Alcoa Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview was almost perfunctory, and the interviewers seemed ill-prepared. The Alcoa building is made of aluminum and well-designed. I wish that I could say the same thing about the company's hiring processes, which were lacking in guidance and seemed haphazard at times. Be more prepared if someone is taking the time to meet you for a position.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

A brief phone interview to schedule a interview in the following week or so. he told me about something that what they do, and then asked several basic questions about the resume, and the classic question tell me about yourself.

Interview Questions

• basic questions and a a case, the case was what do you thing about the increasing number about the exports from china, should we concern about that?   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

Attended a University Job fair where I spoke with a recruiter and handed them a resume. I also applied online a day after. 2 months later, I received a phone call to answer brief behavioral questions, and then was invited to visit their corporate center in Pittsburgh. Had 4 30-minute interviews during my visit. Didn't receive an offer to work in Pittsburgh but was offered a similar internship at another facility in Indiana.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself Tell me about a time when you experienced a problem, and had to come up with a solution to work around it. There was also 1 case question and 1 quantitative question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

The interview was held on-site at one of their facilities. Initially, they brought the applicants into a room with engineering leaders and HR representatives and had us rotate between the group, talking to each rep along the way. Afterwards, I was interviewed by an engineering leader who asked mostly behavior style interviews. The interview questions themselves were pretty difficult as some asked about very specific situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a team member or members strongly disagreed with your action or ideas. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

they did a phone interview followed by an in person with multiple folks popping in and out. It was a very general resume review as well as explaination of the job followed by a few critical thinking questions which I breezed through.

Interview Questions

• 3 items you have to get across the river with 1 boat and rules of not being able to leave certain ones alone   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alcoa in March 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter on campus and handed over my resume. Got a call a few months later to schedule for a phone interview the next day. They asked mostly behavioral questions and a few about my background. It was very easy going and the interviewers were polite!

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging experience at your previous employment?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa (Davenport, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email by HR for a brief screening. We spoke the next day then he scheduled an interview with hiring manager a week later. After the phone interview with HR and hiring manager, I was sent an email that night for an onsite interview a week later. The interview day consisted of security and safety video then a plant tour. After an hour plant tour, it was a panel interview consisting of 4 ppl. Immediately after interview I was called the next day they wanted to make an offer. The offer was sent two days later and I had a week to make a decision. Offer signed and returned via email to HR.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to be a mechanical engineer? Why you chose Alcoa? Describe a time where you had to complete a project with no procedures or policies in place. You have to answer in star format.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

Once I applied through Indeed.com I was contacted by a recruiter within two days. I was at several interviews while being contacted by two voicemails and one e-mail, seemed there was some interest on their part. Went for a interview and plant tour. Interesting process but not rocket science as far as the tour was concerned. The interview took place in a conference room with 5 company reps including one from HR. Questions were the usual but I got the impression that they were feeling my willingness to work long hours including 7 days a week which was mentioned. I did notice one thing right away, all five of these managers looked as if they hadn't slept in a week. I did research on the company before hand but when I noticed none of them had any real excitement about the company my important questions were already answered. If I do get an offer I will most likely turn it down. I was told someone would contact me after all interviews were completed.

Interview Questions

• How does to prior experience relate to manufacturing? Do you have a problem with working extra hours. We have been working 7 days in a row is that a problem for you? How many hours a week have you worked in the past.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Township, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alcoa (Cranberry Township, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview then onsite to meet with management team. Many seemed to be very cocky and major turnoff - after meeting with them I easily understood why they had so much turnover and the unions are trying to organize - don't think they see THEY are the problem and keep turning over managers. One of those situations where they flew you in and 2 hours into an all day interview you knew you wanted no part of this place.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a negative culture? We've had a very negative culture and much management turnover.   Answer Question
    • How do you keep the union out? We've had several union drives and are barely able to keep them out.   Answer Question
    • Does it concern you that we have had so much management turnover or that we still need to make changes to our management?   Answer Question

Casting Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in LaPorte, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa (LaPorte, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was called for an interview after applying 3 years earlier and 1 year earlier. They didn't want to discuss the time issue. This was the 3 rd time going there for an interview. The last time I arrived for the interview and they had to cancel because someone "got hurt", couldn't be there. If I am late it would count against me, but they think it was ok.

Interview Questions

• 1 behavioral question about getting along with others. Safety questions. Questions about my knowledge of casting hot metal. They were very different people. The company managers were introverted.   1 Answer

I declined because they offered me a job well below my qualifications and education level qualify me for. They didn't even hire anyone for Casting Technician from the street so why was it posted>??