Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

First was the phone interview with the recruiter, then if you pass that you are invited to a group interview. For group interviews you check in. Make sure you fill out all of the paperwork they asked you to complete before showing up. Then there is a power point presentation. It was very easy going. Fun. You can tell everyone enjoys what they do for the company. They split everyone up into groups and have you go into a room with your assigned group. There were 3 people from the company in our room. They go over what the group interview is going to be about. You stand up and introduce yourself and within 60 seconds tell everyone about the job you were or are most dedicated to. They are watching to see how you are in front of a group and talking to people you don't know. They are also looking to see how your speech is. If you say like or um too much thats a big no no. They most of all want to see your personality. After this there is a group activity. They are watching to see how everyone interacts with each other. Who is bossy and takes charge and who is sitting in the corner waiting to be told what to do. You want to be the one who isn't involved with everyone. But you want to help people. Because thats what this job is about. After this there was a on the spot question that you had to read aloud in front of everyone. Don't be the last one to go. You volunteer. I went 3rd. You cant see your question / scenario until you stand up and flip the card over. Remember to be customer service focused. Don't say um, or like. If you need to, you can take a deep breath and think for a second. Always look your interviewers in the eyes. Also look at the group. Don't mess with your hands while talking to everyone, that shows your very nervous. And def don't play with your hair.
    After all of that they let you out on a break and tell you what time be back in the room. They then will call off the names of the people that made it to the one on one interviews. Everyone else is asked to leave the room. After your name is called they hand you an agreement form. They then have you sign and date, you are then assigned your one on one interview time. The one on one I had was with 1 HR person and 2 station managers. They go over every detail of your past work history. You need to add every job you had even if it was just for 2 days. If you received a W2 you need to write it down!
    They then ask you a few questions about what was the most difficult situation you have had with a customer and how did you resolve it. They ask about why you want to be a CSA. They ask what is one thing people misunderstand about you. They ask what was one thing a past employer said you needed to improve and how did you take it?. You need to give real life experiences. DONT LIE! Be honest and be yourself. LOOK ALL OF THEM IN THE EYES! Don't mess around with a ring or your hair. I talk with my hands a lot and I tried to tame it down. ALWAYS answer the question in the end. Just be yourself and you will do great.
    Bring snacks. And keep your energy up.

I hope this helped.

Bring 3 to 4 copies of your resume.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

After you sign in, you are asked to wait with others who have scheduled interviews at the same time. They next give you a 10 minute presentation about the company and an overview of the benefits and demands of the job. After that, you are taken one by one to another room where you sit either one-on-one or two-on-one and asked particular questions based on the information you have provided in your work experience sheets or your resume. Once that is finished, you wait again for them to come get you to give you a job offer or tell you that you were not selected.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I like most about my current job. I was not asked at all about the job I held for 28 years, which was not in customer service. I had the minimum two years in customer service they required, but the prior job, which I attempted to draw parallels with to this job, was completely ignored. I believe that if I had gotten another of the recruiters, perhaps I would have been more successful. I came away thinking that company loyalty of 28 years didn't matter a bit to the interviewer.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The day started early and promptly at 0800. Candidates were turned away in 0801. Forty one people made it by 0800.

The day started with a one hour presentation about Alaska Airlines explaining their culture, the Flight Attendant career, the life on reserve, and how training works. Then we split up into groups of approximately 10 and had a group interview.

During the group interview each person introduced themselves. They had us arrange in alphabetical order by last name. The recruiter handed out a card with one question on it and one by one we answered the question. After everyone was finished they went around and we had to say an interesting fact about ourselves that was not listed on our resume. Afterwards we were finished with the first session. We went on a break and back into the main room.

After a little wait and everyone was back in the main room, HR came in and called 16 names. Those 16 were selected to move forward to the next step and everyone else was free to go.

They gave us an interview time and released us to lunch.

This interview was one-on-one and began with a Flight Attendant going over the basic qualifications of the job, the minimum requirements, pay, uniforms, and training. Then we had your typical HR interview with the situational based questions and they went over your application and work history.

After the one on one interview we were told fairly quickly if we were going to advance to the final panel interview. Then there was about a three hour wait as others were finishing their one on ones.

After everyone was finished with the one on one they had narrowed it down to 10 folks. We were split into two groups. The panel interview was one big group exercise. They want to see how you work together. The questions were situation based - what would you do or how would you handle - type questions.

