Alaska Airlines

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.1

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The day started early and promptly at 0800. Candidates were turned away in 0801. Forty one people made it by 0800.

The day started with a one hour presentation about Alaska Airlines explaining their culture, the Flight Attendant career, the life on reserve, and how training works. Then we split up into groups of approximately 10 and had a group interview.

During the group interview each person introduced themselves. They had us arrange in alphabetical order by last name. The recruiter handed out a card with one question on it and one by one we answered the question. After everyone was finished they went around and we had to say an interesting fact about ourselves that was not listed on our resume. Afterwards we were finished with the first session. We went on a break and back into the main room.

After a little wait and everyone was back in the main room, HR came in and called 16 names. Those 16 were selected to move forward to the next step and everyone else was free to go.

They gave us an interview time and released us to lunch.

This interview was one-on-one and began with a Flight Attendant going over the basic qualifications of the job, the minimum requirements, pay, uniforms, and training. Then we had your typical HR interview with the situational based questions and they went over your application and work history.

After the one on one interview we were told fairly quickly if we were going to advance to the final panel interview. Then there was about a three hour wait as others were finishing their one on ones.

After everyone was finished with the one on one they had narrowed it down to 10 folks. We were split into two groups. The panel interview was one big group exercise. They want to see how you work together. The questions were situation based - what would you do or how would you handle - type questions.

After our group was finished, we went into another room and waited. HR came in and said the were going to take us out individually and tell us the results. One candidate was called out and was not selected. HR came back into the room and offered the remaining four of us that we were successful.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us a time when a previous employer implemented a policy change you either didn't agree with or weren't made aware of How did you handle it?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Be on point! Smile like there is no tomorrow. Take notes. Pay attention. The company looks great and a lot of people have to apply more than once to get in. So don't give up. There were 75 people in my session. They cut it down to 23. I made the cut. Went to the HR meeting & I think I was so nervous I freaked out & started rambling. KEEP IT SHORT & SWEET. Also be sure to mention volunteer work you've done.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online 1/16/15
    Received email 1/18/15 to answer questions

1. If hired, do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to relocate* to ANY and EACH one of our 5 domiciles - ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN or LAX (assignments are based on business needs and seniority)?
    **COMMUTING is NOT a viable option; getting a crash pad is acceptable though.

2. Have you had an IN PERSON interview with Alaska Airlines for the Flight Attendant position within the last 6 months?

3. Are you able to attend an interview, if selected, in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Southern California, or Anchorage, AK at YOUR OWN EXPENSE in the next few weeks?

4. WHICH location would you prefer to attend an interview at YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

5. What is the best phone number to reach you during the week?

Notified 1/20/15 that they would like to schedule phone interview
    Phone interview 1/21/15
    1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Why Alaska
    3. Tell about time you went above & beyond for a customer
    4. What do you like least about your job
    Recruiter was so nice, made me feel welcomed, scheduled me for in person interview 1/28/15. The phone interviewer is not at the group interview.

Group interview at 1/28/15 8:00 am
    As people waited, everyone had their smile on & actively spoke to each other. Some really worked the room, making sure to visit with most of the applicants on the other side of the room.
    Showed video talked about the F/A life & Alaska's benefits.
    Split us into groups & different rooms
    Our group had 15-20 people
    Each had to stand up, say first & last name, plus the spelling of our names, then asked "What job have you been most loyal too"
    Then they split us into groups of two, picked a card that has question on it. Situational questions, What do you do if a person doesn't want to wear a seat belt, What if a coworker is rude to a passenger, why should flight attendants be professional, what if a passenger wants you to save a meal & you run out before you get to his row.
    Everyone had great answers, then the interviewers challenged our answers to make us think of a better, different answer, or if were going to stick with our original answer. Interviewers were very nice till this point, then they really pushed. They really picked on some of the people more so than others, which actually felt rude & made the rest of us uncomfortable watching the back & forth relay.
    Then we were each asked to give them one detail that was not on our resume. (A hobby or interest)
    Again, answers were wonderful by all.
    We then were told to break, then meet back in the first room.
    We all took our seats, chatted with our neighbor until spokesperson read the names that were selected. Out of 90 people applying they chose 12-14.
    Not sure what happened in the other rooms, but in the group interview that I was in, only a few were chosen out of our group of 15-18.
    Really hard to say what Alaska was looking for. Dark hair, Asian, Mexican, African American were mostly chosen. Not beautiful/handsome, more of a plain look. Some were kind of frumpy looking. I can say the few from my group were very articulate, but my whole group really was amazing. Many previous flight attendants were NOT chosen. Alaska is funny this way. Maybe they think flight attendant's can't be retrained? I don't know, but I know many that have applied that are outstanding employees, & they don't get chosen.
    There were so many people from all walks of life that flew in from faraway places, on their own dollar, that really thought they had a good chance, they were devastated. Honestly, its too many people in these group interviews. So many should have been able to go to the next step that looked & acted the part but were cut right away. Another disappointment is having to wait another 6 months to reapply, when so many are capable & have the qualifications for this job that were passed over. The recruiters state over & over to reapply, but why state that if you have so many capable applicants there now?

