Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I thought the company forgot or passed me over because I hadn't heard anything. One day out of the blue, I got an email with a short questionnaire, part of which asked when would be the best time for an initial phone interview. I responded and proceeded with the interview when I was invited to the next phase.

The actual "interview" occurred about a week afterwards. It was initially described to me as a possible all day venture. You start out with an introduction to the company, watching a short video and being introduced to the current long term employees who will be your leaders. You then get broken up into two groups and separated into different rooms where you participate in a "group" interview with an AA panel. You introduce a little bit about yourself.

Everyone picked a card with a typewritten scenario on it. You read the card aloud and described how you would handle your scenario. The group worked on another final project together as the AA panel watched to see how well you interact and worked with one another. The AA panels went off to another area to determine who would move forward to the one-on-one interview. This whole process took about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about yourself that is NOT on your resume?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2015.

Interview

First (phone) interview was pretty easy. She asked me a few questions and went over my job history (make sure you have your resume on hand). They're mostly hiring people who has customer service skills so make sure you incorporate that to your answers and make sure that you are flexible with work as far as scheduling. I got invited to a 2nd interview next month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

The process of being interviewed and hired was, for me, straight forward and surprisingly fast. I submitted an online application, two days later I received an email back with some questions. These were similar to the usual customer service interview questions for screening. I believe typing well and providing accurate, proper responses is important. The email asked when it would be best to call me if I was selected. I provided times, as instructed.

A day later, I spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She was polite, professional, and very friendly. It wasn't a "grill me" interview and we talked semi-casually about the position. She asked specific customer service questions as well: "tell me about a time when __________, and what did you do?" I passed this stage and was asked to come in for a face-to-face, one-on-one interview. I was not part of the group panel. I was required to pay my own expenses to attend this interview.

I flew to Seattle and went to the airport Marriott. I arrived early, checked in with a friendly, fun employee and she directed me to some water, if needed, and to have a seat, we'd start soon. They asked for the copies of my resume they told me to bring and I provided them. I was professionally dressed, but not white-tie event level. Suit, white shirt, tie, clean shave, styled hair. Others were similarly dressed but not in full suits. Some girls were there in the thicker-style leggings with long sweaters - office appropriate, but not entirely professional - and others were there with messy tucked shirts, etc. I can't speak to their status but it seemed they chose a mix based on factors that didn't involved dress or style alone.

They had us in a small group for about 15 minutes to discuss the company, introduce the interviewers, and cover some basics. Then, one-by-one, they called us away to interview with one or two people. Some got one person, others two. I got one. He was as everyone else was: polite, professional, friendly, happy. He asked a few basic customer service questions again, wanted to know why Alaska Airlines, and then probed a bit at your answers. I read a lot of what was here on Glassdoor and did some 'net searching, but they didn't ask me any of the questions I found! Ha! They were very much the same "how do you handle a____________?"

After he spoke to me for about 10 minutes, he directed me to a room. The girl who checked us in had three of us around a table. All of us a bit nervous. At first, we feared the worst when she spoke the beginning of a denial: "thank you for coming, you all did well..." but then, she said "and because of that we'd like to make an offer ..." and that was it.

After the offer was given, we read through some paperwork on drug and background screens, about the first day of training, and some other company info. We were then set free to await out packet.

As others mentioned, there is apparently a test on the city codes and I am confident to pass this. I'm not sure why some are worried or concerned. Yes, it seems low pay, and yes, the hours might suck for some people that look negatively, but if you're a new airline employee in a starting position and you were well-informed before moving on that's what to expect, then ... what do some expect? $25/hr and a 9-5, M-F schedule!!? Also, the test should be easy with some time. I think a big deal to getting this position is showing some dedication. They don't want someone to just come in and leave in a month and they want someone willing to put in to the position what the can get from it.

More updates to come as soon as I get through with training and can review the company a bit. Should be fun! I encourage those to apply if they're interested.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a long line of customers quickly, but still provide a positive experience?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines?   1 Answer
    • What will be your greatest challenge if you accept this position?   1 Answer

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process was pretty rigorous. Alaska takes the time to completely assess each applicant to be sure you will be the right fit for the job. I applied online through their website, a day or two later I got an email with approximately 5-6 questions, I filled that out and provided a day and time that I could receive an 'over the phone interview', during the phone interview I was asked about previous employment, and about specific experiences. I was told I would be moving onto the next step of the hiring process. She emailed me a date/time/location for the next part.

I showed up 15 minutes early, there was an alaska recruiter waiting to check me in, I got my name tag, and took a seat in the conference room (there were approximately 30 people there for the same reason) we watched a 15-20 minute informational video about alaska and then 4-5 supervisors from the call center came up and introduced themselves and answered questions, after the presentation they asked everyone if they were still interested and if they weren't they felt this job wasn't for them then they could go (they gave us a 15 minute break to decide) after the break we all came back into the room where they randomly drew names and assigned a time that the one on one interviews would start (that same day) - we all moved down the hall into a bigger conference room, and waited for our assigned time.

