AlixPartners Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.3

Vice President - Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There were so many levels to the interview process that it felt as though I was applying to the CIA. The process was rather inefficient and I felt like I was having the same conversation multiple times with different members of the organization.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you convinced a customer to take a particular strategy or course of action.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

Very lengthy. The testing and interview process took about 5 hours. They want to make sure you know what you are doing, Microsoft Office, typing, basic math, etc. There is even an interview with the on site psychology expert. There is also an interview with your prospective boss and then with potential coworkers. Which is nice to get a feel for who you will be working with. My advice is to eat a large breakfast before going in, you won't get much of a break. Tests are timed.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about AlixPartners, why did you choose us?   1 Answer

IMS Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AlixPartners in March 2015.

Interview

Unlike some reviews, I did not get to the face to face interview. I applied through an employee referral as well as their online website. I got rejected by their ATS but I was able to to use the employee referral to the next steps. The process took 4 weeks. I got interviewed by HR, a Director, and a VP. These interviews were phone interviews that lasted an hour. I was impressed by how professional HR and my conversations were with the VP and Director. The phone interviews were to establish cultural fit and what I can provide to AP with my background. The format was very conversational and not adversarial as I expected. I thought I had a good rapport with the VP and Director. Things moved quickly and I was waiting for feedback from the MD who made the hiring decision to move on. Unfortunately, he was on vacation and I had to wait an extra week until he returned. Once he returned, I waited a couple of days for him to review feedback and I was notified that he would not want me to move forward to the next steps. I believe the success in getting to the next steps with AP was to work with its competitors (McKinsey, Bain, etc...). Most of the bios on the AP website are people who worked at prior management consultant firms. I believe that one who has not worked at prior management consulting firms would have a very slim chance in the AP interview process. AP is extremely picky in its hiring process in spite of the numerous open positions.

Interview Questions

• Describe your background and what can you provide to AP? Why do you want to work for AP?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY).

Interview

I first went through a phone interview, then interviewed in person and spoke with 4 team members. After passing that first round, I went in for a personality test and quantitative test that were done remotely on a computer, and then had a further personality test with an in-house psychologist. After passing that round, I went in for a second round of in-person interviews with more senior management-level members, after which I got my offer. The process was pretty long, with approximately 1 week between each step.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Case Question: Is it more profitable for a cab driver to either 1) pick up passengers randomly around Manhattan or 2) only concentrate on picking up passengers to/from airports   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

Long process. 3 Phone interviews one with the recruiter. Then they fly you out to their east coast office. There you will be interviewed by 5 directors or principals. Afterwards is the assessment test at your nearest office.

Interview Questions

• Business case about ops. Should they close a factory or not.   Answer Question

Management Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough, it included personality assessments, IQ Based Assessment, and phone interview. Overall it was a very thorough process and it was clear they care about hiring the best talent.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

Hiring process included phone screen, five interviews, and extensive testing. Testing included IQ, personality, and accounting test. Interviewed with Associates, Vice Presidents, Directors, and Managing Directors. Interview were approximately 30 minutes in length.

Interview Questions

• If you supervisor was in the room, what would he/she say is your major weakness.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated with corporate HR and business leaders.

IMS Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process is complicated but not that difficult if you know what they are looking for. The IMS team looks for people who are willing to work hard, travel, work hard, operate independently, travel and did i mention work hard? There is the IQ test (no tricks there) and the testing which looks for what i mentioned above. Individual interviews are hit or miss - I had four interviewers who weren't too difficult and if you know someone at the firm it will give you a HUGE advantage.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AlixPartners (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

I was very unhappy which how unprofessional the HR was. Very unpleasant experience, i would not recommend this to anyone.

SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AlixPartners (Southfield, MI).

Interview

They first do a phone interview to gather basic information on skills and qualifications

Interview Questions

• Mostly their questions were geared to a high view of what you would do in a given situation. Since this was entry level.   Answer Question