Alcoa

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Analyst Interview

Staff Analyst
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alcoa.

Interview Details – online app, initial phone call from HR, first interview (group), second interview (group) - Simple STARS format. Offer or rejection in 2 weeks

Interview Question – If you could be any brand of cereal, what would you be?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – industry

Intern Interview

Intern
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alcoa in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. After a few months got an email to schedule a phone interview. Interviewed by the hiring manager and couple of engineers on the team. General behavioral questions with some technical questions. Was mostly an interactive and friendly conversation.

Interview Question – What motivates you to do well in your area of study?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

BCP Analyst Interview

BCP Analyst
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Alcoa in April 2013.

Interview Details – This was for an entry-level analyst in Alcoa's internal strategy and consulting group, based in Pittsburgh and New York. Got a call one month after applying online.

First round phone screening: fit and resume questions with a recruiter -- basic stuff.

Second round phone interviews: Back-to-back interviews with current analysts. First hour was fit questions and resume/behavioral questions -- again somewhat basic. Second hour was a short resume-based conversation followed by a business case. The case was straight-forward, dealing with whether or not a new product should be introduced.

Third round on-site interviews (didn't make it): 4 fit-based behavioral interviews with various consultants and analysts plus 2 in-person business case interviews.

Interview Question – Hypothetical case: Alcoa manufactures the paper bags used by the microwave popcorn industry. A new technology has created a new type of bag, which makes the production of the bags more efficient. Should Alcoa sell this new type of bag to the popcorn makers?   View Answer

Project Engineering Interview

Project Engineering
Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Alcoa in April 2011.

Interview Details – i was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview after which I was invited for a physical interview at pittsburgh. received a phone call the following day with an offer

Interview Questions

Corporate Communication Interview

Corporate Communication
Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Alcoa in November 2011.

Interview Details – Invited to Pittsburgh for dinner with department leader and then interviews the next morning with others on the team. Treated very well and put up in nice, nearby hotel. The people and work culture seemed upbeat.

My complaint is that I was asked to provide five references BEFORE going to the on-site interview. I did not like having to call on my references in this way (making them fill out a lengthy, complex online SurveySkills form) before I passed the in-person interviews. Since I was not offered the position (perhaps due to a weak in-person interview result), I didn't like having to "tax" my references' in this way.

I would recommend to other interview candidates that they decline providing their references to SkillSurvey until Alcoa/HR has concluded that they still want you after the in-person interviews.

Interview Question – If you were hired, what would you do to acclimate yourself on your first day on the job?   Answer Question

Senior Instructional Design Specialist Interview

Senior Instructional Design Specialist
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Alcoa in August 2011.

Interview Details – Need 5 references including former managers. That was a pain. Otherwise, the recruiter was friendly and I heard back within 2 days.

Interview Questions

Communications Interview

Communications
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Alcoa in January 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview with HR
2. In person interview both with HR and Hiring Manager

Very nice people, great work atmosphere.
Everyone that works there seems to be very happy and proud about their company.
You should read as much as you can about the company's latest news; especially their "green" efforts.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question

Information Technology Intern Interview

Information Technology Intern
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alcoa in March 2008.

Interview Details – 1) Usually an initial short interview that's rather easy, with a few questions about yourself. This is where recruiters look for experience, education, and diversity.

2)If you pass that interview, then you get offered a chance for an all day on site interview. The on-site interview consists of 5 one hour long panel interviews. Each panel consists of 3-4 people who will be department or group leaders. Each panel has a topic to cover. They will talk for twenty minutes about their topic about Alcoa. Then they use behaviorial questioning and rotate asking you questions for about 30 minutes. They end by asking if you have an questions.

*You will look better in the interview if you feel comfortable talking about yourself in front of small groups of people and can think up intelligent questions to ask them in return.

3)After the on-site interview you will submit a form for a background and credit check.

4)If you get an offer, I believe that's when you have to set up a drug test and medical exam.

Interview Question – Questions all consisted of typical behavioral questioning such as: Describe a time when you needed to motivate another team member?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At an entry level salaries are often defined by pay grade. Within each paygrade is some flexibility. A grade 12 starts at $50,000 for example but could be paid anywhere from $50,000 to $54,000. I was told that my offer was non-negotiable. They seem somewhat rigid.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcoa interview questions and advice in Pittsburgh, PA. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Alcoa employees and interview candidates.