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The team did a great job letting everyone know about the company and job requirements. The group interview was exactly what others have stated. Get there early, smile, be nice and stay alert!
    Alaska Airlines is a fantastic company. I will definitely apply again in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Low stress, great communication through the process. Lots of email before and after points interview. Went from a panel of about 40 to 13 after group interviews, cut to 9 after f2f. Team building drills were final exercises. Pick a city you know well...all answers in your hypothetical situational exercise must be very sympathetic v to the drunk flyer, the mean co-worker, the party animals. I survived to the final cut on nothing but minimum qualifications, smiling and charm.

Interview Questions
    • What job were you most loyal to and why?
      Tell us something about you that's not on your resume.

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Everybody came to the hotel very early. I think over 100 applicants came for the group interview.The process was fast. They recruiters were accommodating. Group interview first then hr one on one interview. A lot of people were cut after the group interview. I think the phone screening should be stricter because some people flew all the way to seattle for the interview. Then after 2 or 3 questions they're out.

It was still a good experience though.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Everything said here is exactly dead on. I made flash cards from the questions I read here and every question I heard that day was one of my flash cards. You need to stay energetic the entire time. That is where I think my downfall was. I aced the group interview. After that you meet with a flight attendant and they ask you about your ability to work whenever they want you too etc. Say yes to whatever they ask and stay upbeat. Think about it like this.. Be dumb blonde Taylor Swift happy. I'm dead serious. But try to make it as natural as possible. This applies to guys too. Be silly and happy but make sure whatever you say is professional. Not robotic. After that you meet with HR. This was my killer. They basically go through your work history and ask you why you left each job and are you rehireable. Blah blah... I think I got too serious here and lost my bubblyness and went straight to serious mode. Again they ask you more questions. All of those are also apart of the flashcards. Rehearse your answers to the point where you know them in your sleep. But deliver them as natural as possible. Again be really upbeat.. Match the energy of the interviewers. You are always watched dont forget that. Good luck. And like everyone else says you pay for everything on your own. I flew 5 hours there and back and paid for hotels and all. Make your money count if you go to this event. After the group they cut from about 125 down to 20. After that I'm sure even less. The panel is the final stage. Sorry no info on that. Remember this too. They will tell you to keep your answers down to 60 seconds. Listen. Everyone in my group that went over time did not get a Face to Face. Don't ramble. Short CUTE and sweet

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were frustrated with a co worker and what did you do?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

The best advice I could give someone who is going into the interviews is to make sure you mingle around with everyone and doing that with the biggest smile on your face. If your cheeks are not hurting you are not smiling to much. The company is looking for someone who is outgoing and has a sense of humor.

The interview started at 8. We all had to sign in and then do the reach test. Everyone to my knowledge passed that test. While you are in the room waiting to start the introduction make sure you talk to the people around you. The interviewers want to see how you interact with new surroundings and people. I noticed that some people were just sitting there not talking to anyone and those were the first ones to go. No nicotine is allowed in the company and they stress that. They pretty much ask you to leave and retry in 6 months when you have been free of nicotine.

After the introduction they broke us up into small groups. The first exercise they ask is for you to stand up and spell your first and last name and to answer a question "what job have you been most loyal to and why?" MAKE SURE YOU SMILE while answering the questions. The best advice I could give for this part is to be your self and not to be fake. They can spot the fakes and the people that tried to hard. They are not looking for someone to give gold star answers they are pretty much seeing if you can handle stress and what type person are you. The process is boring for them so if you can add humor to your answer you will most likely move on.

