Alarm.com

www.alarm.com

Alarm.com Management Development Program Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Alarm.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first heard of Alarm.com through my school's recruiting program. I spoke with an HR rep at the on-campus career fair, who was very enthusiastic about the company and encouraged me to submit my resume. I was fortunate that, upon applying, I had the opportunity to skip the first round of interviews and go straight to meeting with staff at Alarm.com's office in Vienna, VA. The company was extremely accommodating in scheduling and managing the trip down to D.C. for me - they covered the flight, put me up in a very nice hotel, and even reimbursed my meals and cab rides.

The overall interview process lasted all day (well, about 9am-3pm or so), but felt very natural and like I was having a conversation with each interviewer rather than being grilled on my resume or qualifications (although I do feel I addressed those areas very thoroughly with each person). Halfway through the day, I had the chance to go out to lunch with two current/former MDP associates and a fellow interviewee, and it was honestly the most fun I've ever had at a job interview - I knew immediately that I would fit in with Alarm.com's corporate culture and that my fellow co-workers would be people I would look forward to seeing every day.

A few days later, when I got the job offer (after receiving an email from the CEO no less, can you imagine that happening at a larger company?), I was ecstatic and knew that I would feel at home at Alarm.com.

Interview Question – Coming from a liberal arts background, I did find the one market sizing question I was asked ("How many school buses are there in the US?") a little bit difficult (mental math is not my favorite), but I had done a few case interview questions in the past so I at least knew how to approach it. The interviewer was very helpful in guiding me through the process, though, and I felt good about the experience overall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR was very open and willing to discuss my requests. The negotiation was an extremely positive experience - no feeling of being intimidated or like I was stepping on anyone's toes by asking for more than the initial offer. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alarm.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first heard about the company through an on-campus information session. During that session, I met an HR representative along with a few of my school's alumni who are currently at the company. The HR rep was very friendly and collected my resume on the spot. A few days later, I received an email from Alarm.com stating that I can skip on-campus first round interviews and advance into the second round interview at their office in Vienna.

The company was very accommodating to my schedule when booking the second round interview, and booked me a nice hotel and flight (with reimbursement for food and cab fare) for the trip to Vienna. The on-site interview lasted an entire day, with six 45 minute one-on-one interviews and a one hour lunch with some employees and other interviewees in the middle of the day. The interviewers were either current MDPs or senior-level employees. They all asked questions about my previous work experiences, why I want to work at Alarm.com, and ended each interview with a brain teaser. The brain teasers were all unique and fairly challenging, but the interviewers were all supportive and willing to guide me through them. Every individual I encountered during my day at the office was very friendly and demonstrated a genuine enthusiasm for the company.

The day after my on-site interview, I received an email stating that I got a job offer. HR sent me the formal written offer soon after, and was very willing to speak to me over the phone regarding any questions I had and directed me to current MDPs whom I could talk to about job specifics and day-to-day details. The company was very willing to discuss my salary requirements, and we ended up negotiating a starting salary that both parties were satisfied with. Overall, the process went much more quickly and smoothly than I had anticipated, and I am very satisfied with Alarm.com's hiring and interviewing process.

Interview Question – The brain teasers were all appropriately challenging. The interviewers made it clear that it was important for me to express my thought processes out loud, and were all willing to guide me in the right direction if they saw me struggling.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my salary and signing bonus. The company asked me what my other job offers were and made an impressive effort to outdo them.

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Alarm.com in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewer was very friendly and open to discussing his personal experience in the position and the pros and cons of the position. This was the first interview and was on-campus. The interview was half behavioral and half quantitative assessment.

My only advice is to be relaxed and to be yourself during the interview. Alarm.com is a smaller company and part of what they are looking for is if you're a good fit. If you aren't acting like yourself, it won't benefit either party.

Interview Question – Think of a cube made up of smaller cubes. The larger cube is a 10x10x10 cube comprised of smaller cubes. How many of the smaller cubes are on the surface of the larger overall cube?   View Answer

Worked for Alarm.com? Contribute to the Community!