Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online 6/1/15 and on 6/9/15 was invited to do a digital interview. I completed that on 6/10/15, and received a phone call on 6/12/15. I missed the phone call, they left a voicemail inviting me to a face to face interview in either Seattle or Portland. I also received an email about getting the interview. I chose the Seattle interview, which will be on 7/24/15.
This whole process has happened very quickly. The video/digital interview was the most challenging so far in this process. You had 3 days to complete the interview once they sent the link to you. There is a tutorial on how to set up the whole thing, which I highly recommend doing. You can also practice as many times as you need to feel comfortable. I wore a business suit for the video interview. The interview consisted of 9 questions, you had 60 seconds to answer each question. Here were some of them....
Tell us about your work experience and about your resume....
Why do you want to become a flight attendant with AA...
How will you prepare for the demands of the flight attendant schedule..
Tell us a time you provided exceptional customer service....
Tell us a time you had to handle an unhappy customer...
Tell us a time you were part of a team and had to resolve a conflict...
Tell us a time you had to provide safety for customers...
What part of their mission of safety and exceptional customer service do you support and how will you help them to be successful in achieving it.

One minute is not a lot of time to answer a question, so I would definitely prepare some answers ahead of time. I answered all the questions in STAR. I smiled the entire time!!!!
I hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

I applied online at the AK website. A few days later, I received an email asking me 6 questions about my willingness to relocate, am I willing to relocate to any of their bases, and when was a good day and time to call me. Today I received an email telling me when to be ready for the telephone interview. I will let you know how it goes!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sweet Home, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Sweet Home, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Video interview today. Nine questions and only one min to answer them. Only one try at it as well. I've done other video interview but this one allowed you to see yourself as you were talking. Nice touch! Remember to smile, be yourself and I suggest to use the practice option.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

Made it past the phone interview. The lady who called me was extremely nice, and was very prompt when she said she'd call at a certain time. I was extremely nervous despite it only being a phone interview, where she asked me four questions and then went into a bit more detail about the next step which is the group interview, which I've been invited to attend!

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you want to become a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines?
      Q: Name one time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Q: What have you done to better your professional image?
      Q: Do you ever have scheduling conflicts with work and school? [ I said yes, and then described how I resolve the problem. ]

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. Alaska airlines truly seeks the best talent. This isn't an interview and you hope to "wing". I highly recommend researching the company, its contribution to the community, and the expansion from it's small roots. I used this website as my guide which helped me prepare for the exhausting interview process. Thank you to everyone who posted their feedback!

Interview Questions

• Why is it important to take time with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application in late Feb / early March and I was notified that they accepted my application in late March. Phone interview was scheduled for April 9th and they were very accommodating in selecting a day and time of day. I was successful in my phone interview (usual questions about why you want to work for Alaska Airlines and briefly describe how I went the extra mile for a customer) and I was invited to the next phase of the process which was the group and one on one interviews.
    I was again given a couple of choices of either Portland Or, or San Diego so I chose San Diego as it was scheduled for April 20th and Portland was April 12th (too soon). Keep in mind that you have to provide your own transportation to the interview sites and you are also responsible for food and lodging. If you want it bad enough, you just do it even if you have to drive there and stay with relatives which is what I did.
    Last phase of hiring process began bright and early at 8:00am on April 20. I would suggest that you scope out the meeting place the day before and show up a half hour before the start as they will not allow access after 8:01am.
    The morning started with a few video clips interspersed with talks from various Flight Attendants (FA's) and HR staff. We broke up into 4 different groups ( about 60 plus total people at event) and performed some group exercises. After break we gathered again ,the group of 15 was pared down to about 6-7.The 6-7 people were then taken individually by a FA to go over minimum requirements for jobs and then a one on one with HR person. After that process, we were taken out individually and told whether we moved on to the next round.
    The next round consisted of about 6-7 people from the first 2 groups. We then went through some group exercises that gauged team work ability, customer service skills and in some case just general knowledge and logic on just about every area. It was fun if that kind skills test comes naturally to you. The most important things to remember and I have seen it stated before on this thread is to SMILE constantly (but don't be fake about it, be sincere), Be HONEST, and be yourself. If you are acting, someone , somewhere will catch you and your journey is over.
    We were then brought to another room and told that we would be taken out individually to be told of the results. They took the 1st person out and after a couple of minutes they came back in to inform the rest of us that we got the job (contingent on passing a 5 week training class in Seattle, WA.

A couple of suggestions. If you already have a Passport book, bring it. If you do not and you are serious about this new job field, then I would suggest that you spend the 120.00 so at least the paperwork is started as it is a 8 week process to get your Passport book. Also they did stress that it is rare that the onsite interview process takes 2 days but it did take 2 days in San Diego. If you fly in be prepared to change your flight and come with an extra outfit.

