Alarm.com Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.9

Technical Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alarm.com (Bloomington, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

This is after a short phone interview that they decided to bring me in a few weeks after.

Upon entering their floor of the Wells Fargo Plaza tower and a short tour of the floor, I was sent into a room with water and a nice view off the 24th floor. Everyone, including the three team members sent in the room were full of smiles. The questions for this position included scrutinizing my resume such as what I did at my previous and current jobs. They asked questions that gauged how well I can trouble shoot issues and what the steps were for that. They then asked me to explain what Alarm.com does as if I was "talking to a friend" and why you want to work for Alarm.com. They also asked for a joke. I had prepared for one in advance but they knew I prepared for it by how I delivered it...

After the questions, I was given an ipad of the web application and testdrove the software. With no knowledge, I had to figure out how to do key aspects of the application and write down instructions. After that came what I thought were logic puzzles... nope. I had to do a grammar and written portion. The written portion was titled X-factor and asked that you write something that no other applicant can... so I wrote java code.

All in all it was pretty positive, but I would rate it much more positively if I didn't feel as if I was pressured into the meeting room right away. I wanted to tour the main rooms more intimately.

I got a second interview for next week for them. Wish me luck.

Interview Questions

• As if you were explaining to a friend, explain what alarm.com does and tell them why you want to work for them.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

I submitted my resume in the career fair and got a campus interview the next day. The interview lasted 30 minutes. First they wanted me to describe myself and my projects which took 20 minutes. Then they introduced alarm.com for 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe form projects experience and which layer of a software I would like to do. No coding questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

One day after the school career fair, they hold a interview in the school to know more the us face to face such as talking about the project they are interested in or they thinks relevant to the jobs. Also, they provides some sample hardware to show you what are they working on.

Quality Engineer Interview

Interview

There were 5 stages in the interview which means I interviewed with 5 people in total. First interview was pretty much related to my experiences on my resume. Then there was a case study question and a brain teaser. The brain teaser was hard to do since I was getting tired of all the questions that were being asked earlier that day.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alarm.com (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I briefly introduced myself at the University Career Fair and was immediately set up with an interview for the next day. The interview lasted about half an hour. After a few weeks I was called back to follow the next steps. The next step involved taking an online coding test. About a week later, I was told that an offer would be made and sent my way in the coming days.

Interview Questions

• Why does Java only allow single inheritance?   1 Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

I gave my resume to the recruiter at career fair at our University. Then they arranged me for a face-to-face interview in Au Bon Pain of our school the next day. I was asked to talk about my QA experience. And then I got a piece of paper, which was about a design of a UI. I was asked to talk about what I thought about the UI.
    The Next week, I got a phone interview from another engineer of the engineer team. She asked me about my Automation Test experience and we discussed about my project I did during my last internship.
    Two days later, I got an email to ask me to fly to Virginia for an on-site interview. They booked me flight and hotel and accommodated me during the whole on-site process. 5 engineers talked with me that day. The first is a senior QA engineer. She asked a couple of questions about my project, and "How do you count how many windows are there in Manhattan"; "Given you a 3 liter pitcher and a 5 liter pitcher, how do you give me 4 liter water?". The second is another QA engineer. She asked some questions about my project too, and "4 people will go across a bridge, there is only 1 flash light which can only light up for 17 second. The 4 persons take 1, 2, 5, 10 seconds respectively to go across the bridge. Please tell me how should they do this before the light is off." The 3rd is a Software Engineer, he asked more details about something I mentioned on my resume, eg. explain some algorithms I implemented. Then he asked me to write a python code to delete duplicate elements in an array of integers. Then there was an two hours lunch break. Two employees took me to a good Thai restaurant. Then they guide me for a tour of the whole company. They are very nice and friendly persons. The 4th interviewer seems like the leader of the whole QA team. She asked me "What would your friend/professor/supervisor/teammates say about you?". Then she drew a graph on the white board, which is actually about all components of Alarm.com's main product. Shed asked me to tell her everything I saw from the graph. After I finished, she told me what actually every component is doing. The 5th interviewer is from automation test team. She asked me some questions and details about my automation test experience. Then she asked me to write a product test report on white board.
    I did the on-site interview very well.
    The next week, they arranged another phone interview for me. I think that was because they got more than one good candidate, and wanted to make choice through the phone interview. He asked me what I thought about the on-site interview; which QA team I'm more interested in. I told him "I think automation test is more challenge and I have some experiences on it, but I am very happy to learn new things." Then he said "...but we don't have so many automation tests to do." Then he asked about my hobbies. I told him a couple of things I like to do after work, then he said "...you don't have so much time to do so many things." And "where do you see yourself in 10 years?". The phone interview was a very unhappy experience. Fist of all, I don't like the interviewers attitude. It sounded like he was not paying attention while talking with me. Second of all, he misunderstood me a lot. Third of all, I was actually not 100% willing to be a QA engineer, and after talking with him, my interest of being QA engineer was completely gone. So I got a rejection letter after two days.

Interview Questions

• Questions are not hard, basically they are just something a lot of other interviewees have mentioned on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

When you first arrive, you have to sign in on a iPad. You are then greeted by an individual who will lead to a conference room, where they give you an iPad. You are then asked to signing on the website, and they give you a piece of paper with some hints on how to do it. The password that they give you is wrong, and you need to do a password recovery on the account. On the iPad, you have access the Gmail app account, then use the temporary password. When doing the password recovery, their is a password question to actually get the password. Look on the sheet, and the password hint should be on there. Further more, once you login you must send a text message to a phone. After you do that, you will be greeted with team leads and the HR manager. They will then start asking questions, and some riddles, so be prepared to be quick off your feet. After that, you will be shown around the building.

Please be aware, the interviews do not usually last a half-an-hour like most jobs. If you get requested to do an interview, and have a job, the interview process takes around two hours. This is no joke, so to help everyone out, schedule accordingly.

Interview Questions

• Most questions kind of revolved around the same questions, but worded differently.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

Apply trough career center, and received an email email back for a phone interview.
    Know your resume, they will ask you questions about your resume. They will ask you to be more specific about what you have done in the past and you mentioned on your resume. They will also ask you two technical questions based on the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• had two technical questions, one was about how to fix a broken link.   Answer Question

Technical Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alarm.com (Bloomington, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

First interview was at the Recruiter office, with two friendly Alarm employees, all basic questions about my job experiences. Also one questions was about teaching them how to pump gas. Second job interview was at their office in Bloomington MN. Five friendly employees asked me all kind of questions for over an our. At the end was to log into a tablet with an invalid password and a hard copy of a paragraph about driving and talking on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Difficult: To log into the tablet with a wrong password. Unexpected: After all the questioning; I was asked to tell a joke. I did, and they laughed, so now a feel like an idiot for telling a joke for free.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

Couple rounds of interviews with several people within the department. Mostly personality and technical questions presented. In the first interview, I covered my experience and projects. They explained their needs and foreseeable goals. After a few days, I was asked to do a face-to-face interview with the team. The interview consisted of a rotation of people ranging from personality and technical questions with management and technical folks.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not too difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Strangely, I was lead on to believe that I would be given an offer letter a few days after a few successful interviews. However, I ultimately was not given an offer the day on they said they would. They mentioned it was a change in internal demands. Not sure what that means and to me it seemed a bit shady. I end up taking another offer somewhere else.