Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Interview Questions in Edmonton, AB

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alberta Health Services in June 2012.

Hiring process was quick. Interview Process good and interactive. They focussed more on the interpersonal and behavioural skills rather than techincal skills. though they interview on that too. In all, it was fair. I liked the team and the team leader was herself coordinating the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you have in unique that other candidate wont have?   Answer Question

Document Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alberta Health Services in October 2010.

Group interview with a manager and a director. Typical interview with the same kind of interview questions you might expect from an IT position. Very formal, wasn't laid back at all. HR process took a very long time to receive an actual offer letter. The probation period on the offer was longer than other positions at 12 months.

Interview Questions
    • Walk through your resume focusing on what makes you a good candidate for this position   Answer Question
    • Management styles that you believe are important
      a. What makes a manager successful
        Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a project/assignment related to document control that you were involved in that was successful
      a. Reasons for its success
      b. Roadblocks encountered and how you resolved them
        Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a project/assignment that you were involved in that did not go well
      a. Factors for it not going well
      b. What would you do differently
        Answer Question
    • What are the key risks that are faced in any systems development or capital projects? How are those risks address/mitigated?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Alberta Health Services in September 2009.

The initial phone call from the supervisor was very congenial and friendly and set the tone for the actual in person interview which was a panel interview. The people at the panel were very friendly, enthusiastic, and transparent. It was a very positive experience and I was excited when leaving the interview. I was considering a couple of job offers and this process helped me decide that I wanted this job more.

Interview Questions
    • Describe experience working with different stakeholders and what was challenging   Answer Question
    • Describe your communication style   Answer Question

Graduate Nurse Initiative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Alberta Health Services in April 2009.

I watched the capital health website for the Graduate Nurse Initiative (GNI) posting to go up. It is only posted for a few weeks at the beginning of February. I applied for the position online, and was phoned approximately 4.5 weeks later. At this time a date for an interview was scheduled for the following week.
    I showed up for my interview, but nobody was present. I phoned the interviewer's administrative assistant - something had come up and they asked to reschedule for the following day.
    When I arrived for the rescheduled interview, I was greeted by the admin. assistant and asked to wait in the patient lounge.
    One of the interviewers came out to show me to her office. Two managers were present for the interview and wrote notes during the whole process. They were fairly friendly and attempted to make me feel comfortable with a little bit of small talk (the weather, traffic etc.) They both introduced themselves and described their positions a little bit. Then they asked me to some standard interview questions (why do you want to work here, what strengths/weaknesses do you bring... etc.). They asked a few scenario questions: Mr. Smith has this diagnosis, these are his symptoms. What would you do as his primary caregiver?
    They asked a few safety questions (the 5 rights of med administration, insulin, delegation etc.) After this they asked me what I knew about the surgery program - what types of areas there are (eg. ortho, GI, urology, trauma...), typical acuity, type of staff (RN to LPN to NA ratio), and which would I prefer to work in.
    After this they asked if I had any questions.
    Once this was finished I was given a security clearance check form, reference check form and basic information (S.I.N., contact info, emergency contact) form to fill out. When I finished these forms I returned them to the Admin assistant and went back home.
    Three weeks later I was informed that Orientation was being held on Monday (it was Friday when they phoned)

The whole process didn't seem very organized. The interview was average. My suggestion is to dress professionally (a student before me was dressed in jeans and a hoodie. She didn't get the job), ask questions, research the unit a little bit, and be friendly and confident.
    The surgical units are quite fast paced and the patients can be quite heavy to look after. Most of the nurses have a lot of seniority (20+ years) so you'll be the junior for a very long time. The senior nurses are not very flexible in their thinking and you will have to change how you do some things in order to fit into the team.

Interview Questions
    • What are the surgical units present at this hospital?   View Answer
    It was a set income for Grad Nurses right on the job posting. There is no negotiation.

Worked for Alberta Health Services? Contribute to the Community!