All in all, it was a great interview process! I don't say that because I was successful, I say that because you will eventually see what they are hoping to achieve with this process and that is the continued success of this highly sought after Airline. There were a LOT of FA's from other airlines and I did not see a lot of those that had raised their hands in the morning to the time the dust settled in the afternoon. There are looking for a special type of FA but if you are unsuccessful the first time they very much encourage you to try again and again if need be.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online then was contacted by email about a week later. Email was to set up a phone interview, the following week.
    The phone interview was very easy, just basic interview questions. At the end of the call she invited me to do a F2F interview in Seattle.
    You show up and mingle with the other applicants. They give you a company presentation. (They show you videos which you can find online, I suggest watching before you go.)
    Then they break you up into groups of about 10-15 people. They asked us three questions during this "group interview"
    1.say your name, spell it and, tell us about the job you were most loyal too and why.
    2. They pass out cards with different questions and give you about 30 seconds to think about it before you answer.
    3. Here why eu ask you to tell them so,etching about yourself that is not on your resume. In my opinion they were looking for a fun lighthearted answer to this. Some people got way to serious with it.

Here they make cuts. I have no idea what made me go on to the next stage and what made them send some people home. I thought some people who didn't make it to the stage had well thought out answers, so good luck. Just be yourself.

Next is a once on one win HR.
    Basic interview questions, they didn't ask me a question that I had not prepared for. I thought it went really well I felt like we really connected. I went back into the room where all the other candidates were waiting for there 1-1s. I sat down and two minutes later one of them asked me to grab my things and come with her. She told me I was not selected and to reapply in 6 months.

Everyone was nice, just hard to know what they are looking for, and why I'm not it!
    Just be yourself if it's meant to be it will be!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Alaska airlines over another airline?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

Here are the questions! Just remember short and sweet and never stop smiling and no need to be nervous! Also, be sure to be honest, it worked for me. The STAR method is a good way to practice answering the questions. Have fun!

Situation: who what where when how
    Task: specific challenges, deadlines, costs
    Action: highlight traits without stating them, initiative, intelligence, leadership
    Result: close with a result quantify if possible

time when went above for customer service:

Why do you want to be an alaska airlines attendant?

Why do you want to leave your job?

What have you done to improve your professional image?

Why do you want to leave your job?

How I've handled difficult situations in the past?
    Angry customer:
    .Drunk customer:
    Non English speaking customer:
    Mean coworker:
    Coworker not working:
    Coworker rude to passenger:
    Coworker or passenger breaking safety regulations:
    Customer and no safety belt time for take off:

What do you find most negative about being on reserve?

how long do you plan on working here?

How do you measure personal accomplishments?

Policy change you weren't made aware of or didn't agree with how did you handle it?

Something not on your resume?

About yourself?

Weakness?

Strength?

How do you deal with stress?

one word that describes what you live for?

. Most challenging part of being a fa?

Give an example of a time you gave a first impression, did they think something that is not true to character?

What do you like least about your job?

What would you do if someone in Coach was demanding an alcoholic beverage before you got to him with the drink cart?

What is a mis conception your friends have of you?

When was the last time you received constructive criticism and why? Who where and when?

Another flight attendant misquotes how many drinks a passenger can have, how do you resolve this without causing tension between you the other fa and the customer?

. If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would you do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn?

Why do you think professionalism is important?

Define professionalism

How my life has shaped me professionally?

What qualities should an AA FA have?

What do you think would be the most challenging part of being a FA?

How have you resolved a conflict with a customer in the past?

What is your impression of a flight attendant reading a magazine on a red eye and the passengers are sleeping?

Explain the most stressful situation you were and how did you handle it?

Tell me about your customer service?

How has your personal life shaped your professional life?

Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?

What could AA provide in their orientation that you knew but wasn't talked about?

Interview Questions

• Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Open interviewing session started promptly at 8am Seattle Airport Marriott. Arrived fresh, clean cut, and well dressed. Arrived downstairs, there was about 50 candidates there. Did the reach test upon entry into the room. Mingled well with Alaska employees and other flight attendant candidates. They started the presentation at 8am, spoke about the company, reserve, pay (great pay, new contract is flawless) bases, etc. then separated us into four groups.. A, B, C, D (like working positions on the aircraft). We were sent to separate rooms. To do a group interview. Once that was done, candidates were sent back to the initial room to wait for results as to who would proceed further. Alaska employee came back read 20 names of those they wanted to stay, and he other 30 including myself were dismissed!!! Humph!!!

Interview Questions

• 1.) Please stand, speak and spell your first and last name, and tell us the job you were most loyal to and why?

2.) Picked a yellow card given to us by Alaska Recruiter, what is one of the biggest issues with customer service today?

3.) Please tell us something that doesn't exist on your resume.

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

The process was challenging but completely rewarding! Orientation at first, then group interview questions. Then one-on-one with flight attendants and HR, followed by group exercises. Throughout the process people were eliminated. Make sure to dress professional appearing a flight attendant. Things to consider, skirt length should be modest, make up natural and be yourself!