Alaska Airlines

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and received an email a few months later requesting a phone interview. I had my phone interview the next day at a time that was convenient to me. It was a quick 20 minute interview with simple questions like "Are you willing to relocate?", "Why did you leave your last position?, and "What qualities should a flight attendant have?". They were very nice and positive on the phone which was a nice boost for confidence personally. Remember to keep it short, simple, and to the point.

Have your resume on hand because the first thing they do is go over your work history.

Stay up beat throughout the whole interview and remember passenger safety is the most important thing to a flight attendant. Work it in or mention it whenever you can!

I was invited to attend the next phase of the interview process at the end of the phone call.

I will attend the next phase soon.

Interview Questions
  • Have a situation in your mind where you went above and beyond what your job description asked of you.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!
        Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online with Alaska in the beginning of October and about three weeks later I got an email stating they were interested. They asked me questions in the email, are you willing to relocate?, and if chosen for an interview could you get there on our own expense? Questions like that. I answered them then later that day I got another email saying I have a phone interview for the next week.

The phone interview I thought was pretty easy, and I get nervous for any kind of interview. She asked me questions on the willing to relocate once again, if I used nicotine within the last six months, if I'd be willing to let them do a background check on me. Then she asked me situation questions that would happen in the work place. It only took about 15 minutes then afterwards she told me if I was available for an in person interview!!!

The interview is this week, I'm excited and nervous! Hope everything works out!

Interview Questions
    • Are you flexible and willing to move to any of their domiciles? (ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN, LAX)   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out at your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied towards the end of July and heard back in the beginning of October. I received an email asking me if I was still interested, willing to relocate, and if I was available to attend an interview at any of their 5 domiciles. I of course said yes and I was available! If you are not willing to relocate or do the crash pad thing this may not be the job for you. You can be based anywhere from San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, or Anchorage.

I emailed back and scheduled my phone interview for a few days after. The phone interview was pretty basic. Questions like tell me about your customer service, how has your personal life shaped your professional life, are you able to relocate. They will ask you about relocating about 1,000 times because they really need people that are willing to do so. I passed the phone interview and he scheduled me to go to the interview at the Hilton in Orange County right after we finished.

Once I arrived there I was surprised at how steep the competition was. There was about 50+ candidates there and all of them looked like flight attendants already. (Some were current flight attendants and none of them were chosen) Make sure you are dressed professional and conservative. We started with orientation that was super helpful and informative of what life will be like. We then split into groups of about 12 to do our group interviews. Again, questions were basic. Tell me something not on your resume, what would you look for in a flight attendant, etc.. We then took a short break and almost everyone was cut. Only about 14 people made it past this round. They are looking for your positive energy and are watching you at ALL times. Smile, smile, smile!

After the cut was made, we started one on one interviews. We got to talk to a flight attendant informally and they told us more about the life style. There was a lot of waiting at this point so don't get too anxious if you aren't called right away. I then moved on to the HR interview which is you and your interviewer. Here we went over 10 year work history, any criminal activity, (just be honest at this point, they will find out and it won't count against you if you are open) what would you bring to the company, and of course relocating!

Only 8 of us made it to final panel interview. We were split into two groups to organize subjects in matter of importance or danger. Categories were vomit, security threat, fatigue, etc.. Be active and work through your team during this. They will be watching you. They will then bring you back together and you will make a map of their destinations. They aren't looking for accuracy just how well you work with others. Smile be energetic even though this is a LONG process. Only 3 of us were hired, it's a crazy day but it's worth it! :)

Hope this helps! If you don't make it your first try again! They are an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to say one word that described what we live for.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Flight Attendant Interview

interviewed at Alaska Airlines in November 2014.

1. applied online
    2. received an email asking me if I'm willing to relocate and if invited for a recruitment day, pay for my flight and accommodation -> phone interview scheduled by email
    3. Phone interview: went over all previous jobs and reasons for leaving, asked if I was willing to relocate, what's difficult about relocating, why I wanted to become a FA, why Alaska, what makes a good FA, situations where I went above and beyond, am I always on time, etc -> was invited for a recruiting event.
    4. Recruiting event: Was welcomed at the entrance of the hotel, signed in, spent the first hour watching a presentation about Alaska Airlines. The next step was a group interview:
    First we were asked to sit according to an alphabetic order. Then everyone introduced themselves and described what job job he was most loyal to (people who said FA, did not proceed to the next step) advice: people who talked over a minute, did not proceed.
    Then we were divided into groups of 2, got a card with a question and had a few minutes to discuss it between us and present our answer to the group. Some got a following questions, some didn't. It doesn't mean anything. Advice: respect your partner, shine and let him/her shine too. People who talked nonstop and took the spotlight and focus, did not advance.
    For the last step we were asked to describe something that's not in our resume and makes us unique. advice: show passion, talk about something you're passionate about, so they see it in your eyes.
    5. HR interview: This is where I did not succeed, honestly I'm not sure why. We went over my resume, why I left previous jobs. I was only asked about relocation while others were asked situational questions. Why do I want to work for Alaska Airlines? Will I be ready to relocate? what's difficult about that? Have I researched the bases? I flew 5 hours for an interview, yet failed to convince her I was serious about relocating. This was the step I felt I was not given a fair chance, the interviewer did not even look into my eyes. I felt the interview was too easy and this one HR lady made my total experience upsetting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in November 2014.

Too bad they don't include a one on one interview. There are so many people that you have to stand out! Smile, smile and stand out. First hour was all about Alaska Airlines with employees and a video.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything unexpected or unusual. Just disappointed that they didn't have any one on one moments with the candidates.   Answer Question

Application 7/30
    Phone interview 9/8
    F2F 9/23

The process went exactly as previously stated. Video, group, one on one with a FA, one on one with HR and then panel/group. We had four groups and my group had 23. We did a group exercise, introduced ourselves and answered a question, then answered question with a partner and last answered another question solo. I had fun throughout the process despite being nervous. We took a break and they made cuts after. They chose 4 of us. I did make the cut and did the one on ones. When I left, there appeared to be 7 others remaining and I anticipate only 2/3 were offered a cjo.

For anyone about to go to their f2f, my advice is;
    Dress professionally/well groomed
    Be articulate
    It's a long day!! Stay positive, stay fresh!

Flight Attendant Interview

I was emailed a month or so after i applied. They asked me to answer 5 question and respond as soon as possible. I did so and received a phone interview hours later. It went well be be ready for them to call at anytime!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

phone interview then an invite to come in person split into groups then a scheduled one on one with HR,I did have a tough HR interviewer she, was quickly on to the next question before I completely answered the first one she asked hahaha she was a bit tough to engage with but after all we need to accomplish difficult situations in the airline industry! so no excuse here :0)

Interview Questions
    • all my questions were standard and fun I am always prepared,but I can say the only one that I herd that stumped me a bit in the group interview was " what could Alaska include in its orientation that you knew but that wasn't talked about" there orientation was great/informative so that was a tough one know your stuff and read about the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question