Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

I didn't make it past the first exclusion round, but it was all a great experience. We were first informed on more facts about Alaska and what the job entailed and given a chance to meet each other and learn about each other's backgrounds and interests. Then, after being separated into groups, we were asked a series of only 3 questions. One of these questions was answered with a partner (or 2 in some cases). And that's it! Three questions and back to the full group for elimination. We are given another opportunity to talk with other applicants as we wait for the results. I stayed at the hotel for a while longer, it was really fun and interesting to meet others from totally different walks of life with similar interests. Just the fact that all of us are here brings a unity in interests....really cool!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Be on point! Smile like there is no tomorrow. Take notes. Pay attention. The company looks great and a lot of people have to apply more than once to get in. So don't give up. There were 75 people in my session. They cut it down to 23. I made the cut. Went to the HR meeting & I think I was so nervous I freaked out & started rambling. KEEP IT SHORT & SWEET. Also be sure to mention volunteer work you've done.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online 1/16/15
    Received email 1/18/15 to answer questions

1. If hired, do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to relocate* to ANY and EACH one of our 5 domiciles - ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN or LAX (assignments are based on business needs and seniority)?
    **COMMUTING is NOT a viable option; getting a crash pad is acceptable though.

2. Have you had an IN PERSON interview with Alaska Airlines for the Flight Attendant position within the last 6 months?

3. Are you able to attend an interview, if selected, in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Southern California, or Anchorage, AK at YOUR OWN EXPENSE in the next few weeks?

4. WHICH location would you prefer to attend an interview at YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

5. What is the best phone number to reach you during the week?

Notified 1/20/15 that they would like to schedule phone interview
    Phone interview 1/21/15
    1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Why Alaska
    3. Tell about time you went above & beyond for a customer
    4. What do you like least about your job
    Recruiter was so nice, made me feel welcomed, scheduled me for in person interview 1/28/15. The phone interviewer is not at the group interview.

Group interview at 1/28/15 8:00 am
    As people waited, everyone had their smile on & actively spoke to each other. Some really worked the room, making sure to visit with most of the applicants on the other side of the room.
    Showed video talked about the F/A life & Alaska's benefits.
    Split us into groups & different rooms
    Our group had 15-20 people
    Each had to stand up, say first & last name, plus the spelling of our names, then asked "What job have you been most loyal too"
    Then they split us into groups of two, picked a card that has question on it. Situational questions, What do you do if a person doesn't want to wear a seat belt, What if a coworker is rude to a passenger, why should flight attendants be professional, what if a passenger wants you to save a meal & you run out before you get to his row.
    Everyone had great answers, then the interviewers challenged our answers to make us think of a better, different answer, or if were going to stick with our original answer. Interviewers were very nice till this point, then they really pushed. They really picked on some of the people more so than others, which actually felt rude & made the rest of us uncomfortable watching the back & forth relay.
    Then we were each asked to give them one detail that was not on our resume. (A hobby or interest)
    Again, answers were wonderful by all.
    We then were told to break, then meet back in the first room.
    We all took our seats, chatted with our neighbor until spokesperson read the names that were selected. Out of 90 people applying they chose 12-14.
    Not sure what happened in the other rooms, but in the group interview that I was in, only a few were chosen out of our group of 15-18.
    Really hard to say what Alaska was looking for. Dark hair, Asian, Mexican, African American were mostly chosen. Not beautiful/handsome, more of a plain look. Some were kind of frumpy looking. I can say the few from my group were very articulate, but my whole group really was amazing. Many previous flight attendants were NOT chosen. Alaska is funny this way. Maybe they think flight attendant's can't be retrained? I don't know, but I know many that have applied that are outstanding employees, & they don't get chosen.
    There were so many people from all walks of life that flew in from faraway places, on their own dollar, that really thought they had a good chance, they were devastated. Honestly, its too many people in these group interviews. So many should have been able to go to the next step that looked & acted the part but were cut right away. Another disappointment is having to wait another 6 months to reapply, when so many are capable & have the qualifications for this job that were passed over. The recruiters state over & over to reapply, but why state that if you have so many capable applicants there now?

