Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

The team did a great job letting everyone know about the company and job requirements. The group interview was exactly what others have stated. Get there early, smile, be nice and stay alert!
    Alaska Airlines is a fantastic company. I will definitely apply again in the future.

Financial Analyst, Financial Planning and Analysis Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call after 2 weeks, skype interview 2 weeks after that because I am not around the area. The process is straight-forward and professional; phone interview is a typical screening interview; skype interview was with four people from the team.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer agenda-based or flexible meeting procedures?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

Before getting a face to face interview I went through an interview over the phone which I do believe you need to pass in order to proceed. Basic questions asked on the online application will also be asked.
    ------

The face to face interview was held at a hotel. It was a group interview of about 20 people. A video presentation opened the interview. Employees spoke about the position and its benefits. We were then broken up into 2 groups and assigned to two different rooms.

In the next room we introduced ourselves. We first introduced ourselves then made groups of 3 and were assigned to design our own airline. The next process of the interview we were each given a note card with a situation on the back. You are to read it aloud and determine what you would do in that scenario. They look for presentation, smiling, and your ability to speak to with ease to a customer.

After the three group activities they ask everyone to come back to the room in approximately 20 mins for the results of the continuing candidates. ... They chose 4 people of the group. I was one of the candidates asked to move forward. I was then given at appointment time for a one on one with another set of management.

In that sitting you are asked to answer a few short questions regarding your work history and ask you questions concerning your answers.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you gave a first impression to someone .. Did they think something of you that is not true to character?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

First contact I received after finishing my application online was an email asking some basic questions a few weeks after I submitted. Are you still interested, would you be able to accept the starting wage, are you in school, etc. They also asked for times I would be available in the coming days for a phone interview. I received an email back a few days later stating when my telephone interview was scheduled.

The telephone interview was also relatively basic. I was called promptly at my scheduled time, and a very cheerful woman was on the other end. She quickly went through the same question in the email to confirm them with me, and then proceeded to the main part of the interview. I was asked why I chose to apply with Alaska, how I dealt with criticism, what I thought the job entailed, etc. The questions seemed geared toward gauging your personality to see if you'd be a good fit in the company. Immediately following the questions, I was invited to attend a hiring event taking place the next week. After accepting, I was sent an email with all the details (time, date, location, forms to fill out, what to bring, etc).

The hiring event started early at a hotel downtown, with the event starting at 8am, and recommendations to arrive at 7:30am for check-in. The room slowly filled with what ended up being about 100 people. Shortly after 8am, employees for the airline (some station managers from various airports, representatives from corporate, and a few CSAs) gave a presentation to give us an overview of what to expect from Alaska, who they are, the atmosphere of working there, and some additional details about the position (pay, benefits, unions, etc). Following the presentation, we were split into five groups, and given a short break before the group interview process.

The group interview ended up being 20 candidates and 2 company representatives. We were asked to introduce ourselves, and each asked a question. Following that, each candidate was given a situation on a piece of paper (and asked to keep it face down until they were called upon) related to customer service outside of the airline industry. Answering questions was on a volunteer basis. A group activity was next, where we were asked to develop a 'curb to curb' experience for customers where cost was not an issue. We were given 10 minutes to complete this task, and then present as a group. After the presentations, we were asked one more question each before being dismissed, and asked to be back in the room 30 minutes later. When we came back, we were told who was making it on the the 1:1 interviews. Everyone who made it on was given an interview time (some right away, some 4+ hours from that time) and told where to meet before hand. For reference, ~30 people made in to this stage.

The 1:1 interview ended up being 1:2, and was a bit more in depth. We went through work history, and asked questions pertaining to it. Following that came questions related to the position. Some of which included what you would do if you noticed a co-worker to accidentally violated safety regulations, how often it was acceptable for an employee to be sick, and what was a common misconception about me. Following the ~45 minute process, I was asked to return to the waiting room to hear my results. About 15 minutes later, I was told my interview was successful and was to be offered a position.

Yes, this was a difficult interview, but if you're both prepared and a good fit for the position, you should do well. If you think about it, those who can end the process still upbeat and enthusiastic at the end of a nerve wracking day of interview should be able to handle the daily stress of an airline.

For some added context, I was applying for a position at one of Alaska's major airports, and they were hiring for between 5 and 10 positions, so the size of the initial group may differ.

Interview Questions

• See above. Most questions were pretty standard, or standard questions asked in a different way.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online in December 2014. Phone interview 1/28/15 and group interview 2/12/15. The phone interview was pleasant. I was asked the many of the same questions I had already answered on the online application: Have you used tobacco products in the last 6 months? Have you ever applied for a job with us before? The last question I was asked was "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond with customer service?"

