this?" after I watched him start a movie and after my answer of "yes" that was about it for that "interview." I then had to interview with the GM of the location which was a more formal interview and at the end he made an offer which I accepted and had training that afternoon (apparently they needed someone badly).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alamo Drafthouse (Austin, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Very casual, didn't know I was being interviewed until I got the job. Standard service job interview. It was just me and the GM. We walked around the store and he showed me around. Got to see behind the scenes before I even signed the paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Where have you worked before?   1 Answer