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online. Then went through two phone screenings then a skype interview with the team members. Overall it was ok. You get free flights anywhere alaska airlines goes if there is room. Located in Washington I believe.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The team did a great job letting everyone know about the company and job requirements. The group interview was exactly what others have stated. Get there early, smile, be nice and stay alert!
    Alaska Airlines is a fantastic company. I will definitely apply again in the future.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Here are the questions! Just remember short and sweet and never stop smiling and no need to be nervous! Also, be sure to be honest, it worked for me. The STAR method is a good way to practice answering the questions. Have fun!

Situation: who what where when how
    Task: specific challenges, deadlines, costs
    Action: highlight traits without stating them, initiative, intelligence, leadership
    Result: close with a result quantify if possible

time when went above for customer service:

Why do you want to be an alaska airlines attendant?

Why do you want to leave your job?

What have you done to improve your professional image?

Why do you want to leave your job?

How I've handled difficult situations in the past?
    Angry customer:
    .Drunk customer:
    Non English speaking customer:
    Mean coworker:
    Coworker not working:
    Coworker rude to passenger:
    Coworker or passenger breaking safety regulations:
    Customer and no safety belt time for take off:

What do you find most negative about being on reserve?

how long do you plan on working here?

How do you measure personal accomplishments?

Policy change you weren't made aware of or didn't agree with how did you handle it?

Something not on your resume?

About yourself?

Weakness?

Strength?

How do you deal with stress?

one word that describes what you live for?

. Most challenging part of being a fa?

Give an example of a time you gave a first impression, did they think something that is not true to character?

What do you like least about your job?

What would you do if someone in Coach was demanding an alcoholic beverage before you got to him with the drink cart?

What is a mis conception your friends have of you?

When was the last time you received constructive criticism and why? Who where and when?

Another flight attendant misquotes how many drinks a passenger can have, how do you resolve this without causing tension between you the other fa and the customer?

. If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would you do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn?

Why do you think professionalism is important?

Define professionalism

How my life has shaped me professionally?

What qualities should an AA FA have?

What do you think would be the most challenging part of being a FA?

How have you resolved a conflict with a customer in the past?

What is your impression of a flight attendant reading a magazine on a red eye and the passengers are sleeping?

Explain the most stressful situation you were and how did you handle it?

Tell me about your customer service?

How has your personal life shaped your professional life?

Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?

What could AA provide in their orientation that you knew but wasn't talked about?

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Before getting a face to face interview I went through an interview over the phone which I do believe you need to pass in order to proceed. Basic questions asked on the online application will also be asked.
    ------

The face to face interview was held at a hotel. It was a group interview of about 20 people. A video presentation opened the interview. Employees spoke about the position and its benefits. We were then broken up into 2 groups and assigned to two different rooms.

In the next room we introduced ourselves. We first introduced ourselves then made groups of 3 and were assigned to design our own airline. The next process of the interview we were each given a note card with a situation on the back. You are to read it aloud and determine what you would do in that scenario. They look for presentation, smiling, and your ability to speak to with ease to a customer.

After the three group activities they ask everyone to come back to the room in approximately 20 mins for the results of the continuing candidates. ... They chose 4 people of the group. I was one of the candidates asked to move forward. I was then given at appointment time for a one on one with another set of management.

In that sitting you are asked to answer a few short questions regarding your work history and ask you questions concerning your answers.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you gave a first impression to someone .. Did they think something of you that is not true to character?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online, received a phone call after 2 weeks, skype interview 2 weeks after that because I am not around the area. The process is straight-forward and professional; phone interview is a typical screening interview; skype interview was with four people from the team.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer agenda-based or flexible meeting procedures?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

First contact I received after finishing my application online was an email asking some basic questions a few weeks after I submitted. Are you still interested, would you be able to accept the starting wage, are you in school, etc. They also asked for times I would be available in the coming days for a phone interview. I received an email back a few days later stating when my telephone interview was scheduled.

