Alaska Structures Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was entirely unstructured. There were 5 candidates when I interviewed and the company interviewed us for 3 completely different positions all at the same time. At the beginning, 3 interviewers were present and they reviewed our resumes for the first time. During this time, one person asked a series of ad hoc questions of each of us. By the end of the interview process, it was revealed that the purpose of the interview was to "get to know us better and left us get to know you better". For the rest of the process, the CEO talked 90% of the time about his opinions about life, business, what makes good and bad philanthropy, and so on. Sometimes, what the CEO said was to answer a candidates question for the interviewers. Sometimes, it was in response to a candidate's answers to an interview question. Half the time, what was said was on an unrelated tangent. A few quotes that were said were:
    - "Facts are useless in the world of business"
    - "A business is all about taking money out of the other guy's pocket and putting it in your bank."
    - "Anyone who is task oriented can change the world. Anyone who is person oriented, will never change the world"
    - "Our products are crap. I hate our products... We are really good at what we do. We are probably better than anyone else in the world at what we do."
    - "Harvard finally caught up to me... boy am I an egotist of what?..." regarding the idea that business strategies don't ever work because they are too slow for the changing environment of business
    - "I've never set a goal in my life so your professor is wrong." regarding MY OWN professor's applied use of Locke & Latham's (2004) research on goal setting. This statement was followed up by another
    interviewer's question: "how does it make you feel to hear him say that?"
    - "I'm a [U of Oregon] Duck fan so it's great that I get to come in and dig on any Beavers in the room" said about me personally as an OSU graduate.
    - "I don't believe in work-life balance. You should want to come to work every Monday excited that you have five days of work to do and bummed out on Friday because their were 5 more things you wanted to do that week." This was the CEO and one other interviewer together.
    - "I have no idea what email client we use. And if that sends you running away from [this company], your not very smart. You need to be smart to know why what I just said should be a big draw for you to this company... I don't know how to spell IT and I don't want to..."

Ultimately, the interview process was not a very useful experience for me and, considering the interviewers claimed they have a really high turnover rate the first year, it was not likely very cost effective for the company.

Interview Questions

• "How does it make you feel to hear him say that?" - regarding the CEO telling me that my professor is wrong about the effectiveness of goal setting.   1 Answer

Operational/Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA).

Interview

Ridiculous; rude; unprofessional....need I say more? Read the other reviews and ask yourself is it worth your time and effort showing up for an interview where you'll be subjected to the behaviors I've listed. Keep in mind life's too short.

I can't have the time I spent interviewing back so please heed this and the other reviews; they are factual. What's truly mind-boggling is that this company has been able to hire and actually on-board employees.

The best things in life aren't things so eat beans and live in a tent (or one of the company's fabricated shelters) if you have to as working within the unprofessional and antagonistic culture embedded at Alaska Structures as evidenced in the interview process would be far worse.

Interview Questions

• The theme was 'we do the impossible'....'we are great'....etc. etc. etc. Of note is I did mention I'd like to hear the facts on how the 'impossible' was actually performed and received a vague, convoluted response.

There were plenty of long silences between the interview panel's utterances and they asked no substantive questions. The panel's only purpose was to be in complete control of the interview room; the interviewee was inconsequential.

1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

It is what the other reviews stated. An interview before 7am, asking if I would mind doing things out of my job description like laundry etc and if minded working overtime. Im glad I looked the company up and read the reviews. Not getting a good feeling I opted not to go to the interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Where would you draw the line when you are asked to do something out of your job desciption   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA).

Interview

Just expect it to be strange. They want to see if people can go with the flow or if they are the type of person who can't even get through a few strange things happening in their interview. Group interview are common.

Interview Questions

• Don't say what you think they want you to. Every question is just designed to see who bull sh*%s them and who is honest. They can read your mind, so don't lie. Not that it matters too much cause you will find out later that everything you thought you knew is a lie already. A lot of on a scale of 1 to 10 questions, never pick 5. They want people who take a stand and have a firm opinion. They get more satisfaction out of breaking firm opinions.   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA).

Interview

Asked to show up at 5:30 A.M. No, not a typo...you read right - 5:30 A.M. Doors were locked, poor preparation on their part. Once you find a way inside, you sit among 5 other candidates that faced the same problem. When the interview starts, you hear about how great they are, and continue to get more and more confused about why you're there. Interview is interrupted by people coming in and out of the room and a pack of dogs running around the office. No, not a typo - you read right - a pack of dogs running around the office.

Interview Questions

• Why am I the best man for the job? Tough to answer.....especially when you start to wonder about their sanity.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Structures.

