Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.1

Facilities Project Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I received a call for a phone interview almost a full two months after applying. The interviewer called earlier than our scheduled time. She was quite nice and apologetic.

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of the responsibilities for this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were responsible for multiple complex projects and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a diverse group of people on a project and not everyone was on board and contributing.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I was emailed a month or so after i applied. They asked me to answer 5 question and respond as soon as possible. I did so and received a phone interview hours later. It went well be be ready for them to call at anytime!

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

I applied online at Alaskaair.com and a few weeks later received an email asking basic questions like "Are you attending school? Would you be able to accept full time hours?" After I responded it was followed up the next day with a quick 15 min phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to a group interview the following week at the local Hilton hotel. The interview started at 9am and you were asked to come about 20-30 minutes early. There was a group of about 30-40 people and about only 3-4 openings. At first you watch a presentation where they tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the position to make sure you still want to continue. After that we got a 10 min break for water or go to the restroom. After that we did group interviews where you would get a situation card and you would have to answer basically what would you do? This sounds a lot worse then it is, yes its a little scary because you are answering these in front of the entire group but I don't know if I just got lucky but everyone that was in the group interviewing that day were so sweet that it made it not as bad. After a few hours of the group interviews we were asked to go to lunch and in an hour come back and we would find out who moved on to the one-on-one interviews. I don't think I have ever been that nervous waiting to hear my name. They only kept 10 people to continue the process and luckily I was one of them. We were then given a time to come back for our one-on-one interview and those lasted roughly 45 minutes. After your one-on-one I was asked to go into the hallway and they would let me know in 5 minutes if I was offered a position. When she came out of the room she let me know I made it. I have never been so excited, the interview process was a tough one but even if you don't make it it's worth the experience for sure.

Interview Questions
    • You are a parking garage attendant and parking in the garage is free if you are in their under 30 mins. A customer comes up and you enter her ticket and it says she has been in the garage 33 mins so she would be charged $3. She then says she would have been out before 30 mins if the line wasn't so long to get out. How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

phone interview then an invite to come in person split into groups then a scheduled one on one with HR,I did have a tough HR interviewer she, was quickly on to the next question before I completely answered the first one she asked hahaha she was a bit tough to engage with but after all we need to accomplish difficult situations in the airline industry! so no excuse here :0)

Interview Questions
    • all my questions were standard and fun I am always prepared,but I can say the only one that I herd that stumped me a bit in the group interview was " what could Alaska include in its orientation that you knew but that wasn't talked about" there orientation was great/informative so that was a tough one know your stuff and read about the company   Answer Question

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tukwila, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Ridiculous. Tiffany from HR was rude and didn't even give a fair chance to explain things on our work history form. They don't even formally tell you that you aren't hired. They hand a piece of paper to the guy out front (they do it right in front of you) and walk back in the room. Unprofessional.

Ground Service Agent Interview

It was a group interview. They had you answer generic questions about adjusting to changes on the job or scenario-based questions. They eliminate a few people in the first round and then personal interviews are conducted during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you were in an organization and you had to adapt to change quickly and how did the results affect you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Walked into the lobby of the hotel to check in EARLY. Was asked by the recruiters at the desk for my required documents that I filled out. I was given a number on a sticker and walked into a auditorium to mingle with other hopefuls. Then we watched a presentation/video of life working for Alaska airlines , reserve and the base they were hiring for.
    After this we were split into two groups that were in separate rooms. Each person was given a card that had a question, ( think miss America ) that's how this unravelled. ( stand up , introduce yourself and answer the question )
    I noticed the people with confidence who were soft spoken and very professional with key words like (VOLUNTEER -DIVERSE-DEPENDABLE - PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES-DIFFUSE SITUATIONS) made it to the f2f round . If you were being considered for f2f later in the day, they asked you a follow up question immediately after your response to the question given on the card. ( follow up question is your indication if your in the running to move on for f2f ) then you go on break and they call back in the people that are continuing through the day.
    2 people out of 50 were chosen in my group.
    SMILE
    HAIR UP lady's.... None chooses with hair down

Interview Questions
    • What qualitys do you think an Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant should have?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied for this position and was contacted 1-2 weeks after by email asking when the best time frame would be for a phone interview. They respond telling you exactly when they will call.

