Alcatel-Lucent Interview Questions & Reviews in New Jersey

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Murray Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Murray Hill, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent.

One initial introductory phone call (typical greetings, introductions, Q&A about the company) followed by two phone interviews with tests and an on-site interview.

The tests were pretty straightforward, almost completely in C:

45 min - The first test was very simple, multiple choice and tested more your understanding of C and bit manipulation.

2 hours 30 min - Second test was open-ended. Again, it was all in C, but this exam had logical questions, data interpretation, and coding questions. It also had an electrical engineering problem (hardest part since I'm CS and knew nothing about it).

On-site interview was nice. They bought lunch for the team and had to talk to each member of the team. They asked some behavioral questions, why I want to work there, and went over my resume. Only had a few technical questions -- I assumed most of the technical stuff was taken care of by the two phone interview tests. Met with some of the bosses and left on a pretty good note.

On a side note, the whole process only took 3 (two for the tests, one for the on-site, one day) business days. It felt very rushed since they were anxious to get someone to fill the position, which is understandable but wasn't enjoyable in the least and was probably the greatest downside to the whole process. People were pretty nice, the actual workplace itself wasn't very inviting though (it was an older building with cubicles).

Dressed business professional to the on-site, the employees were all business casual.

Interview Questions
    • Had a problem with an EE question about PLL programming. It used hexadecimal notation with caches.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murray Hill, NJ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent in June 2010.

Recruited by friends, never even met with HR in person. I was originally hired through a consulting firm and the converted to regular employment a few months later. I knew several people there and I was a great fit, so there was little real interview. I've since interviewed more people--they usually come for a day, make a presentation, get hammered with questions, and then passed around to the department members for 1:1, with a group lunch in the middle.

Interview Questions
    Not with HR, since I initially started through a recruiting firm. I was asked what I wanted and responded with a dollar figure. I was told the highest they could go was a bit below that, and that it was "more than my friends were making". I accepted.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murray Hill, NJ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent.

Spoke to HR at least twice to review basics and possible relocation options. This was on the phone. Spoke to VP on phone. Spoke to hiring manager on phone and in person. Spoke to VP in person.

Interview Questions
    • Did I want the job or did I want another job that I had applied for. I answered honestly that I wanted the other job and I still got this on.   Answer Question
    Always ask for what you want. I got what I wanted

Litigation Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Murray Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Murray Hill, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent in July 2013.

Applied for job on-line. A little over a month later I got a call asking to set up an in-person interview. I met with 5 people, each for 30 minutes. The interview seemed to go fine, except they spent far more time convincing me of the benefits of the company over interviewing me. I had no direct feedback after the interview About a month after the interview I received a letter (via mail, I was impressed) indicating they hired someone else.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murray Hill, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent in May 2012.

Received an email to schedule phone interview.
    after phone interview, received another email to schedule on-site interview.
    During the visit, talked to 5 people. They were all laid back and tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible. There was no technical questions. and after interview had a quick tour.
    Finally about 2 weeks later got a call from HR that they want to offer a position

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for new college grad

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Summit, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alcatel-Lucent in June 2008.

Applied through online profile creation for a specific job. Received a call 2wks later regarding the position. HR recruiter arranged for a call back time. Upon call back, we discussed my background and some details of the job.

After the conversation, the next day I indicated that the position was not of interest to me and declined to proceed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict regarding the time required to complete a task   Answer Question

Product focus was not of interest to me at that point in my career

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!