Alliant Energy

Alliant Energy Interview Questions

3.3

Human Resources Assistant I Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Energy in April 2014.

First initial part, phone interview and then face to face interview. After the interview, I tour the office and then sat down with the hiring manager. She went over her day to day operations. It was a very long interview.
    The interview questions part was about an 1.5 hours and the tour/job shadow was 1.5. It took over 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were behavioral.
      There was a question about safety.

These are their Corporate Competencies: Keep in mind

Results Orientation
      Teamwork

Answer Question

Telecommunication Engineer II Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Alliant Energy.

It starts off with technical questions, then leads to behavioral questions. The technical questions are somewhat involved so make sure to review days in advance. Eg.

Interview Questions
    • Tech questions:
      DCE vs DTE, OSPF vs RIP on IP networks, how many network portals are available by looking at an address, questions on SR232, how does TDM work?

Behavioral questions:
      Tell me about a time when you found it difficult to accept a personal reponsibility for your decisions.
      Tell me about a time when it was challenging to keep your records/documentation accurate and up to date.
      Describe how you have remained vigilant in monitoring processes for potential problems.
      Describe an effort you undertook to ensure that diversity was accepted and facilitated in your work area.
      How have you demonstrated your commitment to safety in the workplace?

View Answer

Plant Helper Coal Yard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheboygan, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheboygan, WI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Energy in July 2011.

I was contacted by phone to schedule a test that assessed skills relating to the job which I was applying. They were kind enough to call my local library and set up a testing there to save me a 7 hour drive from IN to WI. I was contacted two days later and was told that I passed and was offered the option of a phone interview or face to face interview. I chose the over the phone interview which lasted 1.5 hrs. It consisted of the manager and foreman of the coal yard. The interview was relaxed. I was contacted 6 days later and offered the job which I accepted. Overall a great experience top to bottom.

There was no negotiation. I was very pleased with my starting rate.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alliant Energy in May 2011.

Alliant uses behavior interviewing mixed with 3 job related and 3 questions related to your experience and qualifications. 4 people interviewed me: 3 directors and 1 HR.

Right away they asked me to verbalize my qualifications for the position without presenting my resume. Luckily for me I had a qualifications summary already printed out.

The behavioral questions were very typical. What would you do type questions.

The job related questions asked me how I would handle team issues and internal customer relationships

The qualification questions asked me to describe my past achievements as they would related to this position.

The interviewers were very nice to me and the meeting room was comfortable. I choked up once and one of the interviewers offed me his unopened water.

The clothing attire was professional casual and the office is only about 5 years old so it is in very nice condition. The cafe was clean and offered several choices for breakfast and lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about your feelings of an IT driven support structure   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Energy in July 2010.

Short phone interview followed by an on-site interview. On-site interview consisted of multiple interviewers, combination of behavioral and technical questions. Interviewers took turns asking questions. Diagrams could be used during technical questions. Interviewers ranged from engineers to management-level.

Did not negotiate

Senior Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Energy in June 2009.

Alliant utilizes the SHARE (Situational, Hindrance, Action, Response, and Evaluation) model. Approach it as "I/me" not the team.

Interview Questions
    • There are a variety of questions / scenarios to choose from. Understand the requested attributes on the job description and prepare a "situation" to explain.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

On-site interview

No negotiation

Employee Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alliant Energy in January 2010.

As with all interviews at this employer, it was a behavioral interview. Questions were asked based on the Company's behavioral interview criteria, and key points based on the job being posted. For example, if one of the key points was Time Management, an example question might be: "Talk about a time when you had a deadline coming up, but were given a last minute task that was higher-priority. How did you deal with the situation, and what was the outcome?" At this point, the person being interviewed should come up with a specific example, and one that will "WOW" the interviewer(s).

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you have had to work with difficult co-workers. How did you handle that situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Alliant Energy in March 2009.

I applied online for an engineering position and was soon called to scheduled a phone interview. It lasted about an hour and basically consisted of company background and field specific questions, half and half. Within a few days, I received an email of an on site interview.

Marketing Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Energy in February 2009.

Applications are submitted online and screened for key words from the job description. HR calls you and conducts a phone screening interview. The face-to-face interview is with the hiring manager, sometimes the hiring manager's supervisor, a co-worker, and other key employees. This interview is a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall specific questions. There was one about diversity.   Answer Question