AlixPartners

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.3

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners.

Hiring process included phone screen, five interviews, and extensive testing. Testing included IQ, personality, and accounting test. Interviewed with Associates, Vice Presidents, Directors, and Managing Directors. Interview were approximately 30 minutes in length.

Interview Questions
    • If you supervisor was in the room, what would he/she say is your major weakness.   Answer Question
    Negotiated with corporate HR and business leaders.

IMS Associate Interview

The interview process is complicated but not that difficult if you know what they are looking for. The IMS team looks for people who are willing to work hard, travel, work hard, operate independently, travel and did i mention work hard? There is the IQ test (no tricks there) and the testing which looks for what i mentioned above. Individual interviews are hit or miss - I had four interviewers who weren't too difficult and if you know someone at the firm it will give you a HUGE advantage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AlixPartners in April 2014.

I was very unhappy which how unprofessional the HR was. Very unpleasant experience, i would not recommend this to anyone.

SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AlixPartners.

They first do a phone interview to gather basic information on skills and qualifications

Interview Questions
    • Mostly their questions were geared to a high view of what you would do in a given situation. Since this was entry level.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AlixPartners in October 2013.

Phone interview. Recruiter made me call her. She answered on speakerphone. It was apparent she was doing work in the background and was difficult to hear her. Asked first if I had Business Objects and Hyperion experience. I said I have SAP experience but no Hyperion. She then asked again if I have Business Objects experience not realizing Business Objects IS SAP...She then went through my resume and cut me off many times while I was explaining my positions. After about 20 minutes she said "well the person we're looking for has to have both BO and Hyperion experience so I don't think we're a good fit." I asked her then why did she waste another 20 minutes of my time going through my background. She didn't have an answer. I asked to talk to her manager at which point she rudely said "I'm a Director, so I'm not going to pass you on to anyone."

I have never felt so disrespected on an interview before. For as many great things as I've heard about AlixPartners I have to say I'm thoroughly disappointed with how I was treated especially because I was referred by a Sr. VP at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners in August 2013.

AP has a five step interview process that took place over several months for me (might be uncommon): 1. HR phone screen, 2. consultant phone screen, 3. In-office "super" day with case/behavioral interviews, 4. In-office aptitude/behavioral testing, 5. Practice-lead phone screen. Step 3 was clearly the most intense and stressful, but everyone on AP's end was very professional and supporting. My only issue with the process was the huge spans of time between steps.

Interview Questions
    • The case interviews in Step 3 can be pretty industry-specific, but not impossible to work through.   Answer Question

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners in July 2013.

Started with Phone Interview of about an hour normal background interview questions . Then had a 1/2 day in the office in the office with phone calls, tests, and in person interviews. The process sounds very brutal, but once you are there, it is not as bad as it seems. Everyone was very friendly, and made you feel comfortable while going through the process.

Senior Consultant/Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners in May 2013.

I was referred to Alix through some colleagues who were familiar with the firm. They are creating a new consulting division and they were looking for new talent. I was contacted by someone in HR in Dallas with the message "somehow your CV landed on my desk".

Interview Questions
    • Alix has a decentralized interview process. HR isn't competent to handle senior hires. Extended process with little communication. Long testing and poor expectations around next steps or preparation for the upcoming interviews. I was asked to spend almost two days in testing and interviews. When I mentioned that I needed to return to work for some client meetings, they appeared offended. I found the process unpleasant and the HR team was often rude in their communications with me.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AlixPartners in July 2012.

Contacted by headhunter on LinkedIn. One fit screen with a recruiting Director. Two fit, experience, behavior interviews with VPs and Directors. Personality, fit and IQ assessments. One last conversation with 2 MDs (offer made during the conversation)

Interview Questions
    • Being a relatively senior firm overall, past experience and what you bring to the table appears to be key   Answer Question
    Some wiggle room. Mostly based on your experience and past compensation. Bonus structure quite unique and attractive.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners in March 2012.

Alix Partners LLP is a company that listens to tests rather than people. I had been working my way through multiple interviews with them over the course of two months and passed every single one with flying colors. I had lunchs with employees and management, was given grand tours, was sold on why I should choose to work with them instead of taking another offer and then finally got to the testing phase. I was warned by the recruiter that there is a 90% failure rate of the tests, but not to worry. I was confident because of the feedback I was getting from the person who would be my direct manager, and the team members I was working with. I went in, did the testing and then was summerly dismissed with no explanation except that in two weeks I could find out the results for myself to discover why I was discounted as a candidate. Team members and management reached out and apologized. They said that there was nothing they could do. I moved on.

The testing process is a set of 3 personality inventories, and two IQ/aptitude tests. The average time to take these tests is four and a half hours. I took about four hours to do mine. While the testing experience was not unpleasant in and of itself. The realization that the management would rather take results from testing than use the knowledge they have from getting to know someone and listening to their own team.

I strongly suggest that you seek other opportunities while interviewing with Alix Partners. Their process is slow, demanding, and overall it doesn't matter what anyone says to you, only what the tests at the end say.