Alaska Airlines

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and a week later I received an email to set up a phone interview. The date was set to a week after. I just finished my interview and now waiting to see if I get to go on to the group interview. The interview questions were basic questions. Such as tell me something interesting about yourself, why did you choose us, tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult person, a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer. I feel I didn't do too bad but let's wait and see!

IT Systems Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The first interview was over the phone with a recruiter from Alaska Airlines.
    There was also a 3 page essay type questionaire that asked about my personality type, how I handle adversity, why I think I belong at Alaska Airlines, etc. Knowing the company mission statement is helpful when filling this out (google).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a recent experience where you were challenged and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Well, I appreciate the offer and opportunity but I feel like Alaska Airlines needs to come up with a better method on Hiring future candidates because the Hiring Process was really dragging and Long. First I applied online then a few days later I got a call and they asked me a few questions. They email me this questionnaire and I sent it back answered via email then called me for a 15 minute phone interview the next day. After that they let me know I been selected to go to the group interview which was in Milpitas which is a 1 hour or 1 hour 1/2 drive from Oakland Since that's the station I applied for. So Saturday came, got up super early for the interview then headed to the hotel that the group interview was being held at. It was about 50-60 people there dressed very professional. We had to be there by 7:30 am and it wouldn't be over till possibly 4 pm. We got there they explain how the job works and how your hours/benefits will be etc. then we split into 3 groups of 20 people each. We played some tactic games and they ask scenario questions. After that, we go on a 15 minute break and out of 60 people they only wanted 15 people so yes this is a COMPETITION just for the job position itself. Thank god i was 1 of the 15 people.. Then they said come back in 1 hour for the one on one interviews. Came back did my one on one and they ask about EVERY single job you have had and want to know why you left that job and are you still good with the manager etc. Then you have to wait another 15 minutes to see if you have been selected. Honestly, This was the longest interview process I ever been through and the anticipation and anxiety that was build on even trying to get the job was nerve racking. So, if you want this job I say go for it just be ready if you are not chosen because theirs 60 other people competing for the same spot. They just need to find a easier and convenient way to hire people because I am upset at the fact you have to wake up super early to drive out of your city range ( no Bus or Bart is near by) and go there just for them to tell you no or we didn't select you. If you are in school and want to work here either take online classes or find a different job because their hours of operation are not compatible with mothers,students,no vehicle etc. They have 2 shifts 4 am- 10am or 4 pm- 10pm with Mandatory Overtime especially if your new because they go by seniority. I'm just giving heads up for people that simply don't want to waste their time or their chances.

Interview Questions
    • Example: If you did a clients hair and it didn't come out the way she wanted it but she has only 20 minutes left to get her hair done. what do you do?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Everybody came to the hotel very early. I think over 100 applicants came for the group interview.The process was fast. They recruiters were accommodating. Group interview first then hr one on one interview. A lot of people were cut after the group interview. I think the phone screening should be stricter because some people flew all the way to seattle for the interview. Then after 2 or 3 questions they're out.

It was still a good experience though.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Everything said here is exactly dead on. I made flash cards from the questions I read here and every question I heard that day was one of my flash cards. You need to stay energetic the entire time. That is where I think my downfall was. I aced the group interview. After that you meet with a flight attendant and they ask you about your ability to work whenever they want you too etc. Say yes to whatever they ask and stay upbeat. Think about it like this.. Be dumb blonde Taylor Swift happy. I'm dead serious. But try to make it as natural as possible. This applies to guys too. Be silly and happy but make sure whatever you say is professional. Not robotic. After that you meet with HR. This was my killer. They basically go through your work history and ask you why you left each job and are you rehireable. Blah blah... I think I got too serious here and lost my bubblyness and went straight to serious mode. Again they ask you more questions. All of those are also apart of the flashcards. Rehearse your answers to the point where you know them in your sleep. But deliver them as natural as possible. Again be really upbeat.. Match the energy of the interviewers. You are always watched dont forget that. Good luck. And like everyone else says you pay for everything on your own. I flew 5 hours there and back and paid for hotels and all. Make your money count if you go to this event. After the group they cut from about 125 down to 20. After that I'm sure even less. The panel is the final stage. Sorry no info on that. Remember this too. They will tell you to keep your answers down to 60 seconds. Listen. Everyone in my group that went over time did not get a Face to Face. Don't ramble. Short CUTE and sweet

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were frustrated with a co worker and what did you do?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

The interview was intense but so worth it. First I applied online and it took them about 4 weeks to get back to me for a phone interview.

The phone interview was standard ten year work history (describe a time when you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved it). Be honest and concise, don't ramble on even though you're nervous.

Next they invited me to their hiring event in Seatac. The event started at 8 so I arrived at 7:15 sharp (be early!). There were around 60-70 people there by 8. First we had orientation which lasted for about an hour, we watched videos and listened to them talk about the life of a flight attendant. LISTEN and be attentive. Even when you think they are not looking, they are trust me. Smile a lot and be friendly. This part they will tell you everything bad about being a flight attendant, it won't be that bad but they only want dedicated people to stay.

Next they split us up into groups of 10-15 and took us into a smaller room where they had each of us stand up to introduce ourselves and here they just want to hear your voice and see how comfortable you are in front of people since you will be speaking in front of crowds on the planes. Then they handed each of us a card with a question on it and asked us individually to answer it out loud. Again, they are watching how you speak in front of people, not necessarily about the answer. Then after evenly necessarily your answer. Then after everyone had answered their questions they asked us what job we were most loyal to and why. After that they asked us to say a fun fact about us that wouldn't be on our resume, they are looking for something fun that shows your personality, not something you've accomplished.

