Alaska Structures

Updated Jul 7, 2014

3.1

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alaska Structures.

Asked to show up at 5:30 A.M. No, not a typo...you read right - 5:30 A.M. Doors were locked, poor preparation on their part. Once you find a way inside, you sit among 5 other candidates that faced the same problem. When the interview starts, you hear about how great they are, and continue to get more and more confused about why you're there. Interview is interrupted by people coming in and out of the room and a pack of dogs running around the office. No, not a typo - you read right - a pack of dogs running around the office.

Interview Questions
    • Why am I the best man for the job? Tough to answer.....especially when you start to wonder about their sanity.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Structures.

I was contacted by them and invited to an interview. The interview was in front of five of their employees and two other candidates. They didn't introduce themselves, acted aloof and confrontational at the same time. After a while a man came into the conference room, didn't introduce himself and began to ask questions. He turned out to be the owner but never admitted it. Eventually, because of the aggressive, bullying questioning, one of the other candidates complained about the "interview", got up and left. I said that the interview had gone much longer than scheduled and I needed to leave also. I noticed the third person exiting the building as I was driving away.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a number of weird questions and the interviewers interrupted and challenged my answers. I really never thought this was a real interview, just an opportunity to see how far they could push people before they would get up and leave. It had the feeling of a cult.   View Answer

Market Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Structures.

They contacted through email and set up an appointment, they didn't mention that it was to be a group interview. The office seemed very relax and dog friendly. The interview itself was not hard, but since it was a group interview, each question should have been directed to a different person each time, this was not the case. The interviewer directed the question to the same person each time. After the interview, they told us that if we decided that we were still interested, we should call them and let them know. When I did call them, they told me that they would have to discuss my candidacy with the team and would let me know in a week. They didn't contact me for about 3 weeks. When they did call, they asked me to come into their office for a test interview that was in 10 minutes. I could not make it, so they told me that they would call back with a different date, they never called back.

Marketing Interview

Little information before the interview. Heard the interview being conducted before my turn and a dog continually interrupted the process. Questions were not informative and preferred management style was implied to be extremely micromanaged.

Interview Questions
    • What is your preferred style of management.   View Answer

Office Administrator/Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Alaska Structures in September 2012.

The interview was at the Puyallup Fair next to the cow lot (the interview was to the background of cows mooing) in one of their "structures." I waited in a fold out chair with another interviewee until the third guy arrived. A girl asked us to join her in another area with more fold out chairs. Two dogs jumped onto her lap and she covered the dogs and her feet with a pink blanket. Already I thought how unprofessional this seemed. She began to ask us what we currently did for a living and proceeded into their weird personality test questioning. A man (later identified as the CEO) came and took over the interview process. I kept thinking he was on drugs. His claims were ridiculous and his statements unprofessional.

We were asked to rate ourselves from 1-10 on four characteristics: director, socializer, relater, and thinker. One of the guys rated himself high for relater and the CEO chimes in saying that "those are the people pleasers and most awful people to work with." Poor interviewee tried to back peddle. The CEO continued to explain what Dr. Phil thought of the other characteristics (basically all negative).

Another guy asked him what type of employees they were looking for and the CEO answers "Happy people. I need the type who will be happy even when I scream at them, throw chairs at them and call them names." Already I have shut down and try to suppress my smile. Someone asks him if he is ex-military and the CEO responds "the Navy SEALS can't handle me. They're all scared of me!"

They could provide no details about the positions, but just vague, broad, and all encompassing answers to every question. Then they asked us how interested we were in the job from 1-10. I explained that I value professionalism and this is not the company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • From the four characteristics rate your self 1-10: director, thinker, socializer, relater.

What two characteristics was your favorite boss?

What two characteristics was your worst boss?
        Answer Question

Marketing Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alaska Structures in August 2012.

I didn't use to place a lot of faith in the negative reviews I read and wasn't very receptive when people belittled their interviewers. However, my perspective changed today when I met the hiring team from Alaska Structures in their Kirkland office. Before today, I've had interviews where I felt like it didn't go well or the person interviewing me wasn't friendly, but my no one has ever been rude to me for no reason. This place was odd in the sense that they made me feel like I had wronged them before I even finished my first sentence. The people that interviewed me (2 girls who didn't seem to have any experience in any sort of professional interaction and someone who seemed to be the senior executive or maybe their father!) were rude, condescending, and outright hostile. I tend to conduct myself in a calm and polite manner, but I almost walked out in the middle of this interviewing process. I'm not a snob by any means, but when the twenty something year old girl is petting the dog in her lap as she is conducting an interview and refuses to get up or even shake my hand after I've thanked her for her time and extended my hand her way, well....that is just bad manners to say the least. Our group interview consisted of 3 interviewees including myself. They kept us waiting in the lobby for 65 minutes before even acknowledging that we were even there. Again, I fully understand that they might have had a busy day and I was very patient knowing that I was on their time since I was the one who was seeking the position advertised, but keeping your potential employees waiting for over an hour is inexcusable (especially since I had told the lady who scheduled the interview that I had another appointment I needed to attend beforehand.) I genuinely thought that I had wronged the people interviewing me in some way. I don't expect to get an offer. Nevertheless, about 3 minutes into the interview, I knew that this was not the place for me to begin with. I have too much pride to put up with people who have no manners.

