Albemarle

Albemarle Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Had a good talk with the HR and engineer.Good to have this first interview ever. Basically just behavior questions, few technical questions. Mainly focused on previous experiences. Requires thermal and fluid dynamics background. Previous chemical related background would be a plus.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Albemarle.

I had applied it through university career fair. Received a call for an on-campus interview.I was interviewed by two people. One of them seemed like an HR person and another was a technical person who himself was part of an electrical engineering team. They started off with questions on my resume like my past experience and skill that I had mentioned in my resume. Then they asked questions related to their organization and how much related the job could be based on my skill set, goals and company.
    It was a nice interview.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy, nothing like difficult. Most of the questions were behavioral based. Some of them were asked based on my resume   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Albemarle.

The interview itself was very easy to get. After speaking with a recruiter at my career fair, he signed me up on the spot for an on-campus interview. I was at the interview within a few days. During the interview, they asked the standard behavioral based questions and inquired about previous experiences. They brought a simple process diagram with them and asked me to identify what some of the symbols meant (like valves, etc). Near the end of the internship they asked how I would prepare for a hypothetical welding repair on a chemical storage tank to find out how I, being the senior engineer on the project, would ensure the safety of everyone involved. Then they asked me to identify all the potential hazards and as I named them, they had a checklist to see which one's I identified and which one's I missed. They also brought an intern with them (who had already completed an internship) in case I had any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Albemarle in October 2014.

Did an on campus and they asked some technical questions. These were pretty easy. The other was behavioral questions. I would comment that just prepare like any other interview. It was two different 30 minute interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions for sure. Asked for Heat equations. Also asked what you should do to a pump in this given situation.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Albemarle in October 2014.

I applied through the university job board and handed out my resume at a career fair before getting selected for the interview. The interview included half an hour with a senior engineer and half an hour with a younger engineer. Most of the questions from both of them were technical questions and some questions were about my resume. 3 weeks after the interview, I got an automatic email saying the job position was no longer available.

Interview Questions
    • What do the constants in the Van der Waals equation represent?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve this process? (shown a PFD)   Answer Question
    • How would you produce more product if the reaction is endothermic? (shown equilibrium reaction)   Answer Question
    • How would you produce more product with two reactions? (shown reactions with different phase reactants and products)   Answer Question
    • How would you find the weight of all the air in the world?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Talked to Albemarle at the University's Expo and was notified of an on campus interview within two or three weeks through the University Engineering Career Assistance Center. I wouldn't say the interview was behavioral: my interviewer started with, "why did you want to be a chemical engineer?" and continued to probe at what I answered. Eventually we started talking about energy and carbon-carbon bonds and he again asked a bunch of questions to see how much I knew.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular you can prepare for - if you get the interviewer I had, he treats it as a "conversation" and asks and probes to see your knowledge in what you are discussing.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Applied through my school's career center. Received an on-campus interview with a senior engineer. The interview was all behavioral, but not question-oriented. The enigineer and I basically had a 40 minute chat about various aspects of my resume, the company, and the job.

R&D Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Albemarle in June 2014.

The interview took one day. I applied through a staffing agency. He started off by telling me all about the company and when it was my turn, I told him all about me and of course other questions followed depending on what I put on my resume and what I said.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Albemarle in June 2014.

i applied online. several weeks later i received a phone screen email to which applied. they had trouble getting their software to sync correctly which struck me as kind of odd. anyway, it was the typical phone screen with the exception of some heat transfer and distillation questions, to which even the interviewer felt was odd. furthermore, i was having to explain to the interviewer what was being asked lol. anyway, several weeks later i received the typical decline email. this is the second time albemarle has wasted my time with all these hoops and no onsite interview. im really starting to wonder if they are even considering folks that arent local as that seems to be a hidden issue here.

Interview Questions
    • the impromptu questions about heat transfer and distillation. on a phone screen? really?   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Applied through university career center. Got selected as an alternate. Went to the career fair and talked to them at the booth and said "Hey, I'm an alternate, but I'm really interested in your company" Got an email later that day saying I was guaranteed a spot.

1st Interview: half with HR (all behavioral) and half with an engineer (technical)

2nd interview: a few days after 1st interview, also on campus with a more senior engineer / hiring manager (some technical some behavioral)

Interview Questions
    • Hardest technical questions asked about running a distallation to separate hexane and hexene. Which one would come off the top of the column and why?   View Answer
    • Also was asked a few questions about how to troubleshoot something wrong in a plant. For example: "you have a flow meter that should show a flow, and it's reading zero. What do you check?"   View Answer
    • Basic chemical engineering, unit operations questions. Tests your understanding heat exchangers, pump curves, process design etc.   Answer Question
    Asked for a higher salary or signing bonus and they said no, but it didn't hurt to ask. I still received a 5k signing bonus.