Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Long Beach, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Im a flight attendant looking for a new airline and this has to be the most exhausting interview process i've ever been through. I went March 2012 and made it to the third interview before they basically told me to get the hell out.
    So first they do a group interview. They make four big groups and send us all in different rooms. basically you have to be all smiley and friendly (fake) and make your little speech with good energy. then they pair you up with your neighbor and give you a scenario to resolve to see how well you work with strangers. then you go in a big room with everyone and they give the boot to about 75% of the people that showed up. Four hours later(literally), it's time for the one on one. they try to make it casual so they can see the real you. They ask questions if youre willing to relocate, about your current employer, blah blah blah typical interview questions. If they like you, you go onto the third and final one with HR.
    THATS the one where they grill you about your job history. i mean THEY GRILL YOU. details, details, questions for 15 minutes STRAIGHT about every little detail about your job history for the past TEN years. A lot of "what if" and "tell me about a time" questions. The one i HATED was "tell me about the last time you recieved constructive criticism... who was it, when, where and why?" Eventually i was so mentally and emotionally exhausted that i gave up about 8 minutes in and started giving short answers. Thats where i went wrong. They make it into a negative environment purposefully to see how you will react. Then i was sent back to another room to hear from someone if you got the job or not. Some 18 year old girl ended up calling my name with a little folder and said "at this time, you will not continue on the interview process" then told me to get out. So yeah at least they have the decency to tell you that day that you dont have the job! :) hope it helped. Oh and they tell you to reapply again in 6 months :) <3 jaded stew

Interview Questions

• "when was the last time you received constructive criticism and why when where who and what was their middle name?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Just smile a lot. Let them know that you are flexible, outgoing, and that you work well with others. Did I say smile a lot? Make eye contact, and be flexible.

Interview Questions

• If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would u do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn they were holding?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in April 2013.

Interview

Ok...I just had to post this!! I went to an Alaska Airline hiring event yesterday April 23,2013 in Portland OR. and wanted to let everyone know what to expect when Interviewing with Alaska. I would say at least 150 people came...and they chose around 17 ppl. It was VERY disappointing to say the least. First, what Alaska tells you to expect on their website is not what to expect when it comes down to whom they are looking for as an employee. They chose VERY odd individuals...A bartender, a barista, a hairdresser...not the nurses...the ex-flight attendant's...really no one with good experience. They tell you right away that if there is a 911 on the plane...your it!!! Well then wouldn't you want a nurse or a ex-flight attendant to help you on the plane....not a bartender or a hairdresser??? They ask you to tell them something about yourself that is not on your Resume and to give yourself bragging rights about that something...two of the individuals they chose of the 17 spoke of awesome grandkids and the other spoke of being a avid sports fan of the LA lakers. Then a ex-flight attendant whom they didn't choose stood and spoke of something not on her Resume which was that she had been giving a reward for catching the "fake hi-jacker" in a mock up when she flew for the airlines...Again...wouldn't you want an ex-flight attendant on your flight that has those bragging rights..not the individual that say's..."GO LAKERS" and her grandkids are cute!! ODD Alaska Airlines...I have such a different opinion of Alaska Airlines now....NOT GOOD!!!

Interview Questions

• Group question were in sets of 3 people and your all asked a specific question to answer from..."passenger won't put on seatbelt" to "fellow employee is texting while taking off"...what do you do?   2 Answers
    • They DON'T drug test you that day... they send you to Seattle for that; and most of you will be sent home at lunch...which is around noon after the group interview. They kept the 17 people for the one-on-one interview's. For me to walk out with over 100 others people that were very HIGHLY qualified made me not feel as bad...but still I was very frustrated. Then to top it off....you can't re-apply for the flight attendant position for 1 year....that is HORRIBLE to make these very QUALIFIED people wait that long to try again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application in late Feb / early March and I was notified that they accepted my application in late March. Phone interview was scheduled for April 9th and they were very accommodating in selecting a day and time of day. I was successful in my phone interview (usual questions about why you want to work for Alaska Airlines and briefly describe how I went the extra mile for a customer) and I was invited to the next phase of the process which was the group and one on one interviews.
    I was again given a couple of choices of either Portland Or, or San Diego so I chose San Diego as it was scheduled for April 20th and Portland was April 12th (too soon). Keep in mind that you have to provide your own transportation to the interview sites and you are also responsible for food and lodging. If you want it bad enough, you just do it even if you have to drive there and stay with relatives which is what I did.
    Last phase of hiring process began bright and early at 8:00am on April 20. I would suggest that you scope out the meeting place the day before and show up a half hour before the start as they will not allow access after 8:01am.
    The morning started with a few video clips interspersed with talks from various Flight Attendants (FA's) and HR staff. We broke up into 4 different groups ( about 60 plus total people at event) and performed some group exercises. After break we gathered again ,the group of 15 was pared down to about 6-7.The 6-7 people were then taken individually by a FA to go over minimum requirements for jobs and then a one on one with HR person. After that process, we were taken out individually and told whether we moved on to the next round.
    The next round consisted of about 6-7 people from the first 2 groups. We then went through some group exercises that gauged team work ability, customer service skills and in some case just general knowledge and logic on just about every area. It was fun if that kind skills test comes naturally to you. The most important things to remember and I have seen it stated before on this thread is to SMILE constantly (but don't be fake about it, be sincere), Be HONEST, and be yourself. If you are acting, someone , somewhere will catch you and your journey is over.
    We were then brought to another room and told that we would be taken out individually to be told of the results. They took the 1st person out and after a couple of minutes they came back in to inform the rest of us that we got the job (contingent on passing a 5 week training class in Seattle, WA.

