Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

First was the phone interview with the recruiter, then if you pass that you are invited to a group interview. For group interviews you check in. Make sure you fill out all of the paperwork they asked you to complete before showing up. Then there is a power point presentation. It was very easy going. Fun. You can tell everyone enjoys what they do for the company. They split everyone up into groups and have you go into a room with your assigned group. There were 3 people from the company in our room. They go over what the group interview is going to be about. You stand up and introduce yourself and within 60 seconds tell everyone about the job you were or are most dedicated to. They are watching to see how you are in front of a group and talking to people you don't know. They are also looking to see how your speech is. If you say like or um too much thats a big no no. They most of all want to see your personality. After this there is a group activity. They are watching to see how everyone interacts with each other. Who is bossy and takes charge and who is sitting in the corner waiting to be told what to do. You want to be the one who isn't involved with everyone. But you want to help people. Because thats what this job is about. After this there was a on the spot question that you had to read aloud in front of everyone. Don't be the last one to go. You volunteer. I went 3rd. You cant see your question / scenario until you stand up and flip the card over. Remember to be customer service focused. Don't say um, or like. If you need to, you can take a deep breath and think for a second. Always look your interviewers in the eyes. Also look at the group. Don't mess with your hands while talking to everyone, that shows your very nervous. And def don't play with your hair.
    After all of that they let you out on a break and tell you what time be back in the room. They then will call off the names of the people that made it to the one on one interviews. Everyone else is asked to leave the room. After your name is called they hand you an agreement form. They then have you sign and date, you are then assigned your one on one interview time. The one on one I had was with 1 HR person and 2 station managers. They go over every detail of your past work history. You need to add every job you had even if it was just for 2 days. If you received a W2 you need to write it down!
    They then ask you a few questions about what was the most difficult situation you have had with a customer and how did you resolve it. They ask about why you want to be a CSA. They ask what is one thing people misunderstand about you. They ask what was one thing a past employer said you needed to improve and how did you take it?. You need to give real life experiences. DONT LIE! Be honest and be yourself. LOOK ALL OF THEM IN THE EYES! Don't mess around with a ring or your hair. I talk with my hands a lot and I tried to tame it down. ALWAYS answer the question in the end. Just be yourself and you will do great.
    Bring snacks. And keep your energy up.

I hope this helped.

Bring 3 to 4 copies of your resume.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online. Then went through two phone screenings then a skype interview with the team members. Overall it was ok. You get free flights anywhere alaska airlines goes if there is room. Located in Washington I believe.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The team did a great job letting everyone know about the company and job requirements. The group interview was exactly what others have stated. Get there early, smile, be nice and stay alert!
    Alaska Airlines is a fantastic company. I will definitely apply again in the future.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

First contact I received after finishing my application online was an email asking some basic questions a few weeks after I submitted. Are you still interested, would you be able to accept the starting wage, are you in school, etc. They also asked for times I would be available in the coming days for a phone interview. I received an email back a few days later stating when my telephone interview was scheduled.

The telephone interview was also relatively basic. I was called promptly at my scheduled time, and a very cheerful woman was on the other end. She quickly went through the same question in the email to confirm them with me, and then proceeded to the main part of the interview. I was asked why I chose to apply with Alaska, how I dealt with criticism, what I thought the job entailed, etc. The questions seemed geared toward gauging your personality to see if you'd be a good fit in the company. Immediately following the questions, I was invited to attend a hiring event taking place the next week. After accepting, I was sent an email with all the details (time, date, location, forms to fill out, what to bring, etc).

The hiring event started early at a hotel downtown, with the event starting at 8am, and recommendations to arrive at 7:30am for check-in. The room slowly filled with what ended up being about 100 people. Shortly after 8am, employees for the airline (some station managers from various airports, representatives from corporate, and a few CSAs) gave a presentation to give us an overview of what to expect from Alaska, who they are, the atmosphere of working there, and some additional details about the position (pay, benefits, unions, etc). Following the presentation, we were split into five groups, and given a short break before the group interview process.