Once the assigned time came up we went into another room where I was asked about job history, dates of employment (they need a 10 year work history - which isn't easy due to the time, they're flexible with date range as long as you get the gist of the information down) we discussed roles in previous jobs and she asked me a few situational questions. She sent me back to the main room, where I waited around 10 minutes. After that, another supervisor got me, took me into a different room where there was a computer and a piece of paper with information written on it, she wanted me to book a trip departing seattle arriving in Sitka Alaska, basically they want to make sure you know how to navigate a windows based computer, and you can type and also read and comprehend information. After that she asked me more situational questions, this one on one lasted about 10 minutes, then she asked me to go back to the main room.

I waited about 15 minutes and then she came back and handed paperwork to one of the recruiters, they called me name, offered me the position as long as my background check, drug screen etc. came back OK. They gave me an appointment date/time to go have my drug screen done, also they handed me the city code sheet, you have to memorize all city codes that alaska/horizon fly too, there are approximately 115 codes, it seems a little overwhelming but as long as you buy flash cards and take the time to do it, it's not that bad. I also used the quizlet app on my iPhone which helped me a lot!

On the day of the drug screen, I went in, checked in at the front, and was taken downstairs to provide the urine sample. Alaska is also a nicotine free company (it reduces the cost of healthcare for all employees) so after the urine sample, they give you a mouth swab to put between your gums for 10 minutes, after the wait they seal it and both samples get sent off for testing. If you have used nicotine in the last 6 months then you have to wait 6 months to apply again.

I waited a few days, and received several emails from different HR personnel and supervisors, theres a few work sheets you need to complete before your first day.

In my experience from previous jobs, there is quite a bit of stuff you need to complete and hoops to jump through before the position is yours. At first it was a little overwhelming, but if you just stick with it, and complete each task as it comes, you'll be ready to start in no time. Since alaska puts this much effort into hiring the right people, the turn over rate is almost zero and the dedication from employees is amazing.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an irate customer who had picked a specific seat on the plane to sit, but for some reason was unable to sit there?   1 Answer

Passanger Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Boise, ID) in March 2015.

Interview

Group interview. Asked three questions and had to answer in a group. Learned a lot of about the company to start. Very informative. Pretty uncomfortable interview in from of everyone else. Questions got easier as you went along. Finalists were chosen for one on one interviews. Met several nice interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you want above and beyond your job description.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

the phone interview was easy , i think they should go a little more in depth before you go to the f2f because alot of people were cut after the 1st round. out of 60 people they only kept 9

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. I received an email questionnaire letting me know I was selected for a telephone interview. The time difference between the actual application and email was substantial. I almost forgot I applied.

The telephone interview was about 15 minutes long, after which I was invited to a group interview a week later that I had to drive 50 miles to attend. I was told the interview had potential to last all day and it was suggested to bring drinks and/or lunch.

You had to sign in upon arrival. The group consisted of about 40-50 people. Several airline employees were in attendance. The session started with introductions and a description of the job, benefits and concluded with a short film about the company.

Next, the group was divided into three groups and separate rooms. We had questions and scenarios to answer. When that was over, everyone came back into the main room and we were told that after about 15 minutes, the panel employees would come back and announce who made it to the one-on-one interviews.

I wasn't one of the ones to make it to the one-on-one interviews, which was just the same because I really wasn't thrilled with the prospect of shift work, mandatory overtime and mandatory payroll deductions for union dues of $67 each paycheck. The shift work and overtime were seniority based.

Overall, the process lasted about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

I first submitted my application. I was having a phone interview within a week. From there an in person interview was scheduled This was a group interview not one on one. Don't waste your money going too far for this interview. They had about 60 people show up and maybe hired 5. I couldn't tell you what they were looking for. I did everything I read to do, but didn't seem to matter. I really think it's just the luck of the draw

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a disagreement with a coworker?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was fun, A lot of people. Maybe about 100 or so. Gave us an intro of the company then broke everyone up into small group interviews where we teamed up (2 people) and were given a question to answer together (team bonding skills). After that, only 21 people were selected to continue and we were given a break and time to come back for our one on one interview and prep talk with an actually FA. Best Advice, be yourself, be calm cool and practice your interview questions. I was selected till the very end and the HR person was not convienced that I wanted a long term career with AA!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a passenger seen a FA in the back reading a magazine?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

Applied online. Then went through two phone screenings then a skype interview with the team members. Overall it was ok. You get free flights anywhere alaska airlines goes if there is room. Located in Washington I believe.