My phone interview was a couple of days later. A nice, friendly lady on the phone goes over your basic work history with you. Then they will ask a few questions like how you have resolved a conflict with a customer in the past, what is one of your strengths and a weakness, and a couple of other situational questions (I can't remember them all, but they're pretty basic). My phone interview was 20 minutes long, and at the end (if it goes well enough), they will ask if/when you can interview in person and which location you prefer. The interviews occur in many different locations and you can choose which one is most convenient for you. You pay for your commute to the interview regardless how far you live.

Luckily for me, the interview was very close to my house, only 2 days after my phone interview. It was at a nice hotel. You show up, sign in and meet in a large conference room. There were 100 people in my interview. They go over info about the airline, then split you into groups. You will be asked to introduce yourself and go around answering interview questions i.e. "To which job have you been the most loyal," etc. Stand up straight, speak clearly, smile, show that you are happy to and excited to be there! After a few rounds of group questions, they will either ask you to stay, or you will be let go. NOTE: anyone who was not dressed in business attire like a pant suit, long pencil skirt and dress top and/or blazer was let go at this time!! My advice: dress exactly like a flight attendant. *You do not need to wear your hair up at Alaska Airlines, so that is optional, but keep it somewhat neat and clean.

Next you will meet with a flight attendant to go over basic requirements like "Are you willing to relocate?" etc. Afterwards, you meet with an HR rep. They are friendly and will be writing down your answers. They will go over your 10 year work history, and ask why you left each job. They will ask if you have a criminal background. They will ask "What do you think would be the biggest challenge about becoming a flight attendant?" or "What would be the hardest part about relocating?" They will ask about a time you went above and beyond for customer service, and a few other situational questions. Use the STAR method when answering to the best of your ability. I was a bit nervous, but the HR rep helped by asking more questions to get the full answer if I left anything out (STAR = Situation, Task, Action, Resolution). This part is not hard - be excited, be bubbly, be professional, and stay focused on explaining GREAT customer service that you've provided in the past.

After HR you go back to a waiting room. They will pull you out one by one and tell you if you get to move on, or they will ask you to leave. The next round is a group interview. There were about 15 people left in this round. We did a group activity like using the floor of the room as a map of the united states. You are given cards with city names on them, and as a group you map them out. Do not be overbearing, but get involved. Then there is a final panel of questions. They want to get to know you, see how you interact with others, and get a final idea of how you would deal with particular situations. You will spend a lot of time with the other applicants while waiting for call backs and in between interviews. You will feel comfortable with them by the end which is great. My best advice - don't get TOO comfortable. By the end of the 11 hour interview process you may feel it is ok to make jokes, speak out a little more than you should, and get TOO involved in the group activities. Make sure to remain professional. Be as friendly as you can, but it is still an interview. My best advice is to behave like you're in a beauty pageant that only judges on personality... And how you are dressed.

I did not get a call back but I know what my mistakes were in the last round after much reflection (they do not give you feedback). I am glad I went, and now I know exactly what I need to do in my next interview. Remember, it's ok to be nervous, but if you really believe you have the characteristics to be a great flight attendant, you do not have anything to worry about. Just show them who you are, be VERY polite, make friends and have a great time.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a drunk customer demanding more drinks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied online in June 2014. Had a telephone interview in July and was invited to the recruitment/interview session in Los Angeles July 23. The recruitment session requires a full day if completely successful and started promptly at 8AM. About 50 people showed up at the interviewing hotel. Staff was polite and professional. They said they were hiring many flight attendants over the next year, but ironically didn’t hire many people on this day. They spent an hour giving us a video presentation on the company, the flight attendant position, training, benefits, etc. After a ten minute break, we were divided into four groups of a dozen people or so. We were given a 3x5 card with a question on the back and were asked to read the question aloud and answer it to the group. Everyone got a different question. Questions included Tell Us something About You That’s Not On Your Resume, A Time You Witnessed Someone Doing Something Unsafe, A Time You Worked With a Team to Solve a Problem and others. I cant remember the rest. The recruiters said they would compare notes and return in 30-minutes to decide who gets a panel interview. After keeping us waiting longer than promised, a rep from HR returned and named only 5 people who would continue to the panel interview. They thanked the rest of us for coming and said we could re-apply in 6 months. No current or former airline people in my group were considered!I am a former flight attendant for another airlines and wasnt considered either. I thought the interview structure was set up in a way that eliminated perfectly qualified people, and don’t feel I was given a real chance to present myself, my experience, skills and qualifications. I dont see how they can find the candidates they seek with the way the session is set up and the questions they ask. It was a disappointing experience overall and a waste of time, so I don’t think I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a passenger refuses to buckle their seatbelt?   Answer Question

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!