The telephone interview was also relatively basic. I was called promptly at my scheduled time, and a very cheerful woman was on the other end. She quickly went through the same question in the email to confirm them with me, and then proceeded to the main part of the interview. I was asked why I chose to apply with Alaska, how I dealt with criticism, what I thought the job entailed, etc. The questions seemed geared toward gauging your personality to see if you'd be a good fit in the company. Immediately following the questions, I was invited to attend a hiring event taking place the next week. After accepting, I was sent an email with all the details (time, date, location, forms to fill out, what to bring, etc).

The hiring event started early at a hotel downtown, with the event starting at 8am, and recommendations to arrive at 7:30am for check-in. The room slowly filled with what ended up being about 100 people. Shortly after 8am, employees for the airline (some station managers from various airports, representatives from corporate, and a few CSAs) gave a presentation to give us an overview of what to expect from Alaska, who they are, the atmosphere of working there, and some additional details about the position (pay, benefits, unions, etc). Following the presentation, we were split into five groups, and given a short break before the group interview process.

The group interview ended up being 20 candidates and 2 company representatives. We were asked to introduce ourselves, and each asked a question. Following that, each candidate was given a situation on a piece of paper (and asked to keep it face down until they were called upon) related to customer service outside of the airline industry. Answering questions was on a volunteer basis. A group activity was next, where we were asked to develop a 'curb to curb' experience for customers where cost was not an issue. We were given 10 minutes to complete this task, and then present as a group. After the presentations, we were asked one more question each before being dismissed, and asked to be back in the room 30 minutes later. When we came back, we were told who was making it on the the 1:1 interviews. Everyone who made it on was given an interview time (some right away, some 4+ hours from that time) and told where to meet before hand. For reference, ~30 people made in to this stage.

The 1:1 interview ended up being 1:2, and was a bit more in depth. We went through work history, and asked questions pertaining to it. Following that came questions related to the position. Some of which included what you would do if you noticed a co-worker to accidentally violated safety regulations, how often it was acceptable for an employee to be sick, and what was a common misconception about me. Following the ~45 minute process, I was asked to return to the waiting room to hear my results. About 15 minutes later, I was told my interview was successful and was to be offered a position.

Yes, this was a difficult interview, but if you're both prepared and a good fit for the position, you should do well. If you think about it, those who can end the process still upbeat and enthusiastic at the end of a nerve wracking day of interview should be able to handle the daily stress of an airline.

For some added context, I was applying for a position at one of Alaska's major airports, and they were hiring for between 5 and 10 positions, so the size of the initial group may differ.

Interview Questions
    • See above. Most questions were pretty standard, or standard questions asked in a different way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

I applied online in December 2014. Phone interview 1/28/15 and group interview 2/12/15. The phone interview was pleasant. I was asked the many of the same questions I had already answered on the online application: Have you used tobacco products in the last 6 months? Have you ever applied for a job with us before? The last question I was asked was "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond with customer service?"

The group interview was very much like what others described here. I found the representatives of AK AIR to be very engaging, friendly and likable. In fact, they made me want to be a part of the Alaska Airlines team even more! They made the hour-long overview of the company entertaining and interesting. After the orientation (about 50 of us in a ball room) they divided us up into groups of 12 in smaller rooms. My group was directed to organize ourselves into alphabetical order. Then, starting in that order we were asked to stand, say and spell our first and last names, then tell something interesting about ourselves that is not on our resume, and that no one would assume about us. We did this randomly, "popcorn" style where we just took turns popping up to speak. After that, they handed out cards with questions on one side. We weren't allowed to look at our questions until our turn. Examples of questions: "you are working a flight and one of your co-workers isn't doing their job. How would you handle that?" "After multiple announcements a man refuses to fasten his seat belt, what do you do?" None of the questions were really difficult to answer. I had the feeling they were more concerned with how you handled yourself, public speaking skills and how well you followed directions more that your actual answers. After this interview, we were told to return to the large room while they decided who to select to stay. This took about 30 minutes. Of the 50 people they selected 12 to move on. I was not selected, but I look forward to trying again. We were told that the average is three tries to get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you went above and beyond with customer service.   Answer Question