Alaska Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

CSA Interview

CSA
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Freakish & unethical hiring process. This started when I was called for a "hiring event" with about 30 other people. We are then split into 2 groups after a tiresome company video, endlessly aggrandizing how allegedly wonderful their airline is, as far as work is concerned. The second part is a very disturbing "group interview" where mindless notes are compiled by the "expert" recruitment, while the group is observed like laboratory specimens.

If you're selected for a final "individual interview" after 3-4 hrs. already wasted, you are then brought forth for an uncomfortable, rapid fire questioning section, giving little to no time for clear, personable and non-contrived answers. This to me is an obvious component of candidate pre-selection, and a complete b.s. endeavor.

Finally, the more candidates I spoke, the more I question the genuine objectives of this "event." For example, 2-3 already had experience with the company, and its subsidiary, Horizon, and another person was ever so subtle to reveal that her father "works for Alaska," in another department. Nepotism, anyone? The more I though about this, the more that this reeked of a smokescreen, where pre-selection was in place, while the rest were brought in as "extras" to simulate a legitimate hiring practice.

On a tangential note, we met a hotel board room, and the only complimentary item provided was... water(!). Wow, they really broke the company bank of their multi-million dollar revenue with water, and to not even supply candidates with something a bit more substantial, especially as this was an all-day event.

Interview Question – Why should we hire YOU over the 300 equally talented candidates we've screened?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview is the basics. Went to a hotel to do the in person interviews. Watched a couple movie clips and a HR rep went through a PowerPoint. Then we were split up into three groups which had about 12 peopl in them. The group interview had two employees asking you questions. It was pretty laid back and you were given a situation and had to respond to it on the spot. The face to face interview wasn't bad either. Just asked basic questions and finding out who you are. All of the Alaska employees were awesome and really friendly! They made everyone feel really comfortable in a stressful situation.

Interview Question – Name a time when you were given constructive criticism and how did you react to that?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received email to respond back with a good time to schedule an interview ...completed phone interview and was invited to interview. I flew from North Carolina to Seattle on my own dime and stayed at the marriott hotel where the interview was being held at 258.00/night. I arrived at the orientation type interview well groomed bright eyes and smiled for days(just in my nature) made sure to make eye contact with everyone speaking and who I spoke to. After an hour the group of 82 people were split up into groups. My room had 20 people. We were asked to stand and speak about a job we were passionate about...not to toot my own horn I have great experience with a well known company, excellent reference letters written even by my current supervisor...other younger girls stood and spoke about retail jobs in shoe stores being their passion...that girl was selected for a f2f interview and I was not....sure I provided a resume but I feel my resume got me the phone interview. In MY opinion, I wasn't selected because of my "appearance" . I am not a size 2 with with long flowing hair.... I have curves but I am not by any means overweight. I feel as though I paid almost a thousand dollars to be looked at!!!!!! I feel they should have at least had the courtesy to interview everyone they INVITED to attend this event. It wasn't presented to me as an "open house" or I would not have invested so much to get there. I feel disappointed because I feel I was not given a chance for anyone to get to know me. Also of the 20 people in my group at least 8 of them were current flight attendants or previous flight attendants and they were all selected for f2f interviews.

CSA Interview

CSA
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for the position in April., interviewed in May. Phone screen went great! Went to interview onsite where u watch some videos and then are split into groups. You are asked a scenario question and then challenged on the answer. You are also asked what job in the past you were most passionate about.

Interview Question – they were all pretty simple   View Answer

Stores Supervisory Position Interview

Stores Supervisory Position
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – good and comfortable interview.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – What a joke! Just a numbers game. As previous posters expressed that if you are over 30 forget it. company definitely age discriminates. the CEO should know what goes on with their hiring practice. Then again they don not pay a living wage

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received a brief phone interview, really easy. They asked questions like: tel us about a time you went above and beyond at a job, why did you leave your last position and if I was willing to relocate.

Interview Question – Once I was in the f2f interview they asked questions like: tell us something about yourself that isn't on your resume, what was the job you were most loyal to and why and a lot of customer service questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on line and maybe a week later got a email asking me to respond back about the best way to be reach and what time. Got a phone call the next morning, simple questions and I passed that part. She then sent me an email for a group interview which was being held two days later. Interview was at 8am in a hotel close by San Jose airport with about 50 people there. The panel was about 5 people, one worked there for only two years while another I believe over eleven years. They went over the background of the company and how your time sheet may look. Starting off seems like you get the hours no one wants, starting at 4am. They then split us up into groups which we played games and had to answer questions. At times I felt like it was a comedy contest, guess people thought if I could make them laugh the whole time I'll be hired. After the games and questions they made us wait 25mins to go over who they wanted to keep there for a 1 on 1 interview. Out of all the people there they maybe called about five names including a young man which I have no idea how he got his name called. He couldn't even answer his questions and was joking the whole time. So many different walks of life so I have no idea what they were looking for after they picked him as one. You can apply online for another position but for the same one you have to wait a whole year. In a year I will have another job and if I didn't I wouldn't apply for this airline again. Also you can not smoke cigarettes, you have to be at lease 6months clean of it.

Interview Question – Everybody had different questions. I believe my card asked me what would I do if a customer was short of money by only three dollars. After I answered they then asked me what if she does it all the time, what would I do?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details – Applies online 4/8 received an email with general questions. Waiting for next step.

Interview Question – If hired open to any of our domiciles?   Answer Question

Managing Director of Investor Relations Interview

Managing Director of Investor Relations
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details – I felt the process was highly efficient and very fair. They had a small window where the position was posted and they closed it to applications when they stated. They then took approximately two weeks to reach out and schedule a phone interview. The HR contact took care of the basics (nicotine, drug use, termination history, willingness to relocate) before asking specific questions provided by the hiring team. Her notes were then sent to the team, who then selected in-person candidates. They were quick to follow up and arranged details to fit my schedule. The employees I met were bright, friendly and engaged.

The in person interview was on time, with the appropriate level of interviewers for the role. They were very genuine people and shared their philosophy in addition to trying to learn about me. Overall the entire experience was strongly positive. I ultimately pulled out of the interview process for family reasons, but absent that situation would have continued chasing this job.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult; they were situational and asking specifically about my experience, they weren't "tell me about a time that..." The questions were specific to my role, how I operate within the environment and what I saw as far as their business from the outside. Quite frankly, if you have done basic company research and know your own skill set well, the interview questions won't be an issue.   Answer Question