Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

I received a brief phone interview, really easy. They asked questions like: tel us about a time you went above and beyond at a job, why did you leave your last position and if I was willing to relocate.

Interview Questions
    • Once I was in the f2f interview they asked questions like: tell us something about yourself that isn't on your resume, what was the job you were most loyal to and why and a lot of customer service questions.   Answer Question

Stores Supervisory Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

good and comfortable interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied with Alaska in the beginning of January and received an email the later part of January informing me they were reviewing all applications. In the middle of March I received an email asking me to complete a few questions and return the email. The next day I heard back letting me know I would have my phone interview at a specific date and time.

Interview Questions
    • not knowing what to expect during the phone interview.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

What a joke! Just a numbers game. As previous posters expressed that if you are over 30 forget it. company definitely age discriminates. the CEO should know what goes on with their hiring practice. Then again they don not pay a living wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

I passed the phone interview with no problem. I was asked to come in 2 days later for a group interview. I would say there were about 60 of us. Flight Attendants did a rah rah talk with us then we watched a movie and a Flight Attendant told us how hard it would be to be on reserve. Another Flight Attendant stepped up and told us about benefits and how great they are. Eventually we were split in to 4 groups and sent to different rooms. You take turns saying your name and what job you were most loyal to. They give you one question to answer and then explain that they are going in another room for 20 minutes to decide who gets to move on. They also tell you they know the process isn't perfect and you can try again in 1 year if your name is not called. Another person steps in and calls the names, also states the process is not perfect, and tells you to apply again in 1 year. About 8 names were called out of the 30 in the room. Almost all men. You are not allowed to ask for feedback, which I understand. To me it was a pretty unprofessional process. There were people who spent quite a bit of money to fly across country for the interview. Alaska could at least afford everyone a few minutes of a one on one. Maybe a better phone screening could narrow it down. I had great references and a great work background. I was even asked if I was an Alaska Airlines plant put in the group to observe. I wish I could give a hint as to what they were looking for. It seems to be whether the 2 people asking you 1 question get a good vibe from you. The Flight Attendants were all dressed professionally and looked great. I was surprised at how unprofessional the HR people dressed.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Applied on line and maybe a week later got a email asking me to respond back about the best way to be reach and what time. Got a phone call the next morning, simple questions and I passed that part. She then sent me an email for a group interview which was being held two days later. Interview was at 8am in a hotel close by San Jose airport with about 50 people there. The panel was about 5 people, one worked there for only two years while another I believe over eleven years. They went over the background of the company and how your time sheet may look. Starting off seems like you get the hours no one wants, starting at 4am. They then split us up into groups which we played games and had to answer questions. At times I felt like it was a comedy contest, guess people thought if I could make them laugh the whole time I'll be hired. After the games and questions they made us wait 25mins to go over who they wanted to keep there for a 1 on 1 interview. Out of all the people there they maybe called about five names including a young man which I have no idea how he got his name called. He couldn't even answer his questions and was joking the whole time. So many different walks of life so I have no idea what they were looking for after they picked him as one. You can apply online for another position but for the same one you have to wait a whole year. In a year I will have another job and if I didn't I wouldn't apply for this airline again. Also you can not smoke cigarettes, you have to be at lease 6months clean of it.

