Alliant Techsystems

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.5

Manufacturing Engineer I Interview

Applied via ATK careerlink, received phone screening questions, these were essentially basic questions asking specific details about the position I had applied for, and how my experience correlated. I then undertook two phone interviews. Interviews were very basic, essentially explain each milestone on my resume, in great detail. Was then informed they were going with a candidate with more experience in the direct field. Process took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • General questions related to position, none unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Progrma Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alliant Techsystems in November 2014.

The process was very rushed at first, they seemed desperate to get me in for any interview in less than two days, so i saw that as a good sing and rearranged my schedule to accompodate them, my fisrt mistake, they did not desreve that. They seemed very relaxed, but the leader of the site was late and the others seemed un prepeared and not experienced in business. They did not dress for the interview, they dressed very inapropriately for a professional interview which should have been my first signal. They sat around a conference room and tried to be informal, but it looked hard for them. they did not know really what they wanted and did not have good answers to questions i asked such as why di the previous emplyee leave and whay they were not promoting form within. They were in a rush to hire someone and i feel after the fact that it was not a good fit as they did nto know what they wanted. I felt we had a good meeting, and when i left i asked "so when will i hear back from you" and they said by this Friday, and since i was traveling the next few weeks, i had to follow-up with them two weeks later and had to ask them what the status was and they said "oh" yes were are goign another direction. VEERY unprofesional, a clear sing that theis is not a very well put together company.

Interview Questions
    • Do you like guns? Seemd odd and out of place, but i got the sense that they are struggling with their business and do not know whow to make it grow.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Alliant Techsystems.

I submitted an application on line and was contacted by the recruiter in about 2 months for a phone interview with the hiring manager. This went well and an in-person interview was scheduled about a month later. From submission to offer was about 4 months.

Interview Questions
    • I had 4 individual interviews and the questions were general in nature for this level of position   Answer Question

Analysis Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearfield, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearfield, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Alliant Techsystems in October 2014.

After submitting your resume online, if they're interested, they'll call you for a possible phone interview, or move directly to one on-site structured behavioral interview. The interviewer will often offer a tour of the facilities after the interview. The questions are highly standardized that often starts with: "Tell me about a time when you X". X being "dealt with a insurmountable challenge", "deal with management", etc. The interviewers like stories. You'll need to take a drug test (they have a zero tolerance for drugs), in addition to filling out an online form where they'll ask an outside firm to check your education, criminal record, and previous employer(s) (basically background check). After you're hired, they may conduct additional background checks if you need access to the classified programs.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is what are your weaknesses. The interviewer will often dig deeper and expect a candid response. What they're looking for are: are you cocky or arrogant? do you have a hard time following orders? do you play well with others? how do you deal with conflict? do you get bored easily? A lot of employees have either left, been fired, or been laid off in the past -- now that the company is rebuilding after 2008, they want to avoid future problems.   Answer Question
    They'll give you a phone call and e-mail you a salary/wage and a packet describing the benefits. The benefits is: take it or leave it (you can't decline to benefits in order to get more salary). Since this is a large company, pay is highly standardized, basically a cut-and-paste from websites like salary.com. HR are the ones who put together the offer, if you want to negotiate, they're nice people and will work with you. You have about three business days to call them back after they make the initial offer.

Project Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alliant Techsystems.

Spoke with the recruiters at a campus career fair. They called me that night to schedule an interview the next day. After about 2 months I got a couple calls from different groups within the company, just trying to see where would be the best fit for me in the company. Got an official offer a week or two later.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical behavioral questions. Nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alliant Techsystems.

The first time I attended a four week training course. I scored 100% on all the tests and was hired within two months of completing the course. I volunteered for a layoff several years later. In 2005 my old job was available but it was on the defense program side. I was offered the job because of my prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't really a question. When I arrived for the interview the second time I found out i was being interviewed by three managers. Once they found out my experience. two managers told the other manager I was a perfect fit for his department.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Techsystems in February 2014.

Met the recruiting team at career fair, got offered an interview on the spot for the next day. Interview was 1:1, ~45 minutes long, fairly laid back. Mostly behavioral related along with questions about my resume. Never heard from them again after being told I'd get a call in two weeks, even after sending a follow up email. They kept mentioning that a requirement was to be able to live in Utah, apparently they have a high turnaround due to their location.

Interview Questions
    • A time you dealt with a difficult individual, customer service example, why you want to work for ATK   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Magna, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Magna, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alliant Techsystems.

I applied for the job and it took about 2 months before a call for an interview came. I was flown out to Utah for an on-site interview, they were very accomodating. I was told to arrive just before lunch and was treated to lunch on-site. I had lunch with other candidates and also several managers. After eating lunch, we were split into groups and taken on seperate tours. After the tour, a panel interview took place. The questions were pretty standard behavioral questions, nothing too surprising.

Director of Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Alliant Techsystems.

Great interview environment, interviewees were friendly, my trip was well orgnaized, no questions regarding expenses, very accommodating. I hit it off with the interview team, they gave me a tour of thier facilities, spend a lot of time with me to make me feel comfortable with the position and where the company was going.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a lot of questions about process knowledge, how I would approach change.   Answer Question

Tool Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brigham City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brigham City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alliant Techsystems in October 2013.

I applied online and it took about 3 weeks to get a call for a phone interview. The interview went very well, but a previous phone interview with other managers a month before went very well too and never got called for in-person interview. To speed up the process and ensure an in-person interview, I decided to visit the area at my own expense to get the interview and at the same time interview with other companies in the area. They liked my offer and scheduled the interview. They asked many personality questions and very few technical questions. I called 2 weeks later and they said I made it to the top 3 finalist, but another candidate already had aerospace tooling experience so they decided to go with him.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you see a fellow employee performing very poorly?

What is your greatest weakness and how do you compensate for it?

Answer Question