Alcoa

Alcoa Interview Questions in Knoxville, TN

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa.

I was contacted over the phone for an interview. Then had one interview in front of a panel of 4 people.

Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

interviewed at Alcoa in February 2013.

Applied online including a resume and a cover letter. I was set up with a 30 minute phone interview. Interview questions were quite difficult. As far as the technologies and tools the group used, it sounded like they were almost exclusively an Excel shop. I should have spent considerably more time learning about commodities pricing and the aluminum industry as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • If federal interest rates increase, what will the effect be on the price of metal?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa in November 2010.

Process was pretty standard. Company hires an outside firm to recruit potential candidates and review resumes submitted online for the position. In addition, there is a phone screen with the outside recruiter with standard type interview questions. Outside recruiter then narrows it down to 8-10 solid candidates and sends the resumes + pertinent info from phone screen to the manager of the position looking to be filled.

The manager went through the resumes with the other 2 members of team (Intern and Direct Supervisor), and the candidate list is narrowed down to 5-6. Once the list is narrowed down, in-person interviews are conducted.

I met with 3 people during my in-person at 30 minutes each. They were with the person who currently had the position I was interviewing for, my direct supervisor (Finance Manager), and the supervisor's supervisor (Controller of the business unit). Each of the 3 interviews were unique and the questions asked were selected by each interviewer personally. The first interview was with the person currently in the role. He covered the technical aspect and quizzed me on related topics. We got along immediately, so after a few minutes of formal questions the interview became more of a conversation around approaches to tackling certain issues, war stories, and I asked him alot of questions about the actual role. The second interview was with the Controller, and it was a little harder to get a read on. In my experience, this was the weirdest interview I've ever had. He didn't really dig much into my background, and I felt like there could've been more diligence on his part. Ultimately we ended up talking about soccer and high school as I had both those things in common with his children. The last interview was with my direct supervisor. She went completely off book, using almost the entire 30 minutes to tell me all kinds of random things about the company, position, struggles of the position, and Benefits. It was the only time I felt like I didn't get near enough time to talk in an interview.

They suggested with so many candidates left they might choose 2-3 to bring back in for a 2nd round of interviews and would let me know in a few days. 2 days later I got called with an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with Steamships before?   View Answer
    • Do you have any experience with SWAP accounting?   View Answer
    This company doesn't really give young employees much of a chance to negotiate. They offer you a number before you even get to talk to them about salary. In my case, I was able to leverage my experience and expertise in areas where they've lacked it in the past to get a sign-on bonus of 1 month's salary. From a base salary perspective, they really aren't that competitive. But they make up for it in other ways with Profit Sharing and a higher company match than most Fortune 500 companies.