Interview Questions
    • There were 4 or 5 standard questions that most employers ask (ie "what are the top three things you look for in a new job.") The rest of the interview was just a series of bizarre rants and lectures about how they don't believe in such a thing as work/life balance. This itself seemed contradictory when the senior executive later told everyone that he didn't like his job, but he was good at it and that is why he did it. It made me wonder how one can give 100 percent when they hate their job. When I politely stated this concern and shared a previous experience to demonstrate my personal view, I was interrupted and was told that I was wrong! (that is after I had told them that it was only my humble opinion, subjective to my own preconceived biases!)   Answer Question

Administrative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Alaska Structures in July 2012.

The interview pre-screen and lack of information about the position should have tipped me off... The interview was at 6am (in fairness, I was also offered the option of 7am). I was one of five candidates interviewing.

They are proud of their high rate of turnover in the first 18 months, followed by low turnover and high loyalty thereafter. Their theory seems to be to hire people and ask them to do impossible tasks (for no other reason than they are impossible) until the quitters quit and the crazy ones are hooked on an adrenaline high and have sufficiently alienated their friends and family that they have no reason to leave the office.

From the comments about "not running your own errands because it is a waste of time", I would think they would not waste the owner's precious time and find a better way to interview and hire candidates that are best suited for the company.

The owner's claims that he could "make you rich" accompanied by a declaration that he "hates his job, has hated it for 30-odd years" also threw me. I am a dedicated professional who takes work my work seriously, but for me a reasonable degree of work-life balance is a must. Maybe you can "retire early" as they claimed in the interview --- but is it worth it if you work 60+ hr weeks for 20 years at a job you hate to get there?

Interview Questions
    • If you are still planning to go interview, I won't ruin the question --- but the owner seems a bit obsessed with business author Jim Collins.   View Answer

Administrative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Structures in June 2012.

Group interview meaning you are in the same room with two of your competitors being interviewed at once! The owner and another guy who didn't introduce himself interviewed us at the same time. They would however get up and walk out of the room occasionally while you are in mid-sentence... Owner says he has no passion or interest in his products!

Interview Questions
    • State a time in your life that was difficult and how that makes you the person your are today (something to that effect)   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Structures in June 2011.

Rude, bizarre, complete jerks, totally full of themselves! They had me come in at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday claiming that that is when they do all of their interviews. I met with 4 other fellow interviewees and 4 men from their company including the CEO. They are a bunch of arrogant jerks who were rude to all of my fellow interviewees. Luckily, I caught on to their nastiness before I had to answer my questions as I watched them completely rip apart the others. I was quick and sharp, which I could tell they liked. I was offered the opportunity to come back in for another interview one on one. I never bothered following up, who wants to spend time with a bunch of a-holes!

Interview Questions
    • What type of a person is Bill Gates to work for?   View Answer
    • Do you consider yourself a push over?   View Answer

Not for all the tea in China would I work there. They may wear shorts and flip flops, bring their dogs to the office and have volunteer efforts and company picnics, but I have more self respect than that. They treated their dog better than the applicants.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Structures in August 2010.

Very strange interview. Consisted of four other women other than myself. They had us wait over 30 minutes before even seating us which i felt was unprofessional. The panel included the main boss and four others. The boss mainly spoke the entire time and was incredibly rude, argumentative, and abrasive. Their philosophies of morals and ethics apparently in this workplace are off. (yes, we discussed morality) Two of the women up and left during the interview because the boss was being so offensive and literally arguing with these women about statements they had made. They wouldnt give us specifics about the position and didnt even talk much about the company. They promote things on their website which the boss actually told us in person he doesnt believe in. If they ask you to interview I would not waste your time. It is a very strange company and I would never want to work for a CEO/boss that was so disrespectful and abrasive.

Interview Questions
    • If someone said they would pay you a million dollars to tell a lie, would you do it?   View Answer