A couple of suggestions. If you already have a Passport book, bring it. If you do not and you are serious about this new job field, then I would suggest that you spend the 120.00 so at least the paperwork is started as it is a 8 week process to get your Passport book. Also they did stress that it is rare that the onsite interview process takes 2 days but it did take 2 days in San Diego. If you fly in be prepared to change your flight and come with an extra outfit.

All in all, it was a great interview process! I don't say that because I was successful, I say that because you will eventually see what they are hoping to achieve with this process and that is the continued success of this highly sought after Airline. There were a LOT of FA's from other airlines and I did not see a lot of those that had raised their hands in the morning to the time the dust settled in the afternoon. There are looking for a special type of FA but if you are unsuccessful the first time they very much encourage you to try again and again if need be.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

The process was challenging but completely rewarding! Orientation at first, then group interview questions. Then one-on-one with flight attendants and HR, followed by group exercises. Throughout the process people were eliminated. Make sure to dress professional appearing a flight attendant. Things to consider, skirt length should be modest, make up natural and be yourself!

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Irvine, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

You start with reach requirement, then orientation and group interview. Group interview allowed them to see who stands out. If chosen them you move to next round.
    Be calm and try to relax and allow your true self to shine through.

Interview Questions

• If you were on the hiring panel what would you look for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The next day i got an email asking basic questions i.e.: am i able to relocate to any of the bases. A few days later i got called for a phone interview. We went over my resume (work history), and I was asked why I want to become a flight attendant and why Alaska Airlines. A week later was my interview in Seattle. VERY LONG DAY! It was 11 hours total. It started with an hour orientation (overview of the company and being on reserve). There were about 50 of us to start. Next was the group interview. We split up into groups of 13/14 per room. We had to alphabetize ourselves by last name. We were then handed an index card face down. It had a question on it that we had to answer fairly quickly after we flipped it over. They will occasionally come back with a flight scenario and ask you how you would handle it. When everyone was done, we all went back into the orientation room. They called out 13 names to stay, the rest were dismissed. We then got scheduled a time for a 1-on-1 with a flight attendant (this was more of your work history, why you left jobs etc). I had to wait 2 1/2 hours until my interview so i had time to grab lunch (eat with a group, they are watching you!!!. After the 1 on 1 was an interview with HR. This is where it got nerve racking. It was a LOT of questions about relocation, what is going to be the most difficult part, how you have prepared ,ect. There was a gap of time to wait before the last interview which was the panel interview. You all sit in a row of chairs in front of a panel and they literally ask you question after question, scenario after scenario on what you would do. There is really no right or wrong answer (since you don't know much about being a flight attendant), but even though you are dog tired, perk up, keep smiling, be willing to answer questions, and show them you want this job! They ended up offering just a handful of us a position at the flight attendant training July 7.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Great process, great people! Come prepared! The candidates who talk clearly and present themselves with confidence are the ones who make t thru. Do not forget to smile and mingle with everyone!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online 6/1/15 and on 6/9/15 was invited to do a digital interview. I completed that on 6/10/15, and received a phone call on 6/12/15. I missed the phone call, they left a voicemail inviting me to a face to face interview in either Seattle or Portland. I also received an email about getting the interview. I chose the Seattle interview, which will be on 7/24/15.
    This whole process has happened very quickly. The video/digital interview was the most challenging so far in this process. You had 3 days to complete the interview once they sent the link to you. There is a tutorial on how to set up the whole thing, which I highly recommend doing. You can also practice as many times as you need to feel comfortable. I wore a business suit for the video interview. The interview consisted of 9 questions, you had 60 seconds to answer each question. Here were some of them....
    Tell us about your work experience and about your resume....
    Why do you want to become a flight attendant with AA...
    How will you prepare for the demands of the flight attendant schedule..
    Tell us a time you provided exceptional customer service....
    Tell us a time you had to handle an unhappy customer...
    Tell us a time you were part of a team and had to resolve a conflict...
    Tell us a time you had to provide safety for customers...
    What part of their mission of safety and exceptional customer service do you support and how will you help them to be successful in achieving it.

One minute is not a lot of time to answer a question, so I would definitely prepare some answers ahead of time. I answered all the questions in STAR. I smiled the entire time!!!!
    I hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

Very in depth interviews. It's not hard if you are a good listener, follow instructions (you can only do that if you are actually listening to the recruiters and being present), and be concise. Don't ramble on. If you're rambling, then you aren't being concise or following directives. Interviewers are friendly, yet very serious about finding the right people for the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a challenge working with a co-worker and how you handled it.   Answer Question