After that we all went back into the bigger room where they called off our names, if your name was called you were chosen to move on to the next round but if not this was the end of the road for you.

Then they tell you when your individual HR Interview will be and you wait. Mine was at 1:30. The HR interview was pretty standard (are you willing to relocate) YES! name your strengths, your weaknesses. Be energetic and happy, tell them you've already started looking for apartments or crash pads.

Then they pull you aside individually and they tell you whether you made it to the next round or not. The last interview is a panel interview with a group of about 5 or 6 other applicants. Here they really really want to see energy even though you will be exhausted. The first thing you do is a group activity. BE INTERACTIVE AND POLITE. Don't grab from people and don't be bossy. And DO NOT look at the panel. Just have fun and participate. Then they will make it relaxed and ask scenario questions (how would you handle an intoxicated passenger asking for another drink)? Smile smile smile and just be yourself. They can tell when you are being fake. There was one girl in my final group interview who wasn't very nice outside of the interview and didn't okay as a team during the activity and she was the only one not offered a position. But most of all HAVE FUN :)
    wait.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do personally to help Alaska Airlines benefit.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

The best advice I could give someone who is going into the interviews is to make sure you mingle around with everyone and doing that with the biggest smile on your face. If your cheeks are not hurting you are not smiling to much. The company is looking for someone who is outgoing and has a sense of humor.

The interview started at 8. We all had to sign in and then do the reach test. Everyone to my knowledge passed that test. While you are in the room waiting to start the introduction make sure you talk to the people around you. The interviewers want to see how you interact with new surroundings and people. I noticed that some people were just sitting there not talking to anyone and those were the first ones to go. No nicotine is allowed in the company and they stress that. They pretty much ask you to leave and retry in 6 months when you have been free of nicotine.

After the introduction they broke us up into small groups. The first exercise they ask is for you to stand up and spell your first and last name and to answer a question "what job have you been most loyal to and why?" MAKE SURE YOU SMILE while answering the questions. The best advice I could give for this part is to be your self and not to be fake. They can spot the fakes and the people that tried to hard. They are not looking for someone to give gold star answers they are pretty much seeing if you can handle stress and what type person are you. The process is boring for them so if you can add humor to your answer you will most likely move on.

After an hour of waiting we all meet back in the conference room. I want to say about 75 people in all showed up for the interview. They called the names of who moved on and if your name was not called they ask you to leave. I fortunately was one of the 17 people that stayed. They then gave us all times for your face to face interview.

The first part of the face to face you get to have a talk with a FA. This was my favorite because you really get an insight and answers to all your questions you had all bundled up inside. Do not ask dumb questions! you really want to impress the FA because she is the voice to the HR. Next the face to face with the HR. In my opinion, I feel that this was the hardest because the questions they ask and how serious the HR is. I have to say, it was really hard to tell if I was doing a good job or not. Again make sure you have some humor, smile, and be your self. After the interview I thanked her for taking the time to interview me and walked out. I went back into the conference room and waiting. A girl came and called my name again took me to the hallway and told me I am moving on to the panel interview.

As we are waiting in the lobby for the panel we notice they cut more people. The final group was about 11 people who moved on to the final. The panel process is all about team work and how you show your self with a team. They brought in someone high up in the company to come in and interview us. If you don't stand out here you will be cut. The idea for the new person to interview us is because they are looking for people to light up a dull room and if you are the few to stand out they will ask you to move on. We did some more questions and team activities. The panel was done with us and told us to wait in the lobby.

After waiting for 2 hours we were called into the room. They cut the people in the beginning and the ones who they wanted got to stay. I was offered the job and accepted with 6 other people.

More advice! make sure to do your research. I have to say this website gave me lots of insight and what to expect. Smile smile smile and don't stop. During the end of the day it gets harder because you are exhausted and hungry but its worth it if you make it to the end. The whole process was fairly easy but honestly I met some people who bought a plan ticket just for this and were sent home. Not sure it would be worth it to spend that kinda money and not know if you will make it or not.

Interview Questions
    • explain the most stressful situation you were in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Basically the thing you need to have when you go to the interview is have confidence. And of course a big smile.

The panel is really nice and everyone who was interviewing was really friendly. Just be yourself and be outgoing so that your personality shines! The people who went to the next stage all had something to be remembered for so make you sure you have answers prepared with interesting stories!

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you were on the hiring panel what qualities would you look for in a candidate?   View Answer
    • Something along the lines of - What was the job you were most loyal to and why?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Submitted online application. Was contacted for phone interview. Offered a F2F interview in San Diego. Had to pay own expenses to get there. Started with meet and greet, then group interviews. Passed to individual interviews with HR then was dismissed with no explanation why. There were about 70 candidates in the conference room to begin with. We had plenty of time to get acquainted with each other. Then the recruiters did a presentation about the Airline before breaking us up into groups. I was asked several different ways if I would be willing to relocate and to which base I would prefer. Although I told them I would be willing to relocate to any base they felt needed my assistance, they pressed for a specific answer. I said SEA. When I was dismissed after 1 on 1 interviews, I was dumbfounded because I am so qualified and ready to fly! I stayed behind and spoke to the finalists who made it to the next round hoping to figure out where I went wrong. The common answer among them was they said they would request ANK because that is where Alaska airlines roots are. Dont know if that made the difference or not.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel would be most challenging part of being a FA?   View Answer
    • Was asked in depth about my resume and why I left previous jobs.   Answer Question