Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.2

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

I was emailed a month or so after i applied. They asked me to answer 5 question and respond as soon as possible. I did so and received a phone interview hours later. It went well be be ready for them to call at anytime!

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Walked into the lobby of the hotel to check in EARLY. Was asked by the recruiters at the desk for my required documents that I filled out. I was given a number on a sticker and walked into a auditorium to mingle with other hopefuls. Then we watched a presentation/video of life working for Alaska airlines , reserve and the base they were hiring for.
    After this we were split into two groups that were in separate rooms. Each person was given a card that had a question, ( think miss America ) that's how this unravelled. ( stand up , introduce yourself and answer the question )
    I noticed the people with confidence who were soft spoken and very professional with key words like (VOLUNTEER -DIVERSE-DEPENDABLE - PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES-DIFFUSE SITUATIONS) made it to the f2f round . If you were being considered for f2f later in the day, they asked you a follow up question immediately after your response to the question given on the card. ( follow up question is your indication if your in the running to move on for f2f ) then you go on break and they call back in the people that are continuing through the day.
    2 people out of 50 were chosen in my group.
    SMILE
    HAIR UP lady's.... None chooses with hair down

Interview Questions
    • What qualitys do you think an Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant should have?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied for this position and was contacted 1-2 weeks after by email asking when the best time frame would be for a phone interview. They respond telling you exactly when they will call.

My phone interview was a couple of days later. A nice, friendly lady on the phone goes over your basic work history with you. Then they will ask a few questions like how you have resolved a conflict with a customer in the past, what is one of your strengths and a weakness, and a couple of other situational questions (I can't remember them all, but they're pretty basic). My phone interview was 20 minutes long, and at the end (if it goes well enough), they will ask if/when you can interview in person and which location you prefer. The interviews occur in many different locations and you can choose which one is most convenient for you. You pay for your commute to the interview regardless how far you live.

Luckily for me, the interview was very close to my house, only 2 days after my phone interview. It was at a nice hotel. You show up, sign in and meet in a large conference room. There were 100 people in my interview. They go over info about the airline, then split you into groups. You will be asked to introduce yourself and go around answering interview questions i.e. "To which job have you been the most loyal," etc. Stand up straight, speak clearly, smile, show that you are happy to and excited to be there! After a few rounds of group questions, they will either ask you to stay, or you will be let go. NOTE: anyone who was not dressed in business attire like a pant suit, long pencil skirt and dress top and/or blazer was let go at this time!! My advice: dress exactly like a flight attendant. *You do not need to wear your hair up at Alaska Airlines, so that is optional, but keep it somewhat neat and clean.

Next you will meet with a flight attendant to go over basic requirements like "Are you willing to relocate?" etc. Afterwards, you meet with an HR rep. They are friendly and will be writing down your answers. They will go over your 10 year work history, and ask why you left each job. They will ask if you have a criminal background. They will ask "What do you think would be the biggest challenge about becoming a flight attendant?" or "What would be the hardest part about relocating?" They will ask about a time you went above and beyond for customer service, and a few other situational questions. Use the STAR method when answering to the best of your ability. I was a bit nervous, but the HR rep helped by asking more questions to get the full answer if I left anything out (STAR = Situation, Task, Action, Resolution). This part is not hard - be excited, be bubbly, be professional, and stay focused on explaining GREAT customer service that you've provided in the past.

After HR you go back to a waiting room. They will pull you out one by one and tell you if you get to move on, or they will ask you to leave. The next round is a group interview. There were about 15 people left in this round. We did a group activity like using the floor of the room as a map of the united states. You are given cards with city names on them, and as a group you map them out. Do not be overbearing, but get involved. Then there is a final panel of questions. They want to get to know you, see how you interact with others, and get a final idea of how you would deal with particular situations. You will spend a lot of time with the other applicants while waiting for call backs and in between interviews. You will feel comfortable with them by the end which is great. My best advice - don't get TOO comfortable. By the end of the 11 hour interview process you may feel it is ok to make jokes, speak out a little more than you should, and get TOO involved in the group activities. Make sure to remain professional. Be as friendly as you can, but it is still an interview. My best advice is to behave like you're in a beauty pageant that only judges on personality... And how you are dressed.

