Alaska Airlines

3.4

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online. After two weeks, They sent me an email saying to send the answers to 6 questions approx. One of those questions is to give them the days and times of 3 times you can be available for a phone interview. The lady that called me was pretty "plain". I think a voice recording would have been more cheerful and alive. Seriously! Anyways an interview is still an interview! Once I passed the phone interview, they told me that they will sent me an email with instructions to follow and they told me that I would be going to a second interview but this time is a group interview. now, this is not joke. When they said group interview, they meant it. After 3 weeks of waiting for this group interview i realized that there is 100 people waiting too. After 2 hours of breaks and introductions. They divided us in groups of 20. So 5 groups in total (A,B,C,D,E) aprox.
They started doing "introduce yourself" thing. Problem solving excercises, a group activity And "tell me something that is not in your curriculum". All this took an hour. Then another 30 min break So they can decide who to keep.
(They took more time than the time they stated btw)
After that they just called 5 applicants and the other 15 people leave. Now, all the people that stayed suspiciously had a relative in the bussines already. Because i observed they didn't do any effort to do their best in the interview. After that, there is a third interview. This time is one to one person. If you pass this interview, you get to wait one month for the training which takes 2 weeks. And after that, there is a test that if you don't pass with 90%or more, you are out.

Interview Questions
  • They ask you to solve a random bad moment with a customer in a hypothetical situation that they create.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

I applied online at Alaskaair.com and a few weeks later received an email asking basic questions like "Are you attending school? Would you be able to accept full time hours?" After I responded it was followed up the next day with a quick 15 min phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to a group interview the following week at the local Hilton hotel. The interview started at 9am and you were asked to come about 20-30 minutes early. There was a group of about 30-40 people and about only 3-4 openings. At first you watch a presentation where they tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the position to make sure you still want to continue. After that we got a 10 min break for water or go to the restroom. After that we did group interviews where you would get a situation card and you would have to answer basically what would you do? This sounds a lot worse then it is, yes its a little scary because you are answering these in front of the entire group but I don't know if I just got lucky but everyone that was in the group interviewing that day were so sweet that it made it not as bad. After a few hours of the group interviews we were asked to go to lunch and in an hour come back and we would find out who moved on to the one-on-one interviews. I don't think I have ever been that nervous waiting to hear my name. They only kept 10 people to continue the process and luckily I was one of them. We were then given a time to come back for our one-on-one interview and those lasted roughly 45 minutes. After your one-on-one I was asked to go into the hallway and they would let me know in 5 minutes if I was offered a position. When she came out of the room she let me know I made it. I have never been so excited, the interview process was a tough one but even if you don't make it it's worth the experience for sure.

Interview Questions
    • You are a parking garage attendant and parking in the garage is free if you are in their under 30 mins. A customer comes up and you enter her ticket and it says she has been in the garage 33 mins so she would be charged $3. She then says she would have been out before 30 mins if the line wasn't so long to get out. How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Springs, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Springs, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Don't get your hopes up they put you through so many loops! and for what? just to make you go to a group interview with 60 other people for one or two spots.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working at a salon as a hairdresser and you client thought you cut there hair too short and they were upset how you fix the situation??   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

The entire process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire consisted of basic questions. After that I was scheduled for a phone interview a couple days later which lasted approximately 12 minutes. The interview consisted of basic HR questions as well as a couple of CS scenarios. I was then invited to attend a group interview that was to take place in 5 days. The interview was in Santa Clara, CA. I actually thought the group interview process was pretty exciting. They put all candidates in a room together, show a few videos about the company, and have Alaska Airlines employees come talk to you about the company, their jobs, the benefits, and what you can expect. I felt the were very upfront, honest, and genuine. They explained the interview process and started with the group sessions right after the initial orientation. They split us up into 3 groups (about 16 people apiece), had us make 60 second introductions, and give an answer to basic CS scenarios. Some of the scenarios made you really think and you didn't know your situation until that very moment. Once that process was complete, they sent us on break and gave us a time to return. Once they returned, all candidates were placed in one room and the names of the candidates moving on to one-on-ones were announced. Everyone else was thanked for their time, encouraged to reapply, and sent to enjoy the rest of their day. The one-on-ones (more like 3 on 1's) were about 30-45 minutes, but fairly relaxed and comfortable. I didn't feel Like I was being interrogated. Once you completed the 1 on 1's they had you wait in a room and gave you the news (good or bad) in about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your greatest challenge if the job was offered to you?   Answer Question
    N/A

