Allianz Life

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Allianz Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Allianz Life was a pleasure to work with and their recruiting process was pretty straight forward.

I applied for the position through my college's career services and meet with representatives at our school's Actuarial Career Fair.

First interview was a phone interview with a HR representative and was generally a behavioral interview.

The second interview was another phone interview, but it was two 30 minute interviews with some of their senior actuaries. This interview was part behavioral and part technical. Most of the questions in this interview were regarding things listed in my resume. Heavy focus on what I did during my actuarial internships with a different life insurance company.

The third and final interview was a full day interview. I was flown out to their office in Minneapolis. This was a pretty grueling day because they set up eight 30 minute interviews. The people who interviewed me were a combination of people who would of been my peers, individuals who would of been my direct managers, and finally an interview with the director of the group. One interview with a direct manager was particularly difficult because he covered this face with a sheet of paper after asking every question, making it difficult to gauge his reactions to my responses.

After the third interview I was informed I received the offer approximately a week and half later. The offer had a two week deadline to respond too.

In my job hunt process, Allianz had the best HR representative which made the whole process very smooth and simple.

Interview Question – Technical Questions: Included answering questions about how specific things in Excel work (such as what do pivot tables work, how to use VBA macros, etc). Similarly there were technical questions about my understanding of how Universal Life Insurance and Variable Life Annuities (their main products). Finally since I was interviewing for a role within in their more Modeling and Systems group, I was asked some specifics about my knowledge of SQL, JAVA, and C++.

Behavior Questions: Can you provide context to why your GPA is what it is (I had a 3.0 while I believe most of their candidates tend to be in the 3.5 range)? Can you talk about a time when you have failed? Standard behavioral questions for the most part.

Hardest Questions: Some of the technical questions were pretty difficult, but my intern experience allowed me to answer them. I think I would of been stuck if I did not have the intern experience, because it was things we weren't taught in school ( I am an actuarial science major).

The one question I froze on was ironically: What makes Life Insurance profitable?
I was confused whether they wanted a technical answer like explaining how to price life insurance or if they were looking for something else.

The interview with the director of the group was probably the most interesting. He only asked one question and it was pretty blunt(and pretty creative if you ask me). He asked more or less "What makes you different from all the other Actuarial candidates we see and why should I give you a shot at this job?"
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – Allianz Life gave me an awesome offer full with a fair market value salary and generous benefit package. I turned down the opportunity because I was able to find a similar position in a consulting firm, and just had more desire to work in consulting.

Actuarial Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Allianz Life.

Interview Details – The interviewee was very serious and never lightened up during the interview. He asked really tough questions and kept probing even though it was pretty impossible (for a fresh grad) to answer since it was so technical.

Interview Question – What benefit plans are there for employees?   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Allianz Life in June 2012.

Interview Details – Within one week of applying online, I received an offer for a phone screening interview. After the phone screening interview, I had two separate interviews with different actuarial hiring managers. I received a rejection email the following week, which I appreciate, because many companies don't have the courtesy to send rejection letters or emails anymore.

The human resources staff was helpful and friendly, but the actuarial hiring managers were unenthusiastic and didn't have very good answers to my question of why do you think Allianz has received two best places to work awards.

Interview Questions

• What's been your biggest mistake in your career thus far?   View Answer
  • There were a few technical questions regarding software pertinent to actuaries. You'd really have to be familiar with the software in order to answer the questions...no faking it 'til you make it here.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Allianz Life in December 2011.

Interview Details – There were a lot of behavioral questions. Some of the ones that stumped me were: describe a time when you changed a process. How would you describe a perfect boss?

Interview Question – Describe to me time when you changed a process.   Answer Question

Worked for Allianz Life? Contribute to the Community!