Alaska Airlines

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2012.

Im a flight attendant looking for a new airline and this has to be the most exhausting interview process i've ever been through. I went March 2012 and made it to the third interview before they basically told me to get the hell out.
    So first they do a group interview. They make four big groups and send us all in different rooms. basically you have to be all smiley and friendly (fake) and make your little speech with good energy. then they pair you up with your neighbor and give you a scenario to resolve to see how well you work with strangers. then you go in a big room with everyone and they give the boot to about 75% of the people that showed up. Four hours later(literally), it's time for the one on one. they try to make it casual so they can see the real you. They ask questions if youre willing to relocate, about your current employer, blah blah blah typical interview questions. If they like you, you go onto the third and final one with HR.
    THATS the one where they grill you about your job history. i mean THEY GRILL YOU. details, details, questions for 15 minutes STRAIGHT about every little detail about your job history for the past TEN years. A lot of "what if" and "tell me about a time" questions. The one i HATED was "tell me about the last time you recieved constructive criticism... who was it, when, where and why?" Eventually i was so mentally and emotionally exhausted that i gave up about 8 minutes in and started giving short answers. Thats where i went wrong. They make it into a negative environment purposefully to see how you will react. Then i was sent back to another room to hear from someone if you got the job or not. Some 18 year old girl ended up calling my name with a little folder and said "at this time, you will not continue on the interview process" then told me to get out. So yeah at least they have the decency to tell you that day that you dont have the job! :) hope it helped. Oh and they tell you to reapply again in 6 months :) <3 jaded stew

Interview Questions
    • "when was the last time you received constructive criticism and why when where who and what was their middle name?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2012.

Just smile a lot. Let them know that you are flexible, outgoing, and that you work well with others. Did I say smile a lot? Make eye contact, and be flexible.

Interview Questions
    • If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would u do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn they were holding?   View Answer
    N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2013.

Ok...I just had to post this!! I went to an Alaska Airline hiring event yesterday April 23,2013 in Portland OR. and wanted to let everyone know what to expect when Interviewing with Alaska. I would say at least 150 people came...and they chose around 17 ppl. It was VERY disappointing to say the least. First, what Alaska tells you to expect on their website is not what to expect when it comes down to whom they are looking for as an employee. They chose VERY odd individuals...A bartender, a barista, a hairdresser...not the nurses...the ex-flight attendant's...really no one with good experience. They tell you right away that if there is a 911 on the plane...your it!!! Well then wouldn't you want a nurse or a ex-flight attendant to help you on the plane....not a bartender or a hairdresser??? They ask you to tell them something about yourself that is not on your Resume and to give yourself bragging rights about that something...two of the individuals they chose of the 17 spoke of awesome grandkids and the other spoke of being a avid sports fan of the LA lakers. Then a ex-flight attendant whom they didn't choose stood and spoke of something not on her Resume which was that she had been giving a reward for catching the "fake hi-jacker" in a mock up when she flew for the airlines...Again...wouldn't you want an ex-flight attendant on your flight that has those bragging rights..not the individual that say's..."GO LAKERS" and her grandkids are cute!! ODD Alaska Airlines...I have such a different opinion of Alaska Airlines now....NOT GOOD!!!

Interview Questions
    • Group question were in sets of 3 people and your all asked a specific question to answer from..."passenger won't put on seatbelt" to "fellow employee is texting while taking off"...what do you do?   View Answers (2)
    • They DON'T drug test you that day... they send you to Seattle for that; and most of you will be sent home at lunch...which is around noon after the group interview. They kept the 17 people for the one-on-one interview's. For me to walk out with over 100 others people that were very HIGHLY qualified made me not feel as bad...but still I was very frustrated. Then to top it off....you can't re-apply for the flight attendant position for 1 year....that is HORRIBLE to make these very QUALIFIED people wait that long to try again.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2012.

Applied online 01/13, got an email the next day asking to schedule a phone interview. Passed phone interview, was very basic customer service questions. Had a group interview 2/12/13 in SEA, and it was a blast. Started with movie, then group interview, then F2F, then panel. Out of 80, I believe only around 10 got hired. I made it to the final panel, but was not offered a position.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2011.

I was surprised by how in depth they evaluated me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you have difficulties with another co-worker.   Answer Question
    Tried to negotiate a higher salary, but wasn't successful.

Senior Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2010.

Phone interview with Human Resources. Very professional. I was not prepared for the human resources person to ask me technical questions. She asked technical questions related to COSO and internal controls, not the type of questions I would expect from HR. Be prepared for all types of questions during the inital screening process!

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2008.

typically consisting of two rounds, one informational and one final; group interviews; related experience appreciated; good preparation is weighted; couple of tough questions were asked

Interview Questions
    • how would you confront employee ABC, who is hard to adapt to good changes initiated by his/her co-worker ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2011.

Initial interview is a phone conversation. I think it was a third party company. Basic questions. After that you're invited to a 1:1, however, you have to pay for your own airfare to either Anchorage or Seattle.

The interview consists of 3 rounds. The first round has you devided up into groups of about 15. They'll go around the room asking questions and scenarios to each person. The 2nd round is 1:1 with 2 HR employess who go over some more STAR and situational questions and inquire about your background. The last round your reunited with the remaining interviewees and seated in front of a panel of 6 (FAs, Management, HR). They have you work with groups in different scenarios. Basically they're trying to see if you work/communicate well with others. They want to see if you know how to be a team leader yet at the same time if you're a team player.

Interview Questions
    • Round 1, the last question they asked was a personal one.. Tell me something about yourself that I don't already know from your resume.   View Answer
    non negotiable, union

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in October 2011.

A very long and disappointing day.

Interview Questions
    • Using the STAR interview technique... very stressful for candidtae.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Was called for an interview on the closing date on the job listing. Had a phone screen interview with about 10 general behavioral questions and questions like why Alaska, do I understand the job, etc. Then, about two weeks later I was called for an interview with an HR person and the hiring manager. After that interview there were two more rounds.

Interview Questions
    • They grilled me over my work history, which seemed kind of knit picky. They also wanted really specific answers to their questions and I was unfortunately vague and that seemed to visibly annoy them.   Answer Question