All Star Directories, Inc. Interview Questions & Reviews

4 interviews

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at All Star Directories, Inc..

Was contacted by a local recruiting company for a position at ASD. The recruiters seemed nice but looks like they were blissfully unaware of the job requirements. No phone screen, they just asked me to come in for in person interviews. After getting there, the first interview was by a SDET and SDE. Both were bored out of their minds and kept looking at the watch repeatedly. In the second interview, they asked me "What according to you is this job position about?". I told them that from what I know ASD is looking for someone with strong Java and DB skills. The 2 SDE's then tell me that is not true and that they are looking for a UI developer, cut the interview short and walk me outside.

I have had my fair share of interviews to know that before you call in a candidate, you are supposed to read their resume. My resume in no way stated that I was a UI developer. So thanks for wasting my time. Worst interviewing experience ever!

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at All Star Directories, Inc. in August 2012.

Firstly, the Hiring Manager called me 20 minutes past the scheduled time. She immediately went into a list of questions and was reading them off as if I was taking an exam in school. She would read a question, listen to my answer, say "OK", then read the next question. It felt cold and impersonal and as if she wasn't interested in talking to me as a person and wasn't interested in discovering who I am and what I can bring to the team. When asked what they were looking for from the new team member, she indicated that they were looking for a "laborer".

She argued with me about whether my home state of Alabama is "East Coast" or not (I think I would know if it was) and then said that the next steps would involve a Skype session so they wouldn't have to "waste the time and expense" of bringing me out there to the offices.

It all felt very assembly line and as if I was just another applicant desperate to find work who was expected to fight over whatever scraps she threw my way. I am not a kid straight out of school. I am an experienced professional who excels in my field. I am currently employed and am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can be selective about the companies I choose to work for. I did not appreciate to be made to feel as if I was inadequate to even be interested in the position to begin with.

It seems that all she is interested in is a warm body that can push buttons and churn out deliverables.

I have been subject to many interviews and everything about this one put me off.

Interview Questions
    • There was a logic question and a couple of questions about Linux and SQL. Not even worth repeating since I advise anyone looking at this to run away from this company.   Answer Question

Digital Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at All Star Directories, Inc. in November 2011.

I initially applied for a Senior Copywriter position in August 2011. After about 5 phone calls and several invites to come in for a personal interview (many of which were cancelled), I finally landed another phone screen with a hiring manager and then an in-person interview with her, too. I was given a homework assignment, but it seemed to fall flat and not impress.... I was asked why I hadn't though of X,Y, or Z, but that was not in the assignment I was given, which did, in fact, take an entire day to prepare. I was met with opposition from the start of the in-person interview. The woman interviewing me seemed overwhelmed and in over her head and perhaps she was desperate for her own job? That's the impression I was left with... and what made it worse was that she faced me with her hands folded across her chest the entire time. If that isn't a sign of being distant and closed off to me from the start... I don't know what is. Her body language was horrible and I knew immediately I would not be happy in such a work environment. I have also heard from others that the turnover is high, no one knows what's going on (the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing), and there is generally just a foul mood in the office. I felt relieved NOT to get an offer. The interviews themselves were not difficult, but there was no courtesy shown the job-seeker whatsoever. I know it is an employer's market right now, but there should still be some respect. Also, the position kept being dumbed down... from senior copywriter to senior writer/editor and then just digital writer/editor. I think they wanted to hire someone young who would be cheap. Advertising for senior writers/editors on Craigslist is not exactly something that gives serious job-seekers much confidence. I would avoid this place like the plague. Luckily, I have accepted a terrific job offer out-of-state.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions. I was given a homework assignment and presented it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at All Star Directories, Inc. in September 2011.

Was contacted by a recruiter who talked with me about my experience. He presented my resume to the hiring manager who then requested a phone interview. The phone interview felt impersonal and the interviewers (the manager and a dev) didn't initially feel inviting, and the product was not immediately interesting. I declined to come in for an in person interview when they requested, but the recruiter convinced me I should at least talk with them to see what they are like in person. I was warmly welcomed for my in person interview, the manager who seemed uninviting on the phone was actually very warm and friendly in person - a manager I would truly enjoy working for, I believe. The interview questions were a mix of soft and technical questions from the manager and another dev in one, and two devs in each of the next two interviews. The people were nice and the questions were reasonable and fair. I left the interview feeling like it was definitely a place I could work.

Interview Questions
    • A palindromic number reads the same both ways. The largest palindrome made from the product of two 2-digit numbers is 9009 = 91 x 99.

Find the largest palindrome made from the product of two 3-digit numbers.
        View Answer

I had a competing offer from another company that sparked my interest more than All Star Directories.

Worked for All Star Directories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!