The group interview was very much like what others described here. I found the representatives of AK AIR to be very engaging, friendly and likable. In fact, they made me want to be a part of the Alaska Airlines team even more! They made the hour-long overview of the company entertaining and interesting. After the orientation (about 50 of us in a ball room) they divided us up into groups of 12 in smaller rooms. My group was directed to organize ourselves into alphabetical order. Then, starting in that order we were asked to stand, say and spell our first and last names, then tell something interesting about ourselves that is not on our resume, and that no one would assume about us. We did this randomly, "popcorn" style where we just took turns popping up to speak. After that, they handed out cards with questions on one side. We weren't allowed to look at our questions until our turn. Examples of questions: "you are working a flight and one of your co-workers isn't doing their job. How would you handle that?" "After multiple announcements a man refuses to fasten his seat belt, what do you do?" None of the questions were really difficult to answer. I had the feeling they were more concerned with how you handled yourself, public speaking skills and how well you followed directions more that your actual answers. After this interview, we were told to return to the large room while they decided who to select to stay. This took about 30 minutes. Of the 50 people they selected 12 to move on. I was not selected, but I look forward to trying again. We were told that the average is three tries to get hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went above and beyond with customer service.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

I applied online and a week later I received an email to set up a phone interview. The date was set to a week after. I just finished my interview and now waiting to see if I get to go on to the group interview. The interview questions were basic questions. Such as tell me something interesting about yourself, why did you choose us, tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult person, a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer. I feel I didn't do too bad but let's wait and see!

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK) in February 2015.

Interview

Low stress, great communication through the process. Lots of email before and after points interview. Went from a panel of about 40 to 13 after group interviews, cut to 9 after f2f. Team building drills were final exercises. Pick a city you know well...all answers in your hypothetical situational exercise must be very sympathetic v to the drunk flyer, the mean co-worker, the party animals. I survived to the final cut on nothing but minimum qualifications, smiling and charm.

Interview Questions

• What job were you most loyal to and why?
      Tell us something about you that's not on your resume.

Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Milpitas, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Well, I appreciate the offer and opportunity but I feel like Alaska Airlines needs to come up with a better method on Hiring future candidates because the Hiring Process was really dragging and Long. First I applied online then a few days later I got a call and they asked me a few questions. They email me this questionnaire and I sent it back answered via email then called me for a 15 minute phone interview the next day. After that they let me know I been selected to go to the group interview which was in Milpitas which is a 1 hour or 1 hour 1/2 drive from Oakland Since that's the station I applied for. So Saturday came, got up super early for the interview then headed to the hotel that the group interview was being held at. It was about 50-60 people there dressed very professional. We had to be there by 7:30 am and it wouldn't be over till possibly 4 pm. We got there they explain how the job works and how your hours/benefits will be etc. then we split into 3 groups of 20 people each. We played some tactic games and they ask scenario questions. After that, we go on a 15 minute break and out of 60 people they only wanted 15 people so yes this is a COMPETITION just for the job position itself. Thank god i was 1 of the 15 people.. Then they said come back in 1 hour for the one on one interviews. Came back did my one on one and they ask about EVERY single job you have had and want to know why you left that job and are you still good with the manager etc. Then you have to wait another 15 minutes to see if you have been selected. Honestly, This was the longest interview process I ever been through and the anticipation and anxiety that was build on even trying to get the job was nerve racking. So, if you want this job I say go for it just be ready if you are not chosen because theirs 60 other people competing for the same spot. They just need to find a easier and convenient way to hire people because I am upset at the fact you have to wake up super early to drive out of your city range ( no Bus or Bart is near by) and go there just for them to tell you no or we didn't select you. If you are in school and want to work here either take online classes or find a different job because their hours of operation are not compatible with mothers,students,no vehicle etc. They have 2 shifts 4 am- 10am or 4 pm- 10pm with Mandatory Overtime especially if your new because they go by seniority. I'm just giving heads up for people that simply don't want to waste their time or their chances.

Interview Questions

• Example: If you did a clients hair and it didn't come out the way she wanted it but she has only 20 minutes left to get her hair done. what do you do?   Answer Question

IT Systems Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with a recruiter from Alaska Airlines.
    There was also a 3 page essay type questionaire that asked about my personality type, how I handle adversity, why I think I belong at Alaska Airlines, etc. Knowing the company mission statement is helpful when filling this out (google).

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a recent experience where you were challenged and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online February 6 2015, and received a phone interview on the 20th. The process went fairly quick. The phone call involved talking about my work history. I have yet to attend the face to face. I look forward to going.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to improve your professional image?   Answer Question