Alaska Airlines

Average Difficulty
77 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – I passed the phone interview with no problem. I was asked to come in 2 days later for a group interview. I would say there were about 60 of us. Flight Attendants did a rah rah talk with us then we watched a movie and a Flight Attendant told us how hard it would be to be on reserve. Another Flight Attendant stepped up and told us about benefits and how great they are. Eventually we were split in to 4 groups and sent to different rooms. You take turns saying your name and what job you were most loyal to. They give you one question to answer and then explain that they are going in another room for 20 minutes to decide who gets to move on. They also tell you they know the process isn't perfect and you can try again in 1 year if your name is not called. Another person steps in and calls the names, also states the process is not perfect, and tells you to apply again in 1 year. About 8 names were called out of the 30 in the room. Almost all men. You are not allowed to ask for feedback, which I understand. To me it was a pretty unprofessional process. There were people who spent quite a bit of money to fly across country for the interview. Alaska could at least afford everyone a few minutes of a one on one. Maybe a better phone screening could narrow it down. I had great references and a great work background. I was even asked if I was an Alaska Airlines plant put in the group to observe. I wish I could give a hint as to what they were looking for. It seems to be whether the 2 people asking you 1 question get a good vibe from you. The Flight Attendants were all dressed professionally and looked great. I was surprised at how unprofessional the HR people dressed.

Interview Question – No difficult question   Answer Question

Interviewed at Alaska Airlines

Interview Details – I applied with Alaska in the beginning of January and received an email the later part of January informing me they were reviewing all applications. In the middle of March I received an email asking me to complete a few questions and return the email. The next day I heard back letting me know I would have my phone interview at a specific date and time.

Interview Question – not knowing what to expect during the phone interview.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details – They will call you for a phone interview. Just be prepared that they will ask if you are willing to relocate to any base Alaska has. Just remember that you don't have to stay there. Min. time at a different base is usually 4-5 months. Then you can commute to that city for free on Alaska Airlines or other partner airlines

Interview Question – I think most of the questions in the interview are on the web, but just remember they are looking for something you do to stand out. So think of something you do that is different then other people. Remember to be polite but in-charge. Know what is right and what is wrong.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – Group interview with far too many interviewees invited and not enough interaction to be able to fairly evaluate individual applicants.
As previous reviewers have noted, you first get a phone call interview. If that goes well, you are invited to a group interview. The group interview I went to had so many people (between 50 and 65 is my guess) that we were split into three groups.
I've never been in a group interview and I will never go to another one. After watching two movies about Alaska, there was an explanation of what the job entails and how you will be working most weekends and holidays given to us by actual employees. Kudos to the company and the employees for an honest presentation of what work life would be like. Actually it was more work than life because with the crazy hours you would work, you wouldn't have much of a life. They even explained how you would spend holidays working but it's not bad because you spend it with your work family. You even get to have Thanksgiving dinner with your Alaska family. Kudos again for blunt honesty.
Then came the group interview part. As I said, I have never been in a group interview before. Neither had most of the others I spoke to at the interview. If you are a good performer, an actor or the kind of personality that likes to be in the spotlight, then a group interview is for you.
After four hours playing several different scenarios in the group interviews, the interviewers excused themselves for 20 minutes (which ended up being 45 minutes) to come back and announce who would go on to the one-on-one interview. If you have ever watched American Idol, it is just like the part of AI where they put a hundred or so people into different rooms and then let them know they are losers. Out of the 50 to 65 people being interviewed, they were only looking to hire three or four people. So the vast majority of us were sent home.
I personally do not appreciate my time being wasted as it was. I left with a very bad taste in my mouth for Alaska Airlines after this, just to be honest.
The one-on-one interviews were after we played the group interview games, so the interviewers had no idea what most of us could bring to Alaska. Several of the people doing the interviewing were very new to Alaska (one guy had a year and another woman had maybe two years) and none were from HR; the whole process seemed very unprofessional to me.
Unless you want to get experience in group interviews, I would not recommend going through the process. I do not think it is right to invite a person to a job interview where they have a five percent chance of getting the job. Or at least be upfront about that in the initial phone interview.
Please note, I rated the interview process as difficult not because the interview was difficult but because the process itself is geared toward a very specific type of person. What type, I don't know. When you have over fifty people not qualified for a job, it's not the applicants. It's the process. I would recommend screening people more closely in the phone interview instead of inviting a large quantity of people to an interview when you only have a few slots available.