I did not get a call back but I know what my mistakes were in the last round after much reflection (they do not give you feedback). I am glad I went, and now I know exactly what I need to do in my next interview. Remember, it's ok to be nervous, but if you really believe you have the characteristics to be a great flight attendant, you do not have anything to worry about. Just show them who you are, be VERY polite, make friends and have a great time.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a drunk customer demanding more drinks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied online in June 2014. Had a telephone interview in July and was invited to the recruitment/interview session in Los Angeles July 23. The recruitment session requires a full day if completely successful and started promptly at 8AM. About 50 people showed up at the interviewing hotel. Staff was polite and professional. They said they were hiring many flight attendants over the next year, but ironically didn’t hire many people on this day. They spent an hour giving us a video presentation on the company, the flight attendant position, training, benefits, etc. After a ten minute break, we were divided into four groups of a dozen people or so. We were given a 3x5 card with a question on the back and were asked to read the question aloud and answer it to the group. Everyone got a different question. Questions included Tell Us something About You That’s Not On Your Resume, A Time You Witnessed Someone Doing Something Unsafe, A Time You Worked With a Team to Solve a Problem and others. I cant remember the rest. The recruiters said they would compare notes and return in 30-minutes to decide who gets a panel interview. After keeping us waiting longer than promised, a rep from HR returned and named only 5 people who would continue to the panel interview. They thanked the rest of us for coming and said we could re-apply in 6 months. No current or former airline people in my group were considered!I am a former flight attendant for another airlines and wasnt considered either. I thought the interview structure was set up in a way that eliminated perfectly qualified people, and don’t feel I was given a real chance to present myself, my experience, skills and qualifications. I dont see how they can find the candidates they seek with the way the session is set up and the questions they ask. It was a disappointing experience overall and a waste of time, so I don’t think I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a passenger refuses to buckle their seatbelt?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

Applied online, received email to respond back with a good time to schedule an interview ...completed phone interview and was invited to interview. I flew from North Carolina to Seattle on my own dime and stayed at the marriott hotel where the interview was being held at 258.00/night. I arrived at the orientation type interview well groomed bright eyes and smiled for days(just in my nature) made sure to make eye contact with everyone speaking and who I spoke to. After an hour the group of 82 people were split up into groups. My room had 20 people. We were asked to stand and speak about a job we were passionate about...not to toot my own horn I have great experience with a well known company, excellent reference letters written even by my current supervisor...other younger girls stood and spoke about retail jobs in shoe stores being their passion...that girl was selected for a f2f interview and I was not....sure I provided a resume but I feel my resume got me the phone interview. In MY opinion, I wasn't selected because of my "appearance" . I am not a size 2 with with long flowing hair.... I have curves but I am not by any means overweight. I feel as though I paid almost a thousand dollars to be looked at!!!!!! I feel they should have at least had the courtesy to interview everyone they INVITED to attend this event. It wasn't presented to me as an "open house" or I would not have invested so much to get there. I feel disappointed because I feel I was not given a chance for anyone to get to know me. Also of the 20 people in my group at least 8 of them were current flight attendants or previous flight attendants and they were all selected for f2f interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

I received a brief phone interview, really easy. They asked questions like: tel us about a time you went above and beyond at a job, why did you leave your last position and if I was willing to relocate.

Interview Questions
    • Once I was in the f2f interview they asked questions like: tell us something about yourself that isn't on your resume, what was the job you were most loyal to and why and a lot of customer service questions.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applies online 4/8 received an email with general questions. Waiting for next step.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

I passed the phone interview with no problem. I was asked to come in 2 days later for a group interview. I would say there were about 60 of us. Flight Attendants did a rah rah talk with us then we watched a movie and a Flight Attendant told us how hard it would be to be on reserve. Another Flight Attendant stepped up and told us about benefits and how great they are. Eventually we were split in to 4 groups and sent to different rooms. You take turns saying your name and what job you were most loyal to. They give you one question to answer and then explain that they are going in another room for 20 minutes to decide who gets to move on. They also tell you they know the process isn't perfect and you can try again in 1 year if your name is not called. Another person steps in and calls the names, also states the process is not perfect, and tells you to apply again in 1 year. About 8 names were called out of the 30 in the room. Almost all men. You are not allowed to ask for feedback, which I understand. To me it was a pretty unprofessional process. There were people who spent quite a bit of money to fly across country for the interview. Alaska could at least afford everyone a few minutes of a one on one. Maybe a better phone screening could narrow it down. I had great references and a great work background. I was even asked if I was an Alaska Airlines plant put in the group to observe. I wish I could give a hint as to what they were looking for. It seems to be whether the 2 people asking you 1 question get a good vibe from you. The Flight Attendants were all dressed professionally and looked great. I was surprised at how unprofessional the HR people dressed.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied with Alaska in the beginning of January and received an email the later part of January informing me they were reviewing all applications. In the middle of March I received an email asking me to complete a few questions and return the email. The next day I heard back letting me know I would have my phone interview at a specific date and time.

Interview Questions
    • not knowing what to expect during the phone interview.   Answer Question

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!