Interview

I was contacted by them and invited to an interview. The interview was in front of five of their employees and two other candidates. They didn't introduce themselves, acted aloof and confrontational at the same time. After a while a man came into the conference room, didn't introduce himself and began to ask questions. He turned out to be the owner but never admitted it. Eventually, because of the aggressive, bullying questioning, one of the other candidates complained about the "interview", got up and left. I said that the interview had gone much longer than scheduled and I needed to leave also. I noticed the third person exiting the building as I was driving away.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of weird questions and the interviewers interrupted and challenged my answers. I really never thought this was a real interview, just an opportunity to see how far they could push people before they would get up and leave. It had the feeling of a cult.   1 Answer

Market Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Structures.

Interview

They contacted through email and set up an appointment, they didn't mention that it was to be a group interview. The office seemed very relax and dog friendly. The interview itself was not hard, but since it was a group interview, each question should have been directed to a different person each time, this was not the case. The interviewer directed the question to the same person each time. After the interview, they told us that if we decided that we were still interested, we should call them and let them know. When I did call them, they told me that they would have to discuss my candidacy with the team and would let me know in a week. They didn't contact me for about 3 weeks. When they did call, they asked me to come into their office for a test interview that was in 10 minutes. I could not make it, so they told me that they would call back with a different date, they never called back.

Marketing Interview

Interview

Little information before the interview. Heard the interview being conducted before my turn and a dog continually interrupted the process. Questions were not informative and preferred management style was implied to be extremely micromanaged.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred style of management.   1 Answer

Office Administrator/Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Alaska Structures (Puyallup, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was at the Puyallup Fair next to the cow lot (the interview was to the background of cows mooing) in one of their "structures." I waited in a fold out chair with another interviewee until the third guy arrived. A girl asked us to join her in another area with more fold out chairs. Two dogs jumped onto her lap and she covered the dogs and her feet with a pink blanket. Already I thought how unprofessional this seemed. She began to ask us what we currently did for a living and proceeded into their weird personality test questioning. A man (later identified as the CEO) came and took over the interview process. I kept thinking he was on drugs. His claims were ridiculous and his statements unprofessional.

We were asked to rate ourselves from 1-10 on four characteristics: director, socializer, relater, and thinker. One of the guys rated himself high for relater and the CEO chimes in saying that "those are the people pleasers and most awful people to work with." Poor interviewee tried to back peddle. The CEO continued to explain what Dr. Phil thought of the other characteristics (basically all negative).

Another guy asked him what type of employees they were looking for and the CEO answers "Happy people. I need the type who will be happy even when I scream at them, throw chairs at them and call them names." Already I have shut down and try to suppress my smile. Someone asks him if he is ex-military and the CEO responds "the Navy SEALS can't handle me. They're all scared of me!"

They could provide no details about the positions, but just vague, broad, and all encompassing answers to every question. Then they asked us how interested we were in the job from 1-10. I explained that I value professionalism and this is not the company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• From the four characteristics rate your self 1-10: director, thinker, socializer, relater.

What two characteristics was your favorite boss?

What two characteristics was your worst boss?

Answer Question

Marketing Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alaska Structures (Kirkland, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

I didn't use to place a lot of faith in the negative reviews I read and wasn't very receptive when people belittled their interviewers. However, my perspective changed today when I met the hiring team from Alaska Structures in their Kirkland office. Before today, I've had interviews where I felt like it didn't go well or the person interviewing me wasn't friendly, but my no one has ever been rude to me for no reason. This place was odd in the sense that they made me feel like I had wronged them before I even finished my first sentence. The people that interviewed me (2 girls who didn't seem to have any experience in any sort of professional interaction and someone who seemed to be the senior executive or maybe their father!) were rude, condescending, and outright hostile. I tend to conduct myself in a calm and polite manner, but I almost walked out in the middle of this interviewing process. I'm not a snob by any means, but when the twenty something year old girl is petting the dog in her lap as she is conducting an interview and refuses to get up or even shake my hand after I've thanked her for her time and extended my hand her way, well....that is just bad manners to say the least. Our group interview consisted of 3 interviewees including myself. They kept us waiting in the lobby for 65 minutes before even acknowledging that we were even there. Again, I fully understand that they might have had a busy day and I was very patient knowing that I was on their time since I was the one who was seeking the position advertised, but keeping your potential employees waiting for over an hour is inexcusable (especially since I had told the lady who scheduled the interview that I had another appointment I needed to attend beforehand.) I genuinely thought that I had wronged the people interviewing me in some way. I don't expect to get an offer. Nevertheless, about 3 minutes into the interview, I knew that this was not the place for me to begin with. I have too much pride to put up with people who have no manners.

Interview Questions

• There were 4 or 5 standard questions that most employers ask (ie "what are the top three things you look for in a new job.") The rest of the interview was just a series of bizarre rants and lectures about how they don't believe in such a thing as work/life balance. This itself seemed contradictory when the senior executive later told everyone that he didn't like his job, but he was good at it and that is why he did it. It made me wonder how one can give 100 percent when they hate their job. When I politely stated this concern and shared a previous experience to demonstrate my personal view, I was interrupted and was told that I was wrong! (that is after I had told them that it was only my humble opinion, subjective to my own preconceived biases!)   Answer Question