Interview Questions
    • Everybody had different questions. I believe my card asked me what would I do if a customer was short of money by only three dollars. After I answered they then asked me what if she does it all the time, what would I do?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Group interview with far too many interviewees invited and not enough interaction to be able to fairly evaluate individual applicants.
    As previous reviewers have noted, you first get a phone call interview. If that goes well, you are invited to a group interview. The group interview I went to had so many people (between 50 and 65 is my guess) that we were split into three groups.
    I've never been in a group interview and I will never go to another one. After watching two movies about Alaska, there was an explanation of what the job entails and how you will be working most weekends and holidays given to us by actual employees. Kudos to the company and the employees for an honest presentation of what work life would be like. Actually it was more work than life because with the crazy hours you would work, you wouldn't have much of a life. They even explained how you would spend holidays working but it's not bad because you spend it with your work family. You even get to have Thanksgiving dinner with your Alaska family. Kudos again for blunt honesty.
    Then came the group interview part. As I said, I have never been in a group interview before. Neither had most of the others I spoke to at the interview. If you are a good performer, an actor or the kind of personality that likes to be in the spotlight, then a group interview is for you.
    After four hours playing several different scenarios in the group interviews, the interviewers excused themselves for 20 minutes (which ended up being 45 minutes) to come back and announce who would go on to the one-on-one interview. If you have ever watched American Idol, it is just like the part of AI where they put a hundred or so people into different rooms and then let them know they are losers. Out of the 50 to 65 people being interviewed, they were only looking to hire three or four people. So the vast majority of us were sent home.
    I personally do not appreciate my time being wasted as it was. I left with a very bad taste in my mouth for Alaska Airlines after this, just to be honest.
    The one-on-one interviews were after we played the group interview games, so the interviewers had no idea what most of us could bring to Alaska. Several of the people doing the interviewing were very new to Alaska (one guy had a year and another woman had maybe two years) and none were from HR; the whole process seemed very unprofessional to me.
    Unless you want to get experience in group interviews, I would not recommend going through the process. I do not think it is right to invite a person to a job interview where they have a five percent chance of getting the job. Or at least be upfront about that in the initial phone interview.
    Please note, I rated the interview process as difficult not because the interview was difficult but because the process itself is geared toward a very specific type of person. What type, I don't know. When you have over fifty people not qualified for a job, it's not the applicants. It's the process. I would recommend screening people more closely in the phone interview instead of inviting a large quantity of people to an interview when you only have a few slots available.

Interview Questions
    • We were given scenarios to read to the group and then explain how we would handle the situation. Then one of the interviewers would challenge your answer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

Be committed to staying at this interview the entire day. I was there all day, passed all the rounds, and still wasn't offered a position. I do look at the bright side, because I did make it to the end out of nearly 100 people who were also going for that position. I can understand one's frustrations with being there for over 10 hours and not being offered anything; but to me the experience and all the people I met made it worthwhile. It was honestly one of the most fun interviews I've ever experienced and it's just a shame that I have to wait a year from the time I applied to reapply. First, there's a presentation about the company and they are pretty thorough with explaining everything and they are 100% honest with the lack of pay, high expectations for training, and the reserve scheduling. Then, you move onto a large group interview with about 12-15 people and we just went around the room and told them our names and answered what job have we been most loyal to and why do we think we were loyal to that job. They are looking for sincerity and honesty in this answer. I cracked a joke, which was pretty risky, but it got me past the first round. Next, you get to 1:1 interview with a flight attendant, and there aren't any huge expectations with that and it allows you to ask a flight attendant about their career and they like answering your questions. Then, you get a 1:1 with HR and they ask about your job history, your work habits, if you're willing to relocate, which base would you like to relocate too (this is a trick question, do not pick a specific base. They want to see if you're open minded to any base, even Anchorage.) Just smile, be friendly, look them in the eye, and be confident that you're the one they need for their company. If you make it past that you get to go on to the final round which is a panel in front of a flight attendant, HR recruiter, and a base manager and it's honestly just like one huge discussion and they just want to see your involvement and see if you're a team player.
    After that they make drastic cuts. Majority of the people from the panel will get cut, I think only 4 out of the final 15 got selected from my interview group.

Interview Questions
    • What is your impression of a fellow flight attendant reading a magazine on a red eye flight and the passengers are sleeping?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

Phone interview, Followed by an in person group interview, then a one on one interview and finally a panel interview with the final few people.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview is basic and easy questions. The group interviews last question "tell us a few things about you that we couldn't know by reading your resume."   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2014.

One onsite interview with hiring manager and HR person. One week after a technical interview with peers.

Interview Questions
    • A typical question about figuring out the shortest angle of a clock.   Answer Question