The group interview ended up being 20 candidates and 2 company representatives. We were asked to introduce ourselves, and each asked a question. Following that, each candidate was given a situation on a piece of paper (and asked to keep it face down until they were called upon) related to customer service outside of the airline industry. Answering questions was on a volunteer basis. A group activity was next, where we were asked to develop a 'curb to curb' experience for customers where cost was not an issue. We were given 10 minutes to complete this task, and then present as a group. After the presentations, we were asked one more question each before being dismissed, and asked to be back in the room 30 minutes later. When we came back, we were told who was making it on the the 1:1 interviews. Everyone who made it on was given an interview time (some right away, some 4+ hours from that time) and told where to meet before hand. For reference, ~30 people made in to this stage.

The 1:1 interview ended up being 1:2, and was a bit more in depth. We went through work history, and asked questions pertaining to it. Following that came questions related to the position. Some of which included what you would do if you noticed a co-worker to accidentally violated safety regulations, how often it was acceptable for an employee to be sick, and what was a common misconception about me. Following the ~45 minute process, I was asked to return to the waiting room to hear my results. About 15 minutes later, I was told my interview was successful and was to be offered a position.

Yes, this was a difficult interview, but if you're both prepared and a good fit for the position, you should do well. If you think about it, those who can end the process still upbeat and enthusiastic at the end of a nerve wracking day of interview should be able to handle the daily stress of an airline.

For some added context, I was applying for a position at one of Alaska's major airports, and they were hiring for between 5 and 10 positions, so the size of the initial group may differ.

Interview Questions
    • See above. Most questions were pretty standard, or standard questions asked in a different way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Group Interview Event at a Hotel. Large group initially, candidates selected to proceed are divided into smaller groups. As candidates succeed through each session, a final number are selected for one on one interviews. At this particular event a male Onboard Supervisor was present and a lead in facilitating the process...seemed somewhat unprofessional, superficial, generally "catty" I guess and priorities seemed off. Overall, I had an uncomfortable feeling through this one event. I was surprised as this Airline's front-line employees I've had contact with have been great, and as a passenger, the airline is always very nice.
    I chose to withdraw from the process at final one-on-one with opportunity to interview at future event without having to wait the standard six months. Since then, I've been recalled from furlough with my original airline.
    I suppose from this one group event, I don't have a very good feeling about lower-level Flight Attendant Management at Alaska. (After meeting the Onboard Sup's at this event). All three seemed less than genuine, kind of "hard-cast". Reminded me of jaded, unsuccessful actors/entertainment industry types with their own agendas :P
    On a more practical note, the starting wage is pretty low and straight reserve with moveable days off is a tough way to work/live.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you went above & beyond to resolve an issue or conflict.   Answer Question

Mostly because the starting wage is low for high-time monthly reserve hours. Straight reserve with moveable days off, and because I would've been required to sign away recall rights with the airline I was on furlough from..if I'd accepted an offer following the final one-on-one.

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Low stress, great communication through the process. Lots of email before and after points interview. Went from a panel of about 40 to 13 after group interviews, cut to 9 after f2f. Team building drills were final exercises. Pick a city you know well...all answers in your hypothetical situational exercise must be very sympathetic v to the drunk flyer, the mean co-worker, the party animals. I survived to the final cut on nothing but minimum qualifications, smiling and charm.

Interview Questions
    • What job were you most loyal to and why?
      Tell us something about you that's not on your resume.

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online, received a phone call after 2 weeks, skype interview 2 weeks after that because I am not around the area. The process is straight-forward and professional; phone interview is a typical screening interview; skype interview was with four people from the team.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer agenda-based or flexible meeting procedures?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Be on point! Smile like there is no tomorrow. Take notes. Pay attention. The company looks great and a lot of people have to apply more than once to get in. So don't give up. There were 75 people in my session. They cut it down to 23. I made the cut. Went to the HR meeting & I think I was so nervous I freaked out & started rambling. KEEP IT SHORT & SWEET. Also be sure to mention volunteer work you've done.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and a week later I received an email to set up a phone interview. The date was set to a week after. I just finished my interview and now waiting to see if I get to go on to the group interview. The interview questions were basic questions. Such as tell me something interesting about yourself, why did you choose us, tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult person, a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer. I feel I didn't do too bad but let's wait and see!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Basically the thing you need to have when you go to the interview is have confidence. And of course a big smile.

The panel is really nice and everyone who was interviewing was really friendly. Just be yourself and be outgoing so that your personality shines! The people who went to the next stage all had something to be remembered for so make you sure you have answers prepared with interesting stories!

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you were on the hiring panel what qualities would you look for in a candidate?   View Answer
    • Something along the lines of - What was the job you were most loyal to and why?   View Answer