Alcoa

Alcoa Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

3.1

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa in May 2014.

Started the interview process when I met with one of the VPs at Alcoa. The meeting was more for the company to get to know me, my background, technical experience, etc. I was then invited back for a set of interviews with four members of the team. The questions were behavioral based, no real technical questions. A lot of the questions were situational. Some examples were "have you ever had to talk between departments", "give an example of a time you had to stand up and lead", and other questions along these lines that match competencies (many companies use these). The interview process, from start to end, was personable unlike most companies I interviewed at. The conversations were more "laid back", so to speak. We were talking about their questions, their tasks they complete on a daily basis, etc. It was more of a discussion than interview which was a refreshing change in comparison to other interviews I was part of. The interviewers weren't afraid to be social, when noticing common ground like where we grew up, went to school, etc. It was overall a great experience, and actually prepared me for more interviews down the road that helped me get another position.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions they asked were expected. I just didn't expect to not be asked any technical questions.   Answer Question

Staff Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa.

online app, initial phone call from HR, first interview (group), second interview (group) - Simple STARS format. Offer or rejection in 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • If you could be any brand of cereal, what would you be?   View Answer

industry

BCP Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa in April 2013.

This was for an entry-level analyst in Alcoa's internal strategy and consulting group, based in Pittsburgh and New York. Got a call one month after applying online.

First round phone screening: fit and resume questions with a recruiter -- basic stuff.

Second round phone interviews: Back-to-back interviews with current analysts. First hour was fit questions and resume/behavioral questions -- again somewhat basic. Second hour was a short resume-based conversation followed by a business case. The case was straight-forward, dealing with whether or not a new product should be introduced.

Third round on-site interviews (didn't make it): 4 fit-based behavioral interviews with various consultants and analysts plus 2 in-person business case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical case: Alcoa manufactures the paper bags used by the microwave popcorn industry. A new technology has created a new type of bag, which makes the production of the bags more efficient. Should Alcoa sell this new type of bag to the popcorn makers?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alcoa in March 2013.

I applied online. After a few months got an email to schedule a phone interview. Interviewed by the hiring manager and couple of engineers on the team. General behavioral questions with some technical questions. Was mostly an interactive and friendly conversation.

No negotiation

Corporate Communication Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa in November 2011.

Invited to Pittsburgh for dinner with department leader and then interviews the next morning with others on the team. Treated very well and put up in nice, nearby hotel. The people and work culture seemed upbeat.

My complaint is that I was asked to provide five references BEFORE going to the on-site interview. I did not like having to call on my references in this way (making them fill out a lengthy, complex online SurveySkills form) before I passed the in-person interviews. Since I was not offered the position (perhaps due to a weak in-person interview result), I didn't like having to "tax" my references' in this way.

I would recommend to other interview candidates that they decline providing their references to SkillSurvey until Alcoa/HR has concluded that they still want you after the in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you were hired, what would you do to acclimate yourself on your first day on the job?   Answer Question

Senior Instructional Design Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alcoa in August 2011.

Need 5 references including former managers. That was a pain. Otherwise, the recruiter was friendly and I heard back within 2 days.

Project Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Alcoa in April 2011.

i was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview after which I was invited for a physical interview at pittsburgh. received a phone call the following day with an offer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alcoa in January 2011.

1. Phone interview with HR
    2. In person interview both with HR and Hiring Manager

Very nice people, great work atmosphere.
    Everyone that works there seems to be very happy and proud about their company.
    You should read as much as you can about the company's latest news; especially their "green" efforts.

Commodity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Alcoa in August 2010.

The company does a panel interview with situational questions in the first interview round. The next round of interviews was with the peers. The last round was with management. The interviews all took place within a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If I would expect an increase or promotion upon eating an MBA.   View Answer
    Negotiated salary. Vacation was not allowed.

Information Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alcoa in March 2008.

1) Usually an initial short interview that's rather easy, with a few questions about yourself. This is where recruiters look for experience, education, and diversity.

2)If you pass that interview, then you get offered a chance for an all day on site interview. The on-site interview consists of 5 one hour long panel interviews. Each panel consists of 3-4 people who will be department or group leaders. Each panel has a topic to cover. They will talk for twenty minutes about their topic about Alcoa. Then they use behaviorial questioning and rotate asking you questions for about 30 minutes. They end by asking if you have an questions.

*You will look better in the interview if you feel comfortable talking about yourself in front of small groups of people and can think up intelligent questions to ask them in return.

3)After the on-site interview you will submit a form for a background and credit check.

4)If you get an offer, I believe that's when you have to set up a drug test and medical exam.

Interview Questions
    • Questions all consisted of typical behavioral questioning such as: Describe a time when you needed to motivate another team member?   Answer Question
    At an entry level salaries are often defined by pay grade. Within each paygrade is some flexibility. A grade 12 starts at $50,000 for example but could be paid anywhere from $50,000 to $54,000. I was told that my offer was non-negotiable. They seem somewhat rigid.