AllianceBernstein Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

The initial process was with Human Resources, which was a phone interview. The next day I was called to schedule an onsite which was actually for the following day...fast process. The onsite interview consisted of meeting 8 different people. It was tiring but gave me a great sense of the team and the people I would be working with. With meeting 8 people it is also fairly repetitive after awhile, so enjoy talking about yourself. Also, be prepared to stay alert.

Interview Questions

• They were both basic questions of past experiences, how I handle situations. There were also the standard question, brain teasers...How many airplanes land at LGA a day. Its about the process not the answer.   Answer Question

SMA Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (San Antonio, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

They only do a few interviews where they just go through your experience and ask very few questions. Instead of recording the call and filling out the report they just walk you through slowly so they can fill out their report as you go. In-person interview was just a review of experience and asking when you will start.

Associate Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, and was invited to interview with the VP over the phone for the initial interview, lasting 20 minutes. The phone call consisted of behavioral questions, and the VP discussing the position in greater detail. I was then invited to interview on-site in NYC the following week, where I met with 3 people: 2 AVPs and the VP I spoke with from the phone call. Each interview was 45 minutes in length, and the questions were purely behavioral to determine goodness of fit with the team. No brainteasers, as others have said below on Glassdoor. Each of the interviewers read off a printed HR questions list, so they didn't prepare much at all before the interview. They asked the following: • Why are you interested in this position? • What do you understand about this position? • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict between work and personal life. • What is your greatest weakness? • How would your previous manager describe you? • Tell me about a time you realized you made a mistake, and how did you handle it? • Tell me about a time when you assisted a co-worker with a mistake he/she made • Tell me about a project that you led at work • What is the most stressful situation you've been in at work? • Tell me about a time when you proactively tackled an issue before your client was aware? • Of all the positions you're currently interviewing for, which are you most interested in? • What other types of jobs, specifically, are you applying for right now? + A few questions specific to my resume The team really grills you on behavioral questions, so be sure to have a lot of workplace examples. If you say an example that doesn't precisely fit the question they asked, they will call you out and ask how that was relevant to what they asked. Very hard-nosed group, and very selective with their process. It is an accomplishment alone to be invited to the on-site interview with AllianceBernstein. Hope this helps.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict between work and personal life.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein.

Interview

After a phone interview was given an interview at the company. The interview went well. I spoke to the director of the intern program as well as two other associates. They told me they would give me a response with in a week. However, they never answered me. I tried to contact them to no avail. It's been over three months. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to sort a list, find avg, mode and median.   Answer Question

Private Client Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had three separate interviews in one day, one after the other at thirty minutes each. I was kept to a strict schedule which was frustrating because for example my first interviewer was ten minutes late. I met with an office manager then two private client associates. The position was for an opening on a PWM team. I was told the two associates weren't part of the team I would potentially work for, which I thought was strange (maybe you'd meet with the team in a 2nd round interview - but I don't know since I didn't make it that far). It was more of a "fit" and personality type interview. They were no technical questions. Most were along the lines of how do you work in teams, what do you know about AB, and the role, etc.

Senior Quantitative Research IT Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Straight forward interview with technology and business questions. Felt it was waste of time despite clearing all rounds only to be told that they are filling it internally. VERY DISAPPOINTING after dragging the process for nearly 60 days.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein (San Antonio, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for one position, and was contacted for a different position. Consisted of a phone interview, a panel interview, then one last phone interview. There was a tight time constraint so I feel it was a bit expedited.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about my qualifications, while I was expecting more behavioral questions. They will ask one question to test your thought process. My first was "Name five different uses for a paperclip besides holding paper" and my second was "Explain the rule to a given sequence of numbers, 2-4-6". The second question, you list other numbers and the interviewer tells you whether or not the rule applies to it. Ask the interviewer varying sequences to find out what the rule may be until you get it correct.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein.

Interview

First applied online, heard back within a week, AB HR called first for general questions, and then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Received verbal offer after 2 on-site interviews. It took a little over 1 month from start to finish.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They will negotiate with you before they send you a written offer letter

Private Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein.

Interview

Applied online through my university and got a phone call interview. Hiring manager was nice and went through typical behavioral type questions. Wasn't too difficult but never got a call back, I did email asking what I could do to improve my interview skills but I never got a response.

Private Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AllianceBernstein.

Interview

Applied online; Had a phone interview with HR, another phone interview with an associate and an onsite interview with three senior members of the team. The process was very quick because they had one opening in one office they wanted to fill.

Interview Questions

• Role play question: How would you respond if a client wanted to pull out of this investments if the market dropped.   Answer Question