Alcoa Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015
Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

The interview was held on-site at one of their facilities. Initially, they brought the applicants into a room with engineering leaders and HR representatives and had us rotate between the group, talking to each rep along the way. Afterwards, I was interviewed by an engineering leader who asked mostly behavior style interviews. The interview questions themselves were pretty difficult as some asked about very specific situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a team member or members strongly disagreed with your action or ideas. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

they did a phone interview followed by an in person with multiple folks popping in and out. It was a very general resume review as well as explaination of the job followed by a few critical thinking questions which I breezed through.

Interview Questions

• 3 items you have to get across the river with 1 boat and rules of not being able to leave certain ones alone   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alcoa in March 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter on campus and handed over my resume. Got a call a few months later to schedule for a phone interview the next day. They asked mostly behavioral questions and a few about my background. It was very easy going and the interviewers were polite!

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging experience at your previous employment?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa (Davenport, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email by HR for a brief screening. We spoke the next day then he scheduled an interview with hiring manager a week later. After the phone interview with HR and hiring manager, I was sent an email that night for an onsite interview a week later. The interview day consisted of security and safety video then a plant tour. After an hour plant tour, it was a panel interview consisting of 4 ppl. Immediately after interview I was called the next day they wanted to make an offer. The offer was sent two days later and I had a week to make a decision. Offer signed and returned via email to HR.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to be a mechanical engineer? Why you chose Alcoa? Describe a time where you had to complete a project with no procedures or policies in place. You have to answer in star format.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa.

Interview

Once I applied through Indeed.com I was contacted by a recruiter within two days. I was at several interviews while being contacted by two voicemails and one e-mail, seemed there was some interest on their part. Went for a interview and plant tour. Interesting process but not rocket science as far as the tour was concerned. The interview took place in a conference room with 5 company reps including one from HR. Questions were the usual but I got the impression that they were feeling my willingness to work long hours including 7 days a week which was mentioned. I did notice one thing right away, all five of these managers looked as if they hadn't slept in a week. I did research on the company before hand but when I noticed none of them had any real excitement about the company my important questions were already answered. If I do get an offer I will most likely turn it down. I was told someone would contact me after all interviews were completed.

Interview Questions

• How does to prior experience relate to manufacturing? Do you have a problem with working extra hours. We have been working 7 days in a row is that a problem for you? How many hours a week have you worked in the past.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alcoa (Cranberry Township, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview then onsite to meet with management team. Many seemed to be very cocky and major turnoff - after meeting with them I easily understood why they had so much turnover and the unions are trying to organize - don't think they see THEY are the problem and keep turning over managers. One of those situations where they flew you in and 2 hours into an all day interview you knew you wanted no part of this place.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a negative culture? We've had a very negative culture and much management turnover.   Answer Question
    • How do you keep the union out? We've had several union drives and are barely able to keep them out.   Answer Question
    • Does it concern you that we have had so much management turnover or that we still need to make changes to our management?   Answer Question

Casting Technician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa (LaPorte, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was called for an interview after applying 3 years earlier and 1 year earlier. They didn't want to discuss the time issue. This was the 3 rd time going there for an interview. The last time I arrived for the interview and they had to cancel because someone "got hurt", couldn't be there. If I am late it would count against me, but they think it was ok.

Interview Questions

• 1 behavioral question about getting along with others. Safety questions. Questions about my knowledge of casting hot metal. They were very different people. The company managers were introverted.   1 Answer

I declined because they offered me a job well below my qualifications and education level qualify me for. They didn't even hire anyone for Casting Technician from the street so why was it posted>??

Engineer Training Program Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa (Whitehall, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

The process began with a phone interview where at the end of the call I was invited out to Whitehall, Mi for a day of interviews about a month after the phone conversation. The day of the interviews I was shown many of the plants that I would potentially be working in and met with about six different people who all reviewed my resume and asked relevant questions. They were also willing to answer any and all questions I had for them about their jobs and the company.

Interview Questions

• All questions were resume relevant and their were no trick questions.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Rotational Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alcoa (Pittsburg, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The initial interview took place on campus and was pretty informal and behavioral. Interviewer asked your typical behavioral questions and questioned several experiences/activities on my resume. Second round interview consisted of 6 short 30 minute interviews with executives in the rotational program. One technical interview that included a basic accounting quiz. Nothing too difficult for the most part.

Interview Questions

• What is Alcoa's stock price?
      What is depreciation expense's relationship to the 3 main financial statements?
      If you would like a lower working capital, would you want higher assets or lower assets?

Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Was contacted over the phone for an on-campus interview. The interviewer was quite nice and asked very basic behavioral questions. No accounting or finance questions were asked however the interviewer knew I didn't study finance (majored in another quantitative field). If you majored in finance be prepared to be asked some financial questions.

Interview Questions

• At the very end of the 30 min interview she asked me what else she should know about myself.   Answer Question