After an hour of waiting we all meet back in the conference room. I want to say about 75 people in all showed up for the interview. They called the names of who moved on and if your name was not called they ask you to leave. I fortunately was one of the 17 people that stayed. They then gave us all times for your face to face interview.

The first part of the face to face you get to have a talk with a FA. This was my favorite because you really get an insight and answers to all your questions you had all bundled up inside. Do not ask dumb questions! you really want to impress the FA because she is the voice to the HR. Next the face to face with the HR. In my opinion, I feel that this was the hardest because the questions they ask and how serious the HR is. I have to say, it was really hard to tell if I was doing a good job or not. Again make sure you have some humor, smile, and be your self. After the interview I thanked her for taking the time to interview me and walked out. I went back into the conference room and waiting. A girl came and called my name again took me to the hallway and told me I am moving on to the panel interview.

As we are waiting in the lobby for the panel we notice they cut more people. The final group was about 11 people who moved on to the final. The panel process is all about team work and how you show your self with a team. They brought in someone high up in the company to come in and interview us. If you don't stand out here you will be cut. The idea for the new person to interview us is because they are looking for people to light up a dull room and if you are the few to stand out they will ask you to move on. We did some more questions and team activities. The panel was done with us and told us to wait in the lobby.

After waiting for 2 hours we were called into the room. They cut the people in the beginning and the ones who they wanted got to stay. I was offered the job and accepted with 6 other people.

More advice! make sure to do your research. I have to say this website gave me lots of insight and what to expect. Smile smile smile and don't stop. During the end of the day it gets harder because you are exhausted and hungry but its worth it if you make it to the end. The whole process was fairly easy but honestly I met some people who bought a plan ticket just for this and were sent home. Not sure it would be worth it to spend that kinda money and not know if you will make it or not.

Interview Questions
    • explain the most stressful situation you were in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

The interview was intense but so worth it. First I applied online and it took them about 4 weeks to get back to me for a phone interview.

The phone interview was standard ten year work history (describe a time when you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved it). Be honest and concise, don't ramble on even though you're nervous.

Next they invited me to their hiring event in Seatac. The event started at 8 so I arrived at 7:15 sharp (be early!). There were around 60-70 people there by 8. First we had orientation which lasted for about an hour, we watched videos and listened to them talk about the life of a flight attendant. LISTEN and be attentive. Even when you think they are not looking, they are trust me. Smile a lot and be friendly. This part they will tell you everything bad about being a flight attendant, it won't be that bad but they only want dedicated people to stay.

Next they split us up into groups of 10-15 and took us into a smaller room where they had each of us stand up to introduce ourselves and here they just want to hear your voice and see how comfortable you are in front of people since you will be speaking in front of crowds on the planes. Then they handed each of us a card with a question on it and asked us individually to answer it out loud. Again, they are watching how you speak in front of people, not necessarily about the answer. Then after evenly necessarily your answer. Then after everyone had answered their questions they asked us what job we were most loyal to and why. After that they asked us to say a fun fact about us that wouldn't be on our resume, they are looking for something fun that shows your personality, not something you've accomplished.

After that we all went back into the bigger room where they called off our names, if your name was called you were chosen to move on to the next round but if not this was the end of the road for you.

Then they tell you when your individual HR Interview will be and you wait. Mine was at 1:30. The HR interview was pretty standard (are you willing to relocate) YES! name your strengths, your weaknesses. Be energetic and happy, tell them you've already started looking for apartments or crash pads.

Then they pull you aside individually and they tell you whether you made it to the next round or not. The last interview is a panel interview with a group of about 5 or 6 other applicants. Here they really really want to see energy even though you will be exhausted. The first thing you do is a group activity. BE INTERACTIVE AND POLITE. Don't grab from people and don't be bossy. And DO NOT look at the panel. Just have fun and participate. Then they will make it relaxed and ask scenario questions (how would you handle an intoxicated passenger asking for another drink)? Smile smile smile and just be yourself. They can tell when you are being fake. There was one girl in my final group interview who wasn't very nice outside of the interview and didn't okay as a team during the activity and she was the only one not offered a position. But most of all HAVE FUN :)
    wait.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do personally to help Alaska Airlines benefit.   View Answer