After our group was finished, we went into another room and waited. HR came in and said the were going to take us out individually and tell us the results. One candidate was called out and was not selected. HR came back into the room and offered the remaining four of us that we were successful.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when a previous employer implemented a policy change you either didn't agree with or weren't made aware of How did you handle it?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The interviewers were very pleasant. From the minute you walk through the dir, you are given the opportunity to engage with interviewers and interviewees.. Take it, don't be shy. Like I said, the Alaska spirit shows in the employees as they are pleasant, and very welcoming it does not hurt to smile either. Smile as you would with your customers.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

Online application, then phone interview, then group interview, then on to the one on 2 interviews.
    The group interview was surprisingly nerve racking not sure why. There is all walks of life that are there for the job and some that you know off that bat do not have a chance. I was selected to the one on 2s and I thought I nailed it but I obviously didn't. I think i messed up by not staying on topic and answering the actual question in its entirety. I guess my nervousness got to me. Difficult to go through an entire day just to not get the job but its great practice for future interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

They changed it this time to one on one rather than group interview. Less stressful, more focused on what you have to say. You know within 15 min.after it's over whether you got the job.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I agree with most of the reviews on the interview process. I would like to share a few things I noticed duuring the process. I unfortunatly did not move forward to the second half of the process. I was suprised at some of the candidates that were chosen, they were not the most professionally dressed. Most women had pants and wore trendy jewelry. Some had more makeup and trendy hairstyles. So dont let the "professional" appearance fool you. I think there are power words that you need to hit to get a certain score in order to move forward. I will try again and would still love to be hired.

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

I applied online. I thought the company forgot or passed me over because I hadn't heard anything. One day out of the blue, I got an email with a short questionnaire, part of which asked when would be the best time for an initial phone interview. I responded and proceeded with the interview when I was invited to the next phase.

The actual "interview" occurred about a week afterwards. It was initially described to me as a possible all day venture. You start out with an introduction to the company, watching a short video and being introduced to the current long term employees who will be your leaders. You then get broken up into two groups and separated into different rooms where you participate in a "group" interview with an AA panel. You introduce a little bit about yourself.

Everyone picked a card with a typewritten scenario on it. You read the card aloud and described how you would handle your scenario. The group worked on another final project together as the AA panel watched to see how well you interact and worked with one another. The AA panels went off to another area to determine who would move forward to the one-on-one interview. This whole process took about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing about yourself that is NOT on your resume?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

First (phone) interview was pretty easy. She asked me a few questions and went over my job history (make sure you have your resume on hand). They're mostly hiring people who has customer service skills so make sure you incorporate that to your answers and make sure that you are flexible with work as far as scheduling. I got invited to a 2nd interview next month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

The process of being interviewed and hired was, for me, straight forward and surprisingly fast. I submitted an online application, two days later I received an email back with some questions. These were similar to the usual customer service interview questions for screening. I believe typing well and providing accurate, proper responses is important. The email asked when it would be best to call me if I was selected. I provided times, as instructed.

A day later, I spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She was polite, professional, and very friendly. It wasn't a "grill me" interview and we talked semi-casually about the position. She asked specific customer service questions as well: "tell me about a time when __________, and what did you do?" I passed this stage and was asked to come in for a face-to-face, one-on-one interview. I was not part of the group panel. I was required to pay my own expenses to attend this interview.

I flew to Seattle and went to the airport Marriott. I arrived early, checked in with a friendly, fun employee and she directed me to some water, if needed, and to have a seat, we'd start soon. They asked for the copies of my resume they told me to bring and I provided them. I was professionally dressed, but not white-tie event level. Suit, white shirt, tie, clean shave, styled hair. Others were similarly dressed but not in full suits. Some girls were there in the thicker-style leggings with long sweaters - office appropriate, but not entirely professional - and others were there with messy tucked shirts, etc. I can't speak to their status but it seemed they chose a mix based on factors that didn't involved dress or style alone.

They had us in a small group for about 15 minutes to discuss the company, introduce the interviewers, and cover some basics. Then, one-by-one, they called us away to interview with one or two people. Some got one person, others two. I got one. He was as everyone else was: polite, professional, friendly, happy. He asked a few basic customer service questions again, wanted to know why Alaska Airlines, and then probed a bit at your answers. I read a lot of what was here on Glassdoor and did some 'net searching, but they didn't ask me any of the questions I found! Ha! They were very much the same "how do you handle a____________?"

After he spoke to me for about 10 minutes, he directed me to a room. The girl who checked us in had three of us around a table. All of us a bit nervous. At first, we feared the worst when she spoke the beginning of a denial: "thank you for coming, you all did well..." but then, she said "and because of that we'd like to make an offer ..." and that was it.

After the offer was given, we read through some paperwork on drug and background screens, about the first day of training, and some other company info. We were then set free to await out packet.

As others mentioned, there is apparently a test on the city codes and I am confident to pass this. I'm not sure why some are worried or concerned. Yes, it seems low pay, and yes, the hours might suck for some people that look negatively, but if you're a new airline employee in a starting position and you were well-informed before moving on that's what to expect, then ... what do some expect? $25/hr and a 9-5, M-F schedule!!? Also, the test should be easy with some time. I think a big deal to getting this position is showing some dedication. They don't want someone to just come in and leave in a month and they want someone willing to put in to the position what the can get from it.

More updates to come as soon as I get through with training and can review the company a bit. Should be fun! I encourage those to apply if they're interested.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a long line of customers quickly, but still provide a positive experience?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines?   View Answer
    • What will be your greatest challenge if you accept this position?   View Answer