Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied towards the end of July and heard back in the beginning of October. I received an email asking me if I was still interested, willing to relocate, and if I was available to attend an interview at any of their 5 domiciles. I of course said yes and I was available! If you are not willing to relocate or do the crash pad thing this may not be the job for you. You can be based anywhere from San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, or Anchorage.

I emailed back and scheduled my phone interview for a few days after. The phone interview was pretty basic. Questions like tell me about your customer service, how has your personal life shaped your professional life, are you able to relocate. They will ask you about relocating about 1,000 times because they really need people that are willing to do so. I passed the phone interview and he scheduled me to go to the interview at the Hilton in Orange County right after we finished.

Once I arrived there I was surprised at how steep the competition was. There was about 50+ candidates there and all of them looked like flight attendants already. (Some were current flight attendants and none of them were chosen) Make sure you are dressed professional and conservative. We started with orientation that was super helpful and informative of what life will be like. We then split into groups of about 12 to do our group interviews. Again, questions were basic. Tell me something not on your resume, what would you look for in a flight attendant, etc.. We then took a short break and almost everyone was cut. Only about 14 people made it past this round. They are looking for your positive energy and are watching you at ALL times. Smile, smile, smile!

After the cut was made, we started one on one interviews. We got to talk to a flight attendant informally and they told us more about the life style. There was a lot of waiting at this point so don't get too anxious if you aren't called right away. I then moved on to the HR interview which is you and your interviewer. Here we went over 10 year work history, any criminal activity, (just be honest at this point, they will find out and it won't count against you if you are open) what would you bring to the company, and of course relocating!

Only 8 of us made it to final panel interview. We were split into two groups to organize subjects in matter of importance or danger. Categories were vomit, security threat, fatigue, etc.. Be active and work through your team during this. They will be watching you. They will then bring you back together and you will make a map of their destinations. They aren't looking for accuracy just how well you work with others. Smile be energetic even though this is a LONG process. Only 3 of us were hired, it's a crazy day but it's worth it! :)

Hope this helps! If you don't make it your first try again! They are an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to say one word that described what we live for.   View Answer
    No negotiation

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online with Alaska in the beginning of October and about three weeks later I got an email stating they were interested. They asked me questions in the email, are you willing to relocate?, and if chosen for an interview could you get there on our own expense? Questions like that. I answered them then later that day I got another email saying I have a phone interview for the next week.

The phone interview I thought was pretty easy, and I get nervous for any kind of interview. She asked me questions on the willing to relocate once again, if I used nicotine within the last six months, if I'd be willing to let them do a background check on me. Then she asked me situation questions that would happen in the work place. It only took about 15 minutes then afterwards she told me if I was available for an in person interview!!!

The interview is this week, I'm excited and nervous! Hope everything works out!

Interview Questions
    • Are you flexible and willing to move to any of their domiciles? (ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN, LAX)   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out at your work?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and received an email a few months later requesting a phone interview. I had my phone interview the next day at a time that was convenient to me. It was a quick 20 minute interview with simple questions like "Are you willing to relocate?", "Why did you leave your last position?, and "What qualities should a flight attendant have?". They were very nice and positive on the phone which was a nice boost for confidence personally. Remember to keep it short, simple, and to the point.

Have your resume on hand because the first thing they do is go over your work history.

Stay up beat throughout the whole interview and remember passenger safety is the most important thing to a flight attendant. Work it in or mention it whenever you can!

I was invited to attend the next phase of the interview process at the end of the phone call.

I will attend the next phase soon.

Interview Questions
    • Have a situation in your mind where you went above and beyond what your job description asked of you.   Answer Question

Alaska Airline Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied on-line on July 26 didn't hear anything October. Was invited to answer 5 simply question. From there was asked to do a phone interview. My recruiter called approximately 5 minutes LATE. Was asked about 5 situational questions. Such as name a time you had a difficult passenger or customer what did you do and learn. From why do you want to work for Alaska. At the end of the phone interview on the 13th was asked to an interview in Seattle. Had to find my own way getting there. Interview session started 7:50 even though paperwork stated 8:00 so be EARLY. I arrived at 7:30 which was nice first to hand in required paperwork and mingal with other candidates. There was an hour and half of information and from there we broke into groups of about 15. You have to get in abc order from talking with other candidates. Then the questions are asked you have to spell your name out for them and then you pick a card and it has a question on it to answer I received name a time when you had an upset customer what did you do to make sure they knew you where listening to them and what was the situation. Others where you have a passenger refusing to buckle what do you do. Name a conflict that you had with another employee what was the situation and out come. After that was done you had to state one thing that they wouldn't know about you that isn't on your resume. From there you take a break and when you come back there is an HR lady who calls out names. If you name is called then you move to the next process which is a one on one interview with a flight attendant. They then take you back to the room and you meet another HR lady for a face to face they asked me what I know about their bases. Have I ever flown on Alaska what I liked dislike what they can improve. Asked me situational question I answered from my previous job and while having my resume infront of her knew I was a current FA so she asked me from an airplane contex. I was then asked to go back to the room. The day is very very long make sure to bring snacks for the day you may not have time to eat an actual meal.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be an Alaska Airline FA? What do you know about our bases? Name a time when you had a difficult passenger what did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

The pay is very very low compared to other companies.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

