Alaska Airlines

Average Difficulty
77 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited to attend a group interview, after being there from 9-5 and two group interviews and two rounds of 1-1 interviews, I was offered the position. Traning was in seattle

Interview Question – Are you willing to work mandatory OT, holidays and weekends   View Answer

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist
Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2013.

Interview Details – Good interview. Nice polite people but not a good fit for me

Yield Analyst Interview

Yield Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details – About a month after submitting my resume to the company's web site, I received a call from a recruiter asking to schedule a time to go over basic pre-screening questions. I did well and was invited to come in for a final interview at the company's headquarters, which consisted of a 60-minute math/revenue management test (essentially Alaska was too lazy to make its own exam so they stole this assessment from JetBlue after hiring a manager from such company, not very professional at all), a 30-minute interview with an HR Specialist and the Director of RM/Pricing, and then another 30-minute round with three managers from RM/Pricing. Overall, the hiring team wasn't very nice, and I got the feeling they didn't want to be there. Also, none of them seemed to be particularly bright and at Alaska, you quickly learn that hard work and merit doesn't count for anything, and often, the least talented members of a given department are promote simply because either they are attractive or good friends with senior management.

Two weeks later, I received an offer, which I accepted because I had nothing else, but I was shocked at how little the company paid and there was no room for negotiation.

Interview Question – How many balls would be needed to fill a Boeing 737 aircraft? This was a very unintelligent question considering that Alaska operates several versions of the 737 and when I asked which version, it took nearly a minute for one of the managers to respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room to negotiate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in October 2013.

Interview Details – After an online application, I received an email from a woman with Alaska airlines asking the following questions--
1. Are you willing to accept full-time work, working 30-40 hours per week?
2. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.21 per hour ?
3. Do you have at least two years of customer service/ community service experience?
4. Are you at least 18 years of age and authorized to work in the US?
5. Do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to work any schedule (mornings, nights, weekdays, weekends, and holidays)?
6. Are you currently working or attending school?
7. What is the best phone number to reach you?
What is the best day and time of day to reach you this week between 7:00 am – 4:00 pm PACIFIC TIME?

Next, you receive an email scheduling a phone interview where they ask you the usual interview questions "why Alaska airlines?" and "tell me about a time when you handled a difficult situation?"
After you pass the phone interview, they schedule you to attend a group interview. My group had about 50 people. You then watch two movies. The first 10 minute one is about how the current employees love their jobs and flight benefits. The second video is about company integrity, that sort of thing. They then go over company benefits, pay, hours and have a few employees model the uniforms for the group.

You are then broken into two groups for the interview. We were each given a slip of paper with a "difficult" scenario on it and had to stand and explain how we would handle the situation. Next, we were ask who our favorite famous person was and why? Then they had us stand and talk individually about our favorite job. Lastly, we were broken up into groups of five and were ask to design a new curb to curb service, then explain it to the whole group. They send you into the hallway while they decide who has made it to the one on one interviews. The names are called out and the rest are excused to go home. Like other people on this site mentioned, the people they picked were very pretty(Barbie/Ken doll like) people who were in their 20's. They did include one older gentleman who had an airline background. I felt like I answered the questions exceptionally well, but did not meet whatever criteria they were looking for.

Interview Question – One of the things they ask you is, are you able to be flown to a week of training in Seattle? (They put you in a hotel and handle flight arrangements.)   Answer Question

Intern for Airport Services Interview

Intern for Airport Services
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2013.

Interview Details – Tell me about your self. Why you want to work for AS. Tell me about your project experience

Interview Question – Have you used any tobacco products in the last 6 monthsi?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. Interns get a set hourly salary

Manager Interview

Manager
SeaTac, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details – You go through the interview process, they get your hopes up, then they decide to promote from within. Very frustrating.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   View Answer

IT Training Manager Interview

IT Training Manager
SeaTac, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screening interview, in person interview with hiring manager, interview by peer panel. Initial interview is brief one on one with an HR Generalist. Interview with hiring manager and peer panel, HR person is present for all.

Interview Questions

• First ten minutes in the building an HR Generalist went through resume asking for each job in the past ten years, would this employer rehire you, were you ever disciplined for behavior issues? how much notice did you give when you left? This takes place in a public area where others are meeting, then again the same questioning is done in front of the hiring manager. Whatever you do, DO NOT joke or use humor. They take this very seriously in a negative way.   View Answer
  • Do you use nicotine in any form?
    No interviews for any nicotine use, drug test to confirm. Even an occasional cigar will get you booted out of consideration!
      Answer Question

Operations Agent Interview

Operations Agent
Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2009.

Interview Details – 3 Interviews, although questions are similar, are asked by different person.

Interview Question – How will you respond to a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Flight Attendant

Interviewed at Alaska Airlines

Interview Details – Applied online then received an email with further questions. Basic stuff. After the email a recruiter from Ronstadt Staffing and Recruiting called me for a phone interview. From there we scheduled my going to the group interview. There was a presentation then we had the group interviews. 17 people went in 3 got to go on to one on ones.

Interview Question – Another flight attendant misquotes how many drinks a customer can have, how do you resolve this without causing tension between your self, the other attendant and the customers?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to attend a group interview today with this company. First, you watch a couple of films and some current employees speak about their jobs. I noticed that all the more mature people had MANY years of experience, which meant they were hired as young people. Being on of the more mature people in the room, I was a little concerned. Justifiably so, as it turned out

We were told that while Alaska is a family oriented company but that for this position, you are required to work full time, for the summer months on all holidays and weekends. Either an 8hr a day shift, with 2 midweek days off or a 10hr shift, with 3 mid week days off. If something irregular occured during your shift, you were kind of required to stay and help them deal. They schedule 24/7 and some shifts were graveyard. This company highly regards seniority. So, as long as you were last hired, you are low man for time off and most everything else.

The flight benefits sound great. An employee is eligble after 60 days. For a 3 month employment, I say hmmm. Also, I asked the phone interview lady if this ever translated to regular and not temp emp[loyment . she gave an absolute YESSS, all the time. The Alaska people said,Um,NO.rarely. A girl in the lobby, who did get the one on one interview, said she was refered by 2 current customer services agents that had been hired temp the previous year and never left. So, I don't know what the truth really is.

You are divided into groups. Then you are given a question to answer as a team. I think they just want to see how you articulate. There are no wrong answers, which is so obviously not true. Think of yourself in an airport and how the employee handled your issue..Did they hold the plane for you? Did they right a mistake? That should lead you to an answer. I felt I did pretty well. They also ask you to tell them something about yourself that you wouldn't find on your resume.

We were then let go and told to come back in half an hour. We all did and then waited another half an hour. They came back and read the names of the popele would made it to the next round. They were all the prettiest people in the room, as well as all very young. Some had performed well and some had not, frankly. One of the girls had very little experience and was dresed very unprofessionally nor was she particularly well spoken.

If you know someone who will refer you, are good looking and willing to be molded by the company, go for it! If you are above 30 with a wealth of experience, I say don't bother. It seemed to me, by observance, that they don't want to break you of any bad habits you may have obtained along the way. They want to train you their way and hope that you will stay a long time.

All that said, I was sorry not have been given a chance. Seems like a great company and I could have brought a lot to the table. Just too bad I am not 25, I would have killed it.

Interview Question – Tell us something about yourself that is not on your resume. All the group questions were typical customer service scenarios. If you were a waiter and your customer had a bad meal..If you were a hairdresser and gave a bad haircut, etc   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Alaska Airlines