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

In June 2014 The process began with filling out an application online. I received an email message from HR which contained six questions that I was to RESPOND PROMPTLY to. Questions: Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines 2. Are you able to accept a part-time position approx 20-30 hrs per week 3. Do you have open availability (includes weekdays, weekends, early morning, afternoon and late evenings) 4. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.69 per hour 5. What time is best to contact you between 8am-4pm 6. What is the best phone number to reach you at. As requested I replied with 20 minutes of receiving the email. The next day I received a voicemail stating a date and time to phone screen and advised to call if the schedule didn't fit. The phone screen lasted 10 minutes typical questions: 1. Describe a time challenging situation at work ..How did you tackle it? 2. Why do you think you are suited for this position 3. Can you tell me of a time when a manager spoke in an angry manner to you or a co-worker how did you handle it? 4. Please share with me what you know about the Alaska Airlines 5. Why did you leave your last position 6. If you are still working for an employer, do you intend to leave your current position and work only for Alaska Airlines or do you plan on working both positions. 7. What do you feel are the qualities a good Customer Service Agent should have 8. How do you handle criticism. 8. How many times have you been late to work. I was then invited to a group interview session in 3 days and told it could last from 8am-5pm. There were approximately 30-40 candidates in the room. HR began with showing promotional videos and then we were introduced to the HR/Recruiting team and hiring manager. The hiring manager explained that they were only hiring for 3 positions. YES 3 positions! The group was split up between group A and group B. Group B included the hiring manager which became obvious to group A. During the session each person in the group was asked a question like: If you worked for a cleaners and ruined a wedding dress the day of the wedding and the bride was angry how would you handle that? If you were a stylist and a customer asked you to cut her hair and after cutting her hair to her specifications she didn't like it how would you remedy the situation? What is your favorite job. Not was your favorite job or what would be you idea of a favorite job....Then we were asked to make 4 teams of 4 or 5 people and complete an exercise giving us full range creativity where price was no object to create a better way to service curbside Alaska Airlines customers. At 12:00 pm we broke for lunch and at 12:30pm all candidates were brought in the room together and they announced the names of the 3 people they would extend offers to.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a hair stylist and you cut the customers hair to her specifications but she complained and said she didn't like it what would you.   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

Initial phone interview is the basics. Went to a hotel to do the in person interviews. Watched a couple movie clips and a HR rep went through a PowerPoint. Then we were split up into three groups which had about 12 peopl in them. The group interview had two employees asking you questions. It was pretty laid back and you were given a situation and had to respond to it on the spot. The face to face interview wasn't bad either. Just asked basic questions and finding out who you are. All of the Alaska employees were awesome and really friendly! They made everyone feel really comfortable in a stressful situation.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were given constructive criticism and how did you react to that?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

I applied and got an email response within four days asking me to complete a questionnaire. After I did that, I had a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward; your skills, your work history, etc. The interviewer invited me to a group interview event the following week. There, we watched a really informative presentation by an HR person then met a few others who actually work for Alaska. We were then split into two smaller groups and separated into two rooms. There were probably 14-16 people in our room and we went around and introduced ourselves. We then had an activity where you put yourself in a customer service problem solving situation, which was fun. Then, we did a mini-group presentation. Finally, we took a break and when we came back they let us know who was going to have one-on-one interviews. The face to face interview was actually a little intimidating to start, just you and two Alaska employees, but it quickly progressed into just easy, comfortable conversation. It lasted for about 45 minutes. They asked about your background and if you could perform the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is a piece of constructive criticism you have received at work? What is a piece you have received in your personal life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Group interview with far too many interviewees invited and not enough interaction to be able to fairly evaluate individual applicants.
    As previous reviewers have noted, you first get a phone call interview. If that goes well, you are invited to a group interview. The group interview I went to had so many people (between 50 and 65 is my guess) that we were split into three groups.
    I've never been in a group interview and I will never go to another one. After watching two movies about Alaska, there was an explanation of what the job entails and how you will be working most weekends and holidays given to us by actual employees. Kudos to the company and the employees for an honest presentation of what work life would be like. Actually it was more work than life because with the crazy hours you would work, you wouldn't have much of a life. They even explained how you would spend holidays working but it's not bad because you spend it with your work family. You even get to have Thanksgiving dinner with your Alaska family. Kudos again for blunt honesty.
    Then came the group interview part. As I said, I have never been in a group interview before. Neither had most of the others I spoke to at the interview. If you are a good performer, an actor or the kind of personality that likes to be in the spotlight, then a group interview is for you.
    After four hours playing several different scenarios in the group interviews, the interviewers excused themselves for 20 minutes (which ended up being 45 minutes) to come back and announce who would go on to the one-on-one interview. If you have ever watched American Idol, it is just like the part of AI where they put a hundred or so people into different rooms and then let them know they are losers. Out of the 50 to 65 people being interviewed, they were only looking to hire three or four people. So the vast majority of us were sent home.
    I personally do not appreciate my time being wasted as it was. I left with a very bad taste in my mouth for Alaska Airlines after this, just to be honest.
    The one-on-one interviews were after we played the group interview games, so the interviewers had no idea what most of us could bring to Alaska. Several of the people doing the interviewing were very new to Alaska (one guy had a year and another woman had maybe two years) and none were from HR; the whole process seemed very unprofessional to me.
    Unless you want to get experience in group interviews, I would not recommend going through the process. I do not think it is right to invite a person to a job interview where they have a five percent chance of getting the job. Or at least be upfront about that in the initial phone interview.
    Please note, I rated the interview process as difficult not because the interview was difficult but because the process itself is geared toward a very specific type of person. What type, I don't know. When you have over fifty people not qualified for a job, it's not the applicants. It's the process. I would recommend screening people more closely in the phone interview instead of inviting a large quantity of people to an interview when you only have a few slots available.