I applied online at Alaskaair.com and a few weeks later received an email asking basic questions like "Are you attending school? Would you be able to accept full time hours?" After I responded it was followed up the next day with a quick 15 min phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to a group interview the following week at the local Hilton hotel. The interview started at 9am and you were asked to come about 20-30 minutes early. There was a group of about 30-40 people and about only 3-4 openings. At first you watch a presentation where they tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the position to make sure you still want to continue. After that we got a 10 min break for water or go to the restroom. After that we did group interviews where you would get a situation card and you would have to answer basically what would you do? This sounds a lot worse then it is, yes its a little scary because you are answering these in front of the entire group but I don't know if I just got lucky but everyone that was in the group interviewing that day were so sweet that it made it not as bad. After a few hours of the group interviews we were asked to go to lunch and in an hour come back and we would find out who moved on to the one-on-one interviews. I don't think I have ever been that nervous waiting to hear my name. They only kept 10 people to continue the process and luckily I was one of them. We were then given a time to come back for our one-on-one interview and those lasted roughly 45 minutes. After your one-on-one I was asked to go into the hallway and they would let me know in 5 minutes if I was offered a position. When she came out of the room she let me know I made it. I have never been so excited, the interview process was a tough one but even if you don't make it it's worth the experience for sure.

Interview Questions
    • You are a parking garage attendant and parking in the garage is free if you are in their under 30 mins. A customer comes up and you enter her ticket and it says she has been in the garage 33 mins so she would be charged $3. She then says she would have been out before 30 mins if the line wasn't so long to get out. How would you handle the situation?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online. After two weeks, They sent me an email saying to send the answers to 6 questions approx. One of those questions is to give them the days and times of 3 times you can be available for a phone interview. The lady that called me was pretty "plain". I think a voice recording would have been more cheerful and alive. Seriously! Anyways an interview is still an interview! Once I passed the phone interview, they told me that they will sent me an email with instructions to follow and they told me that I would be going to a second interview but this time is a group interview. now, this is not joke. When they said group interview, they meant it. After 3 weeks of waiting for this group interview i realized that there is 100 people waiting too. After 2 hours of breaks and introductions. They divided us in groups of 20. So 5 groups in total (A,B,C,D,E) aprox.
    They started doing "introduce yourself" thing. Problem solving excercises, a group activity And "tell me something that is not in your curriculum". All this took an hour. Then another 30 min break So they can decide who to keep.
    (They took more time than the time they stated btw)
    After that they just called 5 applicants and the other 15 people leave. Now, all the people that stayed suspiciously had a relative in the bussines already. Because i observed they didn't do any effort to do their best in the interview. After that, there is a third interview. This time is one to one person. If you pass this interview, you get to wait one month for the training which takes 2 weeks. And after that, there is a test that if you don't pass with 90%or more, you are out.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to solve a random bad moment with a customer in a hypothetical situation that they create.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

interviewed at Alaska Airlines in November 2014.

1. applied online
    2. received an email asking me if I'm willing to relocate and if invited for a recruitment day, pay for my flight and accommodation -> phone interview scheduled by email
    3. Phone interview: went over all previous jobs and reasons for leaving, asked if I was willing to relocate, what's difficult about relocating, why I wanted to become a FA, why Alaska, what makes a good FA, situations where I went above and beyond, am I always on time, etc -> was invited for a recruiting event.
    4. Recruiting event: Was welcomed at the entrance of the hotel, signed in, spent the first hour watching a presentation about Alaska Airlines. The next step was a group interview:
    First we were asked to sit according to an alphabetic order. Then everyone introduced themselves and described what job job he was most loyal to (people who said FA, did not proceed to the next step) advice: people who talked over a minute, did not proceed.
    Then we were divided into groups of 2, got a card with a question and had a few minutes to discuss it between us and present our answer to the group. Some got a following questions, some didn't. It doesn't mean anything. Advice: respect your partner, shine and let him/her shine too. People who talked nonstop and took the spotlight and focus, did not advance.
    For the last step we were asked to describe something that's not in our resume and makes us unique. advice: show passion, talk about something you're passionate about, so they see it in your eyes.
    5. HR interview: This is where I did not succeed, honestly I'm not sure why. We went over my resume, why I left previous jobs. I was only asked about relocation while others were asked situational questions. Why do I want to work for Alaska Airlines? Will I be ready to relocate? what's difficult about that? Have I researched the bases? I flew 5 hours for an interview, yet failed to convince her I was serious about relocating. This was the step I felt I was not given a fair chance, the interviewer did not even look into my eyes. I felt the interview was too easy and this one HR lady made my total experience upsetting.

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in November 2014.

Too bad they don't include a one on one interview. There are so many people that you have to stand out! Smile, smile and stand out. First hour was all about Alaska Airlines with employees and a video.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything unexpected or unusual. Just disappointed that they didn't have any one on one moments with the candidates.   Answer Question

Application 7/30
    Phone interview 9/8
    F2F 9/23

The process went exactly as previously stated. Video, group, one on one with a FA, one on one with HR and then panel/group. We had four groups and my group had 23. We did a group exercise, introduced ourselves and answered a question, then answered question with a partner and last answered another question solo. I had fun throughout the process despite being nervous. We took a break and they made cuts after. They chose 4 of us. I did make the cut and did the one on ones. When I left, there appeared to be 7 others remaining and I anticipate only 2/3 were offered a cjo.

For anyone about to go to their f2f, my advice is;
    Dress professionally/well groomed
    Be articulate
    It's a long day!! Stay positive, stay fresh!

Reservations Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in October 2014.

Had a phone interview the day right after applying online and filling out the questionnaire. The phone interview was very simple and easy. It took less then 10 minutes to finish. After that, they sign you up for another interview which was in a couple of days, which other candidates were present.

We all sat and watched a powerpoint presentation and video about Alaska airlines. Took an hour or two. After we all received interview times, which wasn't group interviews.

The first interview was based on resume and past employers. If passed, there was another interview right after. I made it to the second which asked specific questions about incidents regarding customer service. They let you know very quickly after if you were asked the job or not.