Interview Question – We were given scenarios to read to the group and then explain how we would handle the situation. Then one of the interviewers would challenge your answer.   View Answer

Yield Analyst Interview

Yield Analyst
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – The HR Recruiting Coordinator gave me a phone interview on Dec 31, 2013. She went over basic questions (e.g. describe a situation that you need to work on your own/ describe a situation that you need to walk the extra mile). She's very friendly, but I don't think the questions are relevant to the job requirements.

She could have asked me "Why should we hire you but nobody else", or "What make you think that you are the best candidate". Now these questions give me more room to elaborate my strengths.

After a 30-mins interview, she said I will hear decisions in January 2014 before hanging up. However, now it's March 1st, and I have yet heard any reply.

This job was opened for multiple level (Yield Analyst I, II or Senior), so I am not surprised that I didn't make to second interview. It is very tough to impress the HR if you are a fresh graduate.

Interview Question – What is your expected salary? I did NOT expect her asking me this question right at the beginning of my phone interview   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview, Followed by an in person group interview, then a one on one interview and finally a panel interview with the final few people.

Interview Question – The phone interview is basic and easy questions. The group interviews last question "tell us a few things about you that we couldn't know by reading your resume."   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Be committed to staying at this interview the entire day. I was there all day, passed all the rounds, and still wasn't offered a position. I do look at the bright side, because I did make it to the end out of nearly 100 people who were also going for that position. I can understand one's frustrations with being there for over 10 hours and not being offered anything; but to me the experience and all the people I met made it worthwhile. It was honestly one of the most fun interviews I've ever experienced and it's just a shame that I have to wait a year from the time I applied to reapply. First, there's a presentation about the company and they are pretty thorough with explaining everything and they are 100% honest with the lack of pay, high expectations for training, and the reserve scheduling. Then, you move onto a large group interview with about 12-15 people and we just went around the room and told them our names and answered what job have we been most loyal to and why do we think we were loyal to that job. They are looking for sincerity and honesty in this answer. I cracked a joke, which was pretty risky, but it got me past the first round. Next, you get to 1:1 interview with a flight attendant, and there aren't any huge expectations with that and it allows you to ask a flight attendant about their career and they like answering your questions. Then, you get a 1:1 with HR and they ask about your job history, your work habits, if you're willing to relocate, which base would you like to relocate too (this is a trick question, do not pick a specific base. They want to see if you're open minded to any base, even Anchorage.) Just smile, be friendly, look them in the eye, and be confident that you're the one they need for their company. If you make it past that you get to go on to the final round which is a panel in front of a flight attendant, HR recruiter, and a base manager and it's honestly just like one huge discussion and they just want to see your involvement and see if you're a team player.
After that they make drastic cuts. Majority of the people from the panel will get cut, I think only 4 out of the final 15 got selected from my interview group.

Interview Question – What is your impression of a fellow flight attendant reading a magazine on a red eye flight and the passengers are sleeping?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – One onsite interview with hiring manager and HR person. One week after a technical interview with peers.

Interview Question – A typical question about figuring out the shortest angle of a clock.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in-person HR interview, then technical interview. Management seemed set on truly finding good people. The techies I think came across as defensive of their fiefdom and so at the end of that interview I was getting the feeling I might be a threat(?). I'm not sure. I think perhaps a better approach to getting in the door here might be through a contract gig.

Interview Question – None were that difficult - trouble understanding their heavy foreign accents during the interview. How many times can a guy say, "Could you repeat that?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was not exactly for the position applied for.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited to attend a group interview, after being there from 9-5 and two group interviews and two rounds of 1-1 interviews, I was offered the position. Traning was in seattle

Interview Question – Are you willing to work mandatory OT, holidays and weekends   View Answer