Interview Questions
    • We were given scenarios to read to the group and then explain how we would handle the situation. Then one of the interviewers would challenge your answer.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Applied on line and maybe a week later got a email asking me to respond back about the best way to be reach and what time. Got a phone call the next morning, simple questions and I passed that part. She then sent me an email for a group interview which was being held two days later. Interview was at 8am in a hotel close by San Jose airport with about 50 people there. The panel was about 5 people, one worked there for only two years while another I believe over eleven years. They went over the background of the company and how your time sheet may look. Starting off seems like you get the hours no one wants, starting at 4am. They then split us up into groups which we played games and had to answer questions. At times I felt like it was a comedy contest, guess people thought if I could make them laugh the whole time I'll be hired. After the games and questions they made us wait 25mins to go over who they wanted to keep there for a 1 on 1 interview. Out of all the people there they maybe called about five names including a young man which I have no idea how he got his name called. He couldn't even answer his questions and was joking the whole time. So many different walks of life so I have no idea what they were looking for after they picked him as one. You can apply online for another position but for the same one you have to wait a whole year. In a year I will have another job and if I didn't I wouldn't apply for this airline again. Also you can not smoke cigarettes, you have to be at lease 6months clean of it.

Interview Questions
    • Everybody had different questions. I believe my card asked me what would I do if a customer was short of money by only three dollars. After I answered they then asked me what if she does it all the time, what would I do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in October 2013.

After an online application, I received an email from a woman with Alaska airlines asking the following questions--
    1. Are you willing to accept full-time work, working 30-40 hours per week?
    2. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.21 per hour ?
    3. Do you have at least two years of customer service/ community service experience?
    4. Are you at least 18 years of age and authorized to work in the US?
    5. Do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to work any schedule (mornings, nights, weekdays, weekends, and holidays)?
    6. Are you currently working or attending school?
    7. What is the best phone number to reach you?
    What is the best day and time of day to reach you this week between 7:00 am – 4:00 pm PACIFIC TIME?

Next, you receive an email scheduling a phone interview where they ask you the usual interview questions "why Alaska airlines?" and "tell me about a time when you handled a difficult situation?"
    After you pass the phone interview, they schedule you to attend a group interview. My group had about 50 people. You then watch two movies. The first 10 minute one is about how the current employees love their jobs and flight benefits. The second video is about company integrity, that sort of thing. They then go over company benefits, pay, hours and have a few employees model the uniforms for the group.

You are then broken into two groups for the interview. We were each given a slip of paper with a "difficult" scenario on it and had to stand and explain how we would handle the situation. Next, we were ask who our favorite famous person was and why? Then they had us stand and talk individually about our favorite job. Lastly, we were broken up into groups of five and were ask to design a new curb to curb service, then explain it to the whole group. They send you into the hallway while they decide who has made it to the one on one interviews. The names are called out and the rest are excused to go home. Like other people on this site mentioned, the people they picked were very pretty(Barbie/Ken doll like) people who were in their 20's. They did include one older gentleman who had an airline background. I felt like I answered the questions exceptionally well, but did not meet whatever criteria they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • One of the things they ask you is, are you able to be flown to a week of training in Seattle? (They put you in a hotel and handle flight arrangements.)   Answer Question