Allen & Overy

Summer Internship Interview

case study, a group of 6-7 people working on a case

Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allen & Overy in November 2013.

Assesment on case study which you are given 30mins to prepare and then present and disucss for 15mins. Then competency interview which last for around an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Asks too many competency questions expecting different examples for each.   Answer Question

Document Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allen & Overy.

CV and covering letter submitted via A&Os website. Followed by invitation to interview. Interview lasted 3 hours (start 9.00 - 12.00hr). Interviewed with two/three other candidates by 1 lead HR person, 2 other junior HR persons and manager of position that I was applying for. Interview consisted of three phases.

Initial phase was a group exercise/discussion about prioritising workload. In the exercise the scenario was that we had been asked by the client to do 20 jobs but we only had capacity to do 3. We then had to, as a group, decide which ones we would and wouldn't do and give reasons why.

The second phase was a one-on-one competency based interview, and the questions related to the job description. I can't remember anything particularly challenging, the interviewer was very pleasant and open.

The third phase was an 'inbox' exercise. Basically I was put in front of a computer, asked to deal with any queries received via phone or email. A few queries arrived by both telephone and email and you just had to deal with them as well as you could. There was a HR person sitting in the room at this time and she watched how I dealt with it. I asked her quite a lot of questions to be honest because I wasn't clear as to what I was meant to be doing.

After the interview they made contact with me pretty quick about the offer, maybe within a day or two.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any particularly bad or difficult questions. They did ask at the end of the interview whether you had any salary expectations.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate but I didn't push it. You probably should push them for more money at this point. They didn't give me very long to accept their offer. I was given a few days to decide.

Marketing Manager Interview

four interviews that were facilitated by a recruiter

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Allen & Overy in June 2012.

Pre-interview with HR - standard questions. Interview with partner and SA via video conference. Post-interview coffee with other SAs.

Interview Questions
    • Not applicable - pretty good questions - all expected.   Answer Question
    Took a long time to get a formal offer.

Learning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Allen & Overy in May 2012.

Two interviews, both times the date/time were rearranged
    No feedback given after interview two, I had to request it

Vacation Scheme/Training Contract Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Allen & Overy in January 2012.

I first applied for a place on A&O's summer vacation scheme and then later converted this into an offer of a training contract. The process was quite long winded and involved a long online application, then two interviews for the Vacation scheme (one CV based, on case study based), with an additional interview at the end of the vacation scheme. I was interviewed by one senior associate and two partners.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part by far was the case study interview which will be a part of the recruitment process for all vacations schemes and training contracts. You're presented with a large volume of information relating to a transaction and are asked to advise the client (the interviewing partner) based on a long list of questions with only 20 minutes to prepare. It really tests you're general commercial knowledge and sense as well as any technical legal knowledge you may have (n.b. it's perfectly possible to do without a legal background - I read History as an undergraduate and had no formal legal knowledge when I interviewed)   Answer Question
    No negotiation; graduate position.

Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Allen & Overy in February 2009.

As it was a trainee position only one interview was held.

IT Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Allen & Overy in January 2009.

Very professional yet not uncomfortably formal. Asked good questions. Interview was lengthy enough to get all I wanted to get across. Was asked relevent questions to the role.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked what I'd do if I won the lottery.   View